su-152/isu-152 what about the guns?

SU-152 ISU-152 BL-10

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Stiggy2011 #1 Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23398 battles

Just a question for those that know more than I.

I'm currently working through the su-152 towards the isu and have enough XP for the first 122mm gun. Now should I save it and go for the isu first, then play the su and isu side by side to grind for the BL-10?

OR get the 122mm guns on the su-152 first, then research isu-152?

Do the 122mm guns earn XP better than the 152mm to make the research go quicker or should I just just Dance with the Derp in the pale moonlight till its done?

thanks in advance.

Stiggy,

Laukaus #2 Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10227 battles
Wont say what you SHOULD do, but after trying a 122 mm I went back to 152 mm with my SU-152. The 122 mm weapons' penetration is not enough for T7 TD (totally no use against T9 tanks) but with 152mm HE you can harm almost any enemy tank.

Stiggy2011 #3 Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:05 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23398 battles

Thanks, from what I'm reading the 122mms aren't up to the job on the ISU and 152mm HE is the way to go there. not that i mind I've already got the Ace tanker on the su its just the HE randomness that comes with it

jorn175 #4 Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:09 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15170 battles

View PostStiggy2011, on 14 February 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

Just a question for those that know more than I.

I'm currently working through the su-152 towards the isu and have enough XP for the first 122mm gun. Now should I save it and go for the isu first, then play the su and isu side by side to grind for the BL-10?

OR get the 122mm guns on the su-152 first, then research isu-152?

Do the 122mm guns earn XP better than the 152mm to make the research go quicker or should I just just Dance with the Derp in the pale moonlight till its done?

thanks in advance.

Stiggy,

Hey Stiggy,

Intro

I'm currently grinding through both Russian TD lines. I currently have the ISU-152 and the SU-101. I have the Obj. 704 unlocked.

My style

How I liked to play the SU-152 is with the stock howitzer and load HE and when the situation desires it you can load the autopen broken HEAT shells, which just eliminate everything on tier V, VI, VII and sometimes even in VIII/IX. With those HEAT shells I managed to get 83% or so MoE, and I unlocked the ISU-152 in no-time. But I don't know what kind of gameplay you prefer.

Tips/Info

But you HAVE to unlock all the 122 mm guns on the SU-152. Otherwise the grind to the BL-10 on the ISU-152 is just too painfull, it will cost even more time to play with the stock 152 mm howitzer, but again you can load those broken HEAT shells and decimate mostly of the opponents you will meet. The 152 mm stock gun is like an baby-bl10 gun with HEAT. Also it would help if you have played the Russian IS line before, because of the engines being used on those tanks are also used on the ISU-152, but you can not really do something about that. After you finished your grind to the BL-10 you can consider going to play the russian Heavy tanks if you didn't do that already.

122 mm

You can ofcourse try to use the 122 mm guns, you will have to unlock them so why not try them. The SU-152 then becomes an DPM beast, 3000+ dpm with the top 122 mm gun with full crew skills etc. But the penetration really hurts the tank and the accuracy is not that great though. With these guns you will primarily camp or be an oppertunist. When you see an enemy is alone, you can pick him off with your scary DPM. You will have to load alot of APCR though, the penetration is not that great. Even with APCR you will find having problems penning most tier VIII tanks. And because the shell capacity is not that great you will lose alot of credits. But if you like this type of gameplay I would suggest you to also try the other Russian TD line. The one ending in the Obj 263.

152 mm

The 152 mm is the stock gun, it is an funny gun. If you like the KV-2 you will like this gun too as it reloads faster, has more accuracy and better aiming time. So it's an buffed up version of the gun on the KV-2. Next to that you can load the very broken HEAT shells as I said before. Enemies will fear your damage. Stay with your friendlies and after you see the enemies fired, you can come around the corner with your 43 km/h top speed and give one of them a very bad day. Also the HE would be a viable option as you would do around 300-400 damage per shot. It comes down to preferance, choose which gun fits you the most.

Worth it

Please remember, if you are already at the SU-152 it is no time to give up. The ISU-152 is WORTH it with the BL-10. You will find it funny doing 4000 damage in tier X games.

ISU-152

The ISU stock plays like the SU-152, play with the same play-styles as I said above here. You will not do great but not bad. When you have the BL-10 unlocked, the fun can begin. If you are toptier you can be VERY agressive and push the enemy heavy tanks back. But if you are lower-tier you can play kind of campy in the beginning and do some early damage. After the enemies are wounded you can pick them off. The BL-10 can snipe in the hands of an aware player. ALWAYS but ALWAYS look at your minimap.

