Battle Chat Modifications

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

Revener #41 Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:54 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 35237 battles
  • [REQT] REQT

Seriously not being able to talk to the opposing team is going to give me a brain aneurysm doe to frustration.

I seriously doubt even the occasional cursing and whining have been bad enough to warrant this.

Removing this option make it a lesser game.

Removing player interaction make the players more removed from the game, can't even say hello to players that you know now or talk about hilarious things and find new friends.

Also wich is worse vent your occasional frustration about something stupid directly ingfame or actually message them afterwwards.

Besides if someone reveal where the last player is hiding that did nothing to help the whole team the whole match I am just happy, if you don't want to play fine but at least be ready to face the firing squad due to cowardice :)

Edited by Revener, 07 October 2016 - 12:56 AM.

Revener #42 Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:56 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 35237 battles
  • [REQT] REQT

View PostCynd3r, on 06 October 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

Let me shed some light on this decision.

The purpose of of battle chat is supposed to be about coordinating your actions with allies and communicating for better teamwork, as good teamwork is essential in gaining the upper hand in a battle.

At the same time, after years of observation and feedback, we've found that cross-battle chat provides no benefit and is instead used for insults, provocations, and other inappropriate behavior. Instead of aiding good gameplay (which, I reiterate, is the number one reason FOR battle chat), it ends up hindering it by being used to disclose placement of allies and distracting others from the game. 

This is also why we didn't choose to make cross-team chat optional--even if an individual can choose not to read the exchanges, it's not going to stop a teammate from disclosing an ally position to the enemy team--it's just that they'll be unaware of it. 

When observing the reasoning of people trying to argue the benefits of cross team battle chat, we've mostly been seeing responses that more or less boil down to this: "the whole point in this game is to DESTROY ur enemy physically (tanks+skills) and spiritually (strategy + troll).." (this is from an actual post).

For those of you arguing that all this does is displace the toxicity rather than get rid of it: This actually does get rid of a large portion of toxicity. To mitigate the possibility of people being toxic within team chat, we've added the ability to mute them. Also when hovering over a nickname, you will be able to send a complaint about a player, add them to a blacklist.

You can also enable the option of receiving private messages only from friends or disable private messages at all.

Hope this clears up the logic behind this decision. Obviously it can't make everyone happy, but it's become apparent that this move will improve players' gameplay experience in general. 

I dare to state that if you let all the players vote on this , the result would not be in your favour.

And yes there is trashtalk in the chat but most of it is harmless, are you just too lazy to actually chat ban ppl anymore ?

SuriViruS #43 Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:44 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 28445 battles

I guess I will be more relaxed and won't waste time typing smart curses and insults for the player who kicked me.

Might also improve battle-performance for some players.

We'll see if it works out.

douglarse #44 Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:32 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50149 battles

This sucks [edited]so much.

I see friends on the enemy team and cannot say Hello because some people cried about getting flamed by the enemy.

Why didn't you give us a choice of being able to.

1, Disable chat with enemy

2, Disable chat completely.

Only means adding another box to the options and would make sense, but then again this is WG isn't it :facepalm:

dodgy_welding_job #45 Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 29191 battles
  • [NESAD] NESAD
[Edited]

Edited by FireflyDivision, 09 October 2016 - 10:28 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the moderation team, due to inappropriate content. -FireflyDivision

HeidenSieker #46 Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:59 PM

Major

• Player
  • 7383 battles

View Postdodgy_welding_job, on 07 October 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

he should be removed

You'll be removed if you're not careful!

PansarTrollet #47 Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14923 battles
  • [RM] RM

I agree that this wasn't such a good idea. It killed a part of the game that was amusing.

I don't know how automated the old report system was, but should be possible to make it work

better with automated bans ... just like tweaking a serverside e-mail spam filter a little harder.

an0ther #48 Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28478 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Cross team chat has always been a good source of fun & enjoyment in this game, and I've used it a lot. For me, the game is much more boring without the crossteam chat. Boring game = I'll play less.

You do the maths.

