LTTB Advice?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

SlyMeerkat #1 Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18606 battles
  • [-RLD-] -RLD-

This is the tank i am currently grinding and do like the tank very much and believe i have good stats (maybe could do better in it?) but what i am struggling with is the winning part of the tank, every game i go in, i seem to come in the top 5 for damage but the rest of the team just falls to a point where there is nothing to do other than do as much damage as possible before dying and so is there any advice that you can give that would help me play better and get winning more in this and also, what do you do in situations where its always a lose more than i win?

rolfwar #2 Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20626 battles
  • [FVRIE] FVRIE

Light tanks can very influential on a match´s outcome by doing damage. However, there is good damage and bad damage. The former is achieved through effective sniping, brawling, sniping, and overall reading the map to understand where your team might use one more gun with good DPM.

The latter is achieved by always staying in the back, sniping, not spotting, and not investing your hp (if with a light tank you always finish the game full hp when yo uwin, you are doing it wrong).

Spotting is of course the most important thing that a light tank driver can do to impact the match. It is true that the vision meta is crippled at the moment, and that spotting has limited importance on many maps. But it can still make a difference on many others, such as Lakeville, Redshire, Prokhorovka, and some others.

There would be a lot to talk about, but roughly said there are more or less 4 phases in every match for a LT:

1- Early spot. Possibly the most important phase, you can get lots of assistance damage through early spots on some maps (e.g. Lakeville), while on others it is useful for you and your team to understand how the enemy are spreading on the map (e.g. Redshire). Early spots can be done either by active or by passive spotting, depends on the map.

2- Calm before the storm. After a while, enemy formations make contact and start engaging. This can mean that you may have nothing to do for a while, especially on maps like Lakeville or Artic Region. Still, you should not idle. This is the time when good map reading can turn the tables around; this is when you should start noting where and when gaps in the enemy lines might appear, either to raid the artillery locations or to flank.

3- Engagement. This is the phase where LT are required to actively engage to supplement their teams´ damage output in key locations (e.g. The town in Lakeville). If the game has turned into a campfest, you might be required to do active spotting for your team.

4- Cleanup phase/Last stand. assuming you were a good LT driver and managed not to die in the previous phases, this is where it all ends. Using your speed to steal the last hp before your allies can get there or making a last stand in a bush, hoping that the arty left on your team can help you, before jumping out of it and going on a spree for a few seconds.

This is roughly how you should try to divide your time during a match.

A decent guide for LT can be found at http://tazilon.net/S...ScoutRoles.html , which should definitely help you improve.

Keep in mind that LT are NOT a class for everyone, they are extremely tricky to master, and only a limited number of players can do it (this is why LT are always reserved for the best players in CW/competitive gaming). This is to say that if you were not to achieve satisfactory results, you should not get too upset, because this class is not for everyone.

SlyMeerkat #3 Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:15 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18606 battles
  • [-RLD-] -RLD-

View Postrolfwar, on 24 May 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

Light tanks can very influential on a match´s outcome by doing damage. However, there is good damage and bad damage. The former is achieved through effective sniping, brawling, sniping, and overall reading the map to understand where your team might use one more gun with good DPM.

The latter is achieved by always staying in the back, sniping, not spotting, and not investing your hp (if with a light tank you always finish the game full hp when yo uwin, you are doing it wrong).

Spotting is of course the most important thing that a light tank driver can do to impact the match. It is true that the vision meta is crippled at the moment, and that spotting has limited importance on many maps. But it can still make a difference on many others, such as Lakeville, Redshire, Prokhorovka, and some others.

There would be a lot to talk about, but roughly said there are more or less 4 phases in every match for a LT:

1- Early spot. Possibly the most important phase, you can get lots of assistance damage through early spots on some maps (e.g. Lakeville), while on others it is useful for you and your team to understand how the enemy are spreading on the map (e.g. Redshire). Early spots can be done either by active or by passive spotting, depends on the map.

2- Calm before the storm. After a while, enemy formations make contact and start engaging. This can mean that you may have nothing to do for a while, especially on maps like Lakeville or Artic Region. Still, you should not idle. This is the time when good map reading can turn the tables around; this is when you should start noting where and when gaps in the enemy lines might appear, either to raid the artillery locations or to flank.

3- Engagement. This is the phase where LT are required to actively engage to supplement their teams´ damage output in key locations (e.g. The town in Lakeville). If the game has turned into a campfest, you might be required to do active spotting for your team.

4- Cleanup phase/Last stand. assuming you were a good LT driver and managed not to die in the previous phases, this is where it all ends. Using your speed to steal the last hp before your allies can get there or making a last stand in a bush, hoping that the arty left on your team can help you, before jumping out of it and going on a spree for a few seconds.

This is roughly how you should try to divide your time during a match.

A decent guide for LT can be found at http://tazilon.net/S...ScoutRoles.html , which should definitely help you improve.

