Dragon's Ridge

old maps maps dragon ridge new life republishment

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Tidal_Force #21 Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16000 battles
Dragon's Ridge was bad. I'm glad it's gone.

Hedgehog1963 #22 Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:02 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 47790 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY

View Postraymond570, on 04 October 2016 - 06:33 PM, said:

I would love to laugh at that, maybe make it only for tier 5 or higher?

Thinking what I could pull off in my MT25...

Edited by Hedgehog1963, 04 October 2016 - 09:09 PM.

raymond570 #23 Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:16 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11265 battles
  • [NLBE5] NLBE5

View PostHedgehog1963, on 04 October 2016 - 08:02 PM, said:

Thinking what I could pull off in my MT25...

THAT WOULD BE SOOOO AWESOME!! WANNA SEE IT!

malachi6 #24 Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

Major

• Player
  • 45718 battles

Many of the older maps were fun but broken.  I enjoyed QB's lost maps video for the nostalgia.

https://www.youtube....h?v=HLBF_xIAvNw

Bulldog_Drummond #25 Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:27 PM

General

• Player
  • 24845 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postarthurwellsley, on 04 October 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

The medium flank corridors were quite long and hilly, and so mediums with no gun depression suffered. Alot.

The middle heavy brawling area was very unbalanced in favour of one spawn, and probably this is why the map was pulled out, as WG can analyse the statistics for a huge number of battles and see that one spawn has an advantage. Trying to solve that issue is probably beyond the map.

Having said all of the above, I certainly enjoyed the architecture and the foliage which was markedly different from the other maps presently in the rotation. I am in favour of WG implementing an Asian flavoured map (buildings, rice fields, terraced fields, bamboo and foliage etc), but I am not sure Dragon's Ridge is saveable. Might need a whole new concept.

I would suggest either the glorious Soviet victory over the Imperial Japanese army at Battles of Khalkhin Gol or The South Vietnamese victory over the North Vietnamese (with a little assistance in the delieverance of democracy from the yanks) at Battle of An Lộc. Either area would make for a good Asian map, and Battles of Khalkhin Gol have the added advantage, that after initial Japanese successes, the Soviets decided to re-habilitate a commander who had fallen out of favour and appointed a new corps commander Comcor Georgy Zhukov, who was so successful he was later returned to the european front for the defence of Moscow.

I would like to see a map based on the Battle of the Tennis Court (during Imphal-Kohima).

Slyspy #26 Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 13837 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I say good riddance to bad rubbish. The fighting on Dragons Ridge was confined to one postage stamp plateau and, later, also to one gully which was like shooting fish in a barrel. 

Edited by Slyspy, 05 October 2016 - 07:04 PM.

Pansenmann #27 Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:37 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31790 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postraymond570, on 04 October 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

Hi,

I really liked Dragon's Ridge back when it still was available, but that has been a really long time ago.

So my question is; isn't it possible for WG/WoT to get that map a new body and republish that map to World of Tanks?

I would really like that map back in the MM again, it will bring back so many good memories for many people and it will also bring some variation back in the MM.

That's what I think, hope you guys think the same! (And i'm almost 100% certain that i'm not the only one that liked the map and would love to see it back!).

Goodbye and see you on the battlefield!

raymond570

P.S.  I would love to know if you have ideas of any way to reach people like you and me, please give them a good reason to get the map back by sharing/liking/reacting and whatever you can think of.

EDIT:

I also made a survey:

https://goo.gl/forms/KhXAeWcuBbMbhCtN2

When this topic is going to slow down I will send the results to WG.

I totally support your crusade.

I want Dragon Ridge back! :izmena:

_Sentinel_ #28 Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:44 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11973 battles
crapmap.

wims80 #29 Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:05 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10249 battles
The problem with Dragons Ridge was that all the scrubs went valley and it turned into a campfest. Apparently they didn't realize that whoever controls the town in the middle of the map wins the game. It should have been obvious, the town was in the middle of the map and it was the highest point of the map as well. Whoever controlled the town could easily flex and defend / attack the flanks. But the average WoT player is for some reason attracted to valleys. The map might have been imbalanced as well, but we rarely saw that imbalance due to people never fighting for the key point of the map. Just world of tanks things I guess

Edited by wims80, 06 October 2016 - 01:06 AM.

raymond570 #30 Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:34 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11265 battles
  • [NLBE5] NLBE5

View Postwims80, on 06 October 2016 - 12:05 AM, said:

The problem with Dragons Ridge was that all the scrubs went valley and it turned into a campfest. Apparently they didn't realize that whoever controls the town in the middle of the map wins the game. It should have been obvious, the town was in the middle of the map and it was the highest point of the map as well. Whoever controlled the town could easily flex and defend / attack the flanks. But the average WoT player is for some reason attracted to valleys. The map might have been imbalanced as well, but we rarely saw that imbalance due to people never fighting for the key point of the map. Just world of tanks things I guess

I wished you where totally right, but... many times I (and my whole team) got overrushed while all being at the city. and yes, I was (probably still are) noob. but that doesn't change the fact that it was quiet a funny map.

mrtvimarijan #31 Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34569 battles
  • [PXA] PXA
Making a balanced and non-corridor map... just one new map per year... I think that is too much for wg

Exozen #32 Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29275 battles
Yes to a new reworked / rebalanced version. Also make Pearl river happen again WG !

tankmartijn1 #33 Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 6381 battles
  • [NLBE5] NLBE5

dragons ridge moet terug komen mooie map en goed balenced.

de computers zijn nu ook beter dus kunnen ze de map ook beter aan

Klavertje007 #34 Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:39 PM

Private

• Player
  • 85602 battles
  • [VENGE] VENGE

It isn't only Dragon Ridge that is missed....

