Premium Tanks Disscussion Help Gold Purchasing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Facewasp #1 Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:10 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4789 battles

Hello Fellow Tankers!

I have started this topic because I'm having difficulty in choosing which Tier 8 Premium Medium tank to pick, here are my options:

Fv 4202 (P)

Pz- 58 Mutz

M46 Patton KR

T26E4 Super Pershing

AMX CDC

T-54 First Prototype

M4A1 Rev

T-34-3

Panther 88

Before you ask why I'm not getting a heavy tank, I'm already replying that £30+ price tag is not for me. I have been looking at the comet line which would favour the British medium tank but I have been told otherwise.

I am open to all of your suggestions about which tank is best and which line I should use them on. Currently I have a Rhm Borsig as my top tier and are going up the US & German heavy ( Ikr tough luck).

Will I make the most silver at this tier or  would it be better to get 1/2 Tier 7's?

Thanks for your help.

See you on the battlefield

Facewasp #2 Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:22 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4789 battles
& STA-2

Plavkonzi #3 Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

Private

• Player
  • 430 battles
Best option is FCM 50t.
Yes it is heavy, but you playing that tank like its medium, and it is better then half of that mediums. Best tier 8 tank in game.

bazdaris #4 Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:08 AM

Major

• Player
  • 34691 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
CdC so much fun

Visionx_LV #5 Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34971 battles

I would only recommend you to improve your stats to at least 50% win ratio and getting some regular T8 medium tank. Mediums tanks are not really easy especially if you don't have any idea what you should do in them. You will only fail and get frustrated about the games as well as being burden to your team. And if you are in so serious needs of premium tank, get a heavy tank, they are a bit more noob friendly.

Moreover you don't even have more than 2000 games, and I think that its not a good decision to invest that amount of money in game so early. 

Edited by Visionx_LV, 21 March 2016 - 12:09 PM.

MR_FIAT #6 Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19618 battles
  • [_RBP_] _RBP_

You have played 1.3k battles. i would not suggest buying a tier 8 this early,  wouldnt do yourself or your team any favours. also afaik tier 8 prems dont get nearly as much bonus xp as a tier 5 for example,  tier 8s are commonly used to farm credits. (decent game nets 50k without premium time) 

Facewasp #7 Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4789 battles
I appreciate all of your comments about improving my win rate and battles played. I have played an additional 1300 battles on WOT Xbox and commonly play in a platoon with people that have much better stats than me (54% & 1500 WN8). I am enjoying this game but lack in experience and knowledge of the maps and locations. My best tank has 200 battles & around a 56% (Pz Sfl IVc) with others such as the M4A3E2 with great carrying capability. I'm just struggling to earn the credits because it is being sunk into my Borsig (Yes I have got it early and I mostly play TD's-hence the Win rate) but on my Mediums I think I do well.  
I don't want to be one of those tomato's in a T34/Lowe. I'm not a noob player as I take the game seriously but don't find the time to play that often with TD's sinking my Win rate (Sturer 44%).
I have chosen the Fv4202(P) because of recommendations from my friends and I would like to grind the British Medium line after getting the Comet on another platform which I found enjoyable and effective.

Strappster #8 Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:49 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Which crew do you want to train?

Facewasp #9 Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:51 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4789 battles
For a Centurion

Strappster #10 Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:22 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostFacewasp, on 22 March 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

For a Centurion

Then it would make sense to buy a premium that allows you to train a crew for it, which is the FV.

That's not to rule out others as an option, for example I have the Type 64 Chinese light and the crew in that at the moment are my future Chinese heavy crew - retrain for credits and reset skills when they're well into their second skill and I've got a reasonable crew in a tier VII heavy tank from the start instead of training them up in the heavy from 75% base ability and suffering from lack of skills. Trouble is, I won't be able to put them back in the Type 64 for further training without suffering a hefty penalty so it's an approach that's really only suitable for getting new crews up to a level of reasonable competence. I'm doing something similar with the KR for future US crews.

