emil 1 help

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

PoIestar #1 Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:50 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32503 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Just picked up the Emil, which I hoped would be nice because I hated the Leo. However, it's not so nice. It's awful.

Keep in mind: I own the stock engine and tracks.

I do have the best gun, a decent crew, Vert Stab and Vents. 

I've played two games in it so far: in one I got one shotted in minute 1 by arta while I was moving (I was obviously camping in the middle of the map while driving) and the second one I was in a tier 10 game where I did nothing apart from getting ammoracked after repairing my tracks and the enemy Emil ammoracked me for 1028. Meanwhile, I couldn't pen the Emil's side, the atrocious aimtime/accuracy and gun handling made sure I had to aim ages to only hit the turret or missing.

I really really hate this tank with this current experience so far, any hints? Or is this what the tank is, a miserable piece of crap which does represent the Emil-II and Kranvagn, or if I don't like the Emil-I I'll hate those two, too?

Dontspill_McGinnis #2 Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 33791 battles
  • [BARUK] BARUK

I'm also very new to the Emil 1 and struggled to start with. 

Getting it fully researched really does make a difference.

From trial and error, this is what I have learned:-

- Never go off alone, and never be first.

- Always try to hide your hull.

- Emil is NOT a sniper, you need to be up close.

- Always have an escape route to reload in safety.

- Don't fully unload your clip if doing so means taking a shot.

I'm not a great player, but this seems to work somewhat for me. 

I hope it helps you.

Search_Warrant #3 Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:23 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 27851 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Tank is simply bad in all cases but hulldown. even then id rather take T29 1 teir lower with better turret armor. bad pen, aimtime truly kill this tank. weighs less than a T54LW yet slower than a IS-3. i think T54LW has better armor too.

TheMarketGardener #4 Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18811 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 02 March 2017 - 09:23 PM, said:

wtf?

Uebergewicht #5 Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles

I just don´t get the complaints about the Emil. This tank is the most pleasant grind I had in ages. Granted, I free-XPd the modules, but fully upgraded, the tank just feels great to me. I´m not doing anything especially outstanding... go hulldown, clip people in the face, retreat. With that gun depression you can hull down almost anywhere, and the turret is quite reliable when you are.

Yes, the gun doesnt handle all that well, but I never found it that hard to get close enough to people. The rule of thumb is simply: Fully aim your first shot for anything but point blank distance. As long as you only show your turret, you usually have all the time in the world.

Also, the gun´s pen is not the greatest either, so I tend to go for softer targets. Given that the medium lane is usually the hilly area of the map anyway, that comes together nicely. Just dont try to peek-a-boom the heavies around a corner, that will obviously not work. 

The Emil can also be a surprisingly effective road block... simply because people are scared to engage you. Sitting behind that hill with potentially a full magazine loaded, folks know you can punish them before they get any realistic angle on you, and are scared to engage. Especially if they don´t know exactly how many shots you have left. And if you dont make it too obvious when you´re reloading - dont just run away the instant you fired your last shot - you can scare people in place while youre reloading. Just keep poking slightly "as if". Works surprisingly often and can make a whole lot of a difference, especially in assault defense.

Compared to my other tier 8 heavies, it feels just... easy to do lots of damage in this thing. I got my first MoE in it, and if the requirements are similarly inflated as those for the mastery badges, that really means something. Winrate is also quite okay, so I dont have anything to complain. The Emil is literally my relax-tank.

UberSven #6 Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

Private

• Player
  • 17515 battles

I dont get this tank. Somewhat like Leo but change speed for turret armour. I can not recommend the Emil1, Its very booring. You need to be close cuz the gun is amazingly bad at smallest distance, And at close you will bounce most tier8 other heavies, even with gold ammo, wich is a must. Without speed its just dont work on most maps and most situations. Soo no good advice from me, I will stay away from this tree. 

Forgot, no advantages in MM, I think rather the opposite. The armour around is soo bad arty will take you out instantly, and the reloading is redicolous,

When on a hill close to enemy you get good damage, happens very very rare.

Edited by UberSven, 04 March 2017 - 02:12 PM.

wardog2704 #7 Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20291 battles
Started playing the thing the day before yesterday. first couple of games i totaly sucked in it. then i thought i got it and played arround 20 games in it and played a wn8 of 1500 and thats very good for me. had ok mm saw some t10 games but not much (out of 20 about 3 or so). but since yesterday allmost all they games in it are t10. in t10 games its useless and my wn8 for this tank dropped a lot. anyone else have this problem with it ?

UberSven #8 Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 17515 battles

MM does you no favours, You have been in extreme luck my friend.

Wins 46% with 80 matches. Much below my average.

The gun is one of the worst ever tier8. Energy of shot droppes so quick so you need to be close to do anything, and close you can not hit weakspots cuz handlig is very poor. Forget tier 8 heavies in front. All these new Sovjet gold tanks, forget it. Its really a very slow medium tank  with a very special tactics that i dont get at all.

5everin #9 Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 78875 battles
  • [TEC] TEC

Grinding it from stock at the moment.

A couple of people warned me it was poor beforehand (at least till fully upgraded) and my first game seemd to prove them very wrong. 3 kills 3.2k damage a Tank sniper and me thinking this is going to be a fun tank.

