Jump to content


Message about the SirFoch incident


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
165 replies to this topic

Njial #1 Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

    Head of Community Management

  • WG Staff
  • 6804 battles
  • 12
  • [WG] WG
  • Member since:
    02-02-2014

*
POPULAR

Hello all, we wanted to share an update with you on the recent incident with SirFoch

 

"We at Wargaming have further reviewed the incident of last Friday involving SirFoch and his “Chrysler K GF rant” video, and we believe we could have handled the situation better. We strongly support our players’, including our Community Contributors’, right to speak critically about us and our games. At the same time, in the case of our Community Contributors, we ask that negative comments be made in a reasonably respectful, constructive manner, and SirFoch’s video didn’t do that. In turn, we acted too quickly when we threatened to have YouTube remove SirFoch’s video through a copyright infringement complaint. We have apologized to SirFoch for making that threat, and we are continuing our conversation with him on next steps.

 

We’re committed to doing a better job on this front. We’re going to improve the way we communicate with our Community Contributors, and as part of that effort we will work with them on more detailed, specific guidelines for our Community Contributors to help ensure incidents like this don’t happen again. We’ll also be implementing a more thorough internal review process of our own potential actions which will be used in any future case where we have concerns that a Community Contributor has crossed the line in the language they use.

 

We love our players and our contributors – even the ones who don’t always love us – and we are committed to using this case to grow and improve."



Velvet_Underground #2 Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:51 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 22243 battles
  • 3,171
  • Member since:
    12-19-2014

*
POPULAR

May I ask about the alleged "homophobic slurs" (some of?) you guys mentioned?


Edited by Velvet_Underground, 22 May 2017 - 06:55 PM.


250swb #3 Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 21448 battles
  • 4,785
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-23-2015

Interesting you still call it a 'rant' when most players would consider it a forceful interjection about an important and worrying subject. Would now not be a good time to address SirFoch's concerns instead of keeping the WG aimbot on him alone and sidestepping the important stuff (about the trend in heavy premium tanks).


Edited by 250swb, 22 May 2017 - 07:57 PM.


Coldius #4 Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:07 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 9414 battles
  • 120
  • [SALTY] SALTY
  • Member since:
    07-21-2012

Edited by Coldius, 22 May 2017 - 07:07 PM.


Njial #5 Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

    Head of Community Management

  • WG Staff
  • 6804 battles
  • 12
  • [WG] WG
  • Member since:
    02-02-2014

View PostVelvet_Underground, on 22 May 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

May I ask about the alleged "homophobic slurs" (some of?) you guys mentioned?

 

Hello Velvet_Underground,

 

We don't think it was appropriate in language or tone for a Community Contributor video (SirFoch) but we're not standing by those claims. 


Edited by Njial, 22 May 2017 - 07:14 PM.


ABalazs #6 Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:16 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 9096 battles
  • 154
  • Member since:
    05-01-2012
At the end of the day nobody reflected to the original problem of Sir Foch. You dealt with him quickly because he was saltier then usual - it was like WG staff would be waiting an opportunity to do this - but no answer made about gold-sponge heavy tanks, more and more pay to win elements, those problems which made him angry enough to produce such an offensive vid. I think the community whom you pull your money from, more and more aggressively, deserves a statement about this as well. As "yes, the game will change as this and this, so nobody without a premium tank/account can afford to have fun games on the future" or the opposite.

Al_Xander #7 Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:17 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 19610 battles
  • 54
  • [RORD] RORD
  • Member since:
    02-23-2015

View PostNjial, on 22 May 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

 

Hello Velvet_Underground,

 

We don't think it was appropriate in language or tone for a Community Contributor video (SirFoch) but we're not standing by those claims. 

 

Sorry, I cant find quote of "homophobic slurs" in your answer/

Asghaad #8 Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 13273 battles
  • 3,099
  • [PPDCZ] PPDCZ
  • Member since:
    01-23-2013

View PostNjial, on 22 May 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

 

Hello Velvet_Underground,

 

We don't think it was appropriate in language or tone for a Community Contributor video (SirFoch) but we're not standing by those claims. 

