3-markers guide to the T57 heavy tank

3-markers guide 3 moe T57 how to

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

IamAimingAtYou #1 Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:59 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 33332 battles

A similar "guide" to the 100%er ones, except I couldn't be bothered to 100% a T10 tank when 3 marks is as much effort as it is.

Proof of 3 MoE:

Spoiler

My stats in the tank:

Spoiler

The armor

+ HD turret is incredibly trollish

+ Upper beak is quite thick

- Lower plate will not stop any shots

The T57 heavy has a number of things that make it different from it's closest peer, the 50b, but the major thing is armor. The HD turret buff wasn't exactly necessary, but it made the thing a huge problem to pen if it's hulldown and moving fast. The 50b gets debatably as effective hull armor, but it doesn't have the staying power of a hulldown T57 heavy. Not that you should expect to bounce most t9 or higher tanks reliably, but they will bounce more often than not. It's not an Is7 turret where you can just sit there and take punishment, but it's a tough pen if you keep moving and deny a clear shot. Unfortunately since it IS still an oscillating turret it doesn't get any direct armor benefit from using it's gun depression, other than hiding your hull. 

And that's a useful thing, since the hull is supposed to be the M103 hull, though I'm not sure if that survived the HD reworks of both tanks. The hull isn't very reliable. The lower plate is quite easy to hit and because the hull is rounded it is a pretty easy pen from any angle. This tank is also incredibly easy to track and pen in the same shot, which is unfortunate since it also has a nasty tendency to get ammoracked. If you have to expose our hull to someone don't be surprised when you lose hitpoints. Though as a T10 heavy tank you do get quite a liberal amount of those.

The mobility

+ Decent Hp/ton

- Oh god the reverse speed

For a HT this tank is not that slow. The 35 km/h top speed will make you want for more, but that's what the 50b is for. Can't have everything you know. The mobility is mostly gimped by terrain soft stats, so it's not as nimble as you would expect from the Hp/t, but it's still quite mobile uphill.

The mobility just isn't anything special, enough to get you to some spots and allow you to catch up to superheavies, but chasing down mediums is done by cutting them off rather than chase them down. It's also good enough to flank, but don't get caught out of cover because: reverse speed of 12km/h. That doesn't seem like it's very game breaking, but it is. The single biggest nerf done to the hellcat was giving it the same reverse speed as the T57 heavy has. To put it into perspective, a T95 will outrun a T57 heavy driving backwards.

The side and rear armor is mostly worthless and hardly useful. It also appears that it can't sidescrape as I see on tanks.gg, but I don't know I never sidescrape. If you want to put out a clip you'll often have to get in someone's face rather than sidescrape.

The reverse speed is what's going to get you punished over and over again until you learn not to stray to far from cover unless you can drive into it forwards. This tank does 1 thing and 1 thing only, go forwards.

The gun

+ Highest base DPM on a heavy by quite a stretch

+ 2s inter clip reload

- Bloom values close to those of the KV-2

- 36 shells

The gun is the major strong point and major weakness of the tank. While it has a 4 shot autoloader with very respectable clip damage and DPM that makes the TVP look balanced, it is also really bad at hitting targets downrange. The accuracy isn't all that great, but the long aim time on top of the atrocious bloom values make you give the A team a run for their money on missing shots. Brawl, brawl, brawl. If you try and snipe the gun will troll you mercilessly and you won't be able to take full advantage of your autoloader. Not only that, but 36 shells make missed really punishing. It is not all that uncommon to run out of ammo on this tank.

The base pen of 258 can also make some tanks tough nuts to crack, since the gun isn't really suited for aiming at weakspots, so you shouldn't be afraid to load a few HEAT clips. Though AP clips remain incredibly useful, since you can track someone and pen him with the remaining 3 shots as well. Having 2 incomplete clips in this tank will happen, but the reload isn't all that long so not all is lost.

