Why you love the ELC: your ELC stories.

ELC tier V light tanks #HandsOffELC

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Clearways #1 Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:41 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 40053 battles

In the light of the proposed changes to the Tier V Light Tanks, please write your ELC love stories below, in any form you wish. Let's show WG why the ELC is such a well-loved and entertaining tank. By all means include links to your replays etc.

I started playing the game in 2012, and in  those early days, there were a number of tanks that made an impression: the (seemingly) omnipotent KV-1 and KV-1S (now lobotomised), the T-50/2 (RIP), the Hellcat (now with a full Health and Safety Certificate) and, of course, the ELC AMX .

They would pop up from nowhere, scream around the battlefield, blow a mighty big hole in one of your tanks and disappear, frequently in a terminal puff of smoke. They were fast, frantic fun and frequently ridiculously cheeky. The T-50/2 was certainly as fast, but it had a more clinical, menacing air to it, and woe betide the heavy tank that got separated from the herd and singled out by those guys.

So I started to climb to the heady heights of tier V in the French line: imagine my disappointment at having to grind through the likes of the AMX 38 and the infamous Duck tank, the AMX 40, to reach the honey that is the ELC. It was like being told that Yes! You could go out with Cinderella, but only after you had dated the ugly sisters! Still, the road to true glory is paved with such great sacrifice! I remember getting so frustrated by the incredibly slow speed of the Duck Tank, that I resolved that in every battle I would simply point my tank in the direction of the cap circle and drive amble towards it by the shortest possible route!

But eventually I reached my goal, and finally got my hands on the fantastic ELC (always in my English mind "the Elcie" ) . I loved it right from the word go: it was so fast, it turned on a dime and people seemed unable to hit it. Well for the first minute, at least... It wasn't long before I got it completely upgraded, and was able to put big holes in the opposition as well.

One game in particular sticks in my mind: it was at Westfield, in the days when they had Assault mode there, which was always a campfest where the defending team sat in the trees in the South-East corner and the attacking team had to try to spot them and pick them off. Horrible, just horrible. We were attacking, and I'd worked my way round to the bottom of the viaduct. Our team was trying to pick them off from the other side of the valley, or poking the edges, trying desparately not to get spotted and obliterated.

I was in cover on their right flank, I had a rough idea of where most of their team were, but in particular there was a KV-1S that was giving my team a hard time who hadn't yet been spotted. I backed up behind the ridge, giving myself a run-up. And just CHAAAAARGED into the enemy camp as if my arse was on fire! I weaved left and right on my way in, dodging the fire that eventually started coming my way from the astonished  enemy team,  I was lighting up half of the enemy team and my guys opened up, right on cue. Then I saw the KV-1S, side on, and made a bee-line for it (not a straight bee-line, obviously. That would be stupid!)

My reticle was huge, so the only way I was going to hit it was to get up really close, until he filled the circle. I dodged, zeroing in on my prize, and, when there was nothing but tank in front of me, I shot, delivering a fabulous 249 dmg he just wasn't expecting, then turned hard right so I could disappear over the ridge into the valley to safety, all the while expecting to hear some yank telling me to get out of the tank as I got toasted by the enemy team.

Unbelievably, I made it, completely unscathed, laughing maniacally while my team made mincemeat out of the enemy tanks. In the valley, I had to find a bush to sit in while I collected myself and stopped laughing.

And at that moment I swore I would NEVER sell my ELC....

Edited by Clearways, 20 February 2017 - 08:43 PM.

cro001 #2 Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:52 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32416 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Because it has so much camo that it matters, it's lower tier so it's relaxing(read: easy) to play and it isn't gimped with useless gun or crap speed.

gunslingerXXX #3 Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:12 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 12443 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

Erlenberg on defence, alone in my ELC against three enemies. They were quite far from the cap, a KV1(s?) a TD (I think) and the Chech T40 or T25, all on a lot of health. I knew I could only win by preventing them from capping, and decided to hide in the A0 bush overlooking the cap.

The skoda was quite fast to enter the cap, he had about 1 min to spare before time ran out. Shortly after he entered the cap my team started to shout in chat for me to de-cap, but I knew it was too soon. Fortunately it was after the cross-team chat was disabeled because my team started to 'give away' my position.

