Jump to content


Aiming at weakspots


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
163 replies to this topic

Baine #101 Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:50 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 10423 battles
  • 2,590
  • [PTS] PTS
  • Member since:
    07-04-2010

View PostAmmerigo, on 13 April 2011 - 11:02 PM, said:

I had green reticle and shot my friend 10 times with my "awesome" pz III ausf A.Guess what! 0 damage every hit.And i mean 10 hits not 2-3 i even shot more i bet...


As I said, it doesn't guarantee a hit, as it doesn't fully include the sloped armour. Depending on the slope or on which angle you hit your friend is also important.

YardenM #102 Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:42 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 862 battles
  • 71
  • Member since:
    07-18-2010
on my game the crosshair doesnt change color(it stays on the basic red color.). do you need to turn it on in options or something?

russnic125 #103 Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:12 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 10031 battles
  • 54
  • Member since:
    09-15-2010

View PostBaine, on 15 August 2010 - 04:06 PM, said:

Hi,

I figured i wanted to say something about aiming and your crosshair.

Some people may have already noticed that there are 3 different crosshair colours, indicating different penetration values.

Green:
Green shows that the shot you are about to make has a very good chance at penetrating the spot you are aiming at. Always be sure to look for spots like that, especially when you are up frontally. Tankdestroyers are hard to penetrate from the front, even for higher tier tanks, thanks to their sloped armour. There are still some spots that will show green, that is in most cases the area around the barrel. Shots aimed there will likely go through and score a good hit.

Yellow:
Yellow shows that the shot you are about to make has a decent chance at penetrating the target and doing damage. There is also a high chance to bounce the target. Spots like this are well armoured but still leave a chance to penetrate. Those spots are most of the time located around the area immediately above the treads and around all kinds of edges on the tank. If you can't find a green spot, go for the yellow spots.
The gun barrel and range finder on most tanks will show as yellow, a hit here will likely guarantee a destroyed module. Who doesn't like a big tank with a destroyed gun ;)

Red:
Red indicates an almost guaranteed "Ding". These spots are heavily armoured and/or won't do alot of damage if you manage to penetrate them. This is the front for most tanks, but super heavy tanks are likely to have similar heavy sides and rears. Only HE will do reliable damage here.

Keep in mind, that the colour of the reticle also depends on the ammo that you have loaded, your gun and the enemies armour rating.

Picture to showcase:
AttachmentWeakspots.JPG


Disclaimer: These are just things I figured myself, nothing officially. It's things most players may already have noticed and new players can read up on it now.

See you on the battlefield  :Smile_honoring:


PS: Don't use this tactic against me please  :Smile-hiding:


russnic125 #104 Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:17 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 10031 battles
  • 54
  • Member since:
    09-15-2010
nice post baine but i just have to say that it depends on which crosshair you use really, if ppl use the red crosshair then it stays red whereever you are pointing/aiming  at, i personally use black crosshair with armour penetration indicator so all you ppl who havent noticed it goto your settings and scroll thru your recticle choices and hey presto, hope u dont mind me jacking your post m8.

YardenM #105 Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:48 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 862 battles
  • 71
  • Member since:
    07-18-2010

View Postrussnic125, on 15 April 2011 - 06:17 AM, said:

nice post baine but i just have to say that it depends on which crosshair you use really, if ppl use the red crosshair then it stays red whereever you are pointing/aiming  at, i personally use black crosshair with armour penetration indicator so all you ppl who havent noticed it goto your settings and scroll thru your recticle choices and hey presto, hope u dont mind me jacking your post m8.

i just noticed that you can see it even when using the red crosshair.. it's just kinda confussing cause when you aim at a tank your crossair is "doubled", and you actually see it twice(one stays red and the other one changes color).

Baine #106 Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 10423 battles
  • 2,590
  • [PTS] PTS
  • Member since:
    07-04-2010
They added the option to turn this off and on, so that might be true. I think if your turn it on, it doesn't matter what crosshair colour you have by default.

warmachine79 #107 Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:29 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 2578 battles
  • 13
  • [3DC] 3DC
  • Member since:
    07-24-2010
Is there a table or painting that shows the INDIVIDUAL weakspots of each tank? For example where the ammo rack of the KT is and where the ammo rack if the IS-3 is.

HighFlyer15 #108 Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:38 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Community Contributor
  • 18641 battles
  • 1,498
  • Member since:
    09-09-2010

View PostYardenM, on 15 April 2011 - 12:42 AM, said:

on my game the crosshair doesnt change color(it stays on the basic red color.). do you need to turn it on in options or something?
what tanks are you aiming at..? And what tank are you in..?

Skaven13 #109 Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 4238 battles
  • 39
  • [FOWDE] FOWDE
  • Member since:
    03-03-2011
The Crosshair, that changes the colour is under the Crosshair from my HUD... bad to find, if u have choose a Big Cross for targeting. But if u sit in Snipermode, i saw it under my Crosshair.
Next Time i make my Crosshair invisble, only playing with the Crosshair from the Tank, that switches Colours.

