Battle Chat Modifications

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

MrConway #1 Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:22 PM

Community Coordinator

• WG Staff
  • 12777 battles
  • [CIRC] CIRC

Please leave any feedback on the battle chat modifications in update 9.16 here.

XonarPredator #2 Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:49 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7706 battles
  • [NLR] NLR

Since its my first post, firstly i would like to say Hello to everyone.

Regarding the upcoming patch: im really looking forward to the new changes and implementations: new sounds,hit\dmg log,  better\more efficient  spotting system, especially the ingame garage comparison feature which i love since i dont have to search around different sites to do that type of thing anymore, and the other features\changes as well , with the exception of one (the reason which im posting here in the first place), and that is the disabling of chat between the two opposing teams.

This is my personal opinion and should be taken as such: while i do understand why it has gotten to this stage(revealing ally positions,bad language,etc), im not really happy with the fact that it will be removed without leaving the player's freedom of choosing whether to have it on or off; even though i've been revealed by my teammates a couple of times, insulted, death wished xD , and so on,  in different matches, i would still prefer to have this feature enabled and not having it completly removed automatically. The reason for that is, even though it might help me in some cases, it would take away some funny\enjoyable moments and situations from the game,for example: seeing how some people are angry on you when you play with arty, use premium rounds, critically knock out a module\crew, beeing in a silly situation (like jumping off a cliff or something, getting stuck,etc. etc.), all of that adds to the fun and enjoyment of the game; for me, that's a different type of satisfaction aside from the gameplay itself which makes me play more even if im not really in the mood for it. Also not seeing the enemy chat, is like playing solo with just your team, the lack of chat interaction between the two teams gives me a lonely\blindish feeling which i wouldnt like to have in a type of game like this.

All in all, great job with the new patch, i would also like to see people's opinions regarding this modification and if they share the same thoughts as mine.

With esteem Xonar * Predator.

JuanCudz #3 Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26716 battles
I have to agree with XonarP, a badly thought out sledgehammer for WG inability/unwillingness to police their game properly. I'd mention that 80% of the bile and vitriol directed at me comes from my own team, which this chat-ban will do nothing to address. A more vigorous enforcement of the reporting system would be more effective but take time and effort (IE money). For every "I do yur mom" comment I will now lose the camaraderie of a 'GG' or a 'well played'. Overall? Badly thought out, lessens my enjoyment and that means less time playing and less of my money riding on your hip WG.

killa23 #4 Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13354 battles
  • [RITA] RITA

Toxic crybabies+ Bad report system --> Bad report system + all chat removed.

StyleZ_ #5 Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:50 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 32040 battles

I agree with players above, that this change is totally not welcome. It is like shooting a fly with an... eh... tank. :)

Toxic behavior is toxic behavior and you cannot get rid of it simply turning off the chat. In such case you should turn off team chat too, as most of the toxicity is usually coming from your own team when they are blaming their own teammates for “bad play”. So this aspect is wrong from the beginning.

There is already a setting in game client which turns off battle chat completely. You could simply add another optional setting to turn off enemy battle chat and that’s it – leave this decision to players, but don’t take it on yourselves!

Another reason was enemy position revealing. First of all, it is very, very rare and mostly you can see it being done, when it really is necessary. But there is simple solution even for that – disable cross team battle chat in cases that there is only one or two teammates left alive, so no one can get into temptation to reveal positions of those last living teammates.

Few simple solutions, and everyone could be happy, as many times cross team chat is giving us more positive than negative, even if those are the small things like saying Hello or congratulating enemy for good play.

Edited by StyleZ_, 05 October 2016 - 08:51 AM.

Trystram #6 Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:34 AM

Private

• Player
  • 22188 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

Even easier to stop position revealing would be to cancel out certain keystrokes in chat like they do with swearing. To reveal a position, they normally have to type a square, like B4 and so on.

If someone types A0 or B9, then the message is automatically cancelled. And if the person has done it many times, automatically chat ban them from speaking to enemy team. Problem solved. If they have to write a long story of they are behind this house in this box in the north east corner, most people wont bother. 

