T80 tank - how to play?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Dru_UK #1 Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:42 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6562 battles

Hi there,

I have just started with T80 Russian light tank.

I am now against high tier teams (many times enemy tanks are T6)

I have all modules on tank (top engine and tracks)

I have fans and 100% crew.

This thing is very slow and has short view, how to play it at its best please?

D3rpFox #2 Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:46 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16351 battles

I just wrote a complete guide on the T-80 and I've got no idea what happened to it when I posted it... I'll just try to rewrite it.I feel like I have a pretty good idea on how to play this tank with a mere 10 games in it so here we go.

First of all, if you've got credits to spare mount Binos or Optics. Personally I run with Binos, Optics and Vents. To address what you want to do with the crew skills, train camo. Make the most of the great base camo rating of the T-80.

With the flat out bad 45 km/h speed limit and a mediocre acceleration makes the T-80 feel slow. But that's only compared to other light tanks. The tank still has an excellent traverse speed and terrain passability. And you'll keep up with most other tanks just fine. 

To address the gun, the 45 mm VT-43 has a good penetration of 75 millimetres with standard ap and 110 millimetres with APCR. And the accuracy is very good for the tier with a dispersion of 0.34 and a 28.57 rate of fire. This allows the T-80 to put out rapid and accurate fire from a range. If someone decides to ignore you they will quickly regret doing so when you punish them every 2 seconds for around 55 damage. 

The T-80 is best played as a sniper or in a supporting role. Because the T-80 is a light tank it fully retains it's camo rating while moving. This allows for some sneaky plays to be made during the midgame to late game. Just stay alive, don't be afraid of repositioning when the time calls for it. The T-80 is by no means a slow tank as I mentioned before, it's just not a racecar. 

I hope this helps, I'm pretty new to writing tank guides.

Kind regards, GlacierWolf.

Edited by GlacierWolf, 12 May 2016 - 02:10 PM.

Sessine #3 Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27620 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Add bino's if you don't have them.

Train camo on the crew (and possibly camo for credits).

On maps where there are no good early spots you can get to you sit back a bit and wait which part of the map opens up and then exploit that. 

Another thing you can do: go to wotreplays and select T80 replays. Most ace replays are in tier 4 battles so you will have to check which are vs higher tiers also check out replays with high assisted damage to see if they provide useful spots for scouting (but keep in mind that what works in tier 4 might not work in tier 6 and you can get countered by cromwells, t67s etc).

Other then that you will have to learn the maps with trial and error. Good luck!

Dru_UK #4 Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:18 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6562 battles

well, its a bit embarassing but I got an ace and a Kobolanovs medal in it already! altohu this was by accident.

It was windstorm map and T5 game I managed to get into cap zone and win by that method.

Dru_UK #5 Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:19 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6562 battles

View PostGlacierWolf, on 12 May 2016 - 01:46 PM, said:

I just wrote a complete guide on the T-80 and I've got no idea what happened to it when I posted it... I'll just try to rewrite it.I feel like I have a pretty good idea on how to play this tank with a mere 10 games in it so here we go.

First of all, if you've got credits to spare mount Binos or Optics. Personally I run with Binos, Optics and Vents. To address what you want to do with the crew skills, train camo. Make the most of the great base camo rating of the T-80.

With the flat out bad 45 km/h speed limit and a mediocre acceleration makes the T-80 feel slow. But that's only compared to other light tanks. The tank still has an excellent traverse speed and terrain passability. And you'll keep up with most other tanks just fine.

To address the gun, the 45 mm VT-43 has a good penetration of 75 millimetres with standard ap and 110 millimetres with APCR. And the accuracy is very good for the tier with a dispersion of 0.34 and a 28.57 rate of fire. This allows the T-80 to put out rapid and accurate fire from a range. If someone decides to ignore you they will quickly regret doing so when you punish them every 2 seconds for around 55 damage.

The T-80 is best played as a sniper or in a supporting role. Because the T-80 is a light tank it fully retains it's camo rating while moving. This allows for some sneaky plays to be made during the midgame to late game. Just stay alive, don't be afraid of repositioning when the time calls for it. The T-80 is by no means a slow tank as I mentioned before, it's just not a racecar.

I hope this helps, I'm pretty new to writing tank guides.

Kind regards, GlacierWolf.

thank you, nice read. Yes, I think you said it there, I am only slow compared to the other low tier light tanks from other games. I need to get my head around that.

D3rpFox #6 Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:22 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16351 battles

View PostDru_UK, on 12 May 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

thank you, nice read. Yes, I think you said it there, I am only slow compared to the other low tier light tanks from other games. I need to get my head around that.

Happy that I could help. I wish you the best of luck in the grind. :P

Akathis #7 Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 84945 battles

t-80 was a monster, back in the days when low caliber apcr didnt lose a looooot of pen over distance, back in the pre 8.6 acc patch, when not every tank was able to snapshot a small bugger on the move. Then came corridor maps, japanese heavies... now it is impossible to play in tier 5 and 6.

Nowadays is just a frustrating tank. Dont play it.

Nuppiz #8 Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:55 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30597 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

I played the T-80 recently enough to remember how I liked it. Unlike most players, I prefer to experience as many tanks as possible so I've decided to do all of the three LT lines leading up to the T-34 (despite already researching it from the T-50).

Coming off the T-70, the same strategies that worked with that apply on the T-80 as well. Don't bother with the other guns, the VT-43 is a very accurate and fast-firing gun that punches through most of the same-tier foes with ease, and even on higher tiers it can annoy anyone except most of the heavies (unless you fire prem, which I didn't do). The turret is mounted off-centre so you have to reveal less of the tank's profile in some corners to have a good firing position, but of course this means other corners are more difficult to manage. The front armor is enough to protect you from off-angle small-caliber fire and is practically immune to the pesky Pz I C machinegun, but otherwise you can't rely on it much.

If I was top tier, I generally played this tank as a sort of light-medium hybrid. I tried to get pretty close to the action and peek around right-hand corners to use the off-centre turret mounting to its full effect, nibbing away the enemies' health with the rapid-firing gun (thanks to the good penetration you can actually use auto-aim quite often) while using the semi-decent mobility and small profile to avoid getting hit back as much as possible. In higher tier games I used it as a mobile sniper, moving between different locations to shoot unsuspecting mediums and TDs into their sides. Because the tank has less than stellar mobility for an LT you either have to rely on your team mates to spot for you or mount equipment that enhances your viewrange.

The very first game I played with this was immediatedly an Ace Tanker, but unfortunately I had one of those teams so it ended in a defeat: http://wotreplays.co...e/2619971#teams

So I played another one immediatedly afterwards to get the first victory bonus, and got another ace while this time being on the "correct" team as well: http://wotreplays.co...e/2619976#teams .

Of course no tank can be aced ad infinitum, but I got a couple of more before I sold the tank:

http://wotreplays.co...e/2629989#teams (Tier V game, notice I did almost the same amount of damage as our both KVs)

http://wotreplays.co...e/2652420#teams (High Caliber in Tier IV)

Unfortunately both this and the T-70 seem to be cursed with really poor teams, at least whenever I played them. On the T-70 I had 1.38 both DR and KR but only 38% WR, while on the T-80 I had 1.18 KR, 1.04 DR and 45% WR. Because of this I eventually sold the T-80 despite liking it quite a bit.

One last thing of note: I noticed this tank gets its engine damaged fairly often, so it's worthwile to bring a repair kit on the battlefield so you can stay mobile.

Edited by Nuppiz, 13 May 2016 - 01:58 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users