If you want to earn credits, the FCM or IS-6 is the best choice as they have preferential MM and the former plays like a medium (albeit a large medium with MT armour) and the latter can roll forward and rely on its armour to bounce a lot of incoming shells. You say that you don't want to spend £30 on a heavy tank but the T-34-3 is in your list and is a similar price, which is why I mention them here.

Anyway, here are some quick thoughts on each of your choices, FWIW.

Fv 4202 (P)

British medium so you can train your crew, I haven't played it but it seems to do ok in the battles I've played alongside or against it. Decent armour profile, looks like an ok all-rounder.

Pz-58 Mutz

Not played, seems strong and flexible with good armour profile, crew layout matches the tier 9 and 10 Leopards.

M46 Patton KR

Good all-rounder, mobile, excellent gun depression and ability to hit while on the move, armour not as well shaped as the Mutz but capable of bouncing a few shots if you angle it properly.

T26E4 Super Pershing

Not played, slow with good frontal armour but a choice of weak spots, get around it and it's like any other slow medium.

AMX CDC

Difficult to play well, excellent mobility and gun depression but armour is cardboard lined with tin foil and every hit will cause ammo rack damage until you have safe stowage on the loader, whereupon it becomes every other hit. Essentially a light tank that's been enlarged to the size of a house, you'll soon learn the sinking feeling which comes when a city map appears on the loading screen. Not recommended until you're at least at tier 8 in a light tank line and feeling particularly masochistic.

T-54 First Prototype

Slower medium with decent armour, reasonable gun and ok mobility. Pretty good choice as a first tier 8 premium if you're training a Russian crew.

M4A1 Rev

Glass cannon that doesn't have a particularly effective cannon. Armour isn't great but you can bounce a few shells off the mantlet, lack of mobility encourages you to stay at longer range from the enemy but gun handling forces you to get a bit closer to make shots count. APCR as standard ammo means excellent muzzle velocity so you don't have to lead targets very much but lower normalisation coupled with less than great accuracy and low pen means it'll bounce more often than you'd like for a gun that takes over 10 seconds to reload. Not recommended unless you're intent on grinding French mediums but it practically craps out credits.

T-34-3

Played on the test server, essentially a lower and slightly more mobile version of the M4A1 Ravioli with turret armour that makes hull-down positions more viable whereas the gun depression means only certain hull-down spots actually are. Also craps credits and has preferential MM but it's not a Type 59 and the accuracy is lacklustre at best.

Panther 88

Fantastic gun handling, reasonable mobility, armour that is only ok. Needs to be played as a support/sniper, try brawling and you'll be chewed up by heavies and it's not great when trading with other mediums. Can sidescrape if you have to but a penning hit to the LFP will take out the gearbox. Only gets its best gun depression over the side of the tank, which limits hull-down positions and if you expose the side, there's a good chance of ammo rack damage. Not as strong at ramming as the Panther II but can if necessary; I've got controlled impact on my driver for this reason and because I intend for that crew to end up in the E-50M.

STA-2

No idea. Rarity might indicate that it's not a particularly strong tank, the reviews I've seen aren't exactly flattering.

If it was my money, I'd spend it on a tank that would allow me to train a crew for a line I'm working on but when it was my money, I bought a few premiums for lines I'm not grinding either because I wanted them or I wanted to start a crew to use in future, which was a pretty dumb idea as now I have a number of tanks sat in my garage doing nothing while I grind other lines.

If I had my time over again and was at the stage you're at, I'd buy a decent tier 5 or 6 premium and learn to use it well. They don't churn out the credits like a tier 8 but the XP bonus for the crew is higher. Wait for the Berlin Trio to go on sale again and take your pick (Bromwell would be ideal if you're working British mediums) or go with something like the Skoda T 40 - armour isn't up to much but it's mobile and has a good gun for its tier.

If it's got to be a tier 8 premium from the list above and nothing else will do, I'd say get the FV so you can train your British crew. If crew training is a secondary concern, which it really shouldn't be, take your pick of Mutz, KR and T-54mod.1 but none of them will give you the credits you'd get from the FCM or IS-6.