I decided to wait for him to almost finish the cap, knowing his allies were getting closer. Meanwhile the Skoda was driving circles at full speed in the cap, and I realized hitting him would not be easy... Just before I took the shot one or both of his allies entered my view range and were driving to the cap. I waited till the cap was at 90% and shot the Skoda, good hit and a litle lucky tracked as well. Of course now they spotted me and I went full speed zig zagging away (towards the Skoda). Plunged through the river still dodging shots but made it to behind the cover of buildings, when time finally ran out and I won!

My most exiting and best WOT experience ever, in my favourite tank the ELC.

Please don't wreck the ELC!

Edit: replay link http://wotreplays.com/site/3356900#stats

I can not watch anymore because client reasons... Interested to hear how good my memory of the situation was though...

Edit 2: why the *** did you not post in the gameplay section? then we would have probably gotten more and better stories.

Edited by gunslingerXXX, 21 February 2017 - 08:26 AM.

Laatikkomafia #4 Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:27 AM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 23265 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
All of my Kolobanov's medals are with the ELC - one of which I got on Ruinberg.

DOCT0R_ #5 Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22349 battles
  • [WHEN] WHEN
Highway map. Me vs enemy Caernavon and IS-3, they started capping our north cap. I tucked myself in A(?) line, behind those bushes, and I was able to take down 1000-ish HP from them before one of them spotted me. So close to killing them! :(

Scout21 #6 Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

Private

• Player
  • 30166 battles
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P

Well it’s too many greats games to remember, but there is one (without replay) I won’t forget: Malinovka encounter, in the times, when ELC was matched up to tier 9. I was left over with an E75, an AT8 and I think it was an arty against me. There was no way of winning it, but I peacefully kept resetting the capping E75, while watching the AT8 coming down the hill trying to reach cap. Arty was blind shooting all nice bushes and I was on open field shooting my 5 shots HE at the well angled E75. They didn’t cap in time and it was a draw, but it felt like wining.

The other lower tier battle was adrenalin pushing with 8 tanks against me,  but I managed with 4 seconds left in the game:

http://wotreplays.co...2860266#details

Ace tanker, Duelist, Fire for Effect, Kolobanov, Pascucci, Pool, High Caliber, Naidin and Top Gun

Cheers

Scout21

tankisheer #7 Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 42070 battles
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P

My stories with ELC :

- be one shoted by several High alpha damage tanks ;

- be rammed and killed easily ;

- be tracked on open field when I do a bad jump ;

- be still spoted while you think become unspoted and be killed by only one shot ;

- be killed by a light or an artie because you miss them at point blank and you are still reloading when they shot ;

But sometimes you do a great game with a lot of stress and with real pleasure (even lost games).

ELC is like a woman : be kind, know her, give some gift (like a camo and a good crew) and you could have a reward. Do only one mistake and your are a dead man !

Edited by tankisheer, 22 February 2017 - 04:41 PM.

MonytoPoland #8 Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 41035 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

best light ever :)

http://wotreplays.co...and-amx_elc_bis

lafeel #9 Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:57 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4964 battles
  • [LAFIE] LAFIE

Tier nine game, back when scouts still got +4 mm.

High point of the game? Killing a ISU, and penning several other tanks.

Bonus point, the enemy team included a 13-90, and the high point of his game was bouncing a 90mm ap shell from me. :D

thuering #10 Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:50 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 40735 battles
  • [KNOUT] KNOUT

Sorry for wall of text.

I played World of Tanks from (started) July 2013 to January 2015 - i was not that good (January 2015 i was at about 950 WN8 and 49.3% WR). I made about 13k games in that time. I didn't knew anything about ELC in that phase, i thought it was total crap with a very inaccurate, bad gun. I played (dying) it for some (bad) matches and got the AMX 12t. Then i had a pause for 11 months and played WoT again in December 2015 until now. 

Early 2016 was my first real try to come out of noob-existence - i started to study the game mechanics and watched a lot of tutorials and visited the forum and stuff... and in mid-February i saw that QuickyBaby "Mega Troll" YouTube-Video with son-doe-hoe-chi-gae in his ELC. I was electrified! Maybe some of you knew that replay. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMgmDeEm4wA

Then i watched some other videos about the ELC and had a look for some ELC-Guides. I re-buyed the tank and immediately fell in love with it. This love had resulted in over 9400 games on it in the last 12 month. 

