We're Here Because We're Here Project: Remembering the Somme

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Slyspy #1 Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:37 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14194 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

A fantastic living art project on the anniversary of the first day of the Somme which I think is a great idea:

https://becausewearehere.co.uk/

Edit:

Too fantastic!

Edited by Slyspy, 01 July 2016 - 09:38 PM.

Tommy_Atkins_Teapot #2 Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:16 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21474 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Saw this in the media.  I don't do arty farty stuff, however a large thumbs up for whoever had this idea.

Then in the evening, saw the impact this made on folk who witnessed, job done.

Lest we forget

Tommy.

Joggaman #3 Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:34 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 23542 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Ulfhedinn_ #4 Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:24 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48246 battles

I'd love to agree but I'm afraid I can't, that's just more social engineering propaganda, it's about manipulating the view of modern society for the sake of modern society, it's not genuinely remembering, sympathising with, or celebrating the real WW1 BEF, they are using their memory like playing pawns to pretend a socially / politically convenient untruth.

I remember my mum telling me about the WW1 War wounded in Nottingham, on run up to WW2, they were still on their little trollies with no legs, some blind, no arms etc, having to beg. That's what they should do a living art recreation of, to commemorate them & the Country they sacrificed so much for and that they fought to save for their forbears, lol, that they returned to & that treated them so well. This Country doesn't work anymore, it hasn't been what it kids itself it still is (what it certainly used to be), for a long time. I'd have volunteered for WW1 like they did, even knowing what it was like I'd still volunteer to fight for them and their Country, but I wouldn't fight for this Country as it is now, to keep it as it is and for this Establishment, I don't believe most of them would either.

edit- stuff that isn't true, by definition isn't art, by definition it is only entertainment, decoration (indulgences), or propaganda. Best art I've seen to do with WW1 was the glass / ceramic poppies at Tower of London, that just commemorated everyone appropriately & truthfully, including Empire troops like all the Indian & others ethnic Regiments. We even had a black officer in charge of white men (there's just no need for the political manipulating of what our population looked like in WW1, it's as bad as that recent hoodie version of Robin Hood that pretended the population in medieval England was like it is today). There's just no need and it gets in the way of the truth that is just as good if not better.

Edited by Ulfhedinn_, 03 July 2016 - 12:29 PM.

Tommy_Atkins_Teapot #5 Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21474 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Dear Ulfhedinn,

I disagree with your opinion, this is/was not about trying to socially engineer history.  This was purely an exercise to try and reconnect this modern day Brit, to his/her past.  These volunteers merely handed out cards, with a fallen heroes details on.

Regards

Tommy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users