Reinstall the real players maps:

1. Dragon Ridge
  2. Severogorsk (the last version)
  3. Komarin (the last version)
  4. South Coast
  5. North West (the last version)
  6. Pearl River (the last version)
  7. Harbour

And pls, delete the corridor maps, especially Mines.... it is a first class mickey mouse map in the tiers from 4 on....

Balc0ra #35 Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:04 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 58179 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

This map was removed since 99% of the players used the 9 line valley or the 8 line high ground only. And then you had that one medium that went the 1 line to farm flank damage on the blind HT's. That was more or less 9 out 10 games on that map. Got so many free ace badges in mediums and light on that map due to it. They could not balance it to make people use more then 20% of the map. Sadly that's how all the Chinese themed maps were. The HT area was used by 29 players on the map constantly on all of them. They need to flatten the 1 to 7 line to make that more interesting.

View PostKlavertje007, on 26 February 2017 - 09:39 PM, said:

It isn't only Dragon Ridge that is missed....

Reinstall the real players maps:

1. Dragon Ridge
  2. Severogorsk (the last version)
  3. Komarin (the last version)
  4. South Coast
  5. North West (the last version)
  6. Pearl River (the last version)
  7. Harbour

And pls, delete the corridor maps, especially Mines.... it is a first class mickey mouse map in the tiers from 4 on....

I'm gonna be honest. I don't miss anyone of them. Maps were not badly designed. Just played wrong by just about everyone. And when most matches are that boring and predicable. No point having the map tbh.

South coast they could not get anyone to leave the base or hill on neither side. So that was the worst camping map of them all. But good for spotting missions

North West no one ever used the middle. Everyone when the A or the 1 line as mediums, TD's and lights. And then HT's went the 8 line area. Predictable and boring.

Pearl River could work if they did open the middle up more. As that is more or less mines in disguise. And thus mostly uninteresting and predictable as HT's went one lane. Rest went along the red line. 

Komarin is the worst of them all. They removed the forests that E100 loved to camp in. And that only made 90% of the teams go to the middle island instead. So again it's a mines in disguise. Win the middle, win the map.

Severogorsk worked fine on the first version. The last version was terrible as it was the best lemming race map of them all. One team did send everything to the 2 lane, the other to the 8 lane. The team that won on their lane first won, as then they could flank the other team. That or everyone when the middle in the dry river to yolo fail.

Harbour, or Port was not removed due to bad teams or the way we played it. But due to new mechanics. Console made a workable rework of it. So that I do want back.

So if you hate mines. I don't get why you want some of the older maps back, as most work in the same way and fail's at much of the same aspects as a tier X game on mines do.

ThorgrimBrenadim #36 Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:41 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 23429 battles

The simple fact is these maps will not play the same now. tanks have changed enough but the main reason we have different game formats. That mean one side have to attack or they loose so why WG will not try these maps out for these games is crazy. What is the worst that can happen people still think there are issues but hey they get more map variety at least, after all is it not worse to play the same game type same map same start 3 or more games on the trot or within 5-6 games?

STLR #37 Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:33 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28275 battles
YEs i want Dragon Ridge !! :))

WunderWurst #38 Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:46 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 63766 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostHomer_J, on 04 October 2016 - 03:46 PM, said:

Vote: no, terrible map.  Fighting took place in two grid squares, the rest was pointless.

Exactly. I was not a good map. You have not played that map for 3 or even 4 years now so dont complain since you have no diea about it any more.

Well current map design is not much better, a lot of the maps have the same flaw, and even worse they have various other flaws on top but that map was stupid.

Spek_en_Bonen #39 Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:58 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 29632 battles

We don't need one of the worst maps back in the game

"Editting" or "adjusting" isn't going to make it playable.

pretty incredible what WG thinks is viable terrain for tank action...

They forgot that tanks and altitude difference don't really mix (tanks are terrible climbers in reality)

The same way as urban area's are not suitable for tank action.

But since this is tank vs tank, who cares about realitic settings....

Edited by Spek_en_Bonen, 27 February 2017 - 09:59 AM.

RamRaid90 #40 Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:47 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 17411 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

View PostHomer_J, on 04 October 2016 - 02:46 PM, said:

Vote: no, terrible map.  Fighting took place in two grid squares, the rest was pointless.

As opposed to what we have now? The fighting on almost all maps takes place on 2/3 grid squares. There is no room for flexibility.

Almost all maps consist of:

• 15% choke points either side of;
  • 5% corridor
  • 30% open terrain which is almost completely unusable thanks to "working as intended™" arty and high alpha base camping TDs
  • 50% impassible terrain.

The ones which don't have this design feature one of two things:

• 100% open terrain with no place to hide from the guaranteed 2-4 arty that are there.
  • 100% corridors with zero flexibility what-so-ever making 3 out of the 5 classes (and to a certain extent a fourth class too) obsolete.

Edits: Typos

Edited by RamRaid90, 27 February 2017 - 10:52 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users