After some games i did my ace tanker on it, i was super excited. After about 70 games i got my first gun mark, i was freaking out. After 250 games i got my second gun mark - happiness was there. Before that happened, i noticed the clan [ELC-P]. I had the wish, that i'll join them one day. I checked for their entry conditions. Most important: 50% WR overall, 55% on ELC and 3 gun marks on it. So i had a goal. I had already reached 50% WR overall and 55% WR on ELC. But that third gun mark... -.-

I looked for ELC gameplay of the real TOP players on YouTube, tried to adapt what i was seeing there and after long, long 900 games i did it to my third gun mark. I didn't ask ELC-P immediately to join. I wanted to improve my ELC stats / skills before joining. I'd saw all that super good(!) ELC players in that clan. Players with more than 14000 games on ELC - so they were on the same amount of games as son-doe-hoe-chi-gae from the SEA server (that guy from the QuickyBaby-Videos). Players with over 70% win rate (!) on it. Players with more than 1300 (!) average damage on it. Players with more than 1200 (!) average spot damage on it. And - for me the most impressive until today - players with a survival rate of more than 64% (!!!!!!!!!111111) on it! With that number of games on ELC my demands on my own skills raised. I tried my best and i was just about to reaching my goal of 600 avg damage in the service record for ELC. But suddenly another homeless (clan-less) ELC-driver that i had met while driving ELC joined ELC-P directly after getting the 3rd gun mark. So i had to do too ;)

I joined ELC-P. Directly after joining i got into a ELC platoon with the clan commander and another very experienced ELC driver. I managed to get a top gun in the very first game as an ELC-P member :) I'll never forget that. http://wotreplays.com/site/2935915

In the following weeks and months i sadly realized, that i'm not a fan of platooning with other experienced ELC-drivers. With guys that i can train and teach by myself it's ok, i am doing fine on that. I had several "padawan", some of them did become really good ELC tankers. One of them even got 3 marks on it and joined ELC-P too. Why i don't like platooning with other experienced ELC tankers that much? Hmm, i think it's because of my play style. I have a very low surviving rate of 25% to 35%. I play the ELC often (not always) in a very aggressive style, going into close combat with other tanks (if i see a chance) or doing shots that will 100% let me get spotted. I don't do these "mistakes" because i do not know better, i just do them because of... erm... fun i think. And that's wrong, seen by an statistically way. So i dont want to embarrass my clan mates with my play style. And a real TOP-player told me, that i am one of the best offensive / aggressive ELC tankers he knows, so... ;) Nonetheless i managed to get up to ~63% WR with that play style - random / solo. My 59% overall WR on ELC is still raising, even if it gets really really slow - because my ELC history is now over 9400 games long.

The ELC gave me a lot of fun and so i was ready to put a lot of money into it. For a half year i bought a LOT of personal reserves to push my ELC crew to the limits. Now i am shortly before a 8 skill crew:

After "just" 1000 games on ELC i was very angry that i didnt choose a girl crew for the ELC. And i am STILL thinking about to do that. A clan mate has done that from beginning. He has just choosen his 9th skill and has like me something about 9000 games on it. So he has choosen the LAST selectable skill for his driver. Amazing! And i am very sad that i haven't done it.

Driving the ELC has teached me a LOT. I'd raised from a below average/average to a good/very good player. I can reach blue and violet stats not only on ELC or other light tanks, i can do it nowadays on mediums and heavies also. Because:

- ELC teached me vision / camo mechanics

- ELC teached me penetration / aiming for weak spots

- ELC teached me positioning

- ELC teached me to look at the mini map

- ELC teached me to turn lost battles / to carry a game

Before playing ELC, i had super bad stats on my Super Pershing (40% WR after more than 450 battles) and on my IS-3. Now i "repaired" them a bit. From ~35% MoE to 2 gun marks each in a couple of days. Thanks to the ELC, an excellent teacher of game mechanics. OK, ELC won't teach you how to use your armor, but that's another thing.

