A 100%ers guide to the AMX 30 Prototype

100% MoE Gitting gudder Edith Piaf 100%er guide

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

IamAimingAtYou #1 Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:08 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33332 battles

Want an insight into the AMX 30p from the eyes of someone who 100%ed it? You have come to the right place.

Proof of my claims:

Spoiler

My stats for the stat-deniers:

Spoiler

The armor

+ It keeps the weather out and keeps your safe from a 59-16

+ It has an autobounce zone on the hull that can save you at times

- Taping a cardboard box to the front would effectively give you twice as much armor with the spaced armor mechanics in this game

Most French tanks that are not lights tend not to be very well armored tanks. This tank is no exception. Apart from a decently sized autobounce zone on the hull and your mantlet, you do not stand any chance at bouncing shells. Most of your side, rear and parts of your turret are also 30mm, which means any >90mm gun can and will triple overmatch it. For those who do not know, that means that they will pen at whatever angle they hit you at. Effectively the pebbles thrown up by the tanks behind you are a hazard to your health pool.

Just try not to get shot, really. Or artied. Arty hurts this tank bad.

For those wondering about the ammorack, it is not as bad as a leopard. The ammorack does get hurt quite frequently, because it is behind the front tracks so it is behind an obvious place people shoot, but first shot ammorack damages are not that common. Another thing to note is that if people pen your hull in a very specific angle from the front, they can hit the fuel tanks if the caliber is big enough and they can set you on fire from a frontal shot. Happened to me twice in total I think, but it is worth considering when you are deciding about your consumables.

The mobility

+ It is really fast. Even backwards. *insert French WW2 joke here*

- It does turn like a boat however

This tank is really fast. It really puts the PTA to shame. The e50 looks like a heavy tank compared to it. I do not know how fast the batchat is, but apart from the 25 ap, 430v2 and the WZ-120 I have driven every tier 9 medium and I can safely say this tank is the best among its peers in terms of straight line speed. Even among tier 10 mediums there are not very many tanks that actually compete in terms of speed. If you come late to a party in this tank, you really have yourself to blame. Though the speed does come with a consideration: just because you can be the first one in, doesn't mean you should. Waiting for your teammates to catch up will become second nature.

There is one caveat with the mobility though and it is similar to the CDC. The base traverse of 36 degrees/sec. This number does not seem horrible, but it is a relative number. If you are doing the 65km/h top speed you will notice the fairly large turning circle. It is not a major problem, but it limits your ability to circle and dance around heavy tanks quite a bit. If you have not tracked the heavy tank, you probably are not going to get a free kill by circling him.

The similarities with the CDC do not end here however.

The gun

+ 260 APCR pen means gold ammo is for convenience, not necessity

+ Gun depression that gives you so much more choice in positions compared to the PTA

+ Shell velocity and accuracy that makes it feel like a railgun when aimed

-You do need to aim, since snapping your shots will lead to you shooting dirt

There are a lot of good tier 9 medium tanks in the game. But 260 silver pen is still an exception. e50, m46 and T-54 will all have to spam gold to deal with e5s, E-100s and Mice. This tank however can quite comfortable pen weakspots on all tier 10 heavies to pen them frontally and on top of that gets 320 pen HEAT for when you just cannot be bothered to flank that hulldown E-100 or if you really feel like penning a maus at 450m.

The gun will allow you to hit amazing shots as long as you follow this simple rule: aim your shots if you can. The aim time of the gun is very decent, but the bloom is quite noticeable because the tank is so fast. On top of that it has the typical french trait of preferring the sides of your reticle over the middle if you snap the shots. I keep saying it, but it is just really true for this tank, AIM your shots or you will not be liking the gun.

On top of the speed, the gun depression is what really sets this tank apart from it's closest peer, the PTA. 3 degrees of gun depression more gives you a load more flexibility in choosing positions and will make you compete less with Russian mediums for good spots. Since the armor is so poor and the element of surprise, flexibility and camouflage are your best friends in dealing damage having that additional freedom of positioning means a lot.

