Survival Guide Tier V Lights?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Drunken_Jedi #1 Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5883 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

Hey guys, I bought the Chaffee today since the American light line is pretty damned awesome with both the Chaffee and Bulldog (plus the quirky T49 for derp action). Now I'm no stranger to playing lights especially the French line (Ace Tanker in my ELC, 12t), and while my stats are decidedly average I'm getting absolutely murdered in the Chaffee. I've got an 85%  ish crew with vents, camo net and binoc's but getting let down by teams. I'm putting myself into good spotting positions and keeping stuff lit up (i.e. magic bushes) and surviving for most as long as I can usually one of the last to go down  but the other tanks just go full retard and melt within a few minutes leaving me alone to carry against tier VIII heavies. Currently on something like a 30% WR with 0% survived. 

Any tips for when the MM puts you in nothing but bottom tier (yes, I know... scout MM and all that)? I love this tank, it's view range is godlike and its crazy fast so it's a shame to have team mates who can't hit the side of a barn door. Is it just because it's a bank holiday in the UK the world and his dog are online? Looking forward to suggestions from you guys with 3 MoE etc :)

Edited by Drunken_Jedi, 25 March 2016 - 10:14 PM.

tnk_x5000 #2 Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:10 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 31868 battles

When playing as a pure scout tank, if your team is going down, there is pretty much nothing you can do. However, having 25 battles in a tank is not enough to make conclusions. Give it time, currently the game gives you bad teams and no one to snipe for you, but that should not always be the case.

Lycopersicon #3 Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:04 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 11102 battles
A familiar guy with only one MoE here (but I'm approaching two) ;) Basically, give it some time. Crew matters a lot, your 85%ers are certainly struggling. Without camo skill, passive spotting is particularly tough, so I think your choice of binoculars over optics is slightly suboptimal. I would drop the camo net, too, I don't think this is a thing that belongs to a light tank equipment slot. If you have/can afford, use optics and Vstab; you want to be on the move most of the time. But I guess until you have gained some decent camo skill, most games will inevitably end with a surprise explosion, this just comes with the territory.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 27 March 2016 - 10:05 AM.

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #4 Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:28 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostDrunken_Jedi, on 25 March 2016 - 10:14 PM, said:

Hey guys, I bought the Chaffee today since the American light line is pretty damned awesome with both the Chaffee and Bulldog (plus the quirky T49 for derp action). Now I'm no stranger to playing lights especially the French line (Ace Tanker in my ELC, 12t), and while my stats are decidedly average I'm getting absolutely murdered in the Chaffee. I've got an 85%  ish crew with vents, camo net and binoc's but getting let down by teams. I'm putting myself into good spotting positions and keeping stuff lit up (i.e. magic bushes) and surviving for most as long as I can usually one of the last to go down  but the other tanks just go full retard and melt within a few minutes leaving me alone to carry against tier VIII heavies. Currently on something like a 30% WR with 0% survived. 

Any tips for when the MM puts you in nothing but bottom tier (yes, I know... scout MM and all that)? I love this tank, it's view range is godlike and its crazy fast so it's a shame to have team mates who can't hit the side of a barn door. Is it just because it's a bank holiday in the UK the world and his dog are online? Looking forward to suggestions from you guys with 3 MoE etc :)

If you can afford it, drop/ditch the camo net and binocs. the Chaffee is best when it's mobile. (Go for Vert-Stab. and Coated optics instead (optional choice rammer or Gun Laying Drive)

And keep in mind that a crew which doesn't have their basic qualifications @ 100% make sure your tank doesn't perform as advertised (worse than advertised).

Stick to playing that Chaffee untill you at least have your 1st perk for your crew (6th sense for commander and camo for the rest of the crew).

It's a very nice T5 LT (but so are the other 2...not counting the disguised British Crusader (which is actually a medium)).

Edited by Spek_en_Bonen, 27 March 2016 - 10:29 AM.

21stCenturySchizoidMan #5 Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:48 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 38971 battles
  • [JMC] JMC
Avoid playing too aggressive, don't exchange too many shots with anyone. Your job is being a harasser and a distraction to create opportunities for your team mates.

Terrorbunny #6 Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:59 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21725 battles

Keep the camonet and binocs atm til youre up with skills a bit.

View range is actually on of the best on the chaffee even with a 85% crew and bino's, so abuse that viewrange to the max. Even sitting in the open with a camonet and bino's on a not to high tier game, wil let you spot stuff without being spotted. Good for just closing of a flank or atleast so the team knows if there is a tank trying to flank.

