Jump to content


Airfix Model Weathering

Airfix Modelling

  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

The_Foolio #1 Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:31 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 33606 battles
  • 1,642
  • Member since:
    11-20-2012

After 25 years of not touching an Airfix model, I decided to give it a try in a sort of mindfulness, taking my mind off real life sort of way. I hoped that the years that had passed would have made me patient enough to not want to try and finish the model in 1 day and actually do it properly.:harp:

 

So I've finished my first attempt, a 1:76 Matilda II and painted it in the Caunter (I think?) desert camo and it wasn't terrible for a first attempt. So thought I'd go for a plain green Normandy-type camo for my second attempt and try a tiny bit of weathering. I've looked at some videos online and they have suggested using: matt green enamel -> clear varnish -> green wash

 

I was wondering if this is correct, if anyone had any tips, things to avoid etc.

 

 

 



Ice_Fox #2 Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:47 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 1961 battles
  • 16
  • Member since:
    12-19-2012

I've also recently returned to making model tanks and tend to use acrylic paints because it's easier to clean the brushes. For weathering I've tried mixing a drop of rust or brown with water and then given the tank a liberal brush over with the mix. It seems to work ok for me and makes the existing paintwork look a lot duller and (hopefully) more realistic.

 

 

 



mynameispuffs #3 Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 24294 battles
  • 5,581
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    02-29-2012

View PostIce_Fox, on 13 May 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

I've also recently returned to making model tanks and tend to use acrylic paints because it's easier to clean the brushes. For weathering I've tried mixing a drop of rust or brown with water and then given the tank a liberal brush over with the mix. It seems to work ok for me and makes the existing paintwork look a lot duller and (hopefully) more realistic.

 

 

 

 

Enamel paints will give you a better finish by FAR :)

Whilst I make models a lot i very rarely bother weathering them, so i'll be popping back here to see what everyone else says ^^



The_Foolio #4 Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:28 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 33606 battles
  • 1,642
  • Member since:
    11-20-2012

View Postmynameispuffs, on 13 May 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

 

Enamel paints will give you a better finish by FAR :)

Whilst I make models a lot i very rarely bother weathering them, so i'll be popping back here to see what everyone else says ^^

 

Little pots of enamel remind me of my childhood, so I'll stick with them :)

 

Because I'm trying to do this to take my mind of life, I'd each to take me longer than it takes to glue it together and paint, so I thought that weathering would add to it a little as a hobby. No idea what I'm doing though :ohmy:

 

I've looked on forums and seen people making camo nets and other paraphernalia. It's quite amazing the lengths some people go to. They look amazing.

 

I'll post some pics after I've done it. Assuming it doesn't turn out a right dog's dinner.



Cobra6 #5 Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:42 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • 15,686
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    09-17-2010

I tend to use enamels for the colours and then acrylics for any weathering.

 

The nice thing about acrylics is that they don't destroy your basecoat (enamels and thinner do) and they are water soluble.

 

Cotton buds are you biggest friend, have a box of 200 within reach (seriously you burn through them fast) and also some paper tissues to get rid of unwanted paint.

 

Currently building a Type IX 1/72 German Submarine, 1 meter long beast :D

 

Cobra 6


Edited by Cobra6, 13 May 2016 - 05:43 PM.


Ice_Fox #6 Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 1961 battles
  • 16
  • Member since:
    12-19-2012

As a further aside although I made Airfix models in my youth (40 years ago! ) and have done a few since most of my recent models are Revell as I find them to be a bit more detailed.

I've also made a few by Trumpeter. Attached is a picture of my Trumpeter version of Tiger 131- painted with acrylic and weathered per my earlier post.

:)

Attached Files

  • Attached File   Tiger 131(1) edit.jpg   244.16K


The_Foolio #7 Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:32 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 33606 battles
  • 1,642
  • Member since:
    11-20-2012

View PostIce_Fox, on 13 May 2016 - 07:59 PM, said:

As a further aside although I made Airfix models in my youth (40 years ago! ) and have done a few since most of my recent models are Revell as I find them to be a bit more detailed.

