Jump to content


Time to Buff the KV5 's 167 mm penetration

kv5

  • Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Timewarp76 #1 Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:23 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Clan Commander
  • 20039 battles
  • 648
  • [BBMM] BBMM
  • Member since:
    04-10-2013

With the introduction of the "new breed" premium vehicles that have the more than favorable armor, pen and mobility. I think it's only fair that the KV5 at a minimum get a penetration buff. The current 167 penetration is far less than even the tier 7 light tanks (which IMO is a real shame, there should never be a light that has a higher pen than a heavy tank). I'm not talking anything extreme mind you, but at least bring the penetration up to that of the other preferential matchmaking tanks, like the IS6, T-34-3 etc. which all have 175mm. 175mm would at least even the playing field.

 

For those of you that own the KV5, what are your thoughts?



Brownape #2 Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 7680 battles
  • 392
  • Member since:
    01-10-2015
I was surprised reading this that it's so low. Don't own it, don't find it difficult to play against either but yes I think it could do with a buff then

Velvet_Underground #3 Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 22243 battles
  • 3,193
  • Member since:
    12-19-2014
175 is just as bad, such a buff wouldn't change anything

NettiWelho #4 Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:41 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 12334 battles
  • 145
  • Member since:
    04-26-2015
O-Ho was much worse penetration on gold shells, 150 :sceptic:, and doesn't even literally have premium shells for the high velocity gun thats supposed to fire AP shells.

Edited by NettiWelho, 07 April 2017 - 01:46 PM.


Geno1isme #5 Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 44041 battles
  • 8,507
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
  • Member since:
    09-03-2013

Why do people always want more pen? I'd rather have less weakspots, better mobility, better gun-handling or more DPM (and yes, I know it already has best-in-class DPM) to enhance it's strengths.

And 167mm pen to 175mm means practically no difference at all anyway.



NettiWelho #6 Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 12334 battles
  • 145
  • Member since:
    04-26-2015

View PostGeno1isme, on 07 April 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

Why do people always want more pen?

Because it sucks if you play a slow and heavy tank and can't simply can't pen an enemy tank of the same tier no matter the ammo type.


Edited by NettiWelho, 07 April 2017 - 02:02 PM.


ValkyrionX #7 Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:03 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 46263 battles
  • 1,175
  • [5FPS] 5FPS
  • Member since:
    02-07-2015

View Posttimewarp76, on 07 April 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

With the introduction of the "new breed" premium vehicles that have the more than favorable armor, pen and mobility. I think it's only fair that the KV5 at a minimum get a penetration buff. The current 167 penetration is far less than even the tier 7 light tanks (which IMO is a real shame, there should never be a light that has a higher pen than a heavy tank). I'm not talking anything extreme mind you, but at least bring the penetration up to that of the other preferential matchmaking tanks, like the IS6, T-34-3 etc. which all have 175mm. 175mm would at least even the playing field.

 

For those of you that own the KV5, what are your thoughts?

 

is6-wz111-112 ned pen buff to..

Enderman21 #8 Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:05 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 26607 battles
  • 276
  • [-BSF-] -BSF-
  • Member since:
    11-11-2012
175 won't fix anything, trust me. Those new premium vehicles are the only reason I've stopped playing my T-34-3, because I can't do anything when I face them. Even with 200mm pen you will have trouble going through their weakspots reliably. 

Schmeksiman #9 Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:21 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 16405 battles
  • 6,601
  • [INC] INC
  • Member since:
    03-10-2012

View PostEnderman21, on 07 April 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

175 won't fix anything, trust me. Those new premium vehicles are the only reason I've stopped playing my T-34-3, because I can't do anything when I face them. Even with 200mm pen you will have trouble going through their weakspots reliably. 

 

But doesn't T-34-3 have 250 mm of pen?

leggasiini #10 Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:30 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 15163 battles
  • 6,237
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    12-01-2012

View PostNettiWelho, on 07 April 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

O-Ho was much worse penetration on gold shells, 150 :sceptic:

Its derp gun ffs, you are supposed to fire HE +95% of time

 

If it had high pen HEAT it would be disgustingly broken. Do you think that E100 at tier 8 would be balanced?


Edited by leggasiini, 07 April 2017 - 02:30 PM.


NettiWelho #11 Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 12334 battles
  • 145
  • Member since:
    04-26-2015

View Postleggasiini, on 07 April 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

Its derp gun ffs, you are supposed to fire HE +95% of time

 

If it had high pen HEAT it would be disgustingly broken. Do you think that E100 at tier 8 would be balanced?

