Video: How We made the Improved Sounds

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:27 AM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
Recent updates to the game have brought a major overhaul of the sounds. Here's how this was done.

Full news text

TallyHoo #2 Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

Private

• Player
  • 30911 battles
  • [STFU-] STFU-

Good work on the improvement, as a player that has played for over 5 years i can say that those changes the WoT team is doing is really good... I've played this game as i said for 5 years almost everyday, and changes like these makes me want to continue playing this game. New sounds - check, new physics - check, better matchmaking - work on this and people cant complain anymore!

Happy hunting!

Edited by TallyHoo, 27 May 2016 - 11:02 AM.

astrobomb #3 Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:04 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 25169 battles

nice to read some nice feedback and not just whining about corner details

and penny stuff like is the end of the world

when always is the lag and the wg gang and never the player and stuff

SlyMeerkat #4 Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:29 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10926 battles
  • [FILO] FILO
Interesting read

guest273 #5 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33505 battles
  • [LATTD] LATTD

My in-game volume is on 75% and the special effects/tank effects, mostly everything is around 25-40%...

Today and enemy Pz I C managed to penetrate me from the side. Now I need to go and see an ear doctor, because I'm almost deaf. GJ WG, nice sounds, make them even louder...

+ I'm usually the guy to whom friends come and they tell me why is my sound always so low etc. ...

guest273 #6 Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:46 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33505 battles
  • [LATTD] LATTD

3:38 in the video he says: ... and the bird sound, fence destruction bla bla WHICH SIMPLY SHOULDN'T ANNOY THEM (THE PLAYERS) ... How can you disable those random birds? The first time I heard them I almost had a heart attack...

Also the TicTacTicTac at the last minute of the battle is annoying to carry the battle and the loud warning 2min before end should really be a 5min warning because you mostly have noobs in KV-1 who ignore the chat left by that time and they simply can't drive to cap + cap in those 2 minutes. Maybe experienced players shouldn't get those warnings or should be allowed to disable them???

Fortis_Flame #7 Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:11 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 35059 battles

View PostTallyHoo, on 27 May 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

Good work on the improvement, as a player that has played for over 5 years i can say that those changes the WoT team is doing is really good... I've played this game as i said for 5 years almost everyday, and changes like these makes me want to continue playing this game. New sounds - check, new physics - check, better matchmaking - work on this and people cant complain anymore!

Happy hunting!

[edited]

Edited by Neilloss46, 29 May 2016 - 01:53 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. Neilloss46

The_Foolio #8 Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27402 battles

View PostFortis_Flame, on 27 May 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

[edited]

I few positives comments and then normal service is resumed.

LK_4D4 #9 Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:17 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 41426 battles
sounds are good wg, but still you could spare us of that birds sounds

joesleep #10 Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:35 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 52862 battles

How did you REALLY made the improved sound

And this one should to watch until the end

Edited by joesleep, 27 May 2016 - 01:37 PM.

siramra #11 Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24968 battles
  • [DUXTR] DUXTR

Engine sound isn`t important?

Well. Making every US tank sounding like u drive a VW Beetle isn`t good. So...yeah. Engine sounds are important too.

Gremlin182 #12 Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:06 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 36899 battles

Like everything about the new sounds except when in sniper view.

Environmental sounds great

Engine sounds great

External gun sound great

Sniper view open topped vehicle great.

Sniper view standard tank type very poor.

Now I appreciate it might be my speakers or sound card but even so when you fire the gun it should sound like it.

astrobomb #13 Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:36 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 25169 battles

View Postjoesleep, on 27 May 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

How did you REALLY made the improved sound

And this one should to watch until the end

LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

OHHH MEEEEEENNNNN HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

LET ME WIPE MY TEARS FIRST

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HHHHH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

CAPTEIN JOESLEEP

I HAVENT LAUGHT THAT MUCH FOR SOME WEEKS

THANKS MAN

hahahaahahahahahahahaha.........

joesleep #14 Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:14 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 52862 battles

View Postastrobomb, on 27 May 2016 - 04:36 PM, said:

LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

OHHH MEEEEEENNNNN HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

LET ME WIPE MY TEARS FIRST

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HHHHH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

CAPTEIN JOESLEEP

I HAVENT LAUGHT THAT MUCH FOR SOME WEEKS

THANKS MAN

hahahaahahahahahahahaha.........

You welcome bro!