Next two games. Illusions shattered the tank is sluggish, lacks pen and the gun handling is just bad. However since then its been a pretty mixed bag. It at least has a good turret and gun dperession for ridge poking from the get go.

Things should get better as I get the modules sorted but so far (23 games) not the worst early grind I have had to do. (T49/amx30/Sturer Emil vie for that particular crown) Though not the most pleasant either.

Crew is ok (female) with 2 skills + 30ish % 3rd.

current setup vents, gld, vert stab.

Edited by 5everin, 11 March 2017 - 09:04 PM.

5everin #10 Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 78875 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
Update: Fully upgraded now and its a very good tank, only really lacking a little in pen and gun handling.

Search_Warrant #11 Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 27851 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View Post5everin, on 21 March 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

Update: Fully upgraded now and its a very good tank, only really lacking a little in pen and gun handling.

Pen and gun handling is singlehandedly the reason this tank is sh**. hasent even got mobility to make up for everything bad about this turd.

Edited by Search_Warrant, 21 March 2017 - 07:37 PM.

NotDeadYettie #12 Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 30792 battles

5everin, GLD or coated optics as 3rd ?

5everin #13 Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:19 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 78875 battles
  • [TEC] TEC

View PostNotDeadYettie, on 04 October 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

5everin, GLD or coated optics as 3rd ?

I stayed with the GLD. Didnt try optics as they didnt really fit my play style in the tank.

Edited by 5everin, 19 October 2017 - 02:20 AM.

UberSven #14 Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:19 PM

Private

• Player
  • 17515 battles
Forget they will ever fix this broken tank. Like the Japs meds, just there for diversity. Just words, not for fun.

Gardar7 #15 Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:56 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 23666 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I'm almost at Emil I finally and I'm thinking about the equipment. In QuickyBaby's videos I can see that he uses optics, vents and vert.stab. But even from the videos it seems quite obvious for me that it really needs a different setup, instead of optics it needs an EGLD as the aiming time is far from good. Am I right, or the optics are more useful? 

bstb3 #16 Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:59 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 39620 battles
  • [VBRJ] VBRJ

Ridiculously late reply, but I'm running GLD, Vert Stabs and Optics in mine. Seems to be working well enough, and actually the tank is much better than I was expecting it to be, especially having read this thread before getting it. Of course it is a bit of a one trick pony, but its a pretty neat trick. You can't trust the turret against tier 9 or above, and even prem firing tier 8's will hurt it sometimes, but handily a lot of people seem to think they cant and don't bother shooting you when hull down, which is nice. Against higher tiers just press 2, and wait for opportunities to sneak shots in - it's still an autoloader and catching someone out can still cause a bit of pain, you just have to be patient.

The_Georgian_One #17 Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39648 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN
I 3-marked it with vents, v-stab and optics, but I also run food. The gun handling was good enough. Thing is - don't snipe with it, find a good hull-down location with enemies in front, unload your clip (FULLY AIM YOUR SHOTS), rinse & repeat.

Edited by The_Georgian_One, 06 April 2018 - 10:56 AM.

Somnorila #18 Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 57002 battles

I can only tell you what i did.

Had the girls from branch launch or something like that so i thought to get the Emil 1 and stop grinding there. Got to it, played a few matches, sold it and moved the girls on the TD line. I totally hated it. Armor works just in some very specific situations but the gun is rubbish. Low clip power, low accuracy, bad aiming time and low penetration. Paired with somewhat high reload for it's real capabilities i felt it doesn't worth my time. At tier 8 between tech tree heavies i can play IS 3 for armor/bully play style or 50 100 for a more assassin like approach. 

Edited by Somnorila, 06 April 2018 - 11:32 AM.

CrimsonEntropy #19 Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28372 battles

It's something of a false equivalency to compare the Emil I to anything other than other T8 Autoloading heavies - the AMX 50 100 and Somua SM. 

The 50 100 and SM are better in every meaningful way. Better clip potential, better inter-clip reloads, better penetration, better ammo capacity, better aim time......EVERYWHERE apart from turret armour and dispersion in the case of the SM.

The poor old Emil needs a serious buff but it will never happen....the Swedish tree is old news, WG wants you to buy new and improved power creep wagons. 

Edited by CrimsonEntropy, 10 April 2018 - 03:15 PM.

Quintuss #20 Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29481 battles
  • [DIVA_] DIVA_

View PostCrimsonEntropy, on 10 April 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

It's something of a false equivalency to compare the Emil I to anything other than other T8 Autoloading heavies - the AMX 50 100 and Somua SM. 

The 50 100 and SM are better in every meaningful way. Better clip potential, better inter-clip reloads, better penetration, better ammo capacity, better aim time......EVERYWHERE apart from turret armour and dispersion in the case of the SM.

The poor old Emil needs a serious buff but it will never happen....the Swedish tree is old news, WG wants you to buy new and improved power creep wagons. 

What your table doesn't show is that not only does the 50/100 have more pen, it has AP while the Emil has APCR for both standard and premium rounds.

Emil 1 is just a really bad Lorr 40t - worse gunhandling, worse mobility, worse Pen, worse inter-clip reload but same clip size and same armour (none exept of trollbounces). In theory the turret becomes harder when hulldown but that is just theory: anyone with high pen, elevated position or simply not directly in from can penetrate the turret easyly - and all arty/derp guns love your parer-armour anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users