So, now i wrote my complete ELC story down here. I know, it's nonsense, but maybe i have answered the thread title as good as i can - for myself. If Wargaming will really nerf the ELC as they planned, i will stop playing this game. So much time, money and nerves that i have invested - everything for the a55, if they nerf it so hard. And i have to say: sorry for my bad english. I hope everyone can understand what i wrote down here.

After all this idiotic nonsense / wall of text: 3 of my most favored replays. My two first Kolobanov medals and a last-second-match with great team work. I had more than twenty 3k+ damage games on ELC - but a REAL "game of my life" match is still waiting...

Edited by thuering, 24 February 2017 - 11:05 PM.

Clearways #11 Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:06 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 40053 battles
Thanks Thuering: bought a big smile to my face :-)

gunslingerXXX #12 Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:53 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 12443 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

View PostClearways, on 25 February 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

Thanks Thuering: bought a big smile to my face :-)

Same here, impressive story!

UrQuan #13 Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:50 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21298 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I'm far from as good with the ELC as some folks above, mainly because i love my tanks slow & armored.

Yet of all the lights, the ELC AMX is my favorite tank because of it's quirky nature. It has awesome speed & acceleration, offset by low viewrange (for a ligth with scout MM) & radiorange (one of the few tanks where it does matter I'd say). Also has that fun look with the small size & 2 antenna's giving it an RC tank look.

The semi-fixed turret also adds to it's character in a way imo, making it very unique to play with the powerful gun.

I really hope they will stand down from changing the ELC, because right now it's a fun & odd tank to play, even when you're not really good at it (like me) It's one of my stress-relief tanks simply because it's so much fun racing around the battlefield and doing hit & runs with the tank (charge in, fire & speed away like the devil himself is chasing you!)

A very fun moment I had with it recently was the enemy chasing me on Sacred Valley:

Dodge & weave folks, dodge & weave!

The chase went something like this:

With the difference that the 'cops' in the end got blasted away by my team that charged in to help. That was helluva lot of fun to drive around in the town with those 4 chasing me. That in essence is the ELC for me, getting chased & getting away with it (and lure the enemy through this into your team's guns!).

Edited by UrQuan, 26 February 2017 - 11:51 AM.

thuering #14 Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 40735 battles
  • [KNOUT] KNOUT
And up.

Hero2107 #15 Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:35 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11987 battles

Me and a G.W Panther against a Isu 152 and 2 other tanks. Isu 152 is chasing me down, I go around a corner but just after I’ve gone around I go in full reverse. The Isu (who obviously makes a way wider turn) flies right past me and before he knows I’m sitting right behind him, blow his tracks off and wait for arty to blow him to pieces. 

I hope it makes any sense to you.:P

Also I can’t forget all the side hugging I’ve done to some heavies. The helpless japanese heavies were the best.

Just got my 3 mark but unfortunately it feels like no more than an invisible turtle these days. Man I miss my elc...  

A question, is the elc even 90 comparable to the old elc amx regarding it’s speed? I don’t really mind the mediocre gun but the camo and size seem great.

mvg

Edited by Hero2107, 22 September 2018 - 10:52 PM.

doctorfrag #16 Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:50 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 31011 battles

I cant really answer as I didnt play it in the pre nerf state, but by the sounds of it, it would have been a lot of fun. maybe these new wheeled AMX Panhard vehicles will be similar... fast acceleration top speed but low view range and ok guns....

I play most of the AMX line and enjoy them and play the best with them.

I run the ELC and Even 90 both with gasoline to get bit more power.

The ELC with this setup gives 29.29 hp/ton (Old ELC pre nerf 40.6 hp/tonne)

The Even 90 has 26.29 hp/tonne but much better ground resistances so feels quicker

The Even 90 has a great top speed, feels almost too fast as hitting a twig will send you flying! but the acceleration is just ok, with this setup it accelerates meh,... make sure you avoid obstacles and it will keep up with most of the Amx line to the first spotting position due to its good top speed.

gunslingerXXX #17 Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:27 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 12443 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
I'm looking forward to the wheeled vehicles as well, wishing to get the old ELC feeling back... hope for the best!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users