I've also made a few by Trumpeter. Attached is a picture of my Trumpeter version of Tiger 131- painted with acrylic and weathered per my earlier post.

:)

 

That's really nice. Way better than the effect I'm expecting to get at my first attempt.

 

The Airfix model I have of the 1:72 Cromwell IV is more detailed than I remember them being from my childhood. I quite impressed.

 

It's progressing slowly at the moment as I don't have much free time. I've made a note to buy some undercoat for my next attempt as the enamel has taken a few coats and the brushstrokes are a little annoying. I hear that undercoat may help with this.



mynameispuffs #8 Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:31 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 24294 battles
  • 5,581
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    02-29-2012

View PostThe_Foolio, on 23 May 2016 - 09:32 AM, said:

 

That's really nice. Way better than the effect I'm expecting to get at my first attempt.

 

The Airfix model I have of the 1:72 Cromwell IV is more detailed than I remember them being from my childhood. I quite impressed.

 

It's progressing slowly at the moment as I don't have much free time. I've made a note to buy some undercoat for my next attempt as the enamel has taken a few coats and the brushstrokes are a little annoying. I hear that undercoat may help with this.

 

Airbrush is love, airbrush is life...

Your paintwork quality will go up MASSIVELY if you get an airbrush, none of those little brush marks. :)



The_Foolio #9 Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:31 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 33606 battles
  • 1,642
  • Member since:
    11-20-2012
I know, but it's way to early to think about airbrushing. Plus I don't have the right space to do it.

mynameispuffs #10 Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:06 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 24294 battles
  • 5,581
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    02-29-2012

View PostThe_Foolio, on 23 May 2016 - 06:31 PM, said:

I know, but it's way to early to think about airbrushing. Plus I don't have the right space to do it.

 

I airbrush in a plastic lunchbox.

Im sure you have space :)



The_Foolio #11 Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:37 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 33606 battles
  • 1,642
  • Member since:
    11-20-2012

View Postmynameispuffs, on 24 May 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

 

I airbrush in a plastic lunchbox.

Im sure you have space :)

 

​I meant workspace with good ventilation etc., but also a wife and kids to pay for and roll their eyes at me.

 

I'm getting there slowly. Maybe once I start the larger scale models.


Edited by The_Foolio, 24 May 2016 - 08:37 AM.


mynameispuffs #12 Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:57 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 24294 battles
  • 5,581
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    02-29-2012

View PostThe_Foolio, on 24 May 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

 

​I meant workspace with good ventilation etc., but also a wife and kids to pay for and roll their eyes at me.

 

I'm getting there slowly. Maybe once I start the larger scale models.

 

Oh hah :). If you have a bit of room in the Garden that usually suffices. And tbh you don't even have to go that up market. Airfix sell their own Airbrushfor £15 and I've got nothing but praise for it after a years use.

 

There a worthwhile investment, but take it at your own pace mate :)



Cassie_b #13 Posted 28 May 2016 - 02:35 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 3402 battles
  • 282
  • Member since:
    05-20-2016

I'm not really much of an armour modeller - mostly build aircraft - but I suppose weathering will be a similar process:

Flory Models washes are excellent - they're water-based, using a very fine clay, and are fantastic for pin-washes.

Personally I use the 'dark-dirt' as my goto wash for panel lines and accentuating detail in bomb and wheel bays - 'Rust', obviously for rusty patches around wheels/exhausts etc - And a light grey for dust in cockpits etc (also good to mix in and lighten darker washes)

For exhaust stains I use pastel sticks - I bought a good set from an art shop, and keep little 'pots' of the dust - made by rubbing on sandpaper.

Those little sauce containers from McD's are great for storing the pastel dust - I always grab a handful when I'm in there.

 

Thinking about Flory washes for armour.....  they also do colours which would be great for sand or mud around wheels/tracks. and the light gey will also probably be good for masonry dust in shelled-out towns etc.

 

A few weeks ago my dad gave me a 'started' 1/200 model of the Bismarck - One of those partworks magazine things.

