How big is the demand for skil-based MM?

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

Poll: How big is the demand for skil-based MM? (273 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do you want a skill-based Matchmaking (aka Soloqueue) added to the game?

1. Yes, please introduce some kind of skill-based Matchmaking to the game! (89 votes [32.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.60%

2. No, Standard Battles are fine as they are. (184 votes [67.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.40%

Vote Hide poll

Balc0ra #21 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:14 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 58611 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

According to the RU forum? Not many. As unlike EU polls that have 70 votes normally, they usually have a 50K + votes and more or less have said no. Here on EU? Who knows. But then again RU's voice is usually what they go for, as they have 5x more players on peak then highest ever peak. Thus RU has more "paying" customers then EU, SEA and NA combined.

WG are planning for a skilled based MM mode, as in not for randoms. As Wg want random to be just that, random. And if they did make it for randoms, it should be 100% sure it would work. As we all know how hard skill based MM back fired and killed off PVP in AW due to a small mistake. And if WG can't do it 100%, they should not do it either. As I'm actually fine without it.

Edited by Balc0ra, 20 March 2017 - 04:14 AM.

Homer_J #22 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:30 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25918 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBalc0ra, on 20 March 2017 - 03:14 AM, said:

According to the RU forum? Not many. As unlike EU polls that have 70 votes normally, they usually have a 50K + votes and more or less have said no. Here on EU? Who knows.

Well so far I don't think it's going the way OP thought it would.

One_of_Fifteen #23 Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:12 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7625 battles

People want Skillbased MM in order to gain predictable, equal performance among their teammates and the enemy, right? And that´s the problem.

While I performed well with my T-34-2 I was terrible driving my WZ-120. Reason: I had to play the tier 9 tank almost stock. Also I got better in playing WoT over the time, so my overall stats don´t represent my current "skill". A skill-based MM (which is supposed to be nothing else than a Performance-Predicting-MM) has to take a lots of things into account: My recents stats (considering avg. tier vs. the tier of the tank I want to join with), how good the tank I join the battle with will perform (Modules, Equipment, Crew, Consumables) and probably other things I can´t think off right now. Feel free to help me out ^^.

If you want to have a challenging game experience because everbody performs on the same level during the match, these are all things you have to program into the algorythm that picks the players for your battle. If it´s just "skill" - however determined - you don´t have enough information to guarantee an equal setup. That´s why the Ranked Battles (as in WoWS) are imo the best solution. You will come as far as your current skill and your chosen tank will bring you.

LoliPrincess #24 Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:32 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3895 battles
  • [K-ON-] K-ON-

"competitive player"

51 wr. yeah ok man.

jabster #25 Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:54 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12168 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View Postakaitora, on 19 March 2017 - 11:58 PM, said:

Does anyone else desperately want a skill-based Matchmaking Mode in this game (while keeping the good old Random Battles available aswell)? I just miss meaningful, challenging games in this game right now and i can't seem to find a clan/ranked team to play around with all the time. Just maximizing dmg. output to grind Win8 doesn't seem meaningful enough to me and just seems like a dead end in terms of long-term motivation. If there was some sort of ranked mode, the tactical, team-oriented aspect of the game would become a far greater focus as it is pretty negligible right now as your only measurement of skill and standing in the game is how much dmg. you pull off per match.

I know many people want a skill-based MM mode of some sort and i also can't see why it's not in the game yet apart from the wish for it not being voiced loudly enough by the community perhaps.

Well the good news is that WG are going to introduce some sort of ranked battle mode. Whether it gives you those more meaning games that you wish for is yet to be seen.

jabster #26 Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:17 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12168 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostBalc0ra, on 20 March 2017 - 03:14 AM, said:

WG are planning for a skilled based MM mode, as in not for randoms. As Wg want random to be just that, random. And if they did make it for randoms, it should be 100% sure it would work. As we all know how hard skill based MM back fired and killed off PVP in AW due to a small mistake. And if WG can't do it 100%, they should not do it either. As I'm actually fine without it.