Where this tank excels is close range brawls where you can just keep putting 4 rounds downrange on occupied enemies' sides and back off to reload. Penning 2 entire clips will already give you 3.2k damage and penning 3 every game WILL give you 3 marks. Finding a lone T8 in this tank just makes you feel like you are kicking a puppy to death.

Because of your gun depression you can quite comfortably work ridges to hide your hull and give you a better chance of aiming your shots and putting out an entire clip without taking punishment. Therefore you should either support one of your heavier teammates or instead bully mediums on ridgebrawls like the C1 square on Serene Coast. Just as long as you pick your fights correctly this gun will be amazing. But if you end up having to snipe a lot you'll be wishing for a 50b.

Spoiler

Conclusion

This is a really competent tank as long as you keep reminding yourself to stay near teammates, not to snipe and make sure you don't need to back up too far. Every once in a while RNG will throw you a curveball and insist that you shoot that evil dirt, but then you delete 2 tier 8s out of the game and it's all good. Just make sure to go for certain shots and try to avoid situations where you need to snap and you are golden. Also, because of the short reload it can be really useful to play a mindgame of how many shots you have. Don't be afraid to put out 2 shots, start a reload but keep acting like you want to poke. It keeps enemies at bay while you just reload a full clip for when they decide to rush.

When engaging a T57 heavy you should always ask yourself if you feel lucky, punk.

FAQ:

-T69 or T49?

I'd say the light line is better since the only "poor" tank in that line is the T49 and it's hilarious anyway. Bulldog beats T71 by miles imo and the T37 sees CW/SH usage.

-T57 or 50b

Probably a bit biased here, but the T57 gets my approval. 50b just gets this giant "focus me now" marker in my experience while the T57 can more reliably put clips downrange. Though I do have to admit that the 50b is objectively superior on open maps like Prokhorovka.

-Worth the grind?

Rebalancing an IS3 in 6s every 20s not enough convincing enough?

Edited by milki30, 03 October 2016 - 11:54 PM.

IamAimingAtYou #2 Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:00 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 33332 battles

As for equipment and ammo loadout, I run this:

Spoiler

Running Vstab, vents and GLD to get the most out of the DPM and improve the gun handling as much as possible. If you don't run food this will mean that you don't have max viewrange, though this will hardly ever be a problem as you shouldn't be shooting at those ranges if you can help it anyway. Might make you miss out on a bit of spotting, but as a heavy tank that shouldn't be your main concern.

Running a small repair/medkit because I'm cheap. Running food because I'm not. Large repairkit can be recommended for the extra track repair alone, but with the added bonus of not having to chose between ammorack or tracks. Food is highly recommended, since you need all the aim buffs you can get. It doesn't get set on fire that much and if it does, it's usually in the sides. At which point the fatal flaw was showing your sides over not running a fire extinguisher.

Main picks for skills are BIA, repairs and sixth sense. Camo is incredibly useless on this tank and is only on it because this used to be my T37 crew and I haven't bothered to retrain it since the loader has no useful skills anyway. Repairs is really needed since the track repairtime takes ages without. Deadeye is also quite useful, since you can aim 4 shots on the same spots in a row with an added chance of crits and you shouldn't shoot HE anyway.

Ammo load out of 20/16/0 is because of the low shell count and I don't want to spend any shells bouncing if I can at all help it.

Edited by milki30, 04 October 2016 - 10:30 PM.

God0fwar300 #3 Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22708 battles
  • [R3BEL] R3BEL

Cool!

Do you have any advice on how to use this tank on Malinovka and Prohorovka when there are triple arties on each team? Especially when there is a super camp on each team due to triple arties. On Malinovka, when your whole team is camping, do you go to the mill alone? On Prohorovka, where do you go with the T57 Heavy when there is triple arty?

Greetings!

edit: I see you have a clip of HE, is there a reason for it? To detrack or for arties? How often do you run out of ammo?

Edited by Y_O_L_0, 03 October 2016 - 08:05 PM.