Skullfix #15 Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:26 PM

Private

• Player
  • 39110 battles
  • [FOCA] FOCA

Hello Wargaming, 

I wanted to tell you that some of the negative comments about sounds @ 9.14,

were because some people didn't even know that the sound volumes have reset, and rushed to post on forums.

(and most likely ppl needed to set them back. example: personally i don't use ambiance, engine is set lower than gun sounds... etc)

Maybe u can make future changes and either inform players in launcher news that the

sound volumes have reset in game settings, or do not reset them at all,

maybe it will reduce the amount of negative replys, from ppl that don't even read patch notes.

Other than that, sure there were some sounds that sounded like a pan. but i'm sure u solved that.

Please add a separate volume control for 6th sense sound, and an option to disable it. I think atm it's volume is mixed with other category.

Happy players.

P.S. premium stuff is too expensive.

jagdcommander #16 Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:32 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35552 battles

View PostThe_Foolio, on 27 May 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

I few positives comments and then normal service is resumed.

Yup - and that poster is clearly well up in the running for this year's winner of dumbest post, although I think that the rules state that entrants must be over the age of 5 so she may well not be eligible.

LoveAmiga #17 Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:33 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27201 battles

You failed tho. This is how the Tiger 2 sounds in real life:

Edited by LoveAmiga, 27 May 2016 - 05:33 PM.

Zachax #18 Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4244 battles
On the video it was stated that the opinions were split and strongly polarized - either people liked the new sounds a lot or not at all, and there were references on "cooking pots" and "spoons and forks". When I first heard the new sounds, my reaction was that huh, gun blasts have been changed to poffs. My friend on the other hand commented that the sounds are much better now.

Obviously the reason why it sounds to me worse than to my friend is because he has better speakers than I do. Currently on my own gaming computer the speakers are frankly just lame. Also if I'll use headphones for instance it sounds better naturally. Might therefore assume that at least some of those who have disliked the new sounds simply have not too fancy audio playback systems with their computer. However, the playback device should be only a part of the issue; improved audio should still sound better than former sounds with the same (low quality) speakers.

While music recordings are mixed, the mixer needs to not only have high-end studio monitors that reproduce the sound perfectly as it should come out, but also some poor small speakers for comparison. If you'll only do sound equalization optimized for the good speakers that are able to reproduce easily flat ranges of both very high and low frequency sounds, it is highly possible that the audio track gets lots of such frequencies emphasized that are hardly heard at all on some small cheap speakers, and thus it might sound really thin or otherwise bad with those speakers. Especially low bass frequencies are generally not reproduced at all below 100 Hz or even less than 200 Hz with ordinary small speakers, while many people might think the great booming kicks are gotten from the lower than 100 Hz frequencies. Thus especially with bass dominant sounds (engine roars and explosions tend to have heavy bass levels) there needs to be some frequencies added also to much higher Hz levels for the listener to not lose important information about the bass sounds, even while this might sound a bit illogical in common sense.

I don't know if this referred phenomenon was the exact issue with WoT, but figured it might have been one reason for such split opinions. One might then ask should it be cared for the issue, if it's about people not buying proper audio playback devices and thus not getting to enjoy it as it should be? Well, if that is the case, in a way it could be just dismissed indeed: get better systems. But like said, at least part of the old sounds seemed better in given situations. Assuming it is deemed worth the effort, it is possible to do the mixing job in a such fashion that the sounds are equalized to sound alright also on worse speakers, without it causing them to sound bad on better speakers either.

jagdcommander #19 Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35552 battles

View PostZachax, on 27 May 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

Obviously the reason why it sounds to me worse than to my friend is because he has better speakers than I do. Currently on my own gaming computer the speakers are frankly just lame. Also if I'll use headphones for instance it sounds better naturally. Might therefore assume that at least some of those who have disliked the new sounds simply have not too fancy audio playback systems with their computer. However, the playback device should be only a part of the issue; improved audio should still sound better than former sounds with the same (low quality) speakers.

Exactly. I imagine the WG developers have very top end machines and all they can do is give the very best source sound. How good our speakers are and how the sounds on our machines are set is very relevant.

The same applies to colours where the same colour on the same tank almost certainly won't appear identical on different screens.

Laatikkomafia #20 Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 20232 battles
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P
How WG improved the sound in this patch:

Crew voices randomly stop working.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users