Gaming PC/Laptop Help from WoT community

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

hedi2222 #1 Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 29170 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Hello everyone ! Soon-ish i'm going to be buying a new Computer , whether its a laptop or a desktop , i still haven't decided , and thats why i'm here. Can't think of anyone better that my most played game's community to help me. 

I want to play video games , but few problems stand between me and making a clear choice 
Those problems are : Gaming laptops are so expensive , and underperforming when i'm limited to 600 euros , but i want to comfortably play games. But then again, i'm a future programmer and a current Computer-science student which means i'll need my laptop for my studies. But again, buying a budget gaming desktop would mean i'd have to buy all the extra  accessories such as the screen and the fancy keyboard yada yada. which makes it exceed the budget if i was to get something remotely acceptable 

All in all,  i feel really let down by the performance of the 950M , which is the only card you can find in laptops under 850 euros here. i'm currently looking at the ASUS X550VX

So my question is : What should i go with ? Laptop or desktop ? and is the 950M okayish for mid to low end gaming ? ( we all know i'll be playing tanks 90% of the time anyway ) and does laptop brand matter ? I.E Asus vs Acer ?

Tony_EU #2 Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:56 AM

Major

• Player
  • 50 battles
  • [RASHA] RASHA

View Posthedi2222, on 09 January 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

feel free to give your opinions regarding my issue here : http://forum.worldof...-wot-community/

I say that with 600€ budget you have to go for a desktop.  A budget gaming laptop is going to grow outdated rather quickly and with 600€ budget(or anything below 1000€ tbh) you will usually receive a graphics card or processor that already struggles with newer games. It's just not worth it. A 600€ budget desktop will run everything out there fairly well and still works reasonably well for a few years. The good thing about desktops is also that you can realistically upgrade them unlike laptops. You can save a lot in keyboard, screen and potentially mouse. If you can't afford a proper screen just get one that works for a few months and save for one afterwards.

I am using an ancient screen that's probably around 10 years old but it doesn't prevent me from playing WoT with 100+ FPS. Screen is a component where you can save easily. Obviously a good screen is helps but with 600€ budget you have to make cuts somewhere and this is probably the least harmful place for that.

My keyboard is a Logitech Y-SM48 which I bought for 8€. It's an "oldschool potato keyboard" and I replaced an expensive USB one with it simply because it's better. Especially the response time with PS2 keyboards is better(based on my experience anyway) than what the overpriced USB turds with fancy lighting offer. These oldschool PS2 slot keyboards offer you really good basic functionality. They may lack sound bars, lighting and so forth but their performance is unquestionably very good.

My mouse is a Cooler Master Reaper which cost me around 80€. I love it but you can also get a mouse for less than that. It's also worth keeping in mind that a mouse is something you'll need for a laptop as well and does not speak against a desktop.

jrnc #3 Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

Private

• Player
  • 24162 battles
  • [-SNR-] -SNR-

From my experience, the attachment of the screen to the rest of the laptop, is bad for Asus (in other words: hardware issues). I have friends w/ another model of asus facing the same problem. But i'm talking about laptops made 5 years ago, so take that in account.

Panocek #4 Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29042 battles

For limited budget gaming I'd aim for desktop. And for mobility - if you want to do stuff on the move, then notebook/laptop/netbook are needed (maybe tablet, but I don't see it working for programming). BUT, if you simply want something not involving car to move around, then mini ITX based PC is your option? You can build interesting PC in small package that in emergency can be carried around in backpack. Display and peripherals are an issue.

Performance wise, it depends on what resolution you want to play. For HD and below you can get reasonably priced stuff, but above that and price tags increase faster than amount of pixels in display.

You don't need fancy keyboard/mouse for "gaming", you need working ones. And these (usually) can be bought cheaper.

Random thought - get cheap-but-not-shitty netbook and some time later buy/build desktop?

Edited by Panocek, 09 January 2017 - 12:13 PM.

hedi2222 #5 Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:48 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 29170 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
My other issue is going to college as well where I'm required to take my PC with me both away from home and to college. Plus you can't take a desktop with you abroad or on a flight...

Beltalowda #6 Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 59899 battles
damn it, I am not going to write this again, sorry dont know what happened but it all disappeared

Edited by TrewSx, 09 January 2017 - 02:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users