 

If you constantly display that you wont respond to anything less than that it what you will get ...

 

and for the billionth time noone is arguing Foch shouldnt lose CC status, he should not have had it in the first place, but outright BLACKMAIL that went with it was NOT OK ...

 

And your PR departments trying to spin the issue accusing Foch of homophobic and racial slurs is outrageous and DISGUSTING ...

 


Edited by Asghaad, 22 May 2017 - 07:22 PM.


Cobra6 #9 Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:35 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 16314 battles
  • 15,296
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    09-17-2010

*
POPULAR

Aha, so are you going to retract the official statement issued then that SirFoch was being homophobic (which he was not) and that he was doing hate-speech (which he was not) and apologise to him?

 

Or are you going to perpetuate that lie?

 

View PostNjial, on 22 May 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

 

We don't think it was appropriate in language or tone for a Community Contributor video (SirFoch) but we're not standing by those claims

 

So include it in your public apology then, not only did you threaten him with copyright infringement (illegal because he wasn't) you also act defamatory yourselves by calling him a homophobe.....

 

For a "Head of Community Management" this is actually quite an incomplete and lacklustre apology.......This is really the best after 2 days of thinking about it?

 

In the end all that SirFoch did wrong was being a bit rude (matter of perspective) in his video while you as Wargaming on the other hand:

-Falsely threatened copyright action. (apologised)

-In a public statement to news sources falsely accused him of being a homophobe. (not apologised)

-In a public statement to news sources falsely accused him of practising hate-speech. (not apologised)

 

*NONE* of which correct actions or true, and you want us to believe SirFoch is the bad guy here?

 

====

 

But all of this aside, when are you actually going to address the issue *WHY* SirFoch got so upset instead of "smoke and mirrorsing" it up like now: The fact that premium tanks are becoming more and more "Pay 2 Win", directly like the Defender or indirectly like the Chrysler?

 

Cobra 6


Edited by Cobra6, 22 May 2017 - 07:51 PM.


HURLEY_ #10 Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:36 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 18215 battles
  • 25
  • [EAB2] EAB2
  • Member since:
    03-02-2013

"...but we're not standing by those claims. "

 

If that is the case then an apology needs to be made for the libelous statement.



Velvet_Underground #11 Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:41 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 22243 battles
  • 3,171
  • Member since:
    12-19-2014

View PostNjial, on 22 May 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

 

Hello Velvet_Underground,

 

We don't think it was appropriate in language or tone for a Community Contributor video (SirFoch) but we're not standing by those claims. 

 

You don't stand by the claims that made it to Kotaku, Jim Sterling etc or are you talking about foch's words?:amazed:

 

 

Anyway, it would be nice if Wargaming would actually listen to the more constructive critiscism; we all know the general opinion of the CCs towards the new premium tanks, the overbuffed maus/type 5 etc, why are you guys continue to go down this path? One might think that the feedback regarding the Defender might dissuade you but here we are with the next overly armored, weakspotless premium heavy tank...



ThisIsMySwamp #12 Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 33650 battles
  • 64
  • Member since:
    01-12-2013
Hey Njial, is WG gonna attempt fixing the power creep in the premium shop after this? If not, you're gonna appear even more money hungry and not caring at all about the thinking player base than you already do.

Edited by Nokijuxas, 22 May 2017 - 07:57 PM.


Kirage #13 Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 30087 battles
  • 277
  • Member since:
    08-11-2012

View PostNjial, on 22 May 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

Hello all, we wanted to share an update with you on the recent incident with SirFoch

 

"We at Wargaming have further reviewed the incident of last Friday involving SirFoch and his “Chrysler K GF rant” video, and we believe we could have handled the situation better. We strongly support our players’, including our Community Contributors’, right to speak critically about us and our games. At the same time, in the case of our Community Contributors, we ask that negative comments be made in a reasonably respectful, constructive manner, and SirFoch’s video didn’t do that. In turn, we acted too quickly when we threatened to have YouTube remove SirFoch’s video through a copyright infringement complaint. We have apologized to SirFoch for making that threat, and we are continuing our conversation with him on next steps.

