• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

wojtus11 #1 Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:29 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 50121 battles
  • [TMDA] TMDA

Hi,

With new sound engine in 9.14, FMOD becomes obsolete for modding sounds, especially crew voiceovers.

Does anyone know a tutorial or software for new WWise platform?

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #2 Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8791 battles

Currently, I could only get crew voice modding to work, because the rest of the sounds are stored in res/packages/audioww.pkg - the format of this binary is undocumented, and while Ravioli Game Tools allows you to view and extract the .bnk files within it, I'm currently not aware of any way to modify it. However, the standard (default) American English crew voices are stored in res/audioww/voiceover.bnk

First ensure you have disabled national crew voices (ie all of your tanks crews should speak American English) by setting the crew voice dropdown in Settings->Sounds to "Standard". From there:

1) Convert whatever sound files you want to use into .wav format using a converter of your choice

2) Get the Wwise software from Audiokinetic, create an empty project, add your .wav files, and run conversion, which should output a bunch of .wem files in the project's .cache directory (detailed tutorials on this can be googled)

3) Backup res/audioww/voiceover.bnk

4) Now "all" that's left is getting your modded .wem files into the .bnk file. I'm writing a nice little piece of software to do just that, but it's still WIP so not very useful to non-developers. Until then, people could use Ravioli Game Tools though to open voiceover.bnk and listen to the 317 crew voice files within it, so that we know which numeric ID is what kind of sound effect (ie what to replace).

This WFM on 9.14 CT, here's hoping the actual patch won't change anything compared to that

Edited by nemlengyel, 09 March 2016 - 08:01 PM.

wojtus11 #3 Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:53 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 50121 battles
  • [TMDA] TMDA

.pkg can be easily extracted as .zip files, however I have not tested if repacking them back with standard pkzip will work.

Bad thing is, voiceover.bnk contains only English, so to make voiceover mod working for players with different language selected, it will require mod to be 600MB large. Unless we find a way not to change .bnk libraries, but create own "sound events index", like .fev now.

Edited by wojtus11, 09 March 2016 - 11:11 PM.

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #4 Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:18 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8791 battles

View Postwojtus11, on 09 March 2016 - 10:53 PM, said:

.pkg can be easily extracted as .zip files, however I have not tested if repacking them back with standard pkzip will work.

Bad thing is, voiceover.bnk contains only English, so to make voiceover mod working for players with different language selected, it will require mod to be 600MB large. Unless we find a way not to change .bnk libraries, but create own "sound events index", like .fev now.

Lol, I never tried unpacking them as .zip archives, top kek.

But yeah, it's not the unpacking part that's a problem but building the pkg again. I'll mess around with stuff tomorrow when the patch goes live.

wojtus11 #5 Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:29 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 50121 battles
  • [TMDA] TMDA

Cancel that.

voiceover.bnk is changed by the game launcher once you switch languages - so for simple crew voiceover we do not have to touch the big .pkg file.

I've googled a bit and it seems "events" are in the same .bnk as actual sound files, so right now the only option is to replace .wem's inside .bnk.

Let's just hope filenames won't change each patch...

benachie #6 Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

Private

• Player
  • 53606 battles
  • [T_I_A] T_I_A
Well if anyone comes up with a simple file replacement/rename method for exchanging the "standard" US crew voices for GB English ones, could they let me know.  Am tired of all that in can yank talk and I don't speak Russian:)

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #7 Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:05 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8791 battles

View Postbenachie, on 10 March 2016 - 10:22 AM, said:

Well if anyone comes up with a simple file replacement/rename method for exchanging the "standard" US crew voices for GB English ones, could they let me know.  Am tired of all that in can yank talk and I don't speak Russian:)

Here's how:

1) Get Ravioli Game Tools ( http://www.scampers....avioli_download )

2) Use RGT to open res/packages/audioww.pkg

3) Extract uk/voiceover.bnk

4) Backup your original res/audioww/voiceover.bnk file (the US crew voices) and copy the newly extracted Brits in their place

5) Move out, lads!

Nishi_Kinuyo #8 Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:17 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9939 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Would that also work with any of the official WoT voicemods (e.g. the GUP ones)?

I need my Nonna darnit.

Edited by Onisuzume, 10 March 2016 - 06:17 PM.

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #9 Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8791 battles

This is what I smoked up so far - cumbersome and imperfect but it works. Put this C++ program into a directory with your .wem files and a .bnk file you want to mod, compile, then feed it ad nauseam on the standard input. If you're done, hit Ctrl+Z to send an EOF.

Source: https://gist.github....b222c70dd0c8bf9

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #10 Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8791 battles

View PostOnisuzume, on 10 March 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

Would that also work with any of the official WoT voicemods (e.g. the GUP ones)?

I need my Nonna darnit.

no, it won't, since they are for the old sound engine - AFAIK you'd need to create the wem files and get them into the .bnk file using my program or whatever other way you find

Edited by nemlengyel, 10 March 2016 - 06:44 PM.

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #11 Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:18 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8791 battles

@wojtus, I just checked by extracting audioww.pkg with WinRAR, then repacking it again as a zip file. The recreated archive was smaller, but I moved it back to the res/packages folder, and it seems to work fine! It'd be great if you or someone else could verify this too ^^

This also means that distributing sound mods would consist of providing the users with the .bnk files, plus a shell script/program that would create a backup of audioww.pkg, extract it as a ZIP archive, copy our modded .bnks over then just zip it back again. This way, ppl wouldn't have to download 600+ MB archives for each sound mod.