It's your money and you can spend it on whatever you want but my experience of buying a tier 8 premium early on was immensely frustrating because I didn't know what I was doing with it. Investing in a premium account and maybe one or two tier 6 premiums on lines that you're going to grind is where I'd go. The Bromwell and Type 64 are both great tanks which are useful in team battles and tier 6 strongholds.

Also, take a look at joining a training clan like SGTA or W-UNI/HAVOC but that's a different thread. :)

Facewasp #11 Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:02 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4789 battles

View PostStrappster, on 22 March 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

Then it would make sense to buy a premium that allows you to train a crew for it, which is the FV.

That's not to rule out others as an option, for example I have the Type 64 Chinese light and the crew in that at the moment are my future Chinese heavy crew - retrain for credits and reset skills when they're well into their second skill and I've got a reasonable crew in a tier VII heavy tank from the start instead of training them up in the heavy from 75% base ability and suffering from lack of skills. Trouble is, I won't be able to put them back in the Type 64 for further training without suffering a hefty penalty so it's an approach that's really only suitable for getting new crews up to a level of reasonable competence. I'm doing something similar with the KR for future US crews.

If you want to earn credits, the FCM or IS-6 is the best choice as they have preferential MM and the former plays like a medium (albeit a large medium with MT armour) and the latter can roll forward and rely on its armour to bounce a lot of incoming shells. You say that you don't want to spend £30 on a heavy tank but the T-34-3 is in your list and is a similar price, which is why I mention them here.

Anyway, here are some quick thoughts on each of your choices, FWIW.

Fv 4202 (P)

British medium so you can train your crew, I haven't played it but it seems to do ok in the battles I've played alongside or against it. Decent armour profile, looks like an ok all-rounder.

Pz-58 Mutz

Not played, seems strong and flexible with good armour profile, crew layout matches the tier 9 and 10 Leopards.

M46 Patton KR

Good all-rounder, mobile, excellent gun depression and ability to hit while on the move, armour not as well shaped as the Mutz but capable of bouncing a few shots if you angle it properly.

T26E4 Super Pershing

Not played, slow with good frontal armour but a choice of weak spots, get around it and it's like any other slow medium.

AMX CDC

Difficult to play well, excellent mobility and gun depression but armour is cardboard lined with tin foil and every hit will cause ammo rack damage until you have safe stowage on the loader, whereupon it becomes every other hit. Essentially a light tank that's been enlarged to the size of a house, you'll soon learn the sinking feeling which comes when a city map appears on the loading screen. Not recommended until you're at least at tier 8 in a light tank line and feeling particularly masochistic.

T-54 First Prototype

Slower medium with decent armour, reasonable gun and ok mobility. Pretty good choice as a first tier 8 premium if you're training a Russian crew.

M4A1 Rev

Glass cannon that doesn't have a particularly effective cannon. Armour isn't great but you can bounce a few shells off the mantlet, lack of mobility encourages you to stay at longer range from the enemy but gun handling forces you to get a bit closer to make shots count. APCR as standard ammo means excellent muzzle velocity so you don't have to lead targets very much but lower normalisation coupled with less than great accuracy and low pen means it'll bounce more often than you'd like for a gun that takes over 10 seconds to reload. Not recommended unless you're intent on grinding French mediums but it practically craps out credits.

T-34-3

Played on the test server, essentially a lower and slightly more mobile version of the M4A1 Ravioli with turret armour that makes hull-down positions more viable whereas the gun depression means only certain hull-down spots actually are. Also craps credits and has preferential MM but it's not a Type 59 and the accuracy is lacklustre at best.

Panther 88

Fantastic gun handling, reasonable mobility, armour that is only ok. Needs to be played as a support/sniper, try brawling and you'll be chewed up by heavies and it's not great when trading with other mediums. Can sidescrape if you have to but a penning hit to the LFP will take out the gearbox. Only gets its best gun depression over the side of the tank, which limits hull-down positions and if you expose the side, there's a good chance of ammo rack damage. Not as strong at ramming as the Panther II but can if necessary; I've got controlled impact on my driver for this reason and because I intend for that crew to end up in the E-50M.