I hope this is usefull for you! And I wish you good luck with your grind!

Yours sincerely,

jorn175

Edited by jorn175, 15 February 2017 - 10:06 AM.

Stiggy2011 #5 Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23398 battles

Thanks dude, awesome answer.

In all honesty i've not used HEAT, i'm a little old fashioned and still think of premium ammo as gold spamming, but I'll have to give it a whirl. loving the derp though.

I've set up using vents, GLD, and rammer at the moment would binos be a good option as view range is shocking?

jorn175 #6 Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:57 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15170 battles

View PostStiggy2011, on 16 February 2017 - 08:48 PM, said:

Thanks dude, awesome answer.

In all honesty i've not used HEAT, i'm a little old fashioned and still think of premium ammo as gold spamming, but I'll have to give it a whirl. loving the derp though.

I've set up using vents, GLD, and rammer at the moment would binos be a good option as view range is shocking?

It would help to have it when you end up in an 1 v 1 situation. Or even an 1 v 2. But it is not necessary if you stay with your teammates as they will have better viewrange than you do. So it doesn't really matter.

You could train your crew also to have increased viewrange so you can save the 500k credits on the binos. Also the gun arc is not that good so you will have to keep turning your tank to re-engage targets, so the binos will get disabled when you turn your tank.

I have never used binos on the SU-152 so I can't tell if it is nice to have but you can always try it, and if you don't like the setup you can swap it out for something else and use the binos on an other vehicle. Next to that the viewrange is indeed kind of sh*tty, so it would be an viable option when you are alone on a flank, the SU-152 has great camorating, you probably won't believe me but it's an sneaky tank. (Until you fire). So if you combine this with an full camo-crew / camo-net it becomes an very sneaky high damage dealer. But your current equipment is much more better so I wouldn't swap it out for a camo-net, also when you are sniping it doesn't really work that well because of your accuracy.

Your current setup is the setup you want to have when you are on medium - short range. This is the right kind of setup with the 152mm I think. But again, it's all down to preference, if you like the binos more then the Vents you can always swap them out (it only costs 10 gold so why not)

And oh my god you didn't use the HEAT? You are missing something in a lifetime :P

And well these days almost all players above 2500+ wn8 only load Gold-ammo in their tanks, you can do 2 things. First you can hate the people who do these kind of things and keep getting killed/shot at by it, or you can do the second thing. Take advantage of it as long WG does not balance it. It's WG his problem, not yours. You will not earn credits, but you can earn them back easily. Buy 1 day premium account. Play an premium tank 1 day long and you will earn ~2.5 million credits. Broken af. And you can argue that WG earns money because you buy an premium account, but WG also loses an playerbase. That's why they constantly advertise to get 10 year old kids to play their game and ask their parents to spend 100 euro's on the game. That's how WG earns money these days.

*EDIT: And if you really like the SU-152 with the 122 mm gun I suggest you trying to play the SU-122-44 on the testserver. It is practically an faster SU-152, with more armor but with a little slower reload. (Mine has an reload of ~6.5 with full equipment, bia etc.)

Yours sincerely,

jorn175

Edited by jorn175, 17 February 2017 - 09:43 AM.

Stiggy2011 #7 Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:09 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23398 battles

So I tried HEAT....three shots, three hits 2.2k damage. MAKE IT RAIN!!!

Codis172 #8 Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:38 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 33854 battles

I believe I only used the derp gun on the SU 152 and had a lot of fun with it. Also, I think I mostly used HEAT rounds (using HE also works well) but you have to be careful where you aim because the tracks eat those heat rounds for breakfast. When it hits and inflicts enormous damage it's quite trollish, just let the gun take it's time to aim.

The ISU for me was a different story, had a tough time till I reached the magical Bl10 and that gun really makes the tank. Good aim time and accuracy, I don't have a problem with the reload time but it is sluggish when turning or reversing. I like the ISU now, it feels like a different vehicle when upgrading the gun and it seems players fear it when facing one.

Edited by Codis172, 17 February 2017 - 02:45 PM.

jorn175 #9 Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15170 battles

View PostStiggy2011, on 17 February 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

So I tried HEAT....three shots, three hits 2.2k damage. MAKE IT RAIN!!!