Keep in mind that LT are NOT a class for everyone, they are extremely tricky to master, and only a limited number of players can do it (this is why LT are always reserved for the best players in CW/competitive gaming). This is to say that if you were not to achieve satisfactory results, you should not get too upset, because this class is not for everyone.

I rather enjoy light tanks and seem to do well in them but just one i am struggling to win in for some reason, same like the bulldog, i hated that at start but after a while with autoloader know when to move and stuff i enjoyed it a lot more and got better stats with it :)

tnk_x5000 #4 Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30547 battles
Dude, you have not made 50 battles in the tank yet, and you are complaining about bad win rate. Come on now. You will need to make a good 150 - 200 battles before talking about bad win rate, because that is the minimum number of battles you need to have a solid opinion how a tank plays.

Noo_Noo #5 Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:53 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 22560 battles

LTTB is a little unique. Little camo and no gun depression make it awkward at times. 

Personally I struggle during Rolfwar's initial phase of spotting. I'm far too gun-ho, or simply get spotted by another on rushing scout and pay for it. Often spend the rest of the game tippy toeing round trying to play safe which doesn't help me or the team much. 

I do suffer with the lack of gun depression, often having to expose far too much simply to get a clear shot. Not surprising that I therefore also struggle with the French AMX 12t which also has poor gun depression. So spending far too long finding clear shots is a real painful experience at times. 

its also a little annoying how many times I get absolutely mauled by a snap shot from an enemy tank. But again that's me picking my moments poorly.

tnk_x5000 #6 Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:01 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30547 battles

Yeah, you need to be less "gun-ho". In my case I ignore my gun and just go full scout on hills. I may be unable to shoot anything but the sky, but I am still moving with 55-60 km/h spotting enemies. Most lights can't keep such speeds on hills. Just don't worry about not making damage on your own, your teammates will do that for you. Also, if the gun won't let you hit your enemy in a duel against a light, you can always go for ramming. Otherwise, you will have to get on better terrain.

All in all, the gun depression is the only thing keeping the tank from being borderline OP.

Nuggets_No_Glory #7 Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:26 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 29551 battles

View Posttnk_x5000, on 14 September 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

All in all, the gun depression is the only thing keeping the tank from being borderline OP.

I'd argue that it's still borderline OP. It definitely needs that crap gun depression as a balancing factor.

boomer1_1 #8 Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:31 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 29468 battles
  • [R-U] R-U
A goodtank. I play Lt a lot usually badly through over aggression. Did however ace this one with 4.5 k damage on that beach map overlord. Just completely lucked in . now struggling with t54 ltwt and doing   crap in tier x games. Hey ho I just love Lt and don't play other classes, play for win not damage and have terrible stats because of this and solo play. Will I ever learn?

tnk_x5000 #9 Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30547 battles

After a looooooong time... I was there, I know how it goes, and I had it hardcore, because I started playing lights back when tier 4 lights say tier 8. Main reason for my current stats. So many battles ruined.

I think this tank gets a bit too mobile with BiA and Vents. Feels harder to control now, hull traverses too quickly now.

Edited by tnk_x5000, 18 October 2016 - 10:27 AM.

smoothpop1 #10 Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:50 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 25199 battles
  • [KKO] KKO

View PostGenghis_Kal, on 20 September 2016 - 12:26 PM, said:

I'd argue that it's still borderline OP. It definitely needs that crap gun depression as a balancing factor.

the gun depression isnt really a limiter though all it does is make the tank frustrating to play. id gladly take a hit to the ROf if they gave me 5 degrees of depression.

this tank is really strong the things that make it "balanced" are what makes it really unpleasant to drive and that is the bad gun depression and the retarded physics of how it moves and slides everywhere.

Noo_Noo #11 Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:17 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 22560 battles

View Postboomer1_1, on 14 October 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

A goodtank. I play Lt a lot usually badly through over aggression. Did however ace this one with 4.5 k damage on that beach map overlord. Just completely lucked in . now struggling with t54 ltwt and doing   crap in tier x games. Hey ho I just love Lt and don't play other classes, play for win not damage and have terrible stats because of this and solo play. Will I ever learn?

Me too. Similar story here. I don't miss the LTTB but perhaps I should have stayed with it a little longer to help with the crew training. I'm also find the T54 ltwt a tough one to master. (Not that I've mastered any tank in this game to be honest)

XCabs #12 Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:52 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2514 battles

Use the LTB as an always on the move spotter during early stages.  Dont camp with the LTB unless your position allows for it which is rare in due to less than stellar cammo.

The LTB is all about its manoeuvrability imho. As the game progresses you move in to Ninja attack mode. I will go for a ninja kill on anything except most tier 8-10 meds unless

they are a one shot kill.

