Jump to content


Lord of the Ring vs The Hobbit


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Lord of the Ring vs The Hobbit (20 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Which movie should I start with?

  1. Lord of the RIng: The Fellowship of the Ring (15 votes [71.43%])

    Percentage of vote: 71.43%

  2. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (6 votes [28.57%])

    Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Hide poll

HerbertNimble #1 Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 8465 battles
  • 106
  • [P4] P4
  • Member since:
    01-21-2016
Ok, so I'm going to try showing Lord of the Rings to my girlfriend tonight. I tried showing Star Wars IV but she didn't like that one.
 
I'm wondering whether to start with the first part of Lord of the Ring or with The Hobbit though. I haven't seen the Hobbit-movies myself but I've read the book many, many times (I'm a bit of a Tolkien-nerd tbh).
 
The thing is, I kind of like the "Concerning Hobbits"- part of Lord of the Ring, as it gives a nice introduction to the world of Tolkien. Seeing as I haven't seen the hobbit-movies myself, I'm wondering which one would best catch the interest of an uninitiated.

Edited by HerbertNimble, 23 March 2016 - 08:23 PM.


UrQuan #2 Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:24 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 19711 battles
  • 6,352
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-19-2011

I would say the Lord of the Rings. the first movie especially is a good way to introduce someone to the series as it's the calmest of the three, spending time to introduce most characters. It also serves as a nice buildup to the next two movies.

 

Imo, the hobbit trilogy movies were a bit too much action (and they should have made the first movie of it more quiet, to give people the time to learn all the dwarfs a bit more before plunging into action) That said, second movie does offer the best dragon I've seen on screen. Smaug is the Dragon.



Hexen #3 Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:24 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 22959 battles
  • 1,696
  • [ORCA] ORCA
  • Member since:
    10-23-2013
Bit of an odd one but i will play along :)  Hobbit first as it is the first book but the CGI will be disappointing when she watches lord of the Rings…. But never the less good films and good luck,  not many women like those films anyway. 

HerbertNimble #4 Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:38 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 8465 battles
  • 106
  • [P4] P4
  • Member since:
    01-21-2016

View PostHexen, on 23 March 2016 - 08:24 PM, said:

Bit of an odd one but i will play along 

 

Well, seeing as this is the nerdiest game I'm playing at the moment and the only one I visit any forums for, you guys are it for now. :P

 

View PostUrQuan, on 23 March 2016 - 08:24 PM, said:

I would say the Lord of the Rings. the first movie especially is a good way to introduce someone to the series as it's the calmest of the three, spending time to introduce most characters. It also serves as a nice buildup to the next two movies.

 

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

As for the statement that not many women like these films, we've been following Game of Thrones and more recently the Shannara Chronicles so I think the fantasy-setting will appeal more to her than the sci-fi seting of Star Wars.

 


Edited by HerbertNimble, 23 March 2016 - 08:40 PM.


Hexen #5 Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:55 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 22959 battles
  • 1,696
  • [ORCA] ORCA
  • Member since:
    10-23-2013

View PostHerbertNimble, on 23 March 2016 - 07:38 PM, said:

 

Well, seeing as this is the nerdiest game I'm playing at the moment and the only one I visit any forums for, you guys are it for now. :P

 

Lol.. Ok but I cant watch the last films first,  I know they were made that way but its like watching starwars, episode 4 a new hope before episode 1 the phantom menace,  I think the prequel needs to be watched first in my opinion. 



_TrainHardFightEasy_ #6 Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:01 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 274 battles
  • 2
  • Member since:
    03-20-2016
I would say start with Lord Of The Rings, mainly because of the steady build up where as when I started to watch Hobbit (the first part) I got kind of lost and skipped it to the second one, and finally third (Battle of Five Armies) and the last two were great. First Lord of the rings I found boring compared to the last two parts because of less fighting i.e. Battle of Middle Earth or Battle of Helms Deep but still, great films. Start with LOTR :)

Velvet_Underground #7 Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:12 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 22243 battles
  • 3,192
  • Member since:
    12-19-2014
I'd say Lord of the rings since it simply is (imo ofc) the better film (and part of the better trilogy).