 

Whats the excuse for the O-Ho high velocity gun being a literal handicap? It has absolutely horrible aim time and accuracy compared to pen and damage.

 

The point is the tank has no gun that can pen same tier heavies with AP, even the 105mm high velocity one you have to research.


Edited by NettiWelho, 07 April 2017 - 02:45 PM.


Geno1isme #12 Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 44041 battles
  • 8,507
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
  • Member since:
    09-03-2013

View PostNettiWelho, on 07 April 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

Because it sucks if you play a slow and heavy tank and can't simply can't pen an enemy tank of the same tier no matter the ammo type.

 

Then change your tactics maybe?

 

Thing is, if you want to fight enemy heavies heads on a small penetration buff will help you nothing. Even with 200mm pen you're going to struggle against O-Ho, Defender, Patriot or IS-3s, not to mention T9 Heavies. And if you give it comparable penetration to regular T8 heavies you also have to remove it's special matchmaking. In the end it just becomes a premium version of the KV-4 and loose its unique character completely.



leggasiini #13 Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:56 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 15163 battles
  • 6,237
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    12-01-2012

View PostNettiWelho, on 07 April 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

 

Whats the excuse for the O-Ho high velocity gun being a literal handicap? It has absolutely horrible aim time and accuracy compared to pen and damage.

 

The point is the tank has no gun that can pen same tier heavies with AP, even the 105mm high velocity one you have to research.

 

Ur right on that regard, there is no reason for 10cm to be that bad. WG did say it will get gold ammo but we havent heard much about it since then.

 

However, pointing out 15cm's HEAT having low penetration is still irrelevant. Its derp gun, and its good that it doesnt have high HEAT pen for reason i mentioned. Its super niche ammo that has certain uses, and thats how it should be. 

 

But yea, 10cm having no gold ammo is indeed stupid. 


Edited by leggasiini, 07 April 2017 - 02:56 PM.


dennez #14 Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 17443 battles
  • 4,755
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    02-26-2013
My KV-5 only has 219 pen. Its just a matter of preference.

Shady_Dan #15 Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 11892 battles
  • 4
  • Member since:
    09-13-2012

Your idea is a reaction to power creep, but your solution only makes things worse.

If you want armour to be relevant, buffing pen values isn't the way to go.



basin79 #16 Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 15351 battles
  • 8,763
  • Member since:
    03-13-2012
I'd like to see the prem round be given a good pen buff. That's the only thing that will probably happen to the KV5. Standard AP is fine if you can get up close and shoot through the top of the turret. But I would be nice to occasionally be able to press 2 like the SP and keep your HP.

mortalsatsuma #17 Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 13493 battles
  • 1,669
  • Member since:
    06-13-2014
It's a Russian heavy tank so of course Wargaming will over-buff it at some point in the future whilst ignoring the hordes of under-powered tanks that needs buffs (such as, oh I don't know, 90% of the British tech tree). 

Geno1isme #18 Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:56 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 44041 battles
  • 8,507
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
  • Member since:
    09-03-2013
Anyway, Murazor said they'll basically redesign the KV-5 completely at some point, not just buff/nerf it a little.

arthurwellsley #19 Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 52133 battles
  • 3,188
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
  • Member since:
    05-11-2011
KV-5 has two weapons. One does 219 penetration, the Second is when a one hundred ton tank hits anything at speed, which requires no penetration at all. KV-5 has the most punishing dpm of any premium tier VIII heavy, and if you finish a game without at least some ramming damage, you are doing it wrong.

_Davidge_ #20 Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:28 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 11947 battles
  • 1,963
  • Member since:
    03-20-2015

View Postarthurwellsley, on 07 April 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

KV-5 has two weapons. One does 219 penetration, the Second is when a one hundred ton tank hits anything at speed, which requires no penetration at all. KV-5 has the most punishing dpm of any premium tier VIII heavy, and if you finish a game without at least some ramming damage, you are doing it wrong.

 

Ramming is not so usefull anymore since its targets are now faster than before and penetrate KV 5 stright trough.

 

 

There are still a moments of running downslope towards shitpantied frenchies, but  this is so rare event now, in fact don't remeber I rammed anyone recently.

 

167 mm pen is pathetic, so in my  constitution says that  KV-5 gun gold sprem is legal.


Edited by _Poe, 07 April 2017 - 04:33 PM.






Also tagged with kv5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users