Q. Alpha vs DPM and Camo vs View Range

Hellcat Build

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:02 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 30660 battles

Hi guys just a quick question to the house (probably for another section but will definitely influence my gameplay so..). I recently bought a Hellcat TD which I find really fun particularly since it plays a little like a few scout tanks I am familiar with and boasts a really good camo value. So I have unlocked the top gun and also literally just completed the crew to 100% and so unlocked the 1st set of skills. Here are my questions you might be able to give some advice on.

1.The "Top Gun" is same aim time and accuracy but it has a higher pen and alpha which is great but a significantly lower reload and RoF. 90mm=1,963dpm  76mm=2579 That is massively lower with the top gun and a little frustrating when the targets are sitting there for a second shot and it just doesn't load on time. I haven't had many fights in it so not sure which I should chose? The top guns pen is only 160 anyway and It seems that if I play this TD as a quick flanking style tank and use my camo and speed to get in behind the enemy later on the fight the the RoF and sheer volume of shots I can get off on the enemies sides/rear and 1vs1 with arty I have had pretty good returns this way vs the frustrating slow reload of the top gun and also its a lot heavier which I feel I notice on mobility so?

2. The Hellcat has a very high camo rating indeed but the view range is poor so I carry optics and binocs instead of a net which could be deployed as this TD has a turret.. pity then but I would never sacrifice a rammer. dpm is dpm! This TD doubles up as a pretty decent scout when the team needs it. I was going to go with camo skill for the 1st set to make this a ghost but do you think camo is not as good as view range? Should I sacrifice 1 or 2 crew to increase the view range from 407m by choosing Situational Awareness and Recon? That's 3% and 2% when complete which sounds little but I found actually adds a really nice increase in view range. 100% Camo or 60% camo (3crew) and increased View Range?

(I'll of course switch the commander to 6th sense once 1st skill reaches 100%)

Edited by TungstenHitman, 17 February 2017 - 02:10 AM.

arjun69 #2 Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:11 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 104680 battles
  • [ARJ] ARJ

i would drop the optics for a camonet but keep the binos

you want to snipe from as far s possible, mostly stationary.

first skillset should be imo:

commander 6th sense.

gunner either designated target or camo

everybody else camo

i use the 90mm gun because of its penetration (you meet tier 8 opponents often)

the difference from 128 to 160 mm penetration is noticeable.

i am not the best hellcat driver though

Edited by arjun69, 17 February 2017 - 02:14 AM.

BrinklyWollox #3 Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:51 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles
I play it with rammer, binocs and net. It's fast in a straight line but doesn't turn all that well and reverse is so slow that you won't be able to get away with peeking like a fast med or light can. I try to use the speed to get into position, then get the net up before firing in an effort to reduce the chances of being spotted. That worked ok for me on the grind to the T25/2 though I'm waiting until my T67 crew has sixth sense before moving them up so haven't had a chance to experiment with other equipment.

TungstenHitman #4 Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:37 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 30660 battles

View PostStrappster, on 17 February 2017 - 04:51 AM, said:

I play it with rammer, binocs and net. It's fast in a straight line but doesn't turn all that well and reverse is so slow that you won't be able to get away with peeking like a fast med or light can. I try to use the speed to get into position, then get the net up before firing in an effort to reduce the chances of being spotted. That worked ok for me on the grind to the T25/2 though I'm waiting until my T67 crew has sixth sense before moving them up so haven't had a chance to experiment with other equipment.

Good point ya I've noticed reverse on this is horrible to the point of almost certainly catching a shot if played with the thoughts of getting off a shot and reversing to safety.. just about ok to do hulldown but not really safe in other cases to the point that I actually point the tank rear side to the enemy and use it's better forward motion to take a shot that's probably going to expose my position.

The camo net.. ya I agree with the above comments and will drop the optics for the net would be a shame not to exploit the fact it can remain net covered while using it's turret. Anyone got any idea on how effective the net is after you shoot? Or does your camo value still get reduced to almost zero even with the net?

Obsessive_Compulsive #5 Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:48 AM

General

• Player
  • 28763 battles
  • [BULL] BULL

To get the best from the hellcat you want to be behind your lines and thus increasing your viw ranage is of limited value. hellcat will win games when it can lay down fire that hits and pens thus keeping your allies alive and killing the enemies. if your in a situation where you need to spot for yourself you either went to a bad position or its a close game/lost game.

so go with the 90mm. Keep the rammer and also get GLD the 3rd option is down to your playstyle. but the hellcat is no longer the beast it once was and so optics are less usefull now than they used to be. binocs will be more usefull than a camo net because you can use that gun depression and fire off a shot earlier then pull back.