Conclusion

The AMX 30p is a very capable tank if you are able to deal with the lack of armor. It is also one of the least gold relying tanks at tier 9, to the point where with premium account and Stronk Coffee I was still making credits in this tank. If you are looking for a close analogue to this tank look no further than the CDC and the Leopard PTA. Though I have to say this tank is straight up stronger and more capable than the two.

FAQ:

-keep 30p or buy 30b and move crew?

keep 30p and get the Leopard 1 as T10 med instead

30p >>PTA

30b < Leo 1

-Batchat or AMX?

For the tier 10 get the batchat, otherwise get the amx 30p.

Edited by milki30, 09 October 2016 - 02:32 PM.

IamAimingAtYou #2 Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:09 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33332 battles

As for equipment and skills, I run my tank like this:

Spoiler

The proportion of gold to silver shells is really a matter of personal preference. I would advise to at least take 7 for those situations where a maus or E-100 is giving you trouble. APCR is really good enough for most situations, but I personally would rather carry too much gold than too little, since it is not very likely I will run out of my 30 APCR anyway. The only tier 9 or higher tanks I do not run food on are Russian because they tend to light up like a candle, but running Coffee is a matter of personal preference and in game wealth. If you run a premium account then running food is definitely not going to break your bank. Food does alleviate the somewhat annoying turret bloom though.

In terms of equipment there is not really that much choice. Vertical Stabilizer and Rammer are just go to picks really. I would recommend running optics however, since having at least 450 viewrange is going to help you get some cheeky long range shots off. Since you do not have any armor range is your friend. Though since I run food and have an amazing waifu crew with all of the viewrange increasing skills I can afford to run ventilation and still have enough viewrange.

As for skills I would recommend the following:

Sixth Sense, BIA, Recon, Repairs

Snap shot, BIA, Deadeye, Repairs

Off-road Driving, BIA, Clutch Braking, Repairs

Safe Stowage, BIA, Situational awareness, Repairs

Smooth ride is not a very useful skill imo, since it only works if you are driving AND turning the hull and does not even give that big a bonus. Snap shot is a similarly small bonus, but since the turret rotation bloom is the worst one on this tank it is actually quite a valuable skill to train. Camo is very useful as well, but with the current maps in rotation I would say that even for a paper armor medium tank repairs > camo. For a fifth skill I would definitely recommend going full camo though, but you will have made up your own mind by the time you have ground out 4 skills yourself.

Edited by milki30, 14 August 2016 - 07:24 PM.

IamAimingAtYou #3 Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:09 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33332 battles

Finally got around to typing out this bit and it's going to be somewhat less structured, so bear with me.

Shooting:

-aim your shots, this gun does not "behave" when snapping them. Shell velocity makes it feel like a railgun though.

-get used to not having to lead very much

-but do not autoaim at distant targets either, it's not THAT amazing, nor does it give you a chance at a trackshot.

-even when brawling, let the gun rest until the reticle fits the largest piece of metal you can pen.

-even though it's APCR you can expect to pen a few tanks at quite oblique angles. Your pen allows you to shoot a sidescraping tiger if he doesn't aim at autobounce and doesn't show his turret side.

Surviving:

-do not be spotted in the same position for too long. Arty will take notice and so will the enemy guns.

-go to hilly areas rather than corners. Work that depression to minimize your exposure time.

-that thing that sticks out of your turret is a cupola. You can spot with only that showing to the enemy if you are low health or just afraid to take the hit.

-ALWAYS assume O-ho's, 183s and the odd t49 is loaded and try not to show them a flat piece of non-spaced armor.

-for that matter, always expect to take damage if the enemy can hit you.

-relocate if your support died off. You are not a great solo frontline tank, just back off to support someone else.