He collected all the parts, but has only built the basic structure of the hull - the rest is untouched. A MASSIVE thing, 1.2m long, and about 20cm wide. I plan to start on that later this year sometime, but it looks like a HUGE project, there's alsorts of different parts... laser-cut wood, white-metal gun barrels, resin mouldings, and about 60 or 70 sheets of photo-etch - I'm more used to injection moulded plastic, and maybe a bit of photo-etch here and there


Edited by Cassie_b, 28 May 2016 - 02:37 PM.


The_Foolio #14 Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:39 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 33606 battles
  • 1,642
  • Member since:
    11-20-2012

Thanks for all the replies. I have finished the Cromwell. Olive drab Humbol enamel, coat of varnish and then a bit of dark green wash to try and mess it up a bit and add some shadows. Haven't even thought about trying rust, dust, mud, chipping etc.

 

Other that the fact that a few of the detail pieces went missing :unsure: it looks okay for an amateurish first attempt and I found the whole thing very relaxing, which was the main thing.  1:76 scale is soooo fiddly though. So I might try one more 1:76 before thinking about a 1:32 next time. The Tamiya kits look very impressive.

 

I've also noticed that most YouTubers use brush applied liquid cement (I think) rather than the old school glue. It seems a more tidy and effective. So may try that in the future.



mynameispuffs #15 Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 24294 battles
  • 5,581
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    02-29-2012

View PostThe_Foolio, on 06 June 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

Thanks for all the replies. I have finished the Cromwell. Olive drab Humbol enamel, coat of varnish and then a bit of dark green wash to try and mess it up a bit and add some shadows. Haven't even thought about trying rust, dust, mud, chipping etc.

 

Other that the fact that a few of the detail pieces went missing :unsure: it looks okay for an amateurish first attempt and I found the whole thing very relaxing, which was the main thing.  1:76 scale is soooo fiddly though. So I might try one more 1:76 before thinking about a 1:32 next time. The Tamiya kits look very impressive.

 

I've also noticed that most YouTubers use brush applied liquid cement (I think) rather than the old school glue. It seems a more tidy and effective. So may try that in the future.

 

Pics

Pics

Pics!!



The_Foolio #16 Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:21 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 33606 battles
  • 1,642
  • Member since:
    11-20-2012

View Postmynameispuffs, on 06 June 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

 

Pics

Pics

Pics!!

 

I'll get some later. Don't get your hopes up on it though...:harp:

 

Before...

Spoiler

 

After...

Spoiler

 


Edited by The_Foolio, 06 June 2016 - 08:58 PM.


BattleMetalChris #17 Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:51 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 9222 battles
  • 7,685
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-18-2011
The nice think about modelling tanks (welded ones, at least) is you don't need to worry about filling in and sanding the panel lines and joins :)

Edited by BattleMetalChris, 08 June 2016 - 11:51 PM.


mynameispuffs #18 Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:17 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 24294 battles
  • 5,581
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    02-29-2012

View PostThe_Foolio, on 06 June 2016 - 03:21 PM, said:

 

I'll get some later. Don't get your hopes up on it though...:harp:

 

Before...

Spoiler

 

After...

Spoiler

 

 

Looks pretty good from here!

Cobra6 #19 Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:04 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • 15,686
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    09-17-2010

Looking good!

 

Still need to make it dull though in the end because it's very shiny at the moment.

 

Cobra 6



The_Foolio #20 Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:04 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 33606 battles
  • 1,642
  • Member since:
    11-20-2012

View PostCobra6, on 09 June 2016 - 09:04 AM, said:

Looking good!

 

Still need to make it dull though in the end because it's very shiny at the moment.

 

Cobra 6

 

I did think that, but wasn't sure how to dampen down the shine. I only have enamel paint, varnish and green wash.

 

 

View PostBattleMetalChris, on 08 June 2016 - 11:51 PM, said:

The nice think about modelling tanks (welded ones, at least) is you don't need to worry about filling in and sanding the panel lines and joins :)

 

I haven't even thought about filling yet and I'm using a nail file to sand down the sprues :girl:

 

View Postmynameispuffs, on 09 June 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

 

Looks pretty good from here!

 

Thanks. Little baby steps...







Also tagged with Airfix, Modelling

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users