Department for the correct use of the word 'lose'.

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

CoDiGGo #21 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15024 battles
  • [7SENS] 7SENS
Thx, finally useful post

SaintMaddenus #22 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 36975 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Though generally in support of the majority of this argument the phrase  "LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSERRRRRRRRRRRRRS"    does come to mind as being appropriate.

r00barb #23 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26151 battles

View PostSpurtung, on 04 April 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

That gives you joy?

Yes. Is there something amiss with loving language?

View PostBicycleOfDeath, on 04 April 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

Maybe this mysterious "of" will start showing up in other places in the future, like "I of three looser tanks in my garage"

Unlikely as it's a phoneme replacement for 'have' following 'could', 'should' or 'would' thanks to lazy articulation of the contraction, i.e. could've should've, would've. I'd say a more likely future possessive would be "I got free looser tonks".

And don't get me started on the correct use of less/fewer. :angry:

Edited by Strappster, 04 April 2017 - 04:06 PM.

Wintermute_1 #24 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:07 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 48329 battles

View PostSpurtung, on 04 April 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

Not to mention when they say 'loose'...

Absolutely! This too, happens all the time. 

Additionally, annoyingly when i respond 'It's going to be tighter than you think', nobody ever gets it. 

OIias_of_Sunhillow #25 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:08 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 25797 battles

View PostTidal_Force, on 04 April 2017 - 02:28 PM, said:

Should of been faster.

That's the one that raises my hackles.

Gvozdika #26 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38164 battles

Ah give them a break - most Europeans with English as a second language speak it better than most of us native speakers trying to use other languages ourselves.

I've been told my spoken German is comically dire, my Russian is just-about understandable in spoken form (although Russians are generally so surprised a Westerner uses their language that they let it pass) and my French doesn't go beyond 'I don't understand', 'That's Life', various animal names and the commonly used word for 'S***'. I do know some phrases in Polish but my pronunciation of them is awful - plus the 'educational' terminology I've picked up from WoT which you probably shouldn't use when standing within punching distance of your listener.

So if someone doesn't employ the correct case/tense/form of the verb 'to lose' - I'm more than happy to let it slide. At least they are trying to communicate I suppose. 

Wintermute_1 #27 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 48329 battles

View PostHeidenSieker, on 04 April 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

"No one"? It's "noone", surely?

I guess someone correcting noone was inevitable.

For some reason my tablet auto separates no and one, possibly correct either way.

Wintermute_1 #28 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:29 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 48329 battles

View PostGvozdika, on 04 April 2017 - 04:11 PM, said:

Ah give them a break - most Europeans with English as a second language speak it better than most of us native speakers trying to use other languages ourselves.

I've been told my spoken German is comically dire, my Russian is just-about understandable in spoken form (although Russians are generally so surprised a Westerner uses their language that they let it pass) and my French doesn't go beyond 'I don't understand', 'That's Life', various animal names and the commonly used word for 'S***'. I do know some phrases in Polish but my pronunciation of them is awful - plus the 'educational' terminology I've picked up from WoT which you probably shouldn't use when standing within punching distance of your listener.

So if someone doesn't employ the correct case/tense/form of the verb 'to lose' - I'm more than happy to let it slide. At least they are trying to communicate I suppose. 

You are right of course. Generally speaking I have great admiration for foreign speakers of English, especially considering we are so bloody lazy language-wize ourselves. Personally I'd love to be able to speak another language but i don't have much of an aptitude for it. 

I think 'lose/loose' gets annoying because you almost never see it used correctly, like one incredibly industrious but incompetent language teacher Edited  up the whole of Europe.

This post has been edited by the moderation team due to swearing. 

Edited by VMX, 04 April 2017 - 06:56 PM.

r00barb #29 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26151 battles

View PostGvozdika, on 04 April 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

This. My annoyance is with native English speakers who don't make an effort with their own language. Anyone learning English as a second (or more) language deserves all due credit and significant leeway.

View PostGvozdika, on 04 April 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

... my French doesn't go beyond 'I don't understand', 'That's Life', various animal names and the commonly used word for 'S***'.

Years ago I went backpacking and had a guidebook for getting work abroad. I thought picking grapes looked like a fun, typical backpacker activity and there were some handy phrases in the back of the book which were spelled out phonetically so I learned the French for "do you require any workers for the (grape) harvest?" perfectly.

Much of the harvest was done by machine even then so I had to go into the hills north of Montpellier to find vineyards where the ground was too steep for the harvest to be done by machine. Found said vineyards, found the owner who also ran the local café, cleared my throat and read my line. Unfortunately I hadn't learned the French for anything that could be said in reply to that question and as I'd pronounced it so well, the chap presumed I was fluent and rattled off a reply that I could only shrug at and tell him I didn't understand.

