Spall Liners on arty

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Darth_Clicker #1 Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58431 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

Here is a clip from a battle where my Heavy Spall Liner and Controlled Impact skill on the driver came through in a big way.  This illustrates why I have a Spall Liner on some of my artys.  Controlled Impact is a definite on my drivers.  This driver only has 93% on controlled impact at the moment.  The benefit at 100% would have been greater.

T92 with a Heavy Spall Liner and 93% Controlled Impact Skill on Driver vs BC-25t.

Damage to my T-92: 247
Damage to the BC-25t: 659

Edited by Darth_Clicker, 14 March 2017 - 08:53 AM.

Somnorila #2 Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 57153 battles
Everyone with it's own i guess. It's good but I would choose controlled impact only as a 5th skill because i feel that camo,bia,smooth ride and clutch braking are more useful more often. And with spall liner it's basically the same. You get use of it when enemy arties are countering and you get a near miss or when you get rammed. So again pretty rare and even more rare when it actually counts. You either get one hit or get a near miss without dying with or without spall liner, it's more about luck and your insight to relocate or not. And if an enemy finds you, getting rammed is not that common as most of the times you'll be killed by a shell. For the times i am left alone, or in a 1v1 situation or even when i go forward to help my last living mate to share, to be bait or to intimidate the enemy i still find binocs way more useful than spall liner. 

KLguns #3 Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 49272 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
No, arty should have a HE multiplier, when arty is shot by HE it should recieve 50% more damage of it, than any other tank.

Somnorila #4 Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:23 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 57153 battles

View PostKLguns, on 14 March 2017 - 10:09 AM, said:

No, arty should have a HE multiplier, when arty is shot by HE it should recieve 50% more damage of it, than any other tank.

I disagree. But i would like to see a module damage rework, in the sense that no matter with what kind of shell your tank is hit, only the first module touched gets damaged. This would somewhat influence player skill, meaning that aiming for specific modules will make sense and will not mostly be because of luck, speaking here mostly about internal modules. But this change will also mean that being hit by arty will not damage more than one module or crew member which will make it less annoying. This will also make your kits much more valuable and usable, at the same time you will be free to use much less of them overall which it's a good thing if you ask me. 

Edited by Somnorila, 14 March 2017 - 10:51 AM.

Darth_Clicker #5 Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58431 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostSomnorila, on 14 March 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

Everyone with it's own i guess. It's good but I would choose controlled impact only as a 5th skill because i feel that camo,bia,smooth ride and clutch braking are more useful more often. And with spall liner it's basically the same. You get use of it when enemy arties are countering and you get a near miss or when you get rammed. So again pretty rare and even more rare when it actually counts. You either get one hit or get a near miss without dying with or without spall liner, it's more about luck and your insight to relocate or not. And if an enemy finds you, getting rammed is not that common as most of the times you'll be killed by a shell. For the times i am left alone, or in a 1v1 situation or even when i go forward to help my last living mate to share, to be bait or to intimidate the enemy i still find binocs way more useful than spall liner. 

It is my 4th skill on this driver.  I didn't take camo yet because the base camo rating of this arty is not the best in the world.  And when it fires, tanks over on the next map can spot it.  The main reason why I have it on this particular arty is because of counter arty indeed.  3 of the 5 tier X artys have large splash radii and the T92 is very slow to move. 

I sort of agree with you on the binocs opinion.  I have binocs on my M44, GW Panther, and BC 155 58.  I have had binocs on all of the tier IX and X artys and didn't find myself in many positions where the extra view range was often a big benefit.  A GW E100, similar big-[edited]arty is not going to win the spotting battle with most tanks very often.  But, as you said, to each his own.  I fully understand the logic behind binocs vs Spall Liner.

Darth_Clicker #6 Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58431 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostKLguns, on 14 March 2017 - 10:09 AM, said:

So you want to increase the chances of a tank one shot destroying arty?  I always thought that most anti arty players felt that one shot destruction was unwanted in the game.

KLguns #7 Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 49272 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDarth_Clicker, on 14 March 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

So you want to increase the chances of a tank one shot destroying arty?  I always thought that most anti arty players felt that one shot destruction was unwanted in the game.

