knighthood honour dambuster

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Flustered_Ferret #1 Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 1357 battles

Hi Folks,

Just came across an interesting article on Yahoo. Carol Vorderman has launched a petition to have the last surviving member of RAF 617 Squadron (commonly known as the Dambusters for their raids on Germany's industrial heartland during WWII) awarded a knighthood.

I think his service (and that of his many fallen comrades) deserves recognition. Far more than say, Victoria Beckham, who was made a Dame in the Queen's Honours' List this year, (presumably for her services as an expensive clothes horse?). :rolleyes:

George "Johnny" Johnson didn't just serve his country with distinction during the war, but has devoted a large part of his life since, to charity work. See link below for more details.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/carol-vorderman-demands-knighthood-last-191337099.html

There is a copy of her Twitter message, with a link to the petition on Change.org. I've signed it and I hope some of you guys will too. Its currently about a third of the way to the 150,000 signature needed (not bad in the 2 days since it was launched).

I know there are quite a few serving and ex-armed forces folks on here and hope you will agree this man deserves honouring far more than the usual actors, musicians and sports personalities who usually grab the headlines.

Edited by Flustered_Ferret, 05 January 2017 - 02:56 PM.

Also tagged with knighthood, honour, dambuster

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users