The issue with swearing and trolling, well there are idiots in the real life, people avoid them. But if someone does something illegal, then the police steps in. Like revealing position.

Taking away the ability to talk to the other team, takes away half the possible interaction in the game. You dont make as many friends, you cant ask someone else to platoon with you. You cant say hello to old friends or clan members. Or wish a player a great game when he has dominated you. The most satisfying messages I have recieved in this game have all come from the enemy team. When even they can say you did great, you know you have done yourself proud. 

I sincerly hope you go back in the next patch, especially when there are easy solutions and it compromises one of hte best aspects of the game. 

Pegster #7 Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:17 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 24944 battles
  • [FILO2] FILO2
Dead can't talk would have fixed it a little but not complete. But getting rid of inter-team chat bad move. Banter can be funny somtimes and more so when you see a player you know on the other team you can say hello to. So much for a community., Failure to take adequate action on reports is the reason for toxic chat.   

albee9 #8 Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 49585 battles
  • [ACIDO] ACIDO

I welcome this change ... very few times I see a 'nice' msg from the enemy team, and I see too many people using the chat for the wrong reasons.

McH_8 #9 Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:20 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14267 battles
Just found chat with enemy disabled, think it is ridiculous, interwebs proudly regulate themselves and now wargaming has to step in. Only logical reason from my perspective is that wargaming is unable to deal with reports on cheating because all other grievances can be prevented by disabling chat as individual person. Really removes part of the game, bitching on arty when playing O-I is part of what makes this game great :-)

smoothpop1 #10 Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:50 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23080 battles
  • [KKO] KKO

id much rather be able to chose for myself if i want cross team chat on, revealing ally position is from what ive observed a raraty and as for the vitriol i dont even notice it anymore, however when you get into those tough situations where its down to the wire it is so rewarding to get that "gg" or "well played mate" from the person you beat and i dont like that i now no longer have the ability to say the same to someone who outplays me. praise from an opponent is always so much more rewarding than praise from an ally.

for me this is a massive loss. please bring it back in 9.16.1

seegge #11 Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:25 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14513 battles
  • [FIPDG] FIPDG

GL HF, ty u2, gg .. I used to write those. Used to. Removal of chat with enemies seems to have completely killed the chat. Today no one replies.

Removal of possibility to chat with enemies just made the game less interesting for me. Some people like to write insults and I am punished? It doesn't seem fair to me.

YummyPork #12 Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:00 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12635 battles

I agree with the majority above - this was a bad move. Yes, there is a lot of toxic crap being slung around but that happens just as much (my gut says it's way more) from your own team.  Removing all-chat does nothing the lessen that behavior.   Read that again - removing all chat has done nothing to reduce the disruptive and toxic behavior of your own team.  So, in that light, this fix has really not worked. It's reduced it by 50% at the most.   If players were annoyed by the behavior of the other team, perhaps an option to turn off all-chat would have been the solution.   If it's kids you are worried about (which, as I understand it, is not your target audience for this game), perhaps implementing a system like Microsoft uses with xbox live where a parent can set up a child's account and manage permissions and interactions.

The other reason for the fix I have heard was to prevent things like revealing positions?   That rarely happens and when it does, I don't think it changes the outcomes of many games.  It's shitty for sure and I would love to have a way to prevent it.  Instead of just gagging all players, perhaps improve the reporting system to improve policing of that "unsportsmanlike behavior". Adding a bit of weight to the "unsportsmanlike" option in the report system would be a bit more selective and targeted solution.  Give a bit of priority to the feedback from the players who are reporting the specific behavior you are trying to get rid of.  

Anyways, not going to just spew my off the cuff solutions to this.  Removing the all-chat has lessened the fun, degraded the gaming experience and was a rather crude solution.  Please try again 

Ragnaguard #13 Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 44908 battles
  • [MOUFA] MOUFA

well said XonarPredator !!!! WG the fact that some babies cried about being told things in game, should not result in removing the chat between teams.... things can get simple... when a replay is presented with a player acting in such behaviour, ban his team and between team chats for a month , two months etc.... if he cannot handle it and finds another way of being annoying, just reset the line he plays with to t 1 and let him play from the beggining the whole line.... and if the problem continues, just permaban and all is well! a person that behaves in such a manner  more than a specific amount of times, will not change at all .....