It doesn't have to be 100% perfect just noticeable better at achieving whatever skill-based MM is supposed to do.

Excavatus #27 Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18177 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

It is logically and mechanically impossible in WOT for SMM to work...

It cannot work, It wont work..

Ulicum #28 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39462 battles
  • [3VS27] 3VS27

View Postjabster, on 20 March 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

Well the good news is that WG are going to introduce some sort of ranked battle mode. Whether it gives you those more meaning games that you wish for is yet to be seen.

And after half year or so this new ranked battle mode will follow historic battles to wherever it is now.

jabster #29 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:36 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12168 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostExcavatus, on 20 March 2017 - 05:46 AM, said:

That depends on what you mean by works. SBMM is a solution, not a problem in its own right.

jabster #30 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12168 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostUlicum, on 20 March 2017 - 07:30 AM, said:

And after half year or so this new ranked battle mode will follow historic battles to wherever it is now.

I have a feeling you may be right.

qpranger #31 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 27500 battles
Many of those better players who want skill-based MM have given up on this game ages ago, doubt they would see this poll.

G01ngToxicCommand0 #32 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36902 battles

View Postakaitora, on 20 March 2017 - 12:58 AM, said:

Does anyone else desperately want a skill-based Matchmaking Mode in this game (while keeping the good old Random Battles available aswell)? I just miss meaningful, challenging games in this game right now and i can't seem to find a clan/ranked team to play around with all the time. Just maximizing dmg. output to grind Win8 doesn't seem meaningful enough to me and just seems like a dead end in terms of long-term motivation. If there was some sort of ranked mode, the tactical, team-oriented aspect of the game would become a far greater focus as it is pretty negligible right now as your only measurement of skill and standing in the game is how much dmg. you pull off per match.

I know many people want a skill-based MM mode of some sort and i also can't see why it's not in the game yet apart from the wish for it not being voiced loudly enough by the community perhaps.

The only skill based matchmaking the game needs is to place players on teams based on their winrate in predefined winrate brackets such as <=50% &>50% and make it completely random which skill level team the players will face. Player winrate checked once each month to see which bracket they belong in.

shishx_the_animal #33 Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

Colonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 29213 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View Postatomskytten, on 20 March 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

The only skill based matchmaking the game needs is to place players on teams based on their winrate in predefined winrate brackets such as <=50% &>50% and make it completely random which skill level team the players will face. Player winrate checked once each month to see which bracket they belong in.

Why?

LittleLILI #34 Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 48447 battles
  • [FRITE] FRITE

View PostExcavatus, on 20 March 2017 - 06:46 AM, said:

Ok.

But why?

Can you explain what would be mathematically wrong  ( " logically and mechanically" ) ?

Edited by LittleLILI, 20 March 2017 - 09:45 AM.

Enderman21 #35 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 25691 battles
  • [-BSF-] -BSF-
For Christ's sake, stop whinning about this skill-based MM. Just learn how to play and stop complaining about everything. ''WN8 isn't important, statistics isn't important'' is just an excuse of what bad players you are. Get yourselves together.

tajj7 #36 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 22714 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

You are getting a ranked mode.

When that hits we will then have to deal with the threads from people moaning about their crap teams and listing all the excuses as to why they haven't ranked up further.

Excavatus #37 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18177 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postjabster, on 20 March 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

That depends on what you mean by works. SBMM is a solution, not a problem in its own right.

View PostLittleLILI, on 20 March 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

Ok.

But why?

Can you explain what would be mathematically wrong  ( " logically and mechanically" ) ?

Ok first of all..

SBMM creates somewhat equally skilled teams to fight against each other.

That means, every team member counts..

So in a game where there is no respawn... snowball effect will be much severe.. much faster.

Because your teams were be leveled against each other in the condition of 15 vs 15 players..

this is the first reason why SBMM wont work in WOT. Because there is no respawn.

