splashes.

Does the horrendous accuracy of the SU-122A actually improve once the

crew hits 100% and does installing any upgrades help to make it a viable

and somewhat competitive artillery piece? Or is it just another training step

on the Russian artillery line that's only there for the sake of prolonging the

progression? I really need to know so I can make up my mind whether to

keep struggling with the damn thing or to drop it like a rock to the bottom

of the ocean...

Edited by ArgentHellion, 22 January 2017 - 02:04 AM.

HeidenSieker #2 Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:13 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostArgentHellion, on 22 January 2017 - 01:51 AM, said:

Does the horrendous accuracy of the SU-122A actually improve once the crew hits 100% and does installing any upgrades help to make it a viable and somewhat competitive artillery piece? Or is it just another training step on the Russian artillery line that's only there for the sake of prolonging the progression? I really need to know so I can make up my mind whether to keep struggling with the damn thing or to drop it like a rock to the bottom of the ocean...

Dunno. What % is your crew right now? BIA, vents, rammer will make some difference I'm sure. Try the Bishop.... same goes, but I think it's prefereble. YMMV.

Edited by HeidenSieker, 22 January 2017 - 03:14 AM.

ArgentHellion #3 Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8645 battles

View PostHeidenSieker, on 22 January 2017 - 03:13 AM, said:

Dunno. What % is your crew right now? BIA, vents, rammer will make some difference I'm sure. Try the Bishop.... same goes, but I think it's prefereble. YMMV.

I already have several elite artillery pieces, FV304 and CrusaderSP in particular

are close to developing their 2nd set of perks. Also bought the Bishop again but

the crew hasn't reached 100% yet, so it's still a bit dodgy but it's notably improving.

As for the SU-122A, the crew is currently on 85% and their performance is pretty

much the same as it was on 50% ... it's rather infuriating...

If this machine cannot be improved to perform at least somewhat reliably, I'm

honestly thinking about scrapping it in favor of the Grille to cover my tier5 artillery

garage slot...

Edited by ArgentHellion, 22 January 2017 - 11:07 AM.

Darth_Clicker #4 Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57950 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostArgentHellion, on 22 January 2017 - 01:51 AM, said:

Someone actually managed to convince me that the SU-122A is the

tier5 artillery to play, but the more I play it the more I get the feeling

I've been duped.

So far I've only played about 50 games with the damn thing and I'm

honestly thinking about scrapping it. Yes the damage potential is there, 

but what's the point of having a devastating shell when you're unable

to reliably hit pretty much anything? So far it's nothing but genuine roulette,

doesn't matter if I fully aim the shot or not, the shell almost NEVER goes

to the spot I aim for, most of my damage I do with this thing comes from

splashes.

Does the horrendous accuracy of the SU-122A actually improve once the

crew hits 100% and does installing any upgrades help to make it a viable

and somewhat competitive artillery piece? Or is it just another training step

on the Russian artillery line that's only there for the sake of prolonging the

progression? I really need to know so I can make up my mind whether to

keep struggling with the damn thing or to drop it like a rock to the bottom

of the ocean...

Normally, I have a 100% crew working on their 4th skill in my Su-122a.  With BIA and extra rations, my accuracy is 0.76.  Without extra rations it is 0.80.  If I put a 75% gunner in the crew, I lose BIA and with the lower training level the accuracy drops to 0.91.  With a 50% gunner the accuracy is 1.03.

Now, is the su-122a worth keeping?  I have it in my garage, and I enjoy playing it from time to time.  You have to get a little closer to your targets to make up for the accuracy.  But, when it hits....it hits hard.

I have all tier 5 artys in my garage currently and here are my statistics to compare.  I do play all 5 at least a few games per week.  And some a play several every day.  Below are my stats in each including how many Marks of Excellence I have on each for comparison and also to verify that I am somewhat competent in playing them.

Arty                       Battles                    avg damage / max damage          avg xp per battle            M.O.E.

Su-122a                   807                                  549 / 3573                                      365                               2

Grille                        1942                                763 / 3331                                      510                               3

Lefh18B2                 1930                                753 / 2563                                      582                               1

AMX 13 105 AM        441                                  588 / 2436                                      441                              3          

Bishop                     1117                                 771 / 1725                                      556                               2

Note:  I use premium ammo predominately on both the Grille and AMX 13 105 AM.  I don't normally use any food etc on any of these.  Except for a short time in my run to the 3rd M.O.E. on the Grille and AMX

In the end, the SU-122a is a feast or famine arty.  Everything about playing it is to an extreme.  You can have a terrible battle where your shells will not even hit the ground delivering a very low amount of damage leaving you frustrated and then the next battle you do more damage than the rest of the team combined.  It can basically one shot everything on the battlefield....if it hits it.  Like I said previously, you have to be brave and move in closer to the front line to decrease the rng effect.

It would be my last tier 5 to buy if I were grinding all lines over again.  The only reason I have it now is that I have the crew for it and there are not really any other artys that I want from the Soviet line at the moment.

Edit:  There were several hours between my beginning and ending this post.  In the meantime, you replied concerning having the Grille instead of the SU-122A.  There is absolutely no comparison between the Grille and the SU.  The Grille is much better.  No contest.  The Grille is on some days the best tier 5 in my opinion.  Especially when using HEAT if you can afford it on high hitpoint targets.  HE on everything else.