 

We’re committed to doing a better job on this front. We’re going to improve the way we communicate with our Community Contributors, and as part of that effort we will work with them on more detailed, specific guidelines for our Community Contributors to help ensure incidents like this don’t happen again. We’ll also be implementing a more thorough internal review process of our own potential actions which will be used in any future case where we have concerns that a Community Contributor has crossed the line in the language they use.

 

We love our players and our contributors – even the ones who don’t always love us – and we are committed to using this case to grow and improve."

 

So what would you do if Foch were to re-upload the video and or make more like it? Considering there was absolutely nothing wrong with the video in terms of slander or homo whatever.

San4311 #14 Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:59 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 21754 battles
  • 97
  • [CIRCW] CIRCW
  • Member since:
    12-30-2012

View PostKirage, on 22 May 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

 

So what would you do if Foch were to re-upload the video and or make more like it? Considering there was absolutely nothing wrong with the video in terms of slander or homo whatever.

 

They could do nothing about it, given he is no CC anymore, and they can't Copyright claim it, because that'd be a false claim.

WeWuzKangz #15 Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 1417 battles
  • 9
  • Member since:
    12-29-2015

When did Gaijin buy Wargaming?

 

 


Edited by WeWuzKangz, 22 May 2017 - 08:10 PM.


Dennyb #16 Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:10 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 21178 battles
  • 1,936
  • Member since:
    12-14-2012

View PostNjial, on 22 May 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

Hello Velvet_Underground,

 

We don't think it was appropriate in language or tone for a Community Contributor video (SirFoch) but we're not standing by those claims. 

 

You're not standing by the claims WarGaming used in an offical statement to numerous sources about the incident? Are you saying that those claims are false, or as it would be, libel/slanderous to SirFoch?

cobra_508th #17 Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:10 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 16086 battles
  • 110
  • Member since:
    04-14-2011
Please prove to us that this wasn't a deliberate scandal to take the attention away from the recent trend of clearly overpowered tanks that make the game a lot easier and a lot more pay2win for those who play them and for those who play against them. Because that is what it looks like to most people. In all of your recent statements you only address the fact that SirFoch's language was too harsh but there is nothing about the actual issue that he and all of the other CCs and youtubers addressed even as far back as the Liberte and Patriot which got further cleared up with the introduction of the Defender and now with the Chrysler GF and the upcoming german tier 8 premium heavy tank.

Irisviel_Einzbern #18 Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:11 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 7857 battles
  • 61
  • [TEC] TEC
  • Member since:
    04-03-2016

View PostCobra6, on 22 May 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

In the end all that SirFoch did wrong was being a bit rude (matter of perspective) in his video while you as Wargaming on the other hand:

-Falsely threatened copyright action. (apologised)

-In a public statement to news sources falsely accused him of being a homophobe. (not apologised)

-In a public statement to news sources falsely accused him of practising hate-speech. (not apologised)

 

All of the above, and also - issue of overpowered premium tanks and p2w accusations (along with frontal weakspot removal on many vehicles) - not adressed.



Gvozdika #19 Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 38155 battles
  • 550
  • Member since:
    02-26-2011

I'll be the voice of dissent so far and thank you Njial for sticking your head above the parapet. You could easily choose to ride this one out and stay quiet while it blows over - but you retain some goodwill by explaining what has happened and the steps to avoid it in future. Mistakes were made (by both parties) - probably not the first or the last by a long shot.

 

As far as this forumer sees it - the matter re: Foch is settled and it's good that the two sides are talking if nothing else. 

 

Just please remember this - Communication goes a long way! Both with CCs and the playerbase as a whole.

 

 



WeWuzKangz #20 Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 1417 battles
  • 9
  • Member since:
    12-29-2015
Mfw WG has a valid strike against foch for the video and manages to [edited]it up so badly now that Foch has a case for Libel/Slander against WG in a criminal court. LUL




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users