• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Drunken_Jedi #1 Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:35 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5883 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

Afternoon folks :)

Ok, recently I've been starting to really feel disillusioned with WoT. I count myself as a average player, but I have my moments and I'll be honest being able to read a mini-map instantly puts me in the "above average" category lol. By the way this isn't an "I'm quitting" post, merely looking for alternatives to try and take a short break.

Anyway, there are so many issues cropping up in WoT these days. The match making system has been a disaster for as long as I've been playing the last couple or years or so but with the constant map removals and "tweaks" to make them more newbie (read: heavy tank) friendly it puts players like myself who very much prefer the role of the sneaky light tank or the agile paper medium at a distinct disadvantage. New tank lines are coming in which are hopelessly OP, The O-I was just one problem but I find the Skoda's more specifically the higher tier ones are just flat out insane in the hands of a capable player (and people whine about the French auto-loaders lol). Couple all these issues with the utter donkeys who you get paired up with and it just feels like the game is fast becoming a waste of time. I was particularly concerned with the way in which WG described their future plans for the Sandbox and how that might effect the live server in weeks or months to come... smaller maps... more brawling... less pen from range (another nerf to TD's/sniper meds). Just feel that my time with this game is coming to an end, which I'll be honest makes me a little sad since I can see the obvious potential in the format and how with some common sense tweaks to the system it could be made absolutely epic, however I digress...

Which brings me to the main point of this topic, and I hope you can forgive me for that little mini rant up there. Has anyone here had a decent try of Armoured Warfare? I know it's a relatively new kid on the block and probably has issues of it's own. However there are features in the game which appeal to me as a light tank driver with pretty big open maps with an absence of obvious "go here and corridor snipe" like you get in WoT especially with the remastered maps. There are some interesting game mechanics, especially the artillery with the counter arty feature (they should really put this in WoT - an example of WG not being able to fix their own game), lasing, guided missiles, smoke launchers etc. Just genuinely curious as to how many of you have played it and liked it.

I've tried War Thunder too, and was very disappointed by Gaijins attitude towards their own game which too is a shame I loved how the tanks "felt" when moving and the sounds and graphics were quite good however the Russian bias is even more pronounced there than it is in WoT lol which takes some effort frankly!

Thanks in advance for anyone who chimes in here. And to Wargaming, I imagine this will get locked because I dared to talk about another tank MMO game on your forums, however... please take this into consideration... your recent blase attitude to obvious balance issues and increasing greed with ever increasing numbers of ridiculously overpriced premiums and "bundles" specifically tailored to rip the EU community off won't wash forever. You are bleeding this milk cow dry, and over time peoples attitudes will change especially if you find yourselves with a good competitor in the market. Tank MMO's are no longer the niche market that it was when WoT released. You have to up your game, considerably, or it may prove to be your eventual downfall (at least as far as WoT is concerned). Which I think would be a shame.

MBCLK320 #2 Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:21 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21929 battles

Hi there.

I have been playing WOT for 4 years. Stopped playing a year ago or so. Playing AW since late alpha. I think AW has a great potential, since they have learned from WOT's mistakes and on many occasions take player feedback into consideration. Will keep playing AW since there are no other alternative, but one thing for sure- will never get back to WOT. For now- when You get tier 9/10-MBTs dominate in almost every aspect over every other class, but that's about to change in couple of next patches because of total balance overhaul- more powerful ATGMs etc, You can check their forums for detailed information. In other words, welcome to AW mate:), hope You enjoy it.

P.S. One interesting feature- showing stats are not mandatory, so every player can feel equal to others without judgment regarding those stupid numbers.

X101 #3 Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 25262 battles
  • [DTIN] DTIN

95% of players did just that m8. Tried it.

P.S. Showing stats not not being mandatory is not feature. Usually people insulting you in game are bad players. Ability not to show stats only allows them to feel more freely in insulting and blaming others. 

Strappster #4 Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:34 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Is AW the one where everyone plays PvE because PvP is so bad?

MBCLK320 #5 Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21929 battles

View PostStrappster, on 31 August 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

Is AW the one where everyone plays PvE because PvP is so bad?