For the second reason, SBMM works with more stable players with more stable gears..

For example.. I got my armor, and got my skills and got my weapos in a competetive FPS and fight with them for a long time.

I cannot drastically change my gear...

Take this as an example..

My Jpanther... I got %47 WR, 900 WN8, a turretles semi-mobile TD...

My T67... %57 WR, 1800 WN8... turreted fast TD...

My recent is %58 WR, with 1900 WN8,

My overall is %51 WR, with 1200 WN8...

So how the system calculates my skill to put into SBMM... which parameter does it use?

What if it uses my Overall WR when I get into a game with my T67???

What if it uses my recent WR when I get into a game with my Jpanter.??

which one is fair for me? or my team? or for the enemy?

The thing is, the system has to find my skill by using, my stats with the tank I choose, combining them with the recent stats and overall stats all together.

And the system has to do that after everytime I push battle... and has to do that everytime for 30 players...

and coming to the start again..

lets say system can do that without boring people to death in the que...

What If I drown on the derpenberg at the start... what it I KV2 player thinks that it is ok for him to one shot me from the start..

now your team is not balanced on skill.. because you lost 1 player.. in which he used to balance to team together..

nor for the last point, but not the least..

what about the tier difference? what about the tank type?

lets take excatly the same 3 man platoon twice.. with same exact numbers on everything...

now.. put them in Defenders in a tier 8 match.. and put the other group into 3 men M44 platoon on the opposing team..

same guys.. same skills.. same match.. enemy teams..

do you think their affect will be the same?

do you think their affect on the balance of the skill will be the same?

So SBMM after all these calculations, have to put tank tier and tank type into the equation..

If you accept these points are valid.. then you should accept SBMM is an impossible thing to do in WOT..

If you dont accept... I really like to hear what you think about..

HugSeal #38 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20316 battles
  • [SWEC] SWEC

View Postakaitora, on 20 March 2017 - 01:02 AM, said:

Mind explaining what numbers have to do with it not being competetive? League of Legends has a 5vs5 without "real communication" as you said - do you think it's Ranked Solo Queue is not competetive?

Ehhm, everything. Have you ever played LoL, DotA or any of those games? You have 3 (or 4 if you go jungle, but that isn't really prefferred atm) lanes to go. You have characters that pretty much are made for one single lane vs some certain heroes. You have five people to coordinate on a team instead of 15. You have 45 mionite games wioth a LOT more time to respond to events.

I just don't understand, how do you not see that there is a difference between coordinating 5 players in a game with more fixed positions, a useable in-game voice comm (Another question, how do mobas not have real communication?), more strictly defined goals and a LOT more time to coordinate and respond to threats?

Have you ever held five rather large pens in your hand? Because if you have then how come you cannot hold 15even larger rocks? It is basically the same, jist a whole other beast?

Edited by Lill_Rutger, 20 March 2017 - 11:03 AM.

Solstad1069 #39 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

Major

• Player
  • 35637 battles
Just leave it as it is and uninstall xvm so u have all white tanks.

Solstad1069 #40 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:02 AM

Major

• Player
  • 35637 battles

View PostLill_Rutger, on 20 March 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

Ehhm, everything. Have you ever played LoL, DotA or any of those games? You have 3 (or 4 if you go jungle, but that isn't really prefferred atm) lanes to go. You have characters that pretty much are made for one single lane vs some certain heroes. You have five people to coordinate on a team instead of 15. You have 45 mionite games wioth a LOT more time to respond to events.

I just don't understand, how do you not see that there is a difference between coordinating 5 players in a game with more fixed positions, a useable in-game voice comm (Another question, how do mobas not have real communication?) and more strictly defined goals?

Have you ever held five rather large pens in your hand? Because if you have then how come you cannot hold 15even larger rocks? It is basically the same, jist a whole other beast?

My son plays Leauge of Legend and he sits beside me and complain even more about his teammates than i do playing WOT.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users