Sherman v's Panther v's Pershing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

guardianangel #1 Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:51 AM

Private

• Player
  • 63121 battles
  • [KMPH] KMPH
watch this film documentary second world war :)
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Nodwick #2 Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:34 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 50877 battles
Incredibly creative spelling.

LiamNL #3 Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:44 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5084 battles
i hate the sound, weird black and white vision (you cant see a thing) and the action is missing
you see 3 shells from the pershing but you dont see him fireing or the panther or the sherman <_<

marko4231 #4 Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 16357 battles
The lesson of that film could be : dont let them shooty your side armor <_< , and Panther was powered by Mayback angine  :lol:

Stil its disgusting to see M26 and us infantry shooting at a burning tank and at the crew that was trying to get out of it, when clearly first shot was enough to disable the tank :angry:

jbvd227 #5 Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 5825 battles
seen this vids over n over n over again, u all should check out this web site that i found... http://www.anicursor...colpicwar2.html
its about that particular battle that took place at Cologne, Germany, on the 6th of March, 1945.

jbvd227 #6 Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:29 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 5825 battles

View Postmarko4231, on 10 September 2011 - 11:07 AM, said:

The lesson of that film could be : dont let them shooty your side armor <_< , and Panther was powered by Mayback angine  :lol:

Stil its disgusting to see M26 and us infantry shooting at a burning tank and at the crew that was trying to get out of it, when clearly first shot was enough to disable the tank :angry:

i second that....

Treehuggin #7 Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15537 battles

Ain't war hell?

pipokoeien #8 Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4725 battles
War turns humanbeings into monsters. It doesn't really which side, i'm afraid.

theta0123 #9 Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 7399 battles
  • [FHA] FHA

War is hell. SS panzer devisions got the actual order to always shoot the tank crews, while it was preffered in regular devisions to not shoot at tank crews, this was also a mutual understanding between tank crews of both sides. The photographer testified that the M26 crew did NOT fired at the actuall crew itself with the machineguns, but the infantry did so. Tank crews where however instructed to ALWAYS shoot more then one times on a tank. This goes for german tank crews aswel.

As you can see, after the second shot, the Pershing crew saw that the crew was escaping, in wich they stopped firing. They resumed fire after that however, as they knew, just as with every tank crew, that after 7 seconds in a burning gasoline tank, you had no chance of escaping.

But yeah, Assholes are everywhere commanding forces...Patton was one of them, and also instructed there crews to show "No mercy at all" against german tank crews. The infantry followed this way more then tank crews however. Especialy Veterans who knew what it was when your tank was hit..And on fire...

marko4231 #10 Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 16357 battles
LOL I  must have been quoted some 10 times  :rolleyes:  stil, i think that a fully functional tank is the enemy , not the crew, or the tank itself.
So if the tank is imobilised, you are left with a tank wreck ( cant hurt you) and crew ( homo sapiens , kinda like you) so in my mind no more shooting :Smile_great:

With exeption of WOT, where you have ghost-manned tanks, no crew to kill  :D

Dr_Nooooo #11 Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 13211 battles
That's war, and war is hell. Why should you not kill the crew? Let them run and come back with a new T-34 attacking you the next day?

Vivisector #12 Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 45420 battles
  • [A-B] A-B

View Posttheta0123, on 10 September 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

But yeah, Assholes are everywhere commanding forces...Patton was one of them

Please, don't drag Patton into this. He was a soldier and what you're quoting is a metaphore he used in one of his speeches, he never commited any war crimes (I assume you ment part of this sentence of his: "From time to time there will be some complaints that we are pushing our people too hard. I don't give a good Goddamn about such complaints. I believe in the old and sound rule that an ounce of sweat will save a gallon of blood. The harder we push, the more Germans we will kill. The more Germans we kill, the fewer of our men will be killed. Pushing means fewer casualties. I want you all to remember that."). If you want a real psycho, go for Ernest Hemmingway- he braged about how he shot a fleeing German soldier in the back, and he was known to take pleasure in brutal interrogations of POWs.

As for the movie and the fact that US troops kept firing fleeing Panther crew... First of all, I agree that war is hell and I really feel sorry for those poor sobs, but I also think that if you weren't there then, you can't judge those that shot; only a minute earlier they lost their buddies in that Sherman (no survivors, even tank commander that you can see escaping from the wreck, has bled to death in a shell hole next to his tank), I'm pretty sure they lost more of their friends earlier, so most of them wanted some sort of revenge. Not to mention the fact, that fleeing enemy is not an enemy that surrenders- if you don't capture or kill him, you'll have to fight him again in the future. Tank crews are not like downed pilots, helplessly floating on parachutes (btw, Germans were known to target them since their blitz in Poland)- most of those guys were armed with hand weapons (Lugers, some MP40) and they still posed some threat.

guardianangel #13 Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

Private

• Player
  • 63121 battles
  • [KMPH] KMPH
c est la vie.War is war and game is game.is a bit of disaster we called War.crews tried not.is a reality no game.poor people.

OldIronsides #14 Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4297 battles
Well trained crews are as crucial as a steady support of supply goods or replacement vehicles. In case of late-WW2 Wehrmacht I think the lack of personell was even the bigger problem. From that point of view...

Do not forget that in war noble thoughts usually aren't the driving force...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users