Nerfing/balancing/removing artillery

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Artillery nerf/remove? (17 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Should Artillery be nerfed/removed?

1. It has to be removed because its such a bad game mechanic. (5 votes [29.41%])

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

2. It has to be nerfed/balanced because its to over powerd right now. (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

3. I think its perfect for how it sits right now. (5 votes [29.41%])

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

4. Maybe some slight tweaks here and there. But I am not complaining. (4 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

Vote Hide poll

InfinityGamingForWar #1 Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:54 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16229 battles
  • [DPG1] DPG1

Dear fellow tankers,

I am posting a topic/discussion start about nerving or removing artillery. I am so fed up with it that I really thinking of quitting this game. I think its the worst game mechanic you can ever wish because they are so over powered. They can just one shot pretty much everything and it is easy to play.

So lets get cracking, shall we?

My first point is that artillery is meant to prevent campers. But it doesn't WORK like that. It makes it worse because people are now stuck in certain places and if they leave these kind of spots, they get bombarded with shells and their game will be ruined. And how can you prevent campers when they aren't even SPOTTED?!

As the second point is that Artillery doesn't take skill at all. You outplay someone because you are simply better/have a better tank than them. Most tanks are easy to learn but hard to master. Except for artillery. Its not that hard to play these machines and you just drive somewhere, and devastate enemy vehicles. And when a light tank comes close, you sit behind a corner, wait and hope your reaction time is good enough.

The third thing I want to say is that artillery never really got a accuracy nerf in 8.6. Because it still hits a tank flush with quite a high chance of doing that. Also, the splash damage prevents this accuracy nerf partly. Because if you miss, you will still do like 500-600 damage even tough its splash.

The fourth thing is that artillery used to be in way high games. So for example: a tier 6 arty will mostly be in a tier 8 game at best. But now after 8.6, artillery gets matched like a normal tank and that's what makes them so devastating. Which should have never been done in my opinion.

The fifth thing is that artillery is way to rng based you might only do 50 damage when you hit the gun mantle from a tank or one-shot them. Of course, these scenario's are rather unlikely but artillery should be more consistent with doing damage. 

I recommend checking out this video from Quickybaby where he shows how artillery became after 8.6: https://www.youtube....h?v=uGm0PqWVsgM

So what can we do about it?

Well my first idea was that you have a arty-aiming indicator which shows you when artillery is aiming for you. This will not have a sound because that is way to annoying but just a little icon popping up. And give you a clear indication when the artillery fired. So you have a chance to get out. At the same time, decrease the shell velocity so you have a little bit more time to get out.

My second solution is to simply nerf the alpha and make the artillery fire quicker.

Please reply and tell me what you think.

I hope you have a great day! And that you get a lot of games without artillery!

-InfinityGamingForWar

basin79 #2 Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:32 PM

General

• Player
  • 15351 battles
How very novel. Tell me, out of all the games you've played, how many times have you actually been killed by arty, compared to say heavies, meds, TD's and lights?

InfinityGamingForWar #3 Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:09 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16229 battles
  • [DPG1] DPG1

View Postbasin79, on 31 May 2016 - 09:32 PM, said:

How very novel. Tell me, out of all the games you've played, how many times have you actually been killed by arty, compared to say heavies, meds, TD's and lights?

Well, not much. Artillery mostly targets players with high wn8 or players with lots of hp so they could dish out a lot of damage. It doesn't certainly mean I always get killed by arty but I have many games (Around 80%) that I got around 500-1000 damage because of artillery. And this is only for the higher tiers of course.

datester #4 Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:09 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29291 battles

Arties have an impact on the game way beyond their numbers.

I have a low WN8; Im in no way a prime target. But I play (too) agressive. I get hit by arty a lot more than by other types, based on their relative occurence. Thats not observer bias (I keep tabs on stuff).

When I play arty myself, I'll be in the top 3 for damage done, or at the bottom; based on pure luck.

point 1. Agree. Arty doenst prevent camping, arty induces camping.

point 2. Mwah. Arty does take skill. At least as much as playing a heavy. Hitting a moving target is hard. Not as hard as it should be, and you also need a lot of luck, but yes, some skill too.

point 3. The splash only works for high tier arties. Anything upto T7 doesnt have much of a splash; a miss will do very little damage, if any.

point 4. Dunno

point 5. Dont agree. HE is less rng dependend than AP. HE will allways do damage; AP might bounce.

Solution wise I think there are two options. 

- Make it more realistic (decrease shell velocity, decrease accuracy, increase reload time; add tracer spotting for counter battery; limit the overhead view). It would work imho, but arty would also become even more boring to play and rng based. There is a reason SPGs dont fight in the front line if they can help it.

- Make it even less realistic (decrease alpha, decrease reload time). Wouldnt it become almost like a paper TD, firing HE? Is that a class worth of sustaining?

Xino9922 #5 Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:09 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16016 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View Postdatester, on 02 June 2016 - 12:09 PM, said:

point 5. Dont agree. HE is less rng dependend than AP. HE will allways do damage; AP might bounce.

*Bounces off the side of a SU-122-54 with HE fired from a Grille 15*

"HE always does damage" :sceptic:

datester #6 Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:46 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29291 battles

You are right, HE doesnt allways pen.

But HE only bounces when the angle is below 15.

AP bounces when it doesnt pen, and AP bounces when the angle is below 30. 

So I still claim that HE is less rng dependend than AP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users