Tank Simulator Games

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

XRey360 #1 Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:18 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10194 battles

So, I love wot for being a random arcade battle between tanks that never actually met each other. I enjoy how you can run and shot, circling enemies and all, but sometimes I wish there was a more tactical gameplay to it. Where you as a single tank can make the difference. Where there is no spotting or camo mechanic with invisible tanks, no aiming circle or over-markers hud. Just your gun barrel, optics, and a big map, trying to find out where is the enemy tank and adjusting the gun elevation manually to hit it... You know, the way tank battles were actually x)

Excluding WT because this obviusly isn't the case, I would like to share some of the games I used to play in past, and which I loved for the way tank battles were done.

First of all, I would like to point out the tank battles which were added in the late expansions of Battlefield 3. I know it was still quite arcade (no penetration values or armor angling) but it did have an awesome first person view (why WG won't implement gun barrels and hulls visible in first view :c). Maybe only few tank types, But what I most loved were the actual manual gun elevation (it's so satisfying to be adjusting the gun by yourself to hit exactly where you want :D) and no invisible tanks! If you were hit, you would turn around and find who attacked you! As downside though the engineers rendering a tank immortal could be quite annoying (but you always have C4 for those occasions).

Okay, I know what you are saying, this is far from being the tank simulator I described earlier. Actually, I do know a game which offered a really in-depth feeling of tank battles with crew mates and full realistic gameplay.

If you haven't heard of Red Orchestra 2 before, it's time you check it out. I know it's old, and it's hard, and nowdays I think it is only poorly played. At the times I used to play it it was great. The tank battles felt real. Only two models, the german Panzer III and the russian T-34, but god! You would have a first person view of the inside of the tank. You could open hatches to look outside or use scopes. You could be the commander telling orders to the crew, or have other players actually take each role in the tank. Manually spotting enemies through the viewports, full realistic gun elevation with the ability of adjusting the scopes and grids with the distance. And if a crew member died? You actually switch seats around!

I can't find any better video that shows everything for good, but I hope it gives an idea of how it was playing it.

Do you know any other game worth mentioning? I would like to make a list of those games who had notable tank battles that aren't as known as WoT (I would leave apart Armored Warfare as it offers really nothing different from what we have already). I haven't tried War Thunder as many consider it just worse than WoT, and I admit gajin never seemed a worth company (even more moneygrabbing than wg!) but I heard their battles might be more realistical than wot?

Pvt_Duffer #2 Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:23 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16667 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

here you go...this what you are  looking for.

my.ign.com/atari/battlezone

Edited by Pvt_Duffer, 17 April 2016 - 04:40 PM.

Obsessive_Compulsive #3 Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:25 PM

General

• Player
  • 26657 battles
  • [ADUK] ADUK

ARMA 3.

Steel armour. blaze of war

combat mision battle for normandy

ARMA 3 is amazing!

XRey360 #4 Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:34 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10194 battles

View PostConor_Notorious_McGregor, on 17 April 2016 - 04:25 PM, said:

ARMA 3.

ARMA 3 is amazing!

OOoh, right! I forgot about Arma. I used to play Arma 2 and it was already neat. I never tried Arma 3 simply because my pc would blow up to run it :/ For sure it's the most tactical game I ever seen though!

Obsessive_Compulsive #5 Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:36 PM

General

• Player
  • 26657 battles
  • [ADUK] ADUK

ypr765prco #6 Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42753 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

i have played steel beasts the first version.

You could switch between tankplatoons and armoured infantry platoons, call for arty strike.

the version i played.

here is version 3 pro pe

Edited by ypr765prco, 17 April 2016 - 05:17 PM.

Jigabachi #7 Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostXRey360, on 17 April 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

But what I most loved were the actual manual gun elevation (it's so satisfying to be adjusting the gun by yourself to hit exactly where you want :D) and no invisible tanks!

Yes, those are the things I struggled most with when starting WoT. I just hate every kind of invisibility/spotting system in games (Looking at you, thief/assassin class in every average RPG with crappy UI/controls). That's always a crutch and a huge problem concerning tactical depth and personal skill. Same with automatic gun adjustment and autoaim.

The Spottingsystem is here to stay, but I would LOVE to see the auto adjusting barrel gone. That would also fix some of the major problems with aiming and introduce an element that is entirely skillbased. 

Balc0ra #8 Posted 18 April 2016 - 12:32 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67427 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Nothing beats the good old Novalogic games. Crew voices in that game was the same crew voices I've used in WOT since patch 7.8 until 9.14.

Game might look graphically bad for some of you "kids". But the gameplay is top notch even today as it works fine on Win 10 even.

If not you got Iron Warriors: T - 72 Tank Command on steam for the price of a bag of chips. It's dirt cheap and though to get into as it's a game that really uses the word "sim" hard. But it's really fun when you get into it. In both games you can take a purely command role or do all the work yourself like in WOT.

Spoiler

T-34 vs Tiger is a though game to get a hold of now, but rather fun when you get into it. As this is a Sim heavy game. Bought mine on Amazon.

Spoiler

The Panzer Elite games are not bad if you see them on sale on steam "tho they are cheap even when they are not". More arcade like then sim. But if you want's some goofy fun and large battles. It works. Only issue is that on Win 8 and 10 the game's track animation don't work. Kinda annoying, but it's kinda fun to at times. I bought both on steam for like €2 so not complaining.

