STRV m/42-57 in need of a buff?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: STRV m/42-57 in need of a buff? (29 members have cast votes)

Is the STRV m/42-57 underpowered ?

1. YES (21 votes [72.41%])

Percentage of vote: 72.41%

2. NO (8 votes [27.59%])

Percentage of vote: 27.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

El_Genosse #1 Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:17 AM

Private

• Player
  • 19233 battles

Hi Gentleman,

just to get this out of the way, I am not one to spam the forum with complaints on how bad this or that tank is. In fact, this is my first or second post ever. So please, keep your "Stop whining you little baby" comments to a minimum. 

I bought my posh new Swedish medium 2 days ago and played it quite a bit (mostly in stronghold thou) and I have to say that it under performs compared to most of the other tier 6 premiums ( I also have a Cromwell B, a Rudy, a Skoda T40 and I played through the Skoda T25).

The STRV, compared to all the others has first and foremost, by far THE worst DPM. 1690 is even 200 less then the Rudy, but tbh, nothing one wouldnt expect from an autoloader ( even thou it has double the reload of the T25 for only 1 shell more). The thing that kicks it in the face is the 2 second reload between shots. The Skoda T25 has the same caliber gun and reloads 0.77 seconds faster. 

The STRV has absolutely horrible mobility, which makes it hard to do the medium job, get into position and flank, scout when bottom tier. The power to weight ratio is with 13.41 barely better then the T150 or the KV85s and worse then the ARL44s. The top-speed is also rather limiting, but the bigger problem is actually reaching that top-speed.

The armour is non-existent and the hp are quite low, no surprise here, but what seems to be a problem (at least for me) is module damage, the engine only has 100hp, meaning that you will lose your engine often, very often, turret, gun and crew members die like flies in the oven once you get shot at. 

The view range is bad, but not terrible. The signal range is absolutely abysmal thou. 400m is a fraction better then the Mark III medium on tier 3. absolutely useless. I have no idea what radio they are using, probably a network of can phones. In combination with the bad maneuverability, makes this tank a little frustrating to play.

I could easily deal with all these issues alone, but the combination of them really makes the STRV a frustrating machine and in my opinion its not competitive compared to any of the other tier 6 prems. The most limiting factor by far is the engine power. If WG could buff that to 15 or 16 hp/t (thats about the level of the Rudy, also no Ferrari, but usable) that would definitely improve the performance of the tank. Also, they could reduce the delay between shots by 0.5 secs and adding 1.5 seconds to the clip reload time (thus keeping the DPM the same) could also be a good idea. Just any sort of buff would be a good idea. I had/have really high hopes for the Swedish tanks, and dont get me wrong, the STRV can be quit fun to play, but so far its (in my personal and subjective opinion) the worst tier 6 premium they ever introduced to the game and due to the bad signal range and speed, this tank extremely suffers in tier 8 matches, way more then any of the others. 

If you read this far, thank you  !

Edited by El_Genosse, 08 October 2016 - 07:27 AM.

BP_OMowe #2 Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:48 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21790 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

You have to realise that the Stridsvagn 74 was an interim solution, prolonging the lifespan of the already outdated m/42 hulls. It never was a top-of-the-line type of tank, and the ingame stats should reflect that.

There are two points where I do agree the tank being far worse than it should be, and that is

• engine hitpoints. The dual engines was far more reliable than currently is the case, since even if one failed the other could keep the tank in action.
  • The signal range should also be improved.

Gunner777_1 #3 Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 30291 battles
  • [KTTP] KTTP

Hi Guys,

I agree with all of the above post on this Swedish med tank and like EL-Genose I don't normally post but I feel I have too, The only way I can get any success in this tank is to have Binos, Coated optics, gunlaying drive. This way I play very passive all game just sniping from the back of the map and when my team gets tank advantage near the end of the game I move up to finish tanks off. In 30 games played I have good win8 but very bad win rate at 30% which says something. I only keeping this tank to train a crew in hope that when the full Swedish line comes out they might be tank that is worth playing. In short its bad tank which needs a huge buff to be able to play for fun

BP_OMowe #4 Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21790 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-
If you need a huge buff, this tank is simply not your cup of tea.

Homer_J #5 Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25586 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

You had me on board until you compared it with the OP Bromwell and Rudy.

How about comparing with T-34-85M, or PzIVS

In fact, has anyone seen either of those in battle lately?

El_Genosse #6 Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19233 battles
Yeah well, that the Cromwell B is OP is nothing new, I didnt compare it to it, I just mentioned that I have it to illustrate that I have some other tier 6 prems as well. Well, the T34-85M is quite rare and I can see some Schmalturms now and then, its also not sold in the shop since a while so quit rare. Also, these tanks are quit old, so obviously powercreep has taken its toll on them. The newly introduced tanks on the other side should at least be comparable to the other new-ish tier 6 premiums. Furthermore, realism is not something WG generally puts too much consideration into considering the Japanese super heavies (which none of would be able to drive, despite actually going through terrain and fighting), the GWE100/WTE100/JagdE100 (which none of even existed in blueprints) or the way artillery works with targeting single tanks ( no, this is no invitation to start the old arty debate, I am just saying that its unrealistic and unhistorical, nothing more) 

Edited by El_Genosse, 10 October 2016 - 07:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users