PvP is not bad nor good- somewhere in the middle. The state of PvP gameplay is what it is because of majority of players rush through tiers in PvE mode and after they reach desired vehicle, they jump into PvP where they have no clue how to play versus real players in exact vehicle, thinking it will as easy as PvE.

Xino9922 #6 Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:48 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16016 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostMBCLK320, on 31 August 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

Hi there.

I have been playing WOT for 4 years. Stopped playing a year ago or so. Playing AW since late alpha. I think AW has a great potential, since they have learned from WOT's mistakes and on many occasions take player feedback into consideration. Will keep playing AW since there are no other alternative, but one thing for sure- will never get back to WOT. For now- when You get tier 9/10-MBTs dominate in almost every aspect over every other class, but that's about to change in couple of next patches because of total balance overhaul- more powerful ATGMs etc, You can check their forums for detailed information. In other words, welcome to AW mate:), hope You enjoy it.

P.S. One interesting feature- showing stats are not mandatory, so every player can feel equal to others without judgment regarding those stupid numbers.

The high-tier tank destroyers at tier 7-8 has already been buffed...

Just got my LAV-600, over 6100 DPM with that thing...:trollface:

If I get around your flank, get rekt:justwait:

MBCLK320 #7 Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21929 battles

View PostXino9922, on 31 August 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

The high-tier tank destroyers at tier 7-8 has already been buffed...

Just got my LAV-600, over 6100 DPM with that thing...:trollface:

If I get around your flank, get rekt:justwait:

"IF":)

After invading southern Greece and receiving the submission of other key city-states, Philip II of Macedon sent a message to Sparta: "If I invade Laconia you will be destroyed, never to rise again." The Spartan ephors replied with a single word: "If"

Xino9922 #8 Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:53 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16016 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostMBCLK320, on 31 August 2016 - 01:57 PM, said:

"IF":)

After invading southern Greece and receiving the submission of other key city-states, Philip II of Macedon sent a message to Sparta: "If I invade Laconia you will be destroyed, never to rise again." The Spartan ephors replied with a single word: "If"

Ohh, believe me, with that camo rating I will :harp:

+ Fully upgraded engine = an average speed of around 70-80 kph

Edited by Xino9922, 31 August 2016 - 02:53 PM.

_maxdz_ #9 Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:25 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5809 battles

I've checked AW and read their forums before buying PremiumAccount  (thus commiting myself to WoT) and found it declining and actually almost dead.

Looks like developers were trying to make a competitor to WoT - but oriented themselves not on experts but on whinners, who came there from WoT because "arty is OP", or "PayToWin is OP", or "no modern tanks", "matchmaker is crap" or whatever reason. The problem is whinners are not best and brightest advisers. Thus competitor to WoT got even more problems than WoT in practically all areas (arty, matchmaker, etc).

Modern tanks there is kinda crap. For example, what the hell Russian "Armata" means - if the only reliable technical information about the tank is 1) it is made using old soviet technologies from 60-70s because there was no technical development in USSR/Russia from that time 2) tank is good enough to get stuck on Red Square in Moscow during preparation for "victory parade" because of problems with engine.

At least WoT keeps the game/tanks somehow historical - nerfing/buffing them but with reasoning and not making out of it some fictional tanks existing only in dreams of developers. And such a "phantasy-tanks" are pretty normal in AW.

Matchmaker: the same +/-2 tiers like here - looks like they experimented with other models (hearing to whiners) and gone to copying WoT like most optimal for now.

Maps are bigger and weapons/armor are wider (including active armor and missiles) but not sure if it makes good for gameplay.

No stats feeds - thus no reliable external statitics on players. And without such statistics it is not possible to make rankings and run tournaments/competitions.

And actually, looks like PvP mode there is dead. On higher tiers (8-10) people are waiting for 10 minutes to start Random Battle - and still getting no battle because of not enough players. And PvE is just boring.

For comparison: in WoT (EU1) starting random battle for high tiers - takes ca. 3-5 seconds even during the middle of European night when there are only 5k players on server.

But i like that it is not possible to integrate mods in AW (because they didn't implement support for extensions in client). :)

Therefore it is not an option for me (at least yet).

Edited by _maxdz_, 31 August 2016 - 05:30 PM.