And I've not been using the chat for raging.  #ofchatbans so far = 0

From my point of view, this decision and the reasons given behind it are stupid beyond belief. 

Removing tools for socialization in a F2P multiplayer game. Just wow...

There's gazillions of companies busting their brains out how to add social elements to theirs games, so that the players would feel playing against other people, real people instead of just dead pixels onscreen. It's what makes MMO's interesting.

You think it's a great idea to remove them.

Edited by an0ther, 07 October 2016 - 06:05 PM.

YummyPork #49 Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12886 battles

Small sample set here of community members (huge amount of battle though...) but the response is almost unanimous - removing the all chat was a bad idea.   Wargaming, you really need to revisit this decision.  Please and thank you.

Pansenmann #50 Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:47 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30888 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

oh boy, how I miss global battle chat :(

the game has become totally dull and anonymous.

I dont have the feeling I am playing against humans anymore.

grey_area #51 Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:44 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20221 battles
Cynd34 said this on behalf of WG "after years of observation and feedback, we've found that cross-battle chat provides no benefit and is instead used for insults, provocations, and other inappropriate behavior.".  . . . NO BENEFIT!! Well I have what I imagine is an average 17000 battles under my belt and after 5 plus years of observation and feedback I find quite the opposite. It provides massive HUMAN benefit (ie fun). Yes there are some insults, provocations and other inappropriate behavior but this is at most 5% of all chat and there is an established reporting method to allow the community to report those who do. I really do not agree with WG's assessment but would be very interested in the real motivation behind this decision . . . please let it not be that you don't have the resource to follow up the reports!! Respect to WG, but just as I respect my Dad that doesn't make him right all the time.

Edited by grey_area, 07 October 2016 - 11:20 PM.

Vitunhiki #52 Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:15 AM

Private

• Player
  • 20906 battles

BOORING!!  WG!!   Bring back the chat option!!!!!

fitzay #53 Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:22 AM

Private

• Player
  • 15899 battles
I really can't see the financial motivation that would warrant conspiracy-theorizing on why they did this stupid thing...I mean, the only other thing WG ever did that comes close in terms of bad decisions was buffing the Pz II J's armour, which was obviously a lazy man's way to earn some money (considering how they occasionally sell it for 99€ ) . The chat thing, however, I suspect they really thought they are doing the community a favour.

Dear WG: no...

Edited by fitzay, 08 October 2016 - 12:22 AM.

Marshfire #54 Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:55 AM

Private

• Player
  • 35569 battles

Well I can understand why you removed "All" in chat. I could not be bothered by the enemy chat, and thought it was quite amusing, as there are more good guys than bad guys. 

Same people ranting at the enemy, are now ranting at their own team.. As I feel this has increased the last couple of days.. 

Olaen #55 Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:40 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15899 battles
  • [-VIC-] -VIC-

Well, after playing some now. I can say that a big part of why I play this game is now gone, its a MMO game afterall and it doesnt feel like that anymore.

That means it might be just as fun to play coop battles or something in AW!

I am seriously concidering to stop play WoT untill ALL CHAT is back, wich also means I wont be spending my money on it anylonger!

And I have run a prem account more or less continusly, cause I considered this game my GO TO game whenever I felt for playing a game, and therefor was willing to invest a bit in it.

But I wasnt doing this to just feel like playing against BOTs! If so I could have switched to AW when it came out, but I didnt, not because it isnt a ok game, but simply cause I liked the game, playstyle and player interaction in WoT better!

Sure there is some morons and trolls spewing gooo and giving out positions now and then, but the positive sides of cracking a joke to enemy on hitting him/getting hit or being able to congratulate enemy team on job well done and so on WAY outweighs the negative sides!

And as some1 else mentioned above here somewhere, other companies crack their head on how to get a social aspect into their products and games, and here WG REMOVES IT because a few players cant control their actions! 

Will WG put pillows on the tanks too, so the paintjob doesnt get scratched???

And about the Trolls/morons, MAKE THE REPORTING SYSTEM WORK AND THEY WILL BE NO PROBLEM! But the mute silence of the last days will kill this game for me! (And probably all the YT Lol vids too! I feel sorry for Jingles, he`ll be out of a job soon! :D).

