Where does your IGN come from?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

cobalt_killer #1 Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:36 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5856 battles

Good morning all.

After being asked by a few friends the other day, I thought it would provoke some interesting responses.

Mine (originally C0ba1t_K1ller) from playing Unreal Tournament 2004. I didn't really have a set IGN and was floating ideas but none seemed to stick.

Anyway, I came across the 'Blood Fist' Team in UT2004 several times and what always stood out for me is managing to always kill 'Cobalt' first...

So that's where it comes from, I've used the name ever since in various guises in FPS and others.

Oh and for those keen eyed people, yes there is technically a typo in my name as I used a '1' for an 'L' in Cobalt and a '1' for an 'i' in Killer ;)

Oh, and I like the name so much I have a border collie blue merle tri with lovely blue eyes called Cobalt... :)

K_A #2 Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:55 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13641 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I got my first online game in 2005, Age of Empires 3, and chose the name Kuningas_Arthur (King Arthur in Finnish) because that's where I got one of my real names.

Then I started being active in the AoE forums and back then there were no set forum signatures you could have and avatars could also be selected only from a handful of pre-uploaded pics so we'd often sign our own posts ourselves for easier recognition, and my name was too long to write after each and every post (I posted A LOT, like thousands a lot) so I shortened it to just the initials K_A in the forums.

Then the most active posters in the AoE off-topic section spread out to different games where I obviously used the same name as in the forums, and from there it kinda just grew onto me and now I use it everywhere.. :rolleyes:

Edited by K_A, 04 May 2016 - 10:58 AM.

Laatikkomafia #3 Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:06 AM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 21315 battles
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P
Laatikkomafia comes from a Finnish gladiator management game called Areena 5, back in the early 2000's. In the game, one had to choose a name for their gladiator company.

One day, I wrote something random, and began using Laatikkomafia since.

Laatikkomafia means "Box mafia", or as I meant it to be "Cardboard box mafia".

Edited by Laatikkomafia, 04 May 2016 - 11:08 AM.

Velvet_Underground #4 Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 22243 battles

Usually I chose my username based on music/bands I like. While creating my account the best thing I could come up with was something referring to the velvet underground, so there's that.

Celandri #5 Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19696 battles
mine came from the Amiga Scene where my group leader wrote my nic wrong. from Celandro to Celandri and well all the demoes showed my name as Celandri..

BattleMetalChris #6 Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:14 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9224 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

My name is Chris, and I like Battle Metal.

PoIestar #7 Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 31707 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

When I was 14 (last year, but "when I was" sounds better | btw, I'm turning 16 tomorrow :) ) I need to do a small internship at a company I am interested in working. I am a big car fan, so I wanted to be somewhere with cars.

A Volvo dealer in my town was kind enough to receive me. 

And they had, in their dealer, as showcar, a Volvo V60 Polestar. I fell in love with that thing. Between all the black and grey Volvo's in the showroom there was this prominent light blue estate car with huge rims and lowered bumpers (my avatar is a V60 Polestar).

We took it for a spin, and my love is confirmed. It's my dream car.

We looked at the spec (it costs around € 85.000) and I asked my "trainer" what the color was. "Rebel Blue", he replied. "But they call it Polestar Blue".

That to remind myself everytime I play games how I love that car. And I really do.

Homer_J #8 Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28692 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I've used this nick since the days of Quake II (so some time in 1998 I guess), back then The Simpsons was all about Bart and Homer was just a bit part bumbling along being useless, which perfectly suited my ability to play.

TsundereWaffle #9 Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27152 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

My username used to be P0RT3R, (Porter is my surname in English) and I pretty much used Porter for online gaming, multiple fora and roleplaying etc. When I play RPG's I still use Porter for my male characters, and online as well if the name is still available, and luckily it sometimes is. 

But some time ago I decided to go with something else that does not require names for a certain character, but just an overall name like in world if tanks. 

Well then, what could my name be? Maybe something I love? Hm, if there's one thing I adore it is homemade waffles, they are delicious, like, heavenly. Guess it will be Waffle then, but of course Waffle is already taken. So after some thinking, I came up with WafflePanzer, because Panzers are sexy. Besides using Waffle, or usernames which contain Waffle, like Waffelu, The Grand Waffle, Waffle, WafflePanzer, LewdWaffle etc. I also use Miyazono (see profile pic) or some lewd sexual things because reasons :3

But yeah, I <3 Waffles

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users