1. Mobile Spotting

2. Ninja Attack Killer

73north #13 Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39788 battles

I have been grinding towards the T-54 Lightweight , and I have got to say , this experience playing this tank makes the MT-25 look like an gem , compared to

this bad tank , zero gun depression is the real killer , I have given up trying to get shots early in the map , and just go for passive spotting

I also have a full camo-trained crew ( and camo net fitted ) , and I am convinced the MT-25 was more stealthy , not enjoying this tank one little bit

I do well ( or reasonable ) in Light Tanks , but the zero depression is causing depression for me .

XeaKon #14 Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5476 battles
Very good against lights with HE and ramming.

IRSanchez #15 Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:29 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 58595 battles
  • [F4W] F4W

It's a really nice tank, but might require quite some time to get used to.

At first attempt (grinding to 54LT), I had a huge rollercoster of games, as I struggled with the terrible gun depression. Constant problems to utilize the speed and gun combination of the LTTB resulted in many frustrating games and lack of consistency.

I gave it a second chance (decided it will be a nice challenge to get the gun marks), but this time with more experience and better knowledge of the limitations.

Once you pay carefull attention about shooting on the bumps (that you often don't notice on other tanks) and make use of the terrain features to help with trademark gun depression, the tank starts to shine.

So give it some time and don't be afraid to learn a few things by trying. At certain point LTTB stops beeing annoying and just starts working.

Edited by IRSanchez, 23 January 2017 - 08:35 PM.

____prophet____ #16 Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles

Awesome little thing. I play it very agrressively. Speed is the key. 68 km/h is nice but what really makes the LTTB shine is power-to-weight ratio. It has such a powerful engine that climbing hills and slopes slows you down very little. Same goes for making turns and circling the enemy. As I attack distracted enemies at full speed, their allied snipers have a very hard time hitting me so often I get away with a balls out drive-by without any hits taken. One reason is LTTB actually has armor so those snipers tend to spend a while aiming. Meanwhile I juke, duck, circle, shoot and kill.

Use that speed. Keep up the momentum and attack at speed. 

One thing about the gun depression: I usually HATE tanks with bad gun depression. But in reality gun dep is mostly about exposure time. As the LTTB is so fast and climbs so well, your exposure time is actually shorter than with many slower tanks with good gun depression. Yes it can be frustrating that you have to play around the gun depression on hilly maps but that strong engine is your friend in this respect.

Edited by alisuorittaja, 05 February 2017 - 09:42 PM.

____prophet____ #17 Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:51 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles

Here's a couple of replays that could be helpful.

Aggressive support:

http://wotreplays.co...suorittaja-lttb

Aggressive active spotting:

http://wotreplays.co...suorittaja-lttb

People have many opinions on light tanks. In reality they are a very versatile class. If you only do one or two roles in a light tank you are limiting your success. Your ability to read the game shows exceptionally well when playing light tanks. Here's a couple useful things some of which are easily forgotten:

1. Light tanks are fast. If you're not using the speed you are gimping yourself. Passive spotting is a speciality only, not a go-to strategy.

2. When spotting, actual spotting damage is only a small part of the story.

3. Your main job is provide intel to your team - let them know where the enemy are so they can make better decisions. This is especially important in the very early and very late game!

4. You also need to play the enemy's mind! You keep them lit all the time so they are afraid to advance or shoot.

5. You harrass the enemy and provide opportunities for your allies. Frustrate the enemy by poking and/or taking random snap shots when they should be focusing on a more dangerous enemy.

6. You are a killer of slow tanks. More so than arty - slow tanks can be hard to kill for your allies who are forced to face them frontally. You can flank and circle - so do that!

7. You can bait enemies to follow or shoot you when you're on the move - this way they will be reloading when your allies attack them.

The biggest thing I only just learned recently: A light tank can set the pace of a battle (on open maps.) An aggressive spotter who keeps everyone lit and stays alive is VERY annoying to the enemy team. As a light tank driver you can make an entire enemy team stagnate and you can make individual players do stupid things and get themselves killed. Make your prescence known and keep the enemy on its toes - but make sure you have fire support so that any yolo-minded enemies will pay the price!

Edited by alisuorittaja, 06 February 2017 - 03:13 AM.

gunslingerXXX #18 Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 13003 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
Just tested the mt25 and the lttb on the test server, and the driving/turning felt really uncomfortable. Was this because of relatively high ping (30-100) or are they really 'hard to handle'? 

____prophet____ #19 Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 15 February 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

Just tested the mt25 and the lttb on the test server, and the driving/turning felt really uncomfortable. Was this because of relatively high ping (30-100) or are they really 'hard to handle'? 

They can be slidey and somewhat prone to turn on their side if you take a sharp turn on a reverse incline; but it's not something that breaks the tanks, it's just something you need to be aware of.

Edited by alisuorittaja, 16 February 2017 - 11:04 PM.

gunslingerXXX #20 Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:29 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 13003 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

View Postalisuorittaja, on 16 February 2017 - 11:04 PM, said:

They can be slidey and somewhat prone to turn on their side if you take a sharp turn on a reverse incline; but it's not something that breaks the tanks, it's just something you need to be aware of.

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users