IamAimingAtYou #4 Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:59 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33332 battles

View PostY_O_L_0, on 03 October 2016 - 06:58 PM, said:

Cool!

Do you have any advice on how to use this tank on Malinovka and Prohorovka when there are triple arties on each team? Especially when there is a super camp on each team due to triple arties. On Malinovka, when your whole team is camping, do you go to the mill alone? On Prohorovka, where do you go with the T57 Heavy when there is triple arty?

Greetings!

edit: I see you have a clip of HE, is there a reason for it? To detrack or for arties? How often do you run out of ammo?

Roll over and die.

And no I don't run any HE. The tank doesn't have the shell capacity to pull it off.

Spoiler

Edited by milki30, 03 October 2016 - 11:08 PM.

God0fwar300 #5 Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22708 battles
  • [R3BEL] R3BEL
Thanks for the info! Appreciate it!

The_Georgian_One #6 Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:51 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40578 battles
  • [JTS] JTS

Well written guide Milki. I'd add one thing, though probably obvious for any autoloader player - always go for the tracking shot. Always. And wait until they repair until you shoot for the 2nd time.

And one more thing - this tank snaps shots surprisingly well* though you obviously should avoid that to use full clip potential.

*Murica TM

Edited by The_Georgian_One, 07 October 2016 - 03:51 PM.

Obsessive_Compulsive #7 Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:28 PM

General

• Player
  • 28747 battles

nice. good on you for posting this. and the others.

however... if the guides about 3 marking it  might be worthwile to actually cover how to go about getting the 3 marks gameplay wise.. a replay or 2? some info about sticking with another tank so you can leech thier hp...

because lets face it its a vulture tank and allies are your meatshields.

maybe you will add some gameplay tips?

IamAimingAtYou #8 Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33332 battles

View PostConor_Notorious_McGregor, on 07 October 2016 - 04:28 PM, said:

nice. good on you for posting this. and the others.

however... if the guides about 3 marking it  might be worthwile to actually cover how to go about getting the 3 marks gameplay wise.. a replay or 2? some info about sticking with another tank so you can leech thier hp...

because lets face it its a vulture tank and allies are your meatshields.

maybe you will add some gameplay tips?

More of a guide from the eyes of a 3-marker, not a guide on how to 3-mark it. Personally I don't know any "tricks" to getting 3-marks other than maybe splurging on prem consumables and load more gold, but then most people at t10 do so regardless.

Might add some gameplay tips eventually, but I think I covered some of the useful ones here and there.

Obsessive_Compulsive #9 Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:01 PM

General

• Player
  • 28747 battles

View Postmilki30, on 07 October 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

More of a guide from the eyes of a 3-marker, not a guide on how to 3-mark it. Personally I don't know any "tricks" to getting 3-marks other than maybe splurging on prem consumables and load more gold, but then most people at t10 do so regardless.

Might add some gameplay tips eventually, but I think I covered some of the useful ones here and there.

I feel mislead..:(

IamAimingAtYou #10 Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:06 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33332 battles

View PostConor_Notorious_McGregor, on 07 October 2016 - 05:01 PM, said:

I feel mislead..:(

Spoiler

Obsessive_Compulsive #11 Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:23 PM

General

• Player
  • 28747 battles

View Postmilki30, on 07 October 2016 - 06:06 PM, said:

Spoiler

oh yeah... Ill go write a decent guide to the t57 then.:trollface:

Exozen #12 Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31671 battles

I 3 marked it last week with the first try , went from 90-95 in 6 games , avaraged 6.5k-7k dmg over these games hence why i found it to be easy. T57 is just so darn easy to farm damage in if you play passive in the beginning of the game , stay behinde the other heavys for the first 2-3 min and snipe and then just plow true.

I have a very simulair setup on mine lnc more or less same crewskills and %. But i run double repair kits and only 12 heat, since tracking damage is usually the way to go for 3-marks , HEAT would really only be needed on E5's and E-100's hulldown.