Also note that most of the sounds in the archive are contained in .pck files - we'll have to find out if it's possible to change something in their corresponding .bnk files so that they read from our source.

Edited by nemlengyel, 10 March 2016 - 07:26 PM.

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #12 Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:35 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8791 battles
also, there seems to be a tool capable of packing .wems into .bnk files at http://forums.lastbu...ead.php?tid=101 - I haven't been able to test it yet, but if it works with WoT, it's probably much more usable than my WIP PoS of a program :)

wojtus11 #13 Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:22 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 50121 battles
  • [TMDA] TMDA

View Postnemlengyel, on 10 March 2016 - 07:18 PM, said:

@wojtus, I just checked by extracting audioww.pkg with WinRAR, then repacking it again as a zip file. The recreated archive was smaller, but I moved it back to the res/packages folder, and it seems to work fine! It'd be great if you or someone else could verify this too ^^

I confirm, repacked .pkg with two different archivers and it works fine.

Another thing, placing voiceover.bnk in res_mods/0.9.14/audioww works! So @benachie you just have to extract your Poms file from audioww.pkg and place it in res_mods, like any other mods. I have not yet tested if other sound banks can be modded using res_mods - would be great!

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #14 Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8791 battles

View Postwojtus11, on 10 March 2016 - 11:22 PM, said:

I confirm, repacked .pkg with two different archivers and it works fine.

Another thing, placing voiceover.bnk in res_mods/0.9.14/audioww works! So @benachie you just have to extract your Poms file from audioww.pkg and place it in res_mods, like any other mods. I have not yet tested if other sound banks can be modded using res_mods - would be great!

One thing we could try out is if creating something like res_mod/0.9.14/audioww/uk/voiceover.bnk works, i.e. if the directory structure in res/audioww overrules that in res/packages. That'd be great.

wojtus11 #15 Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:46 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 50121 battles
  • [TMDA] TMDA

View Postnemlengyel, on 10 March 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

also, there seems to be a tool capable of packing .wems into .bnk files at http://forums.lastbu...ead.php?tid=101 - I haven't been able to test it yet, but if it works with WoT, it's probably much more usable than my WIP PoS of a program :)

I cannot force it to replace a ID inside a .bnk - it throws "duplicate element key" exception. "pack_all" function does not work for me either - looks like it cannot create new .bnk file. So please keep working on your tool :)

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #16 Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:12 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8791 battles

View Postwojtus11, on 10 March 2016 - 11:46 PM, said:

I cannot force it to replace a ID inside a .bnk - it throws "duplicate element key" exception. "pack_all" function does not work for me either - looks like it cannot create new .bnk file. So please keep working on your tool :)

well, it's working and i'm currently updating my fav sound mod with it. Now you can make it so that it goes through the list of ids (so you wont have to type in the id each time), start from a given offset (so that you do the first 30 then continue the work some time later), and if you extract and convert all the .wwise files within the .bnk file to ogg and put it in the same dir (RGT+ww2ogg can do that), it also launches VLC to play the current sound so that you know what you are replacing.

Still doesn't make it any more beautiful though :P

Edited by nemlengyel, 11 March 2016 - 01:12 AM.

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #17 Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:53 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8791 battles

Someone on NA seems to have created an utility too for playing with .bnk files. Here's the thread: http://forum.worldof...ion-and-onward/

The major difference when compared to my approach seems to be that this guy's program requires manually renaming and fiddling with a bunch of .wems and it's unclear if it can do selective replacement of .wems.

wojtus11 #18 Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:10 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 50121 battles
  • [TMDA] TMDA
[del]

Edited by wojtus11, 11 March 2016 - 02:10 AM.

gkarageorgos #19 Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15979 battles
  • [AETOS] AETOS

View Postnemlengyel, on 11 March 2016 - 01:53 AM, said:

Someone on NA seems to have created an utility too for playing with .bnk files. Here's the thread: http://forum.worldof...ion-and-onward/

The major difference when compared to my approach seems to be that this guy's program requires manually renaming and fiddling with a bunch of .wems and it's unclear if it can do selective replacement of .wems.

You are super !!! with this tutorial i make my own sound !!!!

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #20 Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:05 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8791 battles

View Postgkarageorgos, on 11 March 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

You are super !!! with this tutorial i make my own sound !!!!

Yes! Also note that there are a few other sounds (other than crew voices) than can be changed. Here's how:

1) Go to the res/packages folder and find audioww.pkg. Rename this to something like audioww_backup.pkg so it stays safe.

2) Copy audioww.pkg to a folder of your choice. Since this is just a renamed zip file, use your favorite archiver (usually WinRAR or WinZIP) to extract it.

3) Go into the resulting folder. You will see a bunch of .bnk and .pck files. If the .bnk file has a matching .pck file with an identical name, it cannot be modded. If the .bnk file is standalone, you can mod it the same way as the guy on NA described, or use my program or whatever. You can also use Ravioli Game Tools to open the .bnk file you want to mod - if you can use RGT to listen to the sounds inside them, that means you can mod them!

4) Now that you changed the .bnk file, just re-pack the whole folder into a zip archive, and once that's done, rename it to audioww.pkg and put it in res/packages.

5) ???

6) profit

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users