Indy_Bones #6 Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:18 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33856 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

DPM on a tank is irrelevant if you can pen them consistently to be able to utilise it. The 76mm just doesn't cut any ice when facing most tier 8 (and some tier 7) tanks unless you want to spam premium ammo.

I'd stick with the 90mm tbh, go with binocs, net and rammer and simply find good spots to take advantage of camo.

Lycopersicon #7 Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10899 battles
In a TD, I would prefer camo over view range; in other classes, I would prefer view range. Admitting that I have no experience with Hellcat in particular, I still think rammer+binoculars+camonet optics should be the best equipment.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 17 February 2017 - 03:12 PM.

Spurtung #8 Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:03 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 74420 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostLycopersicon, on 17 February 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

In a TD, I would prefer camo over view range; in other classes, I would prefer view range. Admitting that I have no experience with Hellcat in particular, I still think rammer-binoculars+optics should be the best equipment.

You contradict yourself pretty quickly.

PontusJanssonsMagic #9 Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:22 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 55196 battles
  • [NERVA] NERVA
90mm all day. Dpm is useless when you're just bouncing all day long, even with premium ammo

Somnorila #10 Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 57840 battles

Alpha over DPM every day. As for camo vs view range both are good, i would say view range if you plan on moving a lot or camo i you snipe and spot passive.

For Hellcat in particular net+binocs+rammer is the best and tested way. For crew camo most important then 6th sense and then do whatever you want. So i would go like this:

Commander - 1.Camo 2.Sixth sense 3.Recon 4.Bia 5.Mentor (to change for Eagle eye)

Gunner - 1.Camo 2.Deadeye 3.Snap shot 4.Bia 5.Repair

Driver - 1.Camo 2.Off road 3.Smooth ride 4.Bia 5.Repair

Radio - 1.Camo 2.Sit Awareness 3.Repair 4.Bia 5.Firefighting 

Loader - 1.Camo 2.Safe Stowage 3.Repair 4.Bia 5.Firefighting

But thinking that scrapping Bia is not such a loss too, basically from skill 3 and up is just personal preference as the first two at 100% are more than enough to run Hellcat at full capacity.

Edited by Somnorila, 17 February 2017 - 05:22 PM.

Lycopersicon #11 Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10899 battles

View PostSpurtung, on 17 February 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

You contradict yourself pretty quickly.

Oops, that was a very loud brainfart :hiding: Corrected.

Dosjer007 #12 Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1010 battles
I thought you were going to ask in general, not about a specific tank like the Hellcat. Next time post this sort of questions in the pertinent subforum. Thnx.
 Reported. 

TungstenHitman #13 Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:21 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 30660 battles

View PostDosjer007, on 17 February 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

I thought you were going to ask in general, not about a specific tank like the Hellcat. Next time post this sort of questions in the pertinent subforum. Thnx.
 Reported. 

I bet you have lots of friends and just the MOST fun :facepalm:

It's also a thread in regards to gameplay as the topic will most definitely influence my game play.. Edited

This post has been edited by the moderation team due to insult 

Edited by VMX, 17 February 2017 - 03:48 PM.
insult,flaming

BrinklyWollox #14 Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:27 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27533 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 17 February 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

Anyone got any idea on how effective the net is after you shoot? Or does your camo value still get reduced to almost zero even with the net?

I'm not in the client at the moment so can't post a screenshot but if you use the stats display which doesn't use silly bars to show everything (can't remember if that's the simplified view or the cartoon one is), there are two figures for concealment when stationary and when moving. The second figure is the value when firing, though I don't think a camo net is taken into account for the stationary figure. It's puzzling which figure is supposed to mean what, particularly as all the figures are percentages but there's no explanation of how a percentage of camo is used to hide your tank.

So I use the camo calculator on this site instead. You can choose what tank is trying to spot you, I'd suggest using a light or medium that has plenty of view range to get the most useful set of figures. There's no point working out when an IS-3 would spot you as it can barely see past the end of its own gun and you'll go out thinking you're invisible and be disappointed when a Bulldog perforates you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users