LOL, read again, when arty is SHOT by HE, meaning you are sitting there in your bush, and the enemy is shooting at you with HE, you will recieve 50% MORE damage than otherwise...:P

Somnorila #8 Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 57153 battles

View PostKLguns, on 14 March 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

LOL, read again, when arty is SHOT by HE, meaning you are sitting there in your bush, and the enemy is shooting at you with HE, you will recieve 50% MORE damage than otherwise...:P

Haha.. You is who should read again because he understood what you meant. He just stated that anti arty players are usually vocal against arty mainly because of its one shot capability. So going on that thought, wouldn't be fair to assume that killing an arty in one shot should be treated in the same way? You know, because increasing HE damage only against arty will ultimately increase the chances of any tank to kill it in one shot...

Darth_Clicker #9 Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58431 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostKLguns, on 14 March 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

First of all, I understood completely.  No need to read again.  Maybe you should try reading again and understanding as I think it is you who doesn't understand what was written.  Some tanks already have enough alpha damage to kill every arty in the game with a single shot.  Why do they need 50% more?  And why in the world would you want to encourage and enable one shot destruction more?   And, if you do, do you support fairness and make the same rule applicable to tanks when hit by an arty's HE shell? 

Secondly, I stopped sitting in bushes a long time ago.  In case you don't know, sitting behind the bush is much more effective.

And finally, I would thank you for not trying to hijack threads.  If you want to discuss the merits of having a spall liner on your M7 Priest, your M37, or your T1 HMC then I will be happy to oblige.  Otherwise, feel free to start your own thread to introduce your plan to fix arty.

Edited by Darth_Clicker, 14 March 2017 - 03:09 PM.

DeathByDribbling #10 Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28805 battles

The heavy spall liner gave you 30% extra to your armour (25) in reduction of damage (so about 8).  All this only does anything if a very stupid 25 ton tank decides to ram your 60 ton tank at speed.  The weight difference is why the BC died and you lived, as it rammed you the controlled impact didn't increase damage, and all CI + spall liner did is reduce your damage by about 40.  So nearly worthless if you ask me.

Edited by DeathByDribbling, 15 March 2017 - 12:53 PM.

Darth_Clicker #11 Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:31 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58431 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostDeathByDribbling, on 15 March 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

The heavy spall liner gave you 30% extra to your armour (25) in reduction of damage (so about 8).  All this only does anything if a very stupid 25 ton tank decides to ram your 60 ton tank at speed.  The weight difference is why the BC died and you lived, as it rammed you the controlled impact didn't increase damage, and all CI + spall liner did is reduce your damage by about 40.  So nearly worthless if you ask me.

Good point on the spall liner and the increased weight/increase in armor effectiveness.  Controlled impact is effective if your tank is moving.  My T92 was moving so it both increased damage dealt and decreased damage received.  Whether it was the increase weight or the double bean burrito I may have eaten for breakfast, the end result is the same....I survived and my chances of surviving, no matter how small, were increased due to both.  The third spot for equipment on the T92 doesnt have a lot of useful possibilities.  In my opinion, a spall liner is one of the more logical ones.  More for crew/module protection from counter arty splash.

BP_OMowe #12 Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:07 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 24764 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-
Well, two slots goes to the mandatory Enhanced Gun Laying Drive and Gun Rammer, but the third slot is open for suggestions.

captainpigg #13 Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:28 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32788 battles
  • [F-DIV] F-DIV

View PostBP_OMowe, on 07 May 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

Well, two slots goes to the mandatory Enhanced Gun Laying Drive and Gun Rammer, but the third slot is open for suggestions.

Unless its a closed top arty, then its vents all the way.

Zirakss #14 Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16668 battles
  • [U__G] U__G

I normally use camo or binocs as third in an open arty, but the spall liner will reduce the damage from other arty too. Could be a an option. And to survice a ram: Even better!

It served that batchat right! :D

Darth_Clicker #15 Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58431 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostZirakss, on 05 July 2017 - 07:20 AM, said:

I normally use camo or binocs as third in an open arty, but the spall liner will reduce the damage from other arty too. Could be a an option. And to survice a ram: Even better!

It served that batchat right! :D

Currently, I really think the spall liner may have the biggest benefit in that it reduces stun time from counter arty and it seems that I have experienced counter arty more recently.  But, in the end, each player has to decide individually what is the best equipment selection for their own play style and expectations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users