STA-2

No idea. Rarity might indicate that it's not a particularly strong tank, the reviews I've seen aren't exactly flattering.

If it was my money, I'd spend it on a tank that would allow me to train a crew for a line I'm working on but when it was my money, I bought a few premiums for lines I'm not grinding either because I wanted them or I wanted to start a crew to use in future, which was a pretty dumb idea as now I have a number of tanks sat in my garage doing nothing while I grind other lines.

If I had my time over again and was at the stage you're at, I'd buy a decent tier 5 or 6 premium and learn to use it well. They don't churn out the credits like a tier 8 but the XP bonus for the crew is higher. Wait for the Berlin Trio to go on sale again and take your pick (Bromwell would be ideal if you're working British mediums) or go with something like the Skoda T 40 - armour isn't up to much but it's mobile and has a good gun for its tier.

If it's got to be a tier 8 premium from the list above and nothing else will do, I'd say get the FV so you can train your British crew. If crew training is a secondary concern, which it really shouldn't be, take your pick of Mutz, KR and T-54mod.1 but none of them will give you the credits you'd get from the FCM or IS-6.

It's your money and you can spend it on whatever you want but my experience of buying a tier 8 premium early on was immensely frustrating because I didn't know what I was doing with it. Investing in a premium account and maybe one or two tier 6 premiums on lines that you're going to grind is where I'd go. The Bromwell and Type 64 are both great tanks which are useful in team battles and tier 6 strongholds.

Also, take a look at joining a training clan like SGTA or W-UNI/HAVOC but that's a different thread. :)

​Thank You very much Strappster with you excellent input to this thread. It is much appreciated.

I have finally chosen the Fv4202 (P) because of training and crew reasons, for a quick summary of it:

Pros:

170mm turret without 50/60 degree angling
Good gun handling (2.3s aim)
Effective view range (390m) and radio (750m)
226mm of penetration

Cons:

Annoying 35km/h top speed that is reached with a damaged engine
Very little armour everywhere else against AP (50mm)
Please don't start with 50% crew- its awful
600+ credits for AP standard shell
DPM leaves something to be desired

Strappster #12 Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:26 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Happy I could help.

The top speed may be frustrating if you don't have other tanks that allow you to get used to it and as long as the armour allows you to take a hull-down position, you should be able to work around it. It'll be a pain if you want to flex but that could be my personal bias as I prefer having a mobile tank (he says with a Black Prince in the garage).

Never start any tank with a 50% crew when 75% training is available for credits. Always budget for re-training when buying a new tank and choose crew members who are already in a tank in that line as you don't have to retrain for premiums, that's one of the benefits. As you go up the British line, retrain your crew for the next tank for credits and you'll retain 90% of their experience, then put them in your FV until they're back up to 100%. It might get a little dull playing the same tank repeatedly but it's cheaper than paying gold to retrain when you've got a tank that's ideal for the job.

I don't think that ammo price is particularly excessive - I've just put the 105mm on my Jagdpanther at tier 7 and the AP shells cost Cr.1,030. Besides, if you're not covering your ammo costs then you know you're not doing something right!

I can't help thinking DPM isn't that useful as a stat. It shows what the gun is capable of providing you never miss, you always pen, you're able to fire the moment you've reloaded and your target isn't trying to avoid you or fire back, forcing you to evade. It's something else to compare tanks on but as a real-game stat, I'm not sure it tells you too much.

Anyway, enough waffle - have fun with your new tank! :)

BringE25Back #13 Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2281 battles
CDC or the T-54 Mod. 1 the STA -2 sucks

Facewasp #14 Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4789 battles
Another point is that I have heard that the M4A1 Rev is the worst Tier 8 premium because it lacks in armour and the ROF is awful. Is that rumor true?

Also tagged with Premium, Tanks, Disscussion, Help, Gold, Purchasing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users