As I said. Those HEAT shells are just broken af. But now the grind becomes alot easier. You have to invest a little bit more credits but the grind becomes more fun. This is just the beginning of what is going to be... (ISU-152 with BL-10). Just play the ISU-152 the same way you are doing now with the SU-152 and the results will be almost the same ;)

View PostCodis172, on 17 February 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

I believe I only used the derp gun on the SU 152 and had a lot of fun with it. Also, I think I mostly used HEAT rounds (using HE also works well) but you have to be careful where you aim because the tracks eat those heat rounds for breakfast. When it hits and inflicts enormous damage it's quite trollish, just let the gun take it's time to aim.

The ISU for me was a different story, had a tough time till I reached the magical Bl10 and that gun really makes the tank. Good aim time and accuracy, I don't have a problem with the reload time but it is sluggish when turning or reversing. I like the ISU now, it feels like a different vehicle when upgrading the gun and it seems players fear it when facing one.

That's also true, but when the shells hit. One by one it is an damage monster.

The ISU-152 BECOMES an other vehicle when using the BL-10. People claiming that the ISU-152 is OP don't know the other stats of the ISU-152, the gun is it's only PRO. And the ISU-152 can be fun too when using the stock howitzer with HEAT, like the SU-152. That is how I unlocked my BL-10. (But I had the engines already unlocked due to the heavy line). And yes the traverse is sluggish and the tank is sluggish but the gun really compensates.

ZeroKelvin #10 Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:04 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 35535 battles

3000 DPM at Tier 7...

With the amount of weakly armored tanks in the game, the 122 is a no brainer.

250swb #11 Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 23230 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostZeroKelvin, on 12 May 2017 - 09:04 PM, said:

3000 DPM at Tier 7...

With the amount of weakly armored tanks in the game, the 122 is a no brainer.

Unless there is a bug in the in-game stats with BIA and rammer I'm showing 3748 dpm with the 122mm D25S! 3748 dpm at tier VII? Surely a mistake?

I started out using the derp gun because everybody seemed to be saying it was a no-brainer choice, but I'm enjoying the IS-152 much more in my couple of games with the 122mm.

Eila_Juutilainen #12 Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21466 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND

View Post250swb, on 15 May 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

Unless there is a bug in the in-game stats with BIA and rammer I'm showing 3748 dpm with the 122mm D25S! 3748 dpm at tier VII? Surely a mistake?

I started out using the derp gun because everybody seemed to be saying it was a no-brainer choice, but I'm enjoying the IS-152 much more in my couple of games with the 122mm.

That DPM is about right, SU-152 with the 122mm (and ISU-122S) has one of the highest DPMs in the game.

That said, the gun is still the poorer choice. Accuracy is terrible, and the penetration is abominable for a tier 7 TD. ZeroKelvin says that there's a lot of weakly armoured tanks in the game but, really, that's not true. And even on tier 7 the penetration already struggles on some targets, like T29 and O-Ni. It also needs to be able to constantly fire, where the 152mm with HEAT has 700 alpha.

The 122mm can work great with the right map, MM and team. Otherwise blasting people with massive HE and HEAT works much better.

Edited by Eila_Juutilainen, 15 May 2017 - 03:37 PM.

Comrade_Renamon #13 Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:39 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10343 battles

View PostEila_Juutilainen, on 15 May 2017 - 02:28 PM, said:

The 122mm can work great with the right map, MM and team. Otherwise blasting people with massive HE and HEAT works much better.

This, on open maps in a full T7 setup it could work of course, but that is rarely the case, the accuracy is not great to snipe with it reliably at long ranges (you are better off with the SU-122-44, a far better platform for the 122mm, faster, front is bouncy all for just 1 sec less reload speed). The game is not revolving around DPM as you rarely get to just sit and farm people, what do you give up for it?

1. Fear factor, people are way more afraid of a 700 alpha shot than a 390 alpha shot (you got high DPM but still 6 second reload) and if someone got close enough it does not matter if you have 6 sec or 14 sec reload because the TD turns like a whale.

2. You cannot use it as an effective assault TD on city maps because while 390 alpha is still good you might not get the chance to put multiple shots in (as you need to wait for heavies to be distracted, negating your DPM advantage entirely, you also need to expose yourself for a short time, which again with the turn speed is very risky, might as well hit like a truck).

3. You get matched up against Patriots/Libertes and the likes and it is good luck, not even mentioning T9 games, at least even in those you can HE spam people for an alright amount (with a bit of luck and aiming).

4. Trading.

You are free to use it but imho the SU-122-44 is better in every possible way aside from a bit better bloom and 1-0,5 sec reload between shots.