Pansenmann #10 Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33514 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I played AW for a weekend back when it got "released".

got me a T-54 and went with full HE loadout into PVP battle.

the chat was awesome. :)

uninstalled the following monday

PS: my.com is even worse than gaijin

Edited by Pansenmann, 31 August 2016 - 07:11 PM.

Xino9922 #11 Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:03 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16016 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View Post_maxdz_, on 31 August 2016 - 05:25 PM, said:

Modern tanks there is kinda crap. For example, what the hell Russian "Armata" means - if the only reliable technical information about the tank is 1) it is made using old soviet technologies from 60-70s because there was no technical development in USSR/Russia from that time 2) tank is good enough to get stuck on Red Square in Moscow during preparation for "victory parade" because of problems with engine.

At least WoT keeps the game/tanks somehow historical - nerfing/buffing them but with reasoning and not making out of it some fictional tanks existing only in dreams of developers. And such a "phantasy-tanks" are pretty normal in AW.

I agree with you on the whole AW high tier PvP and MM thing.

However, that line is just pure BS. How many tanks are there in WoT, that actually saw the light of day? 

A lot of the tanks in WoT is based on either vague sketches with minor text descriptions dug out of archives different places in the world, that never saw the light of day, or just general sketches with no description what so ever.

Those are fantasy tanks, I tell you. 

Just wondering what sort of tanks you were referring to in AW as fantasy tanks?

https://en.wikipedia...iki/T-14_Armata

The T-14 actually exists, and it a reasonable followup to Russia's T-90AM and MS variants. Also, the last time I checked passive non-explosive reactive armor didn't exist in the 60/70's.

Let's take an iconic tank from WoT, the KV-4.

That thing never left the drawing board, and you'll find a lot of different concept drawings by a lot of different designers for what could potentially have become the KV-4. The armor values the KV-4 has WG has pretty much pulled out of their arse, as the tank was never created in the first place, and was just planned to have "between this and that much armor". Same thing goes for the design as well, they took modules from some of the concept drawings to make a tank that worked. 

This guy did his homework though:

http://forum.worldof...sign-proposals/

Now, tell me, is the KV-4 we have in game a real or a fantasy tank based on some real life drawings?

Not saying digging into historical archives and finding semi-fantasy tanks, then putting them into your game is a bad idea. It's actually a very good idea to flesh out the tech tree in this way.

But, if you're going to start attempting to sound smart, make sure you're not pulling some BS out of your arse, ok?

Cobra6 #12 Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16314 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Playing light tanks in Armoured Warfare is pure joy to be honest, no artillery one-shotting you all the time, good mobility and well designed maps, good camouflage mechanics.

Heck, I loved the Sheridan in that game which is basically the WoT T49, but in AW it actually has the correct aim-time and dispersion values where in WoT it's treated like a mobile KV-2 that sees tanks 4-5 tiers higher.

The game has got just as many tomatoes though but they don't negatively influence your game as much as in WoT.

Cobra 6

siramra #13 Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25076 battles
  • [DUXTR] DUXTR

AW on NA is dead

AW on EU is declining

Reason is that higher tiers are completely broken. Players toon up in OP tanks and recks everything.

From tier 6 and up it MBTs all the way, pixelhunting to do damage and long quetimes.

Players got bored waiting in PvP que and started playing PvE. That is fun for a while....but not challenging.

Players got fed up with getting their a**es handed to them by toons and the landslide battles that came with them.

Tier 1-4 was fun....cause u had a fighting chance against a higher tier tank. But from tier 6 and up that changes. If u are a tier 7 MBT and the rest is tier 6....well. U reck everything.

Xino9922 #14 Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:56 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16016 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View Postsiramra, on 01 September 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

AW on NA is dead

AW on EU is declining

Reason is that higher tiers are completely broken. Players toon up in OP tanks and recks everything.

From tier 6 and up it MBTs all the way, pixelhunting to do damage and long quetimes.

Players got bored waiting in PvP que and started playing PvE. That is fun for a while....but not challenging.

Players got fed up with getting their a**es handed to them by toons and the landslide battles that came with them.

Tier 1-4 was fun....cause u had a fighting chance against a higher tier tank. But from tier 6 and up that changes. If u are a tier 7 MBT and the rest is tier 6....well. U reck everything.