So to sum it all up: BRING BACK  ALL CHAT PLEASE, now its just BORING!

1adetadam #56 Posted 08 October 2016 - 05:58 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21651 battles
  • [SANCK] SANCK

I understand why you decided to remove the chat between two teams but as a player, I think this is not a brilliant idea. Every time i play the game after the update, i feel like i am playing solo. It gets quite boring after a couple of matches.

I think you should definitely bring back the chat and leave it to the choice of every player whether to disable it or not.

McTomic #57 Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:42 AM

Private

• Player
  • 19509 battles

In almost 3 years since I started playing WoT I haven't posted anything on the forum, because I really didn't care much about the changes. They usually were for the better.

But removing of ALL chat actually made me post.

Why? Immediately after the update, the  was calm in the chat. It was quiet. Noone was wishing me cancer for killing them with arty, noone was complaining about gold being shot at them, noone was whining...

Only a couple of days later, I miss all the random crap and silliness that was ALL chat. I miss someone saying they love cookies, hell, I almost miss people wishing me cancer, because then you know you're playing against people and not some pixels. 

With removing ALL chat, you basically removed chat from the game. Noone is using TEAM chat, what's the point? Coordination? In 15,000 battles, I don't remember a single instance of team coordination. Currently TEAM chat is practically dead. A gl/hf at the begining and gg at the end. No complaints, no compliments, no nothing. You might as well remove it too.

On the subject of team reveling, it happened occasionally. Most of the time it was pointless anyway if it was true in the first place. The enemy controls all map appart from one corner, and someone "reveals" that the remaining people are hiding in that corner. If the enemy couldn't figure that out, they deserve to loose.

Previous state in chat was not nice but it was not the worst either. People like communicate and WG, you should let them. If they get out of hand, people will report them. With a couple reports to a name, WG could check the logs and see if the reports are true. If they are, remove the offenders ability to use ALL chat. Need more people checking for reports and logs? I'm sure you're not out of money and more people will have jobs. 

Nice clean chat, people are happy chatting, other people are happy because they have jobs and WG can be seen as listening to its customers.

Edited by McTomic, 09 October 2016 - 10:58 AM.

caldoverde #58 Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:02 PM

Private

• Player
  • 47282 battles

Hi.

I have more than 40.000 games and this is the first time i wrote in here.

It seems to me that this is really a BIG change in the game. The possibility of Interact with the enemy team in battle, just to say "Hi", or either "troolling" them is part of the game. Is the social part of the game.

In 40.000 games, i saw players (a few, like 1 per 1000 games) with bad atitude (it happens in real life too, and in cards games, chess, football, basketball and so on, and players still allowed to talk...) , but in general (the big majority) the chat is very positive because it brings human interaction (and fun to the game).

I have more than 200 tanks and almost all of the premiums too, and nobody calls me a "Gold Noob" anymore... And this is sad.  

To me, without the chat, is like playing against the computer, or a number. Is not the same game.

I hope you bring back the chat soon.

All the rest, great work. (1)

Sorry my bad english.

(1) (You could bring in game the rank of the players, like xvm does. The game will be fair and the chat "trash talk" will better understood, for those who do not use xvm. That will be great).   

ARES_IV #59 Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15621 battles
  • [H-O-T] H-O-T

Let me shed some light on this decision.

The purpose of of battle chat is supposed to be about coordinating your actions with allies and communicating for better teamwork,

The occasions of where team chat was used in its intended role are exceedingly rare. You see my battle count next to my name... in all those games there were maybe 5 cases of the chat being used for actual teamplay. The remaining rest was clan recruitment, worthless pleasantries and "you are all shitty noobs" in various languages and variants. There is more value in 10 battles of enemy chat then in 10000 battles of allied chat.

Blame your shitty game design and balancing.

, as good teamwork is essential in gaining the upper hand in a battle.

Actually it is not.

