• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

harli23 #1 Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:01 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19934 battles
  • [WFPKN] WFPKN

Hello everyone 

I'm from Slovenia and am planing to visit Bovington tank museum sometime in August or September ( haven't decided on the exact date yet). 

Reason for this post is I need some advice on the trip.

So let's get started: 

1. Do I need more than one day to see everything (want to take my time and have a realy good look at the tanks and other stuff they have) please recomend how much time I should put aside for the museum 

2. Are there any hotels in the area that you would recomend (don't need presidential suite) something with a reasonable price will do 

3. What is the best way to get there (will use airplane to get to uk) are there any airports in the area 

4. Is there anything else of interest nearby (I like military stuff, ships, airplanes and cars)  other museums 

5. Any other advice you can think of would be appreciated 

Thanks for everything guys happy hunting. 

sabresteel #2 Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15152 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

It's a wonderful place... coincidently was there yesterday!

You can do it all in a day.... but you need a full day as there is a lot there. I recommend going on a weekday as they have a live tank display at 1pm in the arena (yesterday was a ferret scout, leopard 1 and a british apc fv1234567 or some such imaginatively named vehicle) although id check for your date as they stop sometime in autumn I think. If you can wait till next year though go when tankfest is on... that is truely awsome with dozens of tanks driving... many ww2 including a tiger 1. Isnt so busy you can't see the exhibts and adds at least another day onto the visit with all the stalls and outside displays. 

I'd stay on the coast as its really nice round here. Swanage is nice and will be around £30 for the taxi.

If you stay in swanage you can get the steam train to corfe castle ... two lovely other bits of history there.

If you rent a car then you could also go to the fleet air arm museum:http://www.fleetairarm.com

And Stonehenge is also nearby.

Fly to gatwick and then train down here goes from gatwick, change at clapham junction and then on to station nearest hotel. Wool is station nearest museum. Wareham is one nearest swanage. Or maybe rent a car.

Have fun!

Nokkeli #3 Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17706 battles
  • [SWEDH] SWEDH
  1. One day should be enough to see the museum but if you intend to really take a close look at everything it might take more time.
  2. Lots of hotels near, just use your favorite online hotel booking site and enter the tank museums address and pick the one you like the most. I stayed in Bourmouth for last years tankfest, it's a bit further away but it was really cheap.
  3. Fly to London and then take the train.
  4. There is stuff to do in Dorset, just google and you will find a lot. For example the Fleet Air Arm Museum is pretty close. 
  5. Have fun :great:

harli23 #4 Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19934 battles
  • [WFPKN] WFPKN

Hey guys 

Thanks for advice it helps alot. Wil probably also go to tankfest next year if I can find the time. Anyway thanks again and may the rng be ever in your favor.

Xino9922 #5 Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:24 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16016 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

And you can also get the occasional Challenger 2 or whatever else the Royal Tank Regiment feels to take out for a spin that day, as the area to the west and south of the museum are military training grounds.

Last time I was at Bovington I saw a convoy of Royal Tank Regiment vehicles pass by on my way to the museum.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users