Internet scam alert (not WoT related)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #1 Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:11 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to make everyone aware of a type of scam (failed, I was aware) which is used in several european countries at the moment.

Today I received a phonecall from "Microsoft Security" telling me they suspect that my PC is infected and that they would like to inspect my computer.

(First of all. No such department and Microsoft doesn't call you unless you specifically requested to be called by support....).

So I thought let's play...

First they want to convince you they know your customer liscense id using (ask you if your Consumer License ID is <verylong CLSID number which means nothing>. This is actually the CLSID for a file class used on your computer. they can use several different of these codes to fool you) You see this code and think "Yep, that is the code I see, that must be "Microsoft Security" for real, and that is my ID".

Next they wanted me to use the command prompt and type (DON'T, I repeat DO NOT EVER DO THIS) assoc.exe=file.

This changes all .exe into txt files and renders your computer useless.

Yes there are commands to change it back, but since most browsers are run from .exe files, you can't google for the solution anymore.

Very dangerous if you have absolutely no idea what is happening.

The next step would have been (after the FREE inspection) a small fee to get it fixed.

But we never got that far of course.

I also reported the phone numbers used to make the call to the police.

Anyway. Don't fall for the "Microsoft Security": I think you might be infected by malware" ploy.

"Microsoft Security" does not exist or call people.

Edited by Spek_en_Bonen, 14 March 2016 - 02:20 PM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #2 Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7656 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Thanks for the heads up.

As always, Microsoft, Apple, or whatever company produced your operating system couldn't care less whether or not your PC is infected, nor should there be any way for them to legally know or suspect it.

In case you're wondering about what command they tell you to use, you can read more about it on this website: http://www.computerhope.com/assoc.htm

Basically, you're telling your computer that an executable file (.exe) has to be opened using a different program/protocol than normal.

One note of some importance: on my Windows 7 computer, I had to use an elevated cmd console (e.g. opened with admin rights) to actually make it happen. If your user account does not have administrator rights, it should be a bit of a problem to make it happen.

The group who is most at risk to such things are home-users, since any corporation should have their IT people give employees training in how to handle such things (e.g. have them contact your system administrator).

Kinda sad that there's still people out there who hope to scare people into doing such things. :facepalm:

Xino9922 #3 Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:16 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16016 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

This old trick. They've been up to this for years now. 

Got called once, problem is I use linux @home. So I had a good time fooling whoever was on the other side of the line. Also tracking where in the world that person was from (using public phone number to scam isn't that smart you dumbarse). :harp:

rsanders5 #4 Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:37 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25892 battles

Tried on me a while back by phoning & saying we had a problem on our pc,

my wife took the call as I was busy on the (broken) computer. Being a Scouser

she told them where to get off, as she looked my shoulder at the fully working

''broken'' pc

Homer_J #5 Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:22 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28291 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

These muppets call me sometimes 3 times a day.  Sometimes from "Microsoft technical department", sometimes they pick a random ISP.

What they don't like.

Windows 3.1

Linux

PC which takes 5 minutes to boot then BSODs ... twice

The sound of the toilet flushing when you've left the phone on the cistern

Being asked to follow their own script at their end

Also they know nothing about gardening

Edited by Homer_J, 15 March 2016 - 12:24 PM.

DingIsHere #6 Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:56 PM

Colonel

• Clan Commander
  • 15970 battles
  • [4Q2] 4Q2

Start discussing the relative merits of a wooden spoon, a spatula or table tennis bat for role-playing...

Had one from London call me, using a normal landline, obviously an "employee", I managed to get his name, number, address and postcode from him.. and the "company" name and boss, told him he was involved in an illegal scam and that I was passing the info to the police... he said he understood and carried on with his script...

Homer_J #7 Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:24 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28291 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I asked one to call me back later one time.  To my surprise they did.  After I recovered from the shock I asked them to call me on a different number and gave them the fraud office at Scotland Yard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users