True AW NA is dead, but WoT NA is dying as well. Turns out people in the NA isn't that into virtual tonks. 

No idea about AW EU, still alot of players on at peak hours. Not as much as WoT though. 

Somebody didn't pay attention to the recent TD buff...

As someone who plays higher tier TD's, "get rekt" is the only thing I can say :hiding:

My LAV-600 can punch through the frontal armor of Ariete, M1 Abrams, T-80, Leopard 2, you name it. Then again, I am a much better than average player in my TD's :justwait:

So it might not apply to all TD drivers though. The number of times "Reprot Xino/Centauro/LAV-600/ for hax" has been said after someone got properly rekt is ridiculous...

Edited by Xino9922, 01 September 2016 - 09:10 AM.

MBCLK320 #15 Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

Private

• Player
  • 21929 battles

View Post_maxdz_, on 31 August 2016 - 04:25 PM, said:

snip

Looks like developers were trying to make a competitor to WoT - but oriented themselves not on experts but on whinners,

snip

It was said from the beginning, tad AW will be developed together with the players- listening to their “whines” as You say. WG so called “experts” do only as they see fit and not giving a rats .... about player opinion (feedback/rant/whine or whatever). Don't waste Your time on counter arguments, because I have seen WOT in much better shape back in the day in comparison to what it has become. 

siramra #16 Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25076 battles
  • [DUXTR] DUXTR

View PostXino9922, on 01 September 2016 - 08:56 AM, said:

True AW NA is dead, but WoT NA is dying as well. Turns out people in the NA isn't that into virtual tonks.

No idea about AW EU, still alot of players on at peak hours. Not as much as WoT though.

Somebody didn't pay attention to the recent TD buff...

As someone who plays higher tier TD's, "get rekt" is the only thing I can say :hiding:

My LAV-600 can punch through the frontal armor of Ariete, M1 Abrams, T-80, Leopard 2, you name it. Then again, I am a much better than average player in my TD's :justwait:

So it might not apply to all TD drivers though. The number of times "Reprot Xino/Centauro/LAV-600/ for hax" has been said after someone got properly rekt is ridiculous...

I gave up when they had SIMMs going on. I lost all of my toon mates cause they didn`t want to play it and I got bored of ques in PvP and playing PvE.

So I actually started playing wows instead.

I might og back to AW on a later stage. But not now.

So in short.....I haven`t seen the TD memo. :)

Edited by siramra, 01 September 2016 - 02:32 PM.

Drunken_Jedi #17 Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5883 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

Well, that was a bitter disappointment. I downloaded AW over night since I was on a night shift anyway. PvP queues are absolutely dead, hardly anyone playing at all. PvE queues too are almost dead although not quite so bad. The AI for PvE is laughable, just a complete joke really - not enjoyable at all. The UI is "big" and not exactly clear cut in the way  it's designed WoT certainly went the right way about UI compared to AW. Also graphically, I thought "Cry Engine huh, should look good". Meh, tanks are pretty low poly and there's not a lot of detail in the terrain even on ultra using the HD version. Tanks handle very oddly indeed, sounds are nice... but that's about it. Looks like the game is well and truely dying a slow death and to be honest I'm not surprised. Any PvP game where you can't get a game relatively quickly even off peak isn't going to see any investment from me.

Thanks for all your opinions here guys, I guess no matter how utterly f**king sh!t you do on WoT some days - it could always be worse :rolleyes:. Guess it's time to get prepared for that Swedish TD grind for the S Tank!

Xino9922 #18 Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:42 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16016 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View Postsiramra, on 01 September 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

I gave up when they had SIMMs going on. I lost all of my toon mates cause they didn`t want to play it and I got bored of ques in PvP and playing PvE.

So I actually started playing wows instead.

I might og back to AW on a later stage. But not now.

So in short.....I haven`t seen the TD memo. :)

That explains a lot :great:

Ulicum #19 Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:45 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39588 battles
  • [3VS27] 3VS27

And everybody whining about realism in wot and aw should go check Steel Beast Pro out... 

Edited by Ulicum, 01 September 2016 - 04:45 PM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #20 Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:55 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 7254 battles
  • [GUP] GUP
I tried to install it, but then I saw it didn't have any Japanese tanks in it so I decided not to install it after all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users