Second way to go, is to harras the living sjit out of tanks, the chaffee is a mobile tank, go do drive by's on those ridge line's and spot the enemy close range, do this when you know there are friendly's behind you that need targets. While doing this think of 2 reasons why you do this, 1 spotting for youre friends, 2 letting the enemy know you are there and make them aim for you.

If done right it lure's the unexperienced enemy's over the ridge line, thinking youre a easykill, suprise you have a friendly IS behind you.

Or if there is only 1 or 2 enemy's with no support, and you have loads of friendly's, press the "need fire" command. And if youre teammates are not to dumb, they rush them.

Remember on the lower tiers, the newer kind of players rather target the low hp scouts, than the obvious treaths, so watch it, but this is also a advanced tactic. And can really help the team finnish the enemy of without the team taking any return fire.

Some tips.

1) When doing driveby's ask youreself this, "do i want to SEE the enemy or do i want to DAMAGE the enemy".

Difference is when you just want to see the enemy you dont have to aim the turret at him so you dont have to move the tank over the ridge line. In 95% of the cases its just SEE.

2) Be the eyes of the team, not the fighter, expect to lose every fight (exceptions low tiers and low health targets) so run away and just move 100 meters to the other ridge line, its ok to be spotted, as long as they know you are there, they be a lot more cautious.

3) 1 more tip if playing pubs, dont expect the team to come and help if in trouble, get in a position that the team can help from the position they are in, and dont be shy asking for fire support within the radial menu.

And for a conclusion get sixsence ASAP 1 of the most important skills for a light tank. (first all camo or something as they work even on 1%) then switch commander when camo is 100% for Sixsence, as sixsence only works at 100%), this wil cost gold, second way if retraining for silver or credits, wait til second skill/perk is 50%, then retrain so the 90% skil reduction for silver trades the "100% camo skill + 50%rep skill, for something like 100% sixsence and a few % of lets say camo.

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #7 Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:19 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostTerrorbunny, on 28 March 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

Keep the camonet and binocs atm til youre up with skills a bit.

View range is actually on of the best on the chaffee even with a 85% crew and bino's, so abuse that viewrange to the max. Even sitting in the open with a camonet and bino's on a not to high tier game, wil let you spot stuff without being spotted. Good for just closing of a flank or atleast so the team knows if there is a tank trying to flank.

Second way to go, is to harras the living sjit out of tanks, the chaffee is a mobile tank, go do drive by's on those ridge line's and spot the enemy close range, do this when you know there are friendly's behind you that need targets. While doing this think of 2 reasons why you do this, 1 spotting for youre friends, 2 letting the enemy know you are there and make them aim for you.

If done right it lure's the unexperienced enemy's over the ridge line, thinking youre a easykill, suprise you have a friendly IS behind you.

Or if there is only 1 or 2 enemy's with no support, and you have loads of friendly's, press the "need fire" command. And if youre teammates are not to dumb, they rush them.

Remember on the lower tiers, the newer kind of players rather target the low hp scouts, than the obvious treaths, so watch it, but this is also a advanced tactic. And can really help the team finnish the enemy of without the team taking any return fire.

Some tips.

1) When doing driveby's ask youreself this, "do i want to SEE the enemy or do i want to DAMAGE the enemy".

Difference is when you just want to see the enemy you dont have to aim the turret at him so you dont have to move the tank over the ridge line. In 95% of the cases its just SEE.

2) Be the eyes of the team, not the fighter, expect to lose every fight (exceptions low tiers and low health targets) so run away and just move 100 meters to the other ridge line, its ok to be spotted, as long as they know you are there, they be a lot more cautious.

3) 1 more tip if playing pubs, dont expect the team to come and help if in trouble, get in a position that the team can help from the position they are in, and dont be shy asking for fire support within the radial menu.

And for a conclusion get sixsence ASAP 1 of the most important skills for a light tank. (first all camo or something as they work even on 1%) then switch commander when camo is 100% for Sixsence, as sixsence only works at 100%), this wil cost gold, second way if retraining for silver or credits, wait til second skill/perk is 50%, then retrain so the 90% skil reduction for silver trades the "100% camo skill + 50%rep skill, for something like 100% sixsence and a few % of lets say camo.

No 6th sense, then having binocs is a bad idea.

Do the math....

If you don't have 6th sense, you need to play as if you are always spotted (always move, never be stationary (unless you know to be safe)).

Edited by Spek_en_Bonen, 29 March 2016 - 08:19 AM.

thestaggy #8 Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:12 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17114 battles

I free XP'd the Stuart, so I started my Chaffee with a 75% crew.