We tried English but as his was limited to, "Wha-utt do you dooo on Zaturr-day? Ay plai voot-ball!" we didn't get far with that either. Eventually we muddled through with a pencil, paper and various hand gestures and anything more complicated required waiting for his son to get home from school, where he was learning English. Great time (until the tent flooded) and the cash-in-hand payment funded the next couple of months travel. :)

Shivva #30 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29880 battles
  • [J_A_G] J_A_G

There's a great line from a comedian (can't remember offhand who it is) that fits in well here.

'If someone is too lazy to learn English then I'm not going to learn their language and if they have learned English then there is no need for me to learn their language' :D

StinkyStonky #31 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32508 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

View PostWintermute_1, on 04 April 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

I'm beginning to think no one with English as a second language on WoT understands how to use the word 'lose'.

I could't care fewer.

Its you're problem knot mine.

Gvozdika #32 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38164 battles

View PostStrappster, on 04 April 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

This. My annoyance is with native English speakers who don't make an effort with their own language. Anyone learning English as a second (or more) language deserves all due credit and significant leeway.

Years ago I went backpacking and had a guidebook for getting work abroad. I thought picking grapes looked like a fun, typical backpacker activity and there were some handy phrases in the back of the book which were spelled out phonetically so I learned the French for "do you require any workers for the (grape) harvest?" perfectly.

Much of the harvest was done by machine even then so I had to go into the hills north of Montpellier to find vineyards where the ground was too steep for the harvest to be done by machine. Found said vineyards, found the owner who also ran the local café, cleared my throat and read my line. Unfortunately I hadn't learned the French for anything that could be said in reply to that question and as I'd pronounced it so well, the chap presumed I was fluent and rattled off a reply that I could only shrug at and tell him I didn't understand.

We tried English but as his was limited to, "Wha-utt do you dooo on Zaturr-day? Ay plai voot-ball!" we didn't get far with that either. Eventually we muddled through with a pencil, paper and various hand gestures and anything more complicated required waiting for his son to get home from school, where he was learning English. Great time (until the tent flooded) and the cash-in-hand payment funded the next couple of months travel. :)

I like it. 

Pencil + Paper + Gesturing Frantically is essentially the Universal Translator. Can't fault it. 

wsatnutter #33 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 26162 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
you win some and loose some

jabster #34 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12649 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostStrappster, on 04 April 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

Personally I find the 'language lawyers' more problematic as they want to fix the language in place instead of letting it be a living language.

PowJay #35 Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38579 battles

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Edited by PowJay, 04 April 2017 - 04:55 PM.

Slyspy #36 Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14511 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostWintermute_1, on 04 April 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

I guess someone correcting noone was inevitable.

For some reason my tablet auto separates no and one, possibly correct either way.

Noone isn't entirely incorrect, but really you should have a space or a hyphen. 

View PostWintermute_1, on 04 April 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

You are right of course. Generally speaking I have great admiration for foreign speakers of English, especially considering we are so bloody lazy language-wize ourselves. Personally I'd love to be able to speak another language but i don't have much of an aptitude for it. 

I think 'lose/loose' gets annoying because you almost never see it used correctly, like one incredibly industrious but incompetent language teacher f*cked up the whole of Europe.

Was going to "Like" your comment about the teacher because I have often thought the same. But then I noticed a wayward "z". 

View Postjabster, on 04 April 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

Personally I find the 'language lawyers' more problematic as they want to fix the language in place instead of letting it be a living language.

The trouble with letting mistakes slide is that when the language is used as a lingua franca the correct meaning can be lost, especially if the context is uncertain to one or both readers. A stray apostrophe or the wrong tense is not too difficult to understand but it is different if words with a totally different meaning are used (like lose/loose or more fun/funnier). A language can be both living and correct. 

YuSless #37 Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:05 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 35856 battles

View PostStinkyStonky, on 04 April 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

I could't care fewer.

Its you're problem knot mine.

:)  Fewer/less drives me nuts.

However, "Could care less" is one of my many bete noires (I can't find the little hat for bete). It makes no sense

Jigabachi #38 Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I'm glad that I'm not the only gremmer natzi here.
Loose/lose, your/you're and, this is the absolute worst, missing punctuation.
I misspell things, fail with adj./adv. every now and then and I also use quite bumpy Denglish at times... but seeing people who really put ZERO effort into their communication is like... it makes me mad.

And yes, instead of being thankful, most of those special people decide that a lame insult is the better answer...

Edited by Jigabachi, 04 April 2017 - 05:17 PM.

wsatnutter #39 Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 26162 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
some people on the forums get uppity cos I never use fullstops

jabster #40 Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12649 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostSlyspy, on 04 April 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

The trouble with letting mistakes slide is that when the language is used as a lingua franca the correct meaning can be lost, especially if the context is uncertain to one or both readers. A stray apostrophe or the wrong tense is not too difficult to understand but it is different if words with a totally different meaning are used (like lose/loose or more fun/funnier). A language can be both living and correct. 

I agree which is why I used the term language lawyers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users