Edited by Exozen, 08 October 2016 - 11:11 AM.

alienslive #13 Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:44 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 98283 battles
  • [PEERS] PEERS

View PostExozen, on 08 October 2016 - 10:02 AM, said:

I 3 marked it last week with the first try , went from 90-95 in 6 games , avaraged 6.5k-7k dmg over these games hence why i found it to be easy. T57 is just so darn easy to farm damage in if you play passive in the beginning of the game , stay behinde the other heavys for the first 2-3 min and snipe and then just plow true.

I have a very simulair setup on mine lnc more or less same crewskills and %. But i run double repair kits and only 12 heat, since tracking damage is usually the way to go for 3-marks , HEAT would really only be needed on E5's and E-100's hulldown.

I started to play again with this tank (it was maybe the 2nd or 3rd t10 in my garage).
Avg. dmg nowdays 5k but i feel it is not enough for 3rd moe. I also use only 12 HEAT and 2 repair kit because the ammo rack and the low reverse speed when i want to go back to cover. 
I feel that the turret armor had a little buff in HD model.

IamAimingAtYou #14 Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:08 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33332 battles

View Postalienslive, on 19 October 2016 - 09:44 AM, said:

I started to play again with this tank (it was maybe the 2nd or 3rd t10 in my garage).
Avg. dmg nowdays 5k but i feel it is not enough for 3rd moe. I also use only 12 HEAT and 2 repair kit because the ammo rack and the low reverse speed when i want to go back to cover. 
I feel that the turret armor had a little buff in HD model.

I did it before it got top of tree and I think I only needed about 12 games of 4.8k average and some spotting to get from 91 to 95%. In terms of T10 3-marks this was probably the easiest one in raw damage, especially considering how good the tank is to how low the standards are(were?). Don't have much trouble keeping up 95% or higher, so I think it didn't go up that much, so 5k average should net you the 3MoE eventually.

Sharpe #15 Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 21557 battles

I lolled. Agree on everything + ur writing style his just as the T49 : I love it when it hits the point. Also hilarious.

Feel free to write other reviews.

popsasa #16 Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 4731 battles
  • [L7] L7

Thank you man but i need to know should i buy camo for this tank??

MrClark56 #17 Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

Major

• Player
  • 6892 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Very nice read, im happily grinding towards it, since i started game... its been a few years already lol.

Being my target T10, i hope it will be worth the grind. alhough i will need to up my skills to ever have some Marks on it.

Still nice review and tips..

Anything similar on the T54e1?

ijskast #18 Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:48 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 25321 battles

Cant help but hate this tank. You are really at the mercy of the RNG. You cant reliable hit weak spots at 20m using full auto. You might even miss entire tanks at 30meters. But if RNG does work with you will blow anything out of the water.

The T54e1 more suits my gameplay. The main problem is the T57 doesn't have a reverse, it can only go forward.

HunterXHunter8 #19 Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:10 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35416 battles

View Postijskast, on 17 December 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

Cant help but hate this tank. You are really at the mercy of the RNG. You cant reliable hit weak spots at 20m using full auto. You might even miss entire tanks at 30meters. But if RNG does work with you will blow anything out of the water.

The T54e1 more suits my gameplay. The main problem is the T57 doesn't have a reverse, it can only go forward.

you're doing it wrong

in the current meta of heavily armored heavies and tds, t57 thrives. it has a super balanced 340mm  heat rounds, use them to puke out 1600 damage on anyone dumb enough to fight you alone. 

Hyina #20 Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:10 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 54734 battles

No idea where to post this, tried looking under Replays but seems to be entire threads of 1 person posting etc. Then tried to look for T57 thread but none recently that I know of. Admins feel free to move if you feel it does not belong, but objectively I think if you wanna 3 mark a t57 you want to do this:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4291182

12k dam with a nice Fadin's at the end. :)

EDIT: replay says error 500... lol will try to sort it out

Edited by Hyina, 12 April 2018 - 04:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users