-you know light tank focus? that goes up for this tank as well, but you can easily use that to your advantage by making yourself the hardest target as soon as someone starts paying attention to you. Splitting someone's attention is the easiest way to kill him without taking damage.

Edited by milki30, 24 August 2016 - 11:50 PM.

IamAimingAtYou #4 Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33332 battles
Reserved because I can

keyres #5 Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 35599 battles
  • [F-T-R] F-T-R

It does not matter how good a game I had in this tank, it always feels like I'm playing well under its potential (which makes me sound like a douche when I'm platooning). You sir, are a proof I still have to learn a lot about this tank *salutes*.

Still loving every game, and every 400 meters pixel shot.

HunterXHunter8 #6 Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34167 battles

isn't the proto better then 30b??

i know this is true for type 4, because type 5 is barely better and a tier above 

leggasiini #7 Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15794 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostHunterXHunter8, on 16 August 2016 - 01:49 PM, said:

i know this is true for type 4, because type 5 is barely better and a tier above 

Well, AMX 30 is often considered very good while AMX 30B is often said to be worst tier 10 medium...so that might tell you something

IamAimingAtYou #8 Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:35 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33332 battles

View PostHunterXHunter8, on 16 August 2016 - 11:49 AM, said:

In hard statistics, no. Relatively speaking, yes. You get to fight t7s with 1/3rd of your alpha, have overkill pen for most things you meet and don't have to fight JPZs and Grilles all day long. On top of that the 30b gets cheeks on the side of the hull, making the hitbox bigger, and the 30prot has a bigger autobounce zone on the hull.

30P has the hull and the matchmaking advantage. 30B has the looks and handling advantage, but that is wasted by the fact the competition has caught up.

Userext #9 Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:34 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16259 battles
why does this tank have such horrible dispersion at turret rotation? It completly kills the "stay away from your targets" idea as you have to rotate your turret to hit moving targets

IamAimingAtYou #10 Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:21 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33332 battles

View PostUserext, on 07 September 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

why does this tank have such horrible dispersion at turret rotation? It completly kills the "stay away from your targets" idea as you have to rotate your turret to hit moving targets

Aim in front of them at a static point and lead the shot that way, counteracts the bloom a bit. But at medium ranges it's not that bad so you can still lead shots the normal way if you prefer that. 

The biggest issue with the dispersion is firing after moving full speed, since your aim circle is the size of the moon. 

The_Georgian_One #11 Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:58 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40104 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

So that's the reason why I can't even 2-mark this tank, even though I have purple stets in it, thank you milki :P

How often does it burn for you? Not afraid of ditching AFE for coffee? I don't see too many fires, but AFE I use lowers the chance of them.

Love this tank by the way, one of if not the best tier 9 med imo.

Edited by The_Georgian_One, 12 September 2016 - 08:58 AM.

IamAimingAtYou #12 Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:26 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 33332 battles

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 12 September 2016 - 07:58 AM, said:

How often does it burn for you? Not afraid of ditching AFE for coffee? I don't see too many fires, but AFE I use lowers the chance of them.

Love this tank by the way, one of if not the best tier 9 med imo.

Not often. No, just try not to get shot in the side and hope they don't hit the fuel tanks on a frontal shot and you're fine. The only tanks I don't run food on are russian tanks as they tend to burn easily. Even the 215b I run food on, but there I switched out the medkit, since even with an AFE it burns 1 in 4 games. To put it into context, I think I burned about 6 or 7 games out of the 421 I've played, but don't quote me on that.

You could always run firefighting on a couple of crewmembers if it bugs you and you can afford it or run jack of all trades and ditch the medkit instead. Though I would advise against the latter, since crew deaths are way more common on this tank than fire.

And yeah, from the t9 meds with 250+ base pen single shot guns this is the absolute best one. Though t9 mediums in general are really good.

The_Georgian_One #13 Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:55 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40104 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

Thanks. I usually abuse gun depression as much as I can, so I don't get shot from the sides too often. Unless it's an arty hit. For this even -15 degrees wouldn't help.

