Sound (voice) mods in 9.14

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #41 Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9014 battles

View PostAim_Drol, on 14 March 2016 - 06:01 PM, said:

I understood that. I'm curious though if I have to fiddle with the xml file if I create a new custom soundbank (with the sound of the CoD hitmarker) , that doesn't replace an existing one, to be able to play that sound or if I just have to use the ID from the soundbank (the equivalent to  vo_commander_killed). I guess I should just try it and report back. 

I'm also wondering if there's a convenient way to replace just some of the sound files. I guess somebody could do the tedious job and rebuild the ingame_voice in a Wwise projekt and share that one. Then you could use a copy of that project to just replace the sounds you want and create the sound bank.

To replace just some of the sound files, you need to edit sound_notifications.xml. For example, to have a different voice for the commander's death, you would change vo_commander_killed to something like mycoolmod_commander_killed, and then create a custom .bnk that will only contain this event. You will then have to instruct WoT to load your new bnk too by adding a line for it in engine_config.xml (search for voiceover.bnk in that file, you need a line like that with your custom .bnk file name of course)

Aim_Drol #42 Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24792 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL
Yeah I noticed that. It's really annoying that you have to edit the engine_config.xml as well if you want to add new sound banks.

wojtus11 #43 Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:41 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 52704 battles
  • [TMDA] TMDA
Interesting: I have created "lightbulb" event in my own voiceover.bnk (this event should be in gui.bnk instead). And it worked! 6th sense notification got replaced, and no conflict with original gui.bnk. I can't promise it will work for any sound.

Edited by wojtus11, 14 March 2016 - 11:44 PM.

VonKafe #44 Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:53 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 20880 battles
  • [-BUNS] -BUNS
I have a problem with updating my crew voice over mode. Some sounds work fine, but some don't work at all. For example I can't get vo_vehicle_destroyed working. I am using this Wwise project http://leteckaposta.cz/144526794

Aim_Drol #45 Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:18 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24792 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View Postwojtus11, on 14 March 2016 - 11:41 PM, said:

Interesting: I have created "lightbulb" event in my own voiceover.bnk (this event should be in gui.bnk instead). And it worked! 6th sense notification got replaced, and no conflict with original gui.bnk. I can't promise it will work for any sound.

I guess it will prefer to load any event from the voicebanks in res_mods first so it should work for every event.

View PostVonKafe, on 15 March 2016 - 12:53 AM, said:

I have a problem with updating my crew voice over mode. Some sounds work fine, but some don't work at all. For example I can't get vo_vehicle_destroyed working. I am using this Wwise project http://leteckaposta.cz/144526794

I have a similar problem. I followed the steps from wojtus11 and created a custom soundbank for the sounds of my MLG mod and it works fine ingame. But my custom voiceover.bnk does not work at all, no sound is played at all. Never mind. I created a custom conversion setting (ShareSets (in the Project Explorer) > Conversion Settings > Default Worker Unit > New Child (context menu) > Conversion Setting >  Edit (context menu) > Format: Vorbis and Quality: 6) for my audio files and now it works.

Next edit: vo_vehicle_destroyed is not working for me either.

Edited by Aim_Drol, 15 March 2016 - 02:57 AM.

karvalegoff #46 Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:03 AM

Private

• Player
  • 27 battles

View Postnemlengyel, on 14 March 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

Aaaaaand... I just tested and you don't need my program. Or anything else for that matter. All you need is Audiokinetic WWISE and maybe a WAV converter of your choice. No messing with .bnk files, no command line. Just convenient GUI audio editing like a boss.

1) Create a new project in WWISE. File->Project Settings->General->Event Creation: untick "Add action name". Source Settings: set conversion settings to Vorbis Quality High.

2) Start looking at WoT's sound_notification.xml: https://gist.github....f273bac357800c4 Only the <wwsound> tags are important: they contain the event names like vo_target_captured.

3) For each event name, right-click Actor-Mixer Hierarchy -> Default Work Unit -> New Child -> Random Container, name this the same as the event.

4) Right-click your new container, Import Audio Files, import your shiny new sounds, rinse and repeat till you are done.

5) Once done, select all the containers you created, right-click, then select New Event (One Event per Object)->Play.

6) Right-click again, Multi-edit->Source Settings->Conversion Settings, tick Override conversion settings and select Vorbis Quality High.

6) Select Layouts->Soundbank from the upper menu, create a new soundbank, drag in all your events, click Generate, fetch your .bnk, put it in res_mods/0.9.14/audio, enjoy.

7) If you have more than 200 sound files, WWISE will throw a hissy fit because they want your money. Don't care: just create a soundbank with less than 200 files, generate it, copy it someplace else, delete your events from the soundbank, put the other 200 files in the soundbank, generate that too, then tell WoT in engine_config.xml to load both of them.

Spoiler

I get as far as step 6 but the generate button remains unclickable

OldSkool #47 Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:42 AM

Brigadier

• WGL PRO Player
  • 72122 battles
  • [SKILL] SKILL

View PostAim_Drol, on 14 March 2016 - 08:53 PM, said:

Yeah I noticed that. It's really annoying that you have to edit the engine_config.xml as well if you want to add new sound banks.

Will be changed in 0.9.15. No need of engine_config.xml anymore.

wojtus11 #48 Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:43 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 52704 battles
  • [TMDA] TMDA

View Postkarvalegoff, on 15 March 2016 - 03:03 AM, said:

I get as far as step 6 but the generate button remains unclickable

Select platform (Windows) and language (English).

wojtus11 #49 Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 52704 battles
  • [TMDA] TMDA

Another pending issue: volume.