Nuppiz #14 Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:08 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 30597 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

The stock 152mm is definitely the way to go. While the 122mm might have impressive DPM, 175 penetration is just too low to reliably penetrate many of the tanks you're facing by this point, because your armor and mobility are too weak to get close enough to reliably hit weakspots before getting blasted to bits yourself. The derp at least allows you deal a reliable 300+ damage to all but the thickest of armor, and if you get lucky and have a poorly-armored target in your sights you can rip them apart with a ridiculous 700-900+ damage. Even if they don't get killed outright, they'll be severely crippled with multiple damaged modules and/or dead crew members.

I'm currently at the ISU-152 and still loving the derp. Can't wait to get the BL-10 unlocked though...

captainpigg #15 Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34115 battles
  • [F-DIV] F-DIV
To add to this, with ISU-152 don't waste your time unlocking the 122mm BL9S until after unlocking the BL10, and only really unlock to elite it. Don't mount it at all, this is probably the most pointless gun in the game.

Inappropriate_noob #16 Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:37 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 17344 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View Postjorn175, on 15 February 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

Hey Stiggy,

Intro

I'm currently grinding through both Russian TD lines. I currently have the ISU-152 and the SU-101. I have the Obj. 704 unlocked.

My style

How I liked to play the SU-152 is with the stock howitzer and load HE and when the situation desires it you can load the autopen broken HEAT shells, which just eliminate everything on tier V, VI, VII and sometimes even in VIII/IX. With those HEAT shells I managed to get 83% or so MoE, and I unlocked the ISU-152 in no-time. But I don't know what kind of gameplay you prefer.

Tips/Info

But you HAVE to unlock all the 122 mm guns on the SU-152. Otherwise the grind to the BL-10 on the ISU-152 is just too painfull, it will cost even more time to play with the stock 152 mm howitzer, but again you can load those broken HEAT shells and decimate mostly of the opponents you will meet. The 152 mm stock gun is like an baby-bl10 gun with HEAT. Also it would help if you have played the Russian IS line before, because of the engines being used on those tanks are also used on the ISU-152, but you can not really do something about that. After you finished your grind to the BL-10 you can consider going to play the russian Heavy tanks if you didn't do that already.

122 mm

You can ofcourse try to use the 122 mm guns, you will have to unlock them so why not try them. The SU-152 then becomes an DPM beast, 3000+ dpm with the top 122 mm gun with full crew skills etc. But the penetration really hurts the tank and the accuracy is not that great though. With these guns you will primarily camp or be an oppertunist. When you see an enemy is alone, you can pick him off with your scary DPM. You will have to load alot of APCR though, the penetration is not that great. Even with APCR you will find having problems penning most tier VIII tanks. And because the shell capacity is not that great you will lose alot of credits. But if you like this type of gameplay I would suggest you to also try the other Russian TD line. The one ending in the Obj 263.

152 mm

The 152 mm is the stock gun, it is an funny gun. If you like the KV-2 you will like this gun too as it reloads faster, has more accuracy and better aiming time. So it's an buffed up version of the gun on the KV-2. Next to that you can load the very broken HEAT shells as I said before. Enemies will fear your damage. Stay with your friendlies and after you see the enemies fired, you can come around the corner with your 43 km/h top speed and give one of them a very bad day. Also the HE would be a viable option as you would do around 300-400 damage per shot. It comes down to preferance, choose which gun fits you the most.

Worth it

Please remember, if you are already at the SU-152 it is no time to give up. The ISU-152 is WORTH it with the BL-10. You will find it funny doing 4000 damage in tier X games.

ISU-152

The ISU stock plays like the SU-152, play with the same play-styles as I said above here. You will not do great but not bad. When you have the BL-10 unlocked, the fun can begin. If you are toptier you can be VERY agressive and push the enemy heavy tanks back. But if you are lower-tier you can play kind of campy in the beginning and do some early damage. After the enemies are wounded you can pick them off. The BL-10 can snipe in the hands of an aware player. ALWAYS but ALWAYS look at your minimap.

I hope this is usefull for you! And I wish you good luck with your grind!

Yours sincerely,

jorn175

Very useful tips there buddy, I am grinding towards this one, and have heard it described as a troll cannon, could it possibly be as OP as in the 268 V4, or is it just a tier 8 wet dream?

MeetriX #17 Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:57 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 24072 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE

View Postcaptainpigg, on 04 July 2017 - 10:40 PM, said:

To add to this, with ISU-152 don't waste your time unlocking the 122mm BL9S until after unlocking the BL10, and only really unlock to elite it. Don't mount it at all, this is probably the most pointless gun in the game.

BL-10 is gone and there is no choice to not research bl-9s before topgun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users