Coordination is of tertiary importance as far as winning games is concerned. Usually the team with more OP tanks or more generous gold ammo spam wins. It would be more valuable if the balancing of your game was not in such a terrible shape. But then I guess catering to stat padding scrubs is appearantly making more money.

At the same time, after years of observation and feedback, we've found that cross-battle chat provides no benefit and is instead used for insults, provocations, and other inappropriate behavior. Instead of aiding good gameplay (which, I reiterate, is the number one reason FOR battle chat), it ends up hindering it by being used to disclose placement of allies and distracting others from the game. 

This is also why we didn't choose to make cross-team chat optional--even if an individual can choose not to read the exchanges, it's not going to stop a teammate from disclosing an ally position to the enemy team--it's just that they'll be unaware of it. 

When observing the reasoning of people trying to argue the benefits of cross team battle chat, we've mostly been seeing responses that more or less boil down to this: "the whole point in this game is to DESTROY ur enemy physically (tanks+skills) and spiritually (strategy + troll).." (this is from an actual post).

The whole point of a massive multiplayer online game is to FIGHT HUMANS! I can fight AI all day all by myself. It feels like fighting bots now. No reaction. Nothing at all.

Or is that your new strategy to compensate for falling player numbers? Preperation for bot replacement of players?

I want to fight humans. Humans that core that I just shot them. Yes, humans that rage in chat and insult me. That is part of the fun.

Might as well play a singleplayer game now. There is nothing of human value left in the game.

For those of you arguing that all this does is displace the toxicity rather than get rid of it: This actually does get rid of a large portion of toxicity. To mitigate the possibility of people being toxic within team chat, we've added the ability to mute them. Also when hovering over a nickname, you will be able to send a complaint about a player, add them to a blacklist.

You can also enable the option of receiving private messages only from friends or disable private messages at all.

Hope this clears up the logic behind this decision. Obviously it can't make everyone happy, but it's become apparent that this move will improve players' gameplay experience in general. 

It does not reduce toxitiy. Instead it will be redirected to your allies. Honestly.. I am going to disable chat completly if this is not reworked at once.

View PostGepard_PH, on 06 October 2016 - 04:30 PM, said:

You can congratulate the player by sending him a message after the battle. 

How likely is that? Until 9.16 it only took a single chat command to congratulate a player on a worthy deed. After death, most people leave the battle immediatly and join a new one. Do you really believe that after being in 1 or 2 different games that I am going back to the result screen of a battle, single out the guy in question - if I remember him - and contact him. His first question is probably going to be "Who are you anyway"?

Congratulations on enemies only work in real time. Not 20 minutes later.

It is actually a way better idea to be social while still in your garage. And if someone really likes to talk, they can join an active clan. Also, it is still possible to chat with your teammates during the battle, I wouldn't recommend it though as you should be focusing on winning the battle instead.

There is no reason to chat in garage with anyone. You have no relation at all. What would you talk about anyway? You never meet those people in battle.

So you recommend not chatting in battle and instead focusing on winning. Great idea, I will disable the CHAT completly immediatly.

I'm confident this change will prove to be a good decision in the long run, even if it takes a while to get used to the absence of cross-team chat. Personally I appreciate that it is now impossible to reveal allies position and people who chat seem to be more collected now.

No, it is not going to. But you will see in time.

People who chat are more collected now? No wonder, considering that only a fraction of people now does it.

View PostPansenmann, on 07 October 2016 - 08:47 PM, said:

oh boy, how I miss global battle chat :(

the game has become totally dull and anonymous.

I dont have the feeling I am playing against humans anymore.

Disabled the chat completly now. No point in it anymore. A toast to teamwork....

Edited by ARES_IV, 09 October 2016 - 03:17 PM.

unholysupertramp #60 Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:01 PM

Private

• Player
  • 36450 battles
  • [TAC] TAC

33k games and i can easily say u have taken massively from the feel of game.

What lazy bastard taught this would be a good idea???

sorry about the language. 

Edited by unholysupertramp, 09 October 2016 - 05:02 PM.

Also tagged with 9.16

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users