Edited by Darth_Clicker, 22 January 2017 - 05:15 PM.

ArgentHellion #5 Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:18 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8645 battles

View PostDarth_Clicker, on 22 January 2017 - 05:11 PM, said:

In the end, the SU-122a is a feast or famine arty.  Everything about playing it is to an extreme.  You can have a terrible battle where your shells will not even hit the ground delivering a very low amount of damage leaving you frustrated and then the next battle you do more damage than the rest of the team combined.  It can basically one shot everything on the battlefield....if it hits it.  Like I said previously, you have to be brave and move in closer to the front line to decrease the rng effect.

Well, being brave is one thing, but proceeding to repeatedly commit suicide is quite

another. Whenever I tried pulling up closer to the enemy I ended up being spotted

and taken out early, it's as if this thing has a beacon to attract everyone within its

signal range. Maybe it would be for the best to grind until I have an active 6th sense

and then proceed to approach as safely as possible.

Yeah I get the picture with the feast or famine thing, sadly I'm getting that famine

end of the stick alarmingly often. Just an example, today I managed to get a Reaper

medal with it (one-shotted an ARL-44 from full health), but sadly lost the game, only to

win the next battle with zero damage done. Talk about a waste of x3 boost.

As for the rest of the tier5 artillery, I'll be re-purchasing the Grille as soon as I'm able to

spare the funds for it and I'll draw the line there. I won't be taking the tier5 AMX since

I already have the French premium in garage. Effectively speaking, the SU-122A is

my last tier5 artillery and It will definitely be the least-played one, at least until I manage

to get the first set of skills on the crew. Until that happens, the only time I'll be rolling

it out is to get the exp bonus out of the way.

PS EDIT: I'm honestly thinking about taking 6th sense on the Commander and

immediately proceeding to train Camouflage on the rest of the crew, I'm getting

the feeling this thing sticks out on the battlefield as a sore thumb.

Edited by ArgentHellion, 22 January 2017 - 06:26 PM.

ArgentHellion #6 Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:07 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8645 battles

... five battles in a row,

... five defeats,

... five times I'm the last one standing with barely any damage done,

... five times I'm being rushed at as I'm reloaded

... FIVE TIME THIS PIECE OF **** MISSES FROM POINT BLANK RANGE.

It feels downright humiliating when I miss my shot and the enemy proceeds

to RAM me to death by slamming into me several times over rather than

simply shooting me, last game the guy in a T37 literally drove in-front of me

and proceeded to flip me over and rape me, both figuratively and literally. 

I'm done, I'm officially calling this thing a TOTAL BUST and I'm sincerely

recommending everyone who isn't a masochist to stay away from this thing.

I honestly reached my boiling point, over the last month this thing caused me 

more frustration then everything else in my life combined and now I can't even

stand to look at the damn thing any more.

Darth_Clicker #7 Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:34 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57950 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostArgentHellion, on 29 January 2017 - 12:07 AM, said:

... five battles in a row,

... five defeats,

... five times I'm the last one standing with barely any damage done,

... five times I'm being rushed at as I'm reloaded

... FIVE TIME THIS PIECE OF **** MISSES FROM POINT BLANK RANGE.

It feels downright humiliating when I miss my shot and the enemy proceeds

to RAM me to death by slamming into me several times over rather than

simply shooting me, last game the guy in a T37 literally drove in-front of me

and proceeded to flip me over and rape me, both figuratively and literally. 

I'm done, I'm officially calling this thing a TOTAL BUST and I'm sincerely

recommending everyone who isn't a masochist to stay away from this thing.

I honestly reached my boiling point, over the last month this thing caused me 

more frustration then everything else in my life combined and now I can't even

stand to look at the damn thing any more.

Your questions and my answers forced me to take  a hard look at the SU-122a's spot in my garage.  I just sold it and repurchased the SU-8.  The Soviet line does have some nice pieces in my opinion.  The VIII-X are all good ones in their own way.  My favorite is the 212a.  I think it is one of the artys in the game that does not get the respect that it deserves.  I actually like it much better than the Obj 261.

ArgentHellion #8 Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8645 battles

View PostDarth_Clicker, on 29 January 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

Your questions and my answers forced me to take  a hard look at the SU-122a's spot in my garage.  I just sold it and repurchased the SU-8.  The Soviet line does have some nice pieces in my opinion.  The VIII-X are all good ones in their own way.  My favorite is the 212a.  I think it is one of the artys in the game that does not get the respect that it deserves.  I actually like it much better than the Obj 261.

From what I've experienced so far, the Russian artillery line is the least favorable to play,

the only exception was the SU-26, used to love that thing but then it got neutered and

became pretty much useless.

After I manage to grind out the rest of the exp on the SU-122A to clear it, I'm going to

scrap it and ignore its successors. For the sake of being able to actually fire more than

three shots the entire game I'm going to revert to the stock gun and resort to exploiting

the daily exp bonuses to ease the torture.

Don't judge me, I don't like leaving dead ends. 

I already have the S-51 researched I'm just missing the cash to buy it, I'll pick up the rest

of the Russian artillery grind from there and hope the higher tiers will prove worthy

of keeping.

adamekpol #9 Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23719 battles
  • [PBWP] PBWP
no chance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users