Opinions on the "new" M7 Light tank

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

PowJay #1 Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:40 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31990 battles

Hi, guys. I know that this part of the forum is not so popular. One only has to look at the dates of the most recent threads to know that. It is the place for this question, though.

Is the new M7 light tank worth keeping?

I played the M7 quite some time ago as a medium tank and I enjoyed it enough to consider keeping it. These are my stats in it as a MT.

This would have been a fairly basic crew, retrained with silver and quite possibly only at about 80% in Major Qualification from the M5 Stuart.

I decided that I had enough spare garage slots to go around and recently bought this back, and yes: I didn't realise that it was going to be changed to a light tank and most of it's specifications altered- in name if not actually in fact.

I have ONE major issue, and I am NOT impressed. I was going to train the crew to 100% with Gold and share them with the T28 Pilot MT. Now that idea is totally out of the window, and I really don't want to train five crew members for Gold with this tank and find out that it sucks.

I still intend to use the 57mm/6pdr which I enjoy on a number of my vehicles and so I am very familiar with it. Can you really recommend the 76mm, however? I don't remember how I felt about each gun the first time around.

All honest opinions are welcome, but please try and explain in real terms what is different on the battlefield and not in it's paper specs. I can read those for myself. Thanks, muchly in advance.

Noo_Noo #2 Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20592 battles

No real difference in it to be honest since 9:18 came on board. It always was a light tank and still is and needs to be played that way. Passive scouting and simply spam enemies at distance. Only late game can you close in. 

I've kept mine as I managed to get 2 marks on it. Nearly 3 at one point and I'll have another push for 3 marks one day. Your stats aren't that far behind mine.

lafeel #3 Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4949 battles
  • [LAFIE] LAFIE
Was never all that fond of it as a medium tank. Maybe making it a light tank is exactly what it needed to make me finally like the M7.

Noo_Noo #4 Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20592 battles

View Postlafeel, on 04 May 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

Was never all that fond of it as a medium tank. Maybe making it a light tank is exactly what it needed to make me finally like the M7.

I can believe that. How it was classed as a medium is a real mystery. It was like a light with preferential match making. Perhaps that was the intention. 

lafeel #5 Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4949 battles
  • [LAFIE] LAFIE

View PostNoo_Noo, on 04 May 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

I can believe that. How it was classed as a medium is a real mystery. It was like a light with preferential match making. Perhaps that was the intention. 

Well it was a overgrown Stuart that was attempted to be made into a medium tank. Why on Earth they bothered to do so, let alone build a entire factory from scratch just to build the blessed things, when the M4 was already in service and did everything the M7 did, better, and still had room to grow is anyone's guess.

While I don't have any proof as such I'd be willing to bet good money on that you couldn't stick anything more on that suspension without overloading it, if it wasn't already.

Thats the historical reason anyway. It's one of those tanks (the Crusader is another) that could be classified as either tbh.

Edited by lafeel, 07 May 2017 - 02:01 AM.

PowJay #6 Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:31 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31990 battles

Thanks.

I am still waiting on the half-price crew training which would appear to be a possibility according to the May calendar. I think I will give it a try. I love the Crusader, although I haven't played it since it has officially become a medium tank. That's another WG kick in the crotch- switching the Crusader to a medium so that I can't share the crew with the Mk VIC. Cheers, WG!

L0ddy #7 Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:28 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 78545 battles
  • [TWD] TWD

Quite enjoyed it, popped my chaffee crew in.

Mobility sucks, it's a bit slow and not very good in a scrap.

Bino's, optics & net & food help push the viewrange to maximum spotting range & beyond.

Grabbed 3 stars in 55 games...

Spoiler

:)

Rasenmaehermann #8 Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:00 AM

Private

• Player
  • 28646 battles
  • [DERRP] DERRP

View PostL0ddy, on 07 May 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

Grabbed 3 stars in 55 games

What would you say, was the bigger factor of the combined damage in your case? spotting or own dmg output? just 55 battles is pretty impressive.

I received my 3 MoEs today. previously i had some XP income dips at 94% from b$ such as double detracking. with a noob crew it finally took me like 90 battles for the 3rd mark.

The M7 is an ok tank though I like the similar Crusader a lot more because of the dpm advantage and a much sleekier turret.

Etrinator #9 Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5201 battles

View PostRasenmaehermann, on 13 June 2017 - 01:00 AM, said:

What would you say, was the bigger factor of the combined damage in your case? spotting or own dmg output? just 55 battles is pretty impressive.

I received my 3 MoEs today. previously i had some XP income dips at 94% from b$ such as double detracking. with a noob crew it finally took me like 90 battles for the 3rd mark.

The M7 is an ok tank though I like the similar Crusader a lot more because of the dpm advantage and a much sleekier turret.

He had binos, optics and net equipped so obviously spotting damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users