Spoiler

Edited by Balc0ra, 18 April 2016 - 12:37 AM.

Enforcer1975 #9 Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:06 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20973 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View PostConor_Notorious_McGregor, on 17 April 2016 - 04:25 PM, said:

ARMA 3.

ARMA 3 is amazing!

ArmA 3 is only amazing if you find a server without the 3rd person crutch that throws off balance. Because only that turns it more or less into a tactical simulator of some sorts because in case of infantry vs tanks you either have no armor but can see and hear quite good ( infantry ) or good armor but bad vision and hearing unless you open your hatch ( tank ).

BigBadVuk #10 Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:38 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 3016 battles

Steel beasts, and SB PRO pe are simulators, and they are developed for armies around world, mostly EU. Hefty price tag is also included :) If you can stretch go get it - with added support for track IR nothing else comes even close to it, and within few months they are preparing release of 4.0

Other things you mentioned are more or less arcade shooters hidden behind tank gameplay with maybe exception of SA: BOW, but that game has some serious issues ( AI of crew is... gah :| ).

However, it is interesting that nobody mentioned Psychnosis`s Panzer Elite from 1999. IT was one of best WW2 tank sims around. Dont confuse it with later game also called same but it was pure shooter.

Moved to Off topic

cellaman7 #11 Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:51 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34296 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

To Me WOT is perfectly fine. I don't care about arty, or Invisible TD's, MM or gold ammo. Every class is a challenge but fighting with it or against it keeps the grey matter ticking over. Isn't that what a game is supposed to do or do you just want to win every one 15-0?

What challenge would that be. You may as well go play Candy Crush Saga If you want an easy game??

Edited by cellaman7, 18 April 2016 - 06:56 AM.

ypr765prco #12 Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42753 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBigBadVuk, on 18 April 2016 - 06:38 AM, said:

Steel beasts, and SB PRO pe are simulators, and they are developed for armies around world, mostly EU. Hefty price tag is also included :) If you can stretch go get it - with added support for track IR nothing else comes even close to it, and within few months they are preparing release of 4.0

Other things you mentioned are more or less arcade shooters hidden behind tank gameplay with maybe exception of SA: BOW, but that game has some serious issues ( AI of crew is... gah :| ).

However, it is interesting that nobody mentioned Psychnosis`s Panzer Elite from 1999. IT was one of best WW2 tank sims around. Dont confuse it with later game also called same but it was pure shooter.

Moved to Off topic

Yeah sb pro pe cost around 120 dollar.

I played only sb v1 and a battle could be more then a hour, it's depents how good you was in tactics.

My longest battle was over 2 hours, because when you called on multiple arty strikes it could be that you last arty strike be a hour away.

But i liked this game, because i could use my army experience in this game.

Enforcer1975 #13 Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:26 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20973 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

120 USD is still a bargain compared to what i read what Bohemia's VBS costs...the module prices are just...  :ohmy:

Then again it's not supposed to be a game. The game however is really dumbed down a lot compared to that.

Panocek #14 Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:32 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29055 battles

You've mentioned Red Orchestra 2. But how you dare not mentioning first RO? While older brother lacks fancy crew animations, it has so many more tanks to toy with.

With mods adding ISU, King/Jadtiger and such.

Slyspy #15 Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:15 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14205 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostJigabachi, on 17 April 2016 - 09:34 PM, said:

Yes, those are the things I struggled most with when starting WoT. I just hate every kind of invisibility/spotting system in games (Looking at you, thief/assassin class in every average RPG with crappy UI/controls). That's always a crutch and a huge problem concerning tactical depth and personal skill. Same with automatic gun adjustment and autoaim.

The Spottingsystem is here to stay, but I would LOVE to see the auto adjusting barrel gone. That would also fix some of the major problems with aiming and introduce an element that is entirely skillbased. 

In WoT make sure you are always shooting at moving targets, then you have to adjust the aim yourself!

Edit:

I always enjoyed Forgotten Hope more than RO. Not for the tanks so much but for the overall playability of the mod.

Edited by Slyspy, 18 April 2016 - 11:16 AM.

XRey360 #16 Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10194 battles

Wow, so many games I haven't heard about before! They seem quite valuable options worth to try out..!

I'm curious if there is a cracked sb pro pe just to try it out offline without having to spend a large wagon of money :trollface:

View Postcellaman7, on 18 April 2016 - 06:51 AM, said:

What challenge would that be. You may as well go play Candy Crush Saga If you want an easy game??

Sorry but how could a less arcade game and more realistic gameplay be easier than wot? Most people probably don't even know how gun elevation works to hit targets at distance, and wot does that automatically..!

BigBadVuk #17 Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:53 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 3016 battles

Kahem,kahm.. It is not 120$ , SB pro pe is now on discount, so it is, i think around 80$.. In preparation for new release ( 4.0 ) which will hit us in a 2 months or so, if nothing goes south and beta tests return reasonable amount of bugs which can be handled...

As for long battles, well - you have span from 10-15 mins actions to 3+ hrs in MP with multiple companies, scout platoons, arty support etc..  

IT can be insanely immersive sometimes, especially in cases where your tank is crewed with other humans, acting as driver, gunner, tc, etc. where practically 3 of you are in 1 vehicle acting as crew :B.

That is why i said that that one is so above others. I dont know can you do the same thing  in Steel Armor series. Never tired MP :(

Moomiss #18 Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:59 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6516 battles
  • [BOF] BOF

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users