HerbertNimble #8 Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:38 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 8465 battles
  • 106
  • [P4] P4
  • Member since:
    01-21-2016

View PostHexen, on 23 March 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

Lol.. Ok but I cant watch the last films first,  I know they were made that way but its like watching starwars, episode 4 a new hope before episode 1 the phantom menace,  I think the prequel needs to be watched first in my opinion. 

Well, I would agree with you on the prequel thing but then again, as I said, the introduction and easing into the wonderful world of Tolkien is quite nice in LOTR.

 

View Post_TrainHardFightEasy_, on 23 March 2016 - 09:01 PM, said:

I would say start with Lord Of The Rings, mainly because of the steady build up where as when I started to watch Hobbit (the first part) I got kind of lost and skipped it to the second one, and finally third (Battle of Five Armies) and the last two were great. First Lord of the rings I found boring compared to the last two parts because of less fighting i.e. Battle of Middle Earth or Battle of Helms Deep but still, great films. Start with LOTR :)

Yes, as I remember from the books, even Gandalf had troubles keeping the, dwarves apart. lol

 

LOTR boring!? YOU HEATHEN! :P

 

View PostVelvet_Underground, on 23 March 2016 - 09:12 PM, said:

I'd say Lord of the rings since it simply is (imo ofc) the better film (and part of the better trilogy).

Well, I like The Hobbit too but mainly because I'm a nerd and I've read pretty much all of Tolkiens novels.


Edited by HerbertNimble, 23 March 2016 - 09:41 PM.


Hexen #9 Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:08 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 22959 battles
  • 1,696
  • [ORCA] ORCA
  • Member since:
    10-23-2013

View PostHerbertNimble, on 23 March 2016 - 08:38 PM, said:

Well, I would agree with you on the prequel thing but then again, as I said, the introduction and easing into the wonderful world of Tolkien is quite nice in LOTR

True it does tell the start a little simpler to get an understanding of what its about but the best versions are the extended editions on both films.  I too love those films but was a little disapointed that they left a load out from the books but hey they are still good fiction/action films that I always enjoy to watch. 


Edited by Hexen, 23 March 2016 - 11:09 PM.


steview162 #10 Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:47 PM

    Brigadier

  • Clan Diplomat
  • 34510 battles
  • 4,136
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-
  • Member since:
    05-06-2011

Block Quote

 Ok, so I'm going to try showing Lord of the Rings to my girlfriend tonight

 

As long as that's not a euphemism, I vote for Hobbit. 



HerbertNimble #11 Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:05 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 8465 battles
  • 106
  • [P4] P4
  • Member since:
    01-21-2016

View PostHexen, on 23 March 2016 - 10:08 PM, said:

True it dose tell the start simple to get an understanding of what its about but the best versions are the extended editions on both films.  I too love those films but was a little disapointed that they left a load out from the books but hey they are still good fiction/action films that I always enjoy to watch. 

Well. seeing as I'm a nerd, nothing but the extended versions are good enough. She doesn't know it yet but she's in for a three-hour viewing tonight (as I'm leaning towards LOTR rather than the Hobbit).

 

:trollface:

View Poststeview162, on 23 March 2016 - 10:47 PM, said:

 

As long as that's not a euphemism, I vote for Hobbit. 

lol


Edited by HerbertNimble, 23 March 2016 - 11:06 PM.


Hexen #12 Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:13 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 22959 battles
  • 1,696
  • [ORCA] ORCA
  • Member since:
    10-23-2013
Hahaha.. Nice one and GL but I bet she will be outers and sleeping away after the first half hour like my missis does or she will keep asking you who everybody is and whats their role several times during the film. 

Flustered_Ferret #13 Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:03 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 1357 battles
  • 1,475
  • Member since:
    11-08-2015

Girlfriend?

 

I vote neither.

 

You want either the Hunger Games movies or Twilight saga. ;)

 

The Hobbit and LOTR are strictly guy movies that females usually find boring...

 



HerbertNimble #14 Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:28 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 8465 battles
  • 106
  • [P4] P4
  • Member since:
    01-21-2016

I will report back what she thought about it..