Raptorman #110 Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:29 PM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 3896 battles
  • 158
  • Member since:
    03-29-2011
There is an in-game option to adjust your crosshair. Some crosshairs will change colour according to the penetration chances as described already. I cannot remember specifically where you need to go to change the crosshair and I am not currently in-game so cannot check but if you find it you will see a helpful description of each type of crosshair.

Also there seems to be some confusion over HE rounds damaging tanks whilst under a red crosshair. This is because HE rounds do not rely on penetration to cause damage, rather the damage caused is by shockwave. This shockwave damage also explains how internal modules or crew can be damaged by a critical hit without actually causing any damage to the armour. Also, a successful HE shot can damage more than one target if they are in close proximity, particularly handy for SPGs targetting a close group of enemy tanks.

Metalocalypse #111 Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:37 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 300 battles
  • 18
  • Member since:
    04-15-2011
I agree about the polishing part

Brazilski #112 Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:38 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Player
  • 5311 battles
  • 1,164
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011

View PostBaine, on 15 August 2010 - 04:06 PM, said:

Hi,

I figured i wanted to say something about aiming and your crosshair.

Some people may have already noticed that there are 3 different crosshair colours, indicating different penetration values.

(...)

Disclaimer: These are just things I figured myself, nothing officially. It's things most players may already have noticed and new players can read up on it now.

See you on the battlefield  :Smile_honoring:


PS: Don't use this tactic against me please  :Smile-hiding:

All very well, but I find that the only time the game actually registers my aim on the enemy tank that precisely is on short-medium range, at which point the importance and efficiency of getting the hit as fast as possible and on target seems to outweigh that of where you get it on target by far.

Baine #113 Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 10423 battles
  • 2,590
  • [PTS] PTS
  • Member since:
    07-04-2010

View PostBrazilski, on 20 April 2011 - 07:38 AM, said:

All very well, but I find that the only time the game actually registers my aim on the enemy tank that precisely is on short-medium range, at which point the importance and efficiency of getting the hit as fast as possible and on target seems to outweigh that of where you get it on target by far.


Well, there are always different situations and if you end up in a close combat fight, head to head, it might be an advantage to actually take the small time to check his frontal armour for green weakspots instead of just shooting away at him in panic.

Arkhell #114 Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 10541 battles
  • 9,058
  • Member since:
    09-20-2010

View PostBaine, on 20 April 2011 - 06:42 PM, said:

Well, there are always different situations and if you end up in a close combat fight, head to head, it might be an advantage to actually take the small time to check his frontal armour for green weakspots instead of just shooting away at him in panic.


or even quicker, look if theres a gunenr port or view slit thats mostly a gaurenteed penetrating shot

MerlinBurns #115 Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 11326 battles
  • 47
  • Member since:
    12-16-2010
Great tip, I personally have'nt noticed the changes either.In the heat of battle I look for a weak spot, fire and manouvre.I will take time to look for this next time i'm sniping or have time to ping an enemy Tank.Thanks Baine  :Smile_honoring:

TRblitz #116 Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:27 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 1015 battles
  • 28
  • Member since:
    03-25-2011
The color reticle may not be working as intended for all targets. On my VK 3601(H) I bounced about 5 AP shots on a tank that was totally green everywhere. I dont remember what tank the target was and I dont have screenshots for it, but I will try to get some evidence next time. Just so you know, it may not work as intended on some tanks.

Baine #117 Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 10423 battles
  • 2,590
  • [PTS] PTS
  • Member since:
    07-04-2010

View PostTRblitz, on 22 April 2011 - 09:27 AM, said:

The color reticle may not be working as intended for all targets. On my VK 3601(H) I bounced about 5 AP shots on a tank that was totally green everywhere. I dont remember what tank the target was and I dont have screenshots for it, but I will try to get some evidence next time. Just so you know, it may not work as intended on some tanks.


I think i already mentioned that somewhere in this thread. Somehow it doesn't really show the real armour value of sloped armour. For instance, a T54 might show green frontally, but due to the slopes it effectively becomes much more. Same goes for angles beyond 80°.

TRblitz #118 Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:45 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 1015 battles
  • 28
  • Member since:
    03-25-2011

View PostBaine, on 22 April 2011 - 09:49 AM, said:

I think i already mentioned that somewhere in this thread. Somehow it doesn't really show the real armour value of sloped armour. For instance, a T54 might show green frontally, but due to the slopes it effectively becomes much more. Same goes for angles beyond 80°.
Ah yes also remember bouncing a few green shots on Jagdpanzer IV and Soviet SU series. Perhaps the indicator only measures the thickness of the armor relative to your gun, but it makes no calculations to % chance of a bounce due to sloped armor?

stone_horse #119 Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:29 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 5470 battles
  • 266
  • Member since:
    04-06-2011
Isn't this:

Red - No penetration
Orange - Low penetration
Green - Good penetration
Grey - Out of range (or even worse than red)

Also isn't it only for manual aim? Auto aim seems much more likely to show green.

I agree the colors should be changeable.

Panzermoth #120 Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:03 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 4810 battles
  • 5
  • [BSB] BSB
  • Member since:
    04-22-2011
Sounds very handy for a bush lurking TD like the one's I prefer. Thank you for the post, I'll pay attention next time I play.