GET TO THE SOURCE OF A PROBLEM TO FIGHT IT..... DO NOT PUNISH THE WHOLE COMMUNITY FOR THESE PLAYERS.....

and we all rage and have been raged at.... no harm is done..... how many can understand that is what i don't get......

and P.S, next time u will take a really bad step (as disabling the whole community's ability to contact teammates (nomater if they r red or not), do not post some shity replay as an example.... i am pretty sure u can find replays that players also congratulate each other (as we all have done) and that is a reason to keep chat.....

kinda tired of shitty excuses from a billion worth company.......

the problem exists cause this is a way community has found to detonate a bad situation u offer them (bad MM, Gold spammers, Seal clubbers, unwanted OP arty or tanks - who can forget the amount of reports gathered by t 22 owners when rigging was known.......- etc)...

PLS HIRE SOMEONE TO FIND SOLUTIONS, NOT WAYS TO SILENCE A PROBLEM..... 

lahavre #14 Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 38157 battles

A great loss to the game. I enjoyed to interact with enemy, almost always good natured. 

As mentioned above, the majority of toxic chat comes from within team!

I genuinely don't enjoy the game as much now.

Surely they can give us the option ??

t0d0 #15 Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:46 PM

Private

• Player
  • 55544 battles
  • [TAHK] TAHK
WG, you can stop dead players to chat with enemy team. In most cases alive players are too busy to flood the opposite team.

Galterius #16 Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:50 PM

Private

• Player
  • 50324 battles
  • [BETF] BETF

Chat is dead. Aside from one friendly fire incident, today's chat was reduced to automated messages.

Sad.

Edited by Galterius, 05 October 2016 - 09:22 PM.

Homer_J #17 Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 24446 battles

Most stupid idea WG ever implemented, even more stupid than tank horns and at least they had the sense not to go through with those. 

Toxic chat is still there, a bit reduced this morning but as people got XVM working you could see it creeping back. 

levitron #18 Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:23 PM

Private

• Player
  • 52846 battles

View PostGalterius, on 05 October 2016 - 07:50 PM, said:

Chat is dead, aside from one friendly fire incident, today's chat was reduced to automated messages.

Sad.

Pretty boring, now it's more like a single player game :(, IMO cross-team chat was never a real problem.

VoltemWoT #19 Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:35 PM

Private

• Player
  • 10798 battles
  • [SETI] SETI

I honestly think that removing the "all" chat in the game is a fatal mistake. You might argue that there are people that say nasty things, but I can't live without it. It's like your you have gotten married and your wife has been taken from you (exaggerating? Maybe a bit xD). It sounds sad doesn't it. Like I have seen someone say, "I can't say "gg" or "well played" no longer? My soultion do this whole isue is this. 

If someone is saying nasty things to you or any other person, they get a warning in chat in red font saying "Do not argue or insult, or you will face consequeces". The second time it happens, they won't get a third warning, they will be simply suspended for 2 hours or more. Another idea is to simply not allow vulgar language. Multiple reasons for this, 1. Children over the age of 7 are probably playing the game. 2. Way less arguments or insults. (Unless they are that sneaky to simple insult, without using vulgar lang) If this procedure was published, I think it is unneccesary to remove this chat. 

Make sure to share this as much as possible to spread this message. Thank you very much

Signing off, VoltemWoT.

Edited by VoltemWoT, 05 October 2016 - 09:47 PM.

seegge #20 Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:21 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14513 battles
  • [FIPDG] FIPDG
Something popped to mind.. will people shoot more gold now as they wont get 'feedback' (***ing noob using gold while top tier). And if so, could this be motive for WG to act this way?

Edited by seegge, 05 October 2016 - 11:22 PM.

Also tagged with 9.16

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users