Can you please stop playing it now, so that I can have my 2 stripes finally? :B

IamAimingAtYou #14 Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:03 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33332 battles

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 12 September 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

Thanks. I usually abuse gun depression as much as I can, so I don't get shot from the sides too often. Unless it's an arty hit. For this even -15 degrees wouldn't help.

Can you please stop playing it now, so that I can have my 2 stripes finally? :B

I did, because I don't want to ruin the 100% because I am busy tryharding t10s and play other fun tanks in between.

Spoiler

____prophet____ #15 Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles
Nice writeup! I have both the 30 Proto and the 30B. Seriously considering selling the 30B - the difference really is big. The 30 Proto is very competitive to say the least while the 30B is not competitive at all. There is one key difference between the two the kill the 30B in comparison - the 30B is much slower than the 30 Proto. Often it feels like the 30 Proto is better than the 30B even in absolute terms. The speed advantage plus the fact that as a tier 9 you get more allied tier 10s to support you means that often the 30 Proto will do better in a game. I don't have the Leo 1 yet, but looks like I'll be switching from the 30B to the Leo 1 - they are so similar but the Leo is just faster which makes it possible to do the same things as you would in the 30 Proto.

The_Georgian_One #16 Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40104 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

View Postalisuorittaja, on 28 September 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

Nice writeup! I have both the 30 Proto and the 30B. Seriously considering selling the 30B - the difference really is big. The 30 Proto is very competitive to say the least while the 30B is not competitive at all. There is one key difference between the two the kill the 30B in comparison - the 30B is much slower than the 30 Proto. Often it feels like the 30 Proto is better than the 30B even in absolute terms. The speed advantage plus the fact that as a tier 9 you get more allied tier 10s to support you means that often the 30 Proto will do better in a game. I don't have the Leo 1 yet, but looks like I'll be switching from the 30B to the Leo 1 - they are so similar but the Leo is just faster which makes it possible to do the same things as you would in the 30 Proto.

I've never seriously considered buying tier 10, there's no upgrade and you're always in tier 10 games. In proto you can smack tier 7s and the tank isn't any worse than 30B.

The_Georgian_One #17 Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40104 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

Received my 2nd mark yesterday. Interestingly enough 6.5k spotting and 3k own damage gives only 1st class in this tank. Can you unicums please stop playing it already? :P

Hyina #18 Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:40 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 53369 battles

Hate to break the bubble here... But I disagree with people who think this is an "amazing" tank, it's good, no doubt, in certain situations. But apart from the horrible traverse, the killing factor is this tank being HORRENDOUS at shooting on the move. I don't care what dispersion values it has, and how accurate it's supposed to be, but I like my mediums to be able to shoot on the move and at least hit the target when I fully aim it, the 30 prot can do neither of those things well enough for a truly amazing medium. It's a good tank in the right situations, I'll give it that no doubt, but truly amazing? Too inconsistent gun kills it. 260mm pen or not, if it can't hit it won't do damage, and that's minus all those stupid flatside shots that magically gets absorbed by some minor tracks...

I've gritted my teeth trying to 3 mark this and got close at 1 stage at 94.5%, have had some amazing carries etc. Before anyone says go play it more...

Sold it after a game where 10/10 shots which was reasonably well aimed just did not hit the target, one after the other, varying from 500 to 50m. Never regretted it since.

Just wondering if anyone else shares this view or it's just me against QB and rest of the world lol.

Edited by Hyina, 13 January 2017 - 04:42 AM.

The_Georgian_One #19 Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:57 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40104 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN
^^ it's a French tank and has a French gun, you will never have T62a levels of on-the-move accuracy. I tend to fully aim my shots in it as much as I can.

MeGosuMeKane #20 Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9584 battles

Hi,

quick question about picture in post #2, what does it mean the x5 next to Repair and Camo incons on each crew member ?

thanks

Edited by MeGosuMeKane, 30 January 2017 - 04:00 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users