 

:popcorn:



HerbertNimble #15 Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:15 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 8465 battles
  • 106
  • [P4] P4
  • Member since:
    01-21-2016
Well, she likes it and her favourite is Gimli. :ohmy:

_b_ #16 Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:57 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 55227 battles
  • 4,036
  • Member since:
    04-06-2011
Sounds like a keeper....if she also likes tanks....marry her! :)

UrQuan #17 Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:37 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 19711 battles
  • 6,352
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-19-2011

View PostHerbertNimble, on 25 March 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

Well, she likes it and her favourite is Gimli. :ohmy:

 

Knew it! Most women like the first movie of LotR because of the slow pace & the time they use to introduce all the characters, so they get to know them. But surprised she likes Gimli tho. Most women tend to like Aragorn or Legolas. Then again, stereotypes are just that, generalizations of commonly perceived choices/looks etc :harp:

 

Does mean she'll be in for a fun time with the next movies where Gimli gets some nice scenes!

 

PS: I do like the first movie as well, I find that character introductions tend to be under-rated in alot of movies that are inteded to be part of a multi-movie franchise. It's where The Hobbit trilogy also falls short in imo. Character introductions help alot in building an understanding with said characters, so you care more about them in scenes they play in.



HerbertNimble #18 Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:48 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 8465 battles
  • 106
  • [P4] P4
  • Member since:
    01-21-2016

View Post_b_, on 25 March 2016 - 05:57 PM, said:

Sounds like a keeper....if she also likes tanks....marry her! :)

 

Well, she's not into tanks but she's still a keeper.. ..and yes, I will marry her.

 

View PostUrQuan, on 26 March 2016 - 01:37 PM, said:

 

Knew it! Most women like the first movie of LotR because of the slow pace & the time they use to introduce all the characters, so they get to know them. But surprised she likes Gimli tho. Most women tend to like Aragorn or Legolas. Then again, stereotypes are just that, generalizations of commonly perceived choices/looks etc :harp:

 

Does mean she'll be in for a fun time with the next movies where Gimli gets some nice scenes!

 

PS: I do like the first movie as well, I find that character introductions tend to be under-rated in alot of movies that are inteded to be part of a multi-movie franchise. It's where The Hobbit trilogy also falls short in imo. Character introductions help alot in building an understanding with said characters, so you care more about them in scenes they play in.

 

Yes, that's what stereotypes do. But I guess she likes men with facial hair. Like myself..    :teethhappy:

 

Yes, character introductions are important but most of all, it's the general introduction to hobbits that makes the first movie (and book) so great. You get a real feel for how the hobbits are and their lives which is something you don't get from The Hobbit. In the Hobbit (the book), you do get a short introduction of Hobbits but more of a visual description of Hobbits rather than their mindset and general lives (if I recall correctly, it's been a few years since I last read it).



K_A #19 Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:05 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 13643 battles
  • 4,665
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    04-18-2013

I'd simply forget the Hobbit movies ever existed, watch the extended editions of Lord of the Rings. And I really mean it, get the extended ones, I find them A LOT better than the theatrical releases!

 

EDIT ah I see you have the extended ones already. Good! Next step after the movies would be to make her watch all the appendices of the 5-part sets of each movie:B


Edited by K_A, 26 March 2016 - 10:07 PM.


Pansenmann #20 Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:10 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 34341 battles
  • 12,725
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    08-17-2012

View PostK_A, on 26 March 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

I'd simply forget the Hobbit movies ever existed, watch the extended editions of Lord of the Rings. And I really mean it, get the extended ones, I find them A LOT better than the theatrical releases!

 

EDIT ah I see you have the extended ones already. Good! Next step after the movies would be to make her watch all the appendices of the 5-part sets of each movie:B

 

Which is a very good idea.

The making of material from the extended versions is very very enjoyable,

especially when you followed the works of Alan Lee and John Howe well before the movies were in concept stage.

Astonishing to see how much of their previous work they brought into those movies. :)

 

The extended hobbit movies are also not bad.


Edited by Pansenmann, 27 March 2016 - 09:10 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users