Original voiceover.bnk events respond to "Interface and notifications" volume slider.

My custom voiceover.bnk does not, only master volume slider is effective.

So I suppose in WWise I should use some "magic word" in event or soundbank definition, so it will fall into specific sound category (the one slider is connected to). Anyone can help with this?

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #50 Posted 15 March 2016 - 04:19 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9014 battles

View PostAim_Drol, on 15 March 2016 - 02:18 AM, said:

I guess it will prefer to load any event from the voicebanks in res_mods first so it should work for every event.

I have a similar problem. I followed the steps from wojtus11 and created a custom soundbank for the sounds of my MLG mod and it works fine ingame. But my custom voiceover.bnk does not work at all, no sound is played at all. Never mind. I created a custom conversion setting (ShareSets (in the Project Explorer) > Conversion Settings > Default Worker Unit > New Child (context menu) > Conversion Setting >  Edit (context menu) > Format: Vorbis and Quality: 6) for my audio files and now it works.

Next edit: vo_vehicle_destroyed is not working for me either.

Yeah, that's what the Multi-Edit step in my tutorial is supposed to do, maybe I messed up my instructions there

Aim_Drol #51 Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24792 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View PostE50M_Ausf_Weak, on 15 March 2016 - 10:42 AM, said:

Will be changed in 0.9.15. No need of engine_config.xml anymore.

Well that's nice to hear but I still have to deal with it until then. 

View Postwojtus11, on 15 March 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

Another pending issue: volume.

Original voiceover.bnk events respond to "Interface and notifications" volume slider.

My custom voiceover.bnk does not, only master volume slider is effective.

So I suppose in WWise I should use some "magic word" in event or soundbank definition, so it will fall into specific sound category (the one slider is connected to). Anyone can help with this?

I would have expected that to be handled by some config file but then again it's WG.

karvalegoff #52 Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:31 PM

Private

• Player
  • 27 battles
this is frustrating, I just can't get this to work, I manage to follow your steps and my output is a 1kb soundbank file and a bunch of .wem files, which I assume are the sound files

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #53 Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9014 battles

View Postkarvalegoff, on 15 March 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

this is frustrating, I just can't get this to work, I manage to follow your steps and my output is a 1kb soundbank file and a bunch of .wem files, which I assume are the sound files

did you import the audio files into the containers?

did you add the events inside the containers?

screenshots of your WWISE project interface?

Aim_Drol #54 Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:32 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24792 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL
Is there a nice and easy way to check which vanilla sounds are associated to a certain event? I'd like to know that for vo_enemies_sighted and vo_enemy_sighted. I could write a python script and play the sounds with it but I hope that there's a cleaner way.

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #55 Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9014 battles

View PostAim_Drol, on 15 March 2016 - 10:32 PM, said:

Is there a nice and easy way to check which vanilla sounds are associated to a certain event? I'd like to know that for vo_enemies_sighted and vo_enemy_sighted. I could write a python script and play the sounds with it but I hope that there's a cleaner way.

I'm not sure if there is one. WWISE only stores numeric identifiers and no filenames in the .bnk archives. Guess one could write a program to extract all files for a given event ID, but then why not use your python script :P

Edited by nemlengyel, 15 March 2016 - 10:58 PM.

wojtus11 #56 Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:50 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 52704 battles
  • [TMDA] TMDA

View Postnemlengyel, on 15 March 2016 - 10:57 PM, said:

I'm not sure if there is one. WWISE only stores numeric identifiers and no filenames in the .bnk archives. Guess one could write a program to extract all files for a given event ID, but then why not use your python script :P

Hmm, I don't agree. There must be name of the event inside .bnk, because our custom .bnk work this way. Perhaps it's not the name itself, but a hash of it, but I doubt it.

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #57 Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:14 AM

Private

• Player
  • 9014 battles

View Postwojtus11, on 15 March 2016 - 11:50 PM, said:

Hmm, I don't agree. There must be name of the event inside .bnk, because our custom .bnk work this way. Perhaps it's not the name itself, but a hash of it, but I doubt it.

IDK, the file format info at http://wiki.xentax.c...oundBank_(*.bnk) does not contain anything like that. But then again, maybe it's somewhere there...

karvalegoff #58 Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:40 AM

Private

• Player
  • 27 battles
this is what I've been getting (sometimes) the soundbank file doesn't work, in that the sounds don't play, other times I just get a 1kb .bnk file and a bunch of .wem's in the generatedsoundbanks folder

Unsportsmanlike_Conduct #59 Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:48 AM

Private

• Player
  • 9014 battles

View Postkarvalegoff, on 16 March 2016 - 12:40 AM, said:

this is what I've been getting (sometimes) the soundbank file doesn't work, in that the sounds don't play, other times I just get a 1kb .bnk file and a bunch of .wem's in the generatedsoundbanks folder

wait, the event viewer seems to be showing that you created individual events for each file?

you should create an event for only the container, and be sure to name the event "sixthsense".

also check your conversion settings, like Aimdrol here had to fiddle with them too

Edited by nemlengyel, 16 March 2016 - 12:53 AM.

wojtus11 #60 Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:30 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 52704 battles
  • [TMDA] TMDA

View Postnemlengyel, on 16 March 2016 - 12:14 AM, said:

IDK, the file format info at http://wiki.xentax.c...oundBank_(*.bnk) does not contain anything like that. But then again, maybe it's somewhere there...

Probably that specs is incomplete... Anyway reading it I suspect volume slider-assignments are controlled by thing called "AudioBus". If I only knew this bus number. Or name. :>

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users