I've just picked up my 2nd MOE on it and primarily thanks to spotting damage as I'm only averaging 418 damage myself. Survival rate is at 31%, win rate is 51% but in my experience there is a little a scout can do to affect win rate if your team is too useless to take advantage of what you are doing. In one battle I spotted NINE tanks for a grand total of 139 assist damage. . .

Back to survival, as this is something I found you can work on as at one point I had a 10% survival rate. Seeing as I started with an awful crew I just assumed that I was always spotted, so I hardly ever stopped moving. This ''behaviour'' persisted as my crew improved. Even on maps where passive scouts thrive like Malinovka and Fiery Salient/Prokh I never sat in a bush, I just moved. The Chaffee is plenty fast, so if you always move and move erratically tanks will struggle to hit you. On opens map I ran zig-zags and circles in various directions across the middle, never reappearing in the same place twice. I abused terrain features such as depressions and ridge lines and I made liberal use of the handbrake feature to make sharp changes in directions. Do. Not. Stop. In a scout there is no such thing as taking that second shot. If you do stop to shoot someone don't be tempted to take a second one. I done that once and an O-I derped me in the face. It is either autoaim and fire on the move or shoot and scoot. Oh, and NEVER rush headfirst at an arty. In fact, don't get close to arty. When approaching arty give it a wide arc as these things are the kings of snapshots and I died far too often to them in the beginning trying to kill them.

If I saw another scout or medium rushing for me I got out of dodge, fast. Don't ever try and fight off another tank. If you get rushed, run. Your ego will live with you running away from a fight.

Barba_Electrica #9 Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:26 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20387 battles

---------------------------------

Edited by Barba_Electrica, 09 March 2018 - 10:43 AM.

azakow #10 Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:21 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84897 battles

Have a look what can be done with M24 Chaffee.

A Recent Ace Badge on M24 Chaffee #25 - Difficulties with Gun Handling

A Recent Ace Badge on M24 Chaffee #26 - Drive Them Crasy

See long term replays here.

It is a great vehicle. Recent chenges in physics are giving me a hard time, ATM.

Here my module and crew setup. (The RO now serves for 5058 matches on this vehile.)

Spoiler

cobalt_killer #11 Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:31 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6015 battles

Sixth sense on commander is a must!

Camo for rest of crew.

Don't bother with binocs and camo net. You want to move! Optics are good along with vstab and vents. Make sure your view range is at least 445m!

A mixture of active and passive scouting works, depends on situations. You can also lure enemies into your friendly tanks if they are dumb enough.

A few shots at range used to be a good way to stop enemy pushes as they couldn't see who was shooting them, unfortunately now they can see who bounced off them :(

I find my biggest rival to be the elc AMX, I kill quite a few by taking advantage of their lack of turret!

My games are either hit or miss. Depends highly on the team, you need to keep with your team spotting for them or covering the TD's rear.

Oh - the chaffee is also very good for mopping up endgame as you are very nippy! :)

kramxel #12 Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8219 battles

As cobalt said, 6th sense is a must for a LT.

Until you have it, you're pretty much toasted and can't passive scout effectively (unless it's that OP bush on malinovka/fiery salient), so your best bet is to run around and hope your team does actually shoot something when you spot them.

American LTs could really use a high tier crew trainer.... but WG decided  to give it to the germans...

73north #13 Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39788 battles

6th sense is essential - can I suggest , if you can afford it , get the Locust as a tier 3 Light Tank Premium crew trainer

its fast , agile ( the turn circle is wide , though ) but its has a really nice gun and can handle itself at Tier 5 - and it prints credits as well

so if you get this tank , 3 of the crew will benefit very quickly , and getting the crew skills to 100% on the entire Chaffee crew is a must have ..........

voodoospirit #14 Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 30257 battles

it s wierd.because the US scouts ( chaffee line ) are the most easy scouts to play.

so if u do well with the ELC..it should be even easier with that US line....

6th sense is optionnal, i played my scouts like 8k games before knowing 6th sense existed.... (old chaffee had a MM+5, ELC +4)

for now, just play it as a fire support tank until u get better view range skills or know the scout technics better ( scout, not lights)

DacucelRau #15 Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 55892 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

1. When you scout even on bottom tier you must try to get them spotted close to the white circle never go way to close stay at distance.

2. Watch out for enemy scouts don`t try to fight them at begging only if you have advantage position or dont get spoted.

3. Keep moving because when you`re at distance is pretty hard to hit you.

4. Also when you do the spot when get close to a hill you don`t have to expose all your tank, you are spotting with cupola so try to stay low.

If you wanna get your 3 Moe you must do lot of spotting dmg and also at late game when tanks are low hp you have to get damage them, that will bring you the 3rd mark.

Have fun

Edited by DacucelRau, 10 February 2017 - 10:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users