Emil I is a decentish tank and why tier 8 isn't worth your time

#free_per_saukko tier 8 matchmaking burger king emil I is balanced a list of diseases arty is jizz

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

kripton69 #1 Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1208 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

This text is written by Per_Saukko_EU. He is permabanned from the forum a busy person with all the women(and men) chasing him so he lacks the time and means of posting this himself.  Anyway, I know some other forumites have had their permabans revoked, so maybe one and a half years of ban is enough? If some forum mod would be kind enough to lift his permanent forum ban that would be awesome. The world needs education of the importance of multiculturalism, tolerance and gender neutral pronouns and there's no better man for the job.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Prelude:

Months ago when Emil I was released I was one of the surprisingly few people who considered it outright broken and blatantly overpowered. Some of you may remember me constantly calling it with creative names such as "ground cancer" and trying to explain step by step how a tank with an autoloader, -12 gun depression and great turret armor cannot possibly be balanced. Most players seemed to disagree and to this day I still don't understand how people could call a tank like this balanced. That's partly why I wanted to play it. The statistics sided with me and the tank was heavily overperforming for practically everyone. These ugly numbers were usually ignored with "is new tank, only good player play this :) " or "ppl just haven't learned how to counter it :) ". Half a year later nothing has changed in statistics - in raw numbers it's still extremely overpowered. I was also commonly told that "I haven't played it so I can't know this stuff", most typically by players who were happily saying that the tank was "decent" but when I inspected their profiles it was either the very best performer of their tier 8s or at least very close. I mean, some of these discussions took place after Defender was released. I have good news for you though - I have now played through the tank myself.

Because the tank has now existed for half a year people have had the time to "learn how to counter it" and not only paid professionals play it anymore, right? I know someone will still use those arguments since it's WoT EU forum but at least I tried. It always puzzled me how do you "counter" a tank that has the best reach of its tier(-12 gun depression) combined with great turret armor, making it ridiculously easy for the Emil I to dictate the encounter against more or less anything. The last straw is the autoloader which also gives it the burst damage to cripple any enemy who tries to force a trade or who just wants to shoot something and has to commit more than you because he "only" has some -8 degrees of gun depression. My mind simply failed to conjure how do you deal with a tank that has so much going for it but thankfully people had indeed learned how to deal with the Emil I by following the incredibly smart "don't fight it" advice. Time after time they were kind enough to donate me the area I wanted. All I had to do was to drag my Emil I to the relevant flank of the map, peek, take a couple of shots and unless I was facing other Swedish heavies or tier 10s with turret armor, the enemies would vanish like I was a pregnant woman looking for a new boyfriend. Occasionally there was some sick fetishist who would stick around only to regret it later, but mostly players just disappeared. This significantly hurt my DPG, it's hard to fight enemies who refuse to fight you but at least I have 75.36% full solo win rate to show from all the free map control I was given. I feel I got better teams than on average but I am also pretty sure I could maintain 69-70% solo win rate with this tank. It's really that good at winning important areas. I have never played a tank that can win games so effectively even when it doesn't do any significant damage in the battle. There were lots and lots of battles where I did like 800 damage but played a key role in winning the important areas of the map(and the battle), often against higher tier tanks. Even with these first world problems Emil I is on par with my best tier 8 damage dealers even in terms of damage done with 2240 DPG.

Thankfully, just like everyone else inventing the wheel with Emil I a few months ago, I've suddenly become just so [edited]ing awesome at this game that such performance can only be explained with my own brilliance. These numbers have nothing to do with the combination of the -12 gun depression, turret armor and the autoloader. Emil I is an above average, or perhaps even a decent tank like others said and because the gun can be a tad frustrating, I think it's perfectly balanced and there's nothing wrong with it. It's just players like me who are suddenly so godsent that they can master even such hard-to-play tanks. It's so very hard to find any medium area, find a position that's not too steep to for your tank climb, peek and press down your LMB for a few seconds to deal 1.3k damage. If we want to take it even deeper than this, make sure that you have a couple of tanks with you on the flank so you don't get rushed at during your reload. Also, preferably try not to get shot at by tanks with 250-270+ AP penetration. This is all really hard stuff. Sometimes it even pisses myself off to be this good.

TL;DR: Even after playing through Emil I and everyone having half a year to figure out how to "counter" it, my opinion has not changed one bit. The tank performed exactly as I predicted, becoming my very best tier 8 tank. Sorry guys, I don't own a Defender.

So what exactly makes Emil I such a great performer? It's the same thing as half a year ago - the combination of -12 gun depression, great turret armor and autoloader. A good tank is a tank that can go to the chokepoints in most maps and effectively fight whatever it faces. There are only a handful of maps in which utilizing hulldown isn't a viable play and even in those maps you have a semi-mobile tank with an autoloader. You have all these people whining how the gun is bad and how the turret armor really isn't that great and it gets penetrated half the time by tier 10 mediums, how the penetration is bad and how the tank is slow. So sad. I'll list a few key points about the tank, starting with the initial set up and then summing up the tank.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tank set-up:

Because Emil I cannot mount a Rammer the recommended equipment is VStabs - Vents - GLD. If you have the view range skills and food you can consider Optics but your view range will skill kind of suck so I think focusing on the gun makes more sense. Carry a health amount of premium rounds. The tank is kind of fire prone so whether you use food or not is up to you.

Keep all the game modes on. Assault and Encounter both are excellent for Emil I. The lack of view range is somewhat annoying in Assault but all of the maps offer a wealth of hulldown possibilities. If you have Assault off don't whine that the tank is bad in corridor maps because you're asking for more of them.

The gun:

4 shells, 3 sec intraclip, 320 alpha, 217/242 penetration and meh gun handling. There were instances when the gun would troll the hell out of me by not hitting or penetrating a single shell of the clip. It can be frustrating. It's the worst autoloader of the tier with pretty awkward gun handling, meh DPM and even more meh penetration. But it's still an autoloader with 1.3k burst damage which still makes it one of the best guns of the tier. It's much better than any of the typical 240 alpha medium guns with even worse penetration. It's even better than most heavy guns because it has so much burst. It's going to troll you, frustrate you and sometimes outright let you down but the other side of the coin is that you will sometimes deal 1.3k damage to a T-54 and force him out of the position while you receive 0-320 damage and start reloading. Usually you can get into close range and if you don't take too many marginal shots, you can expect to hit between 2-3 shells which is much better than people give it credit for. 217 APCR isn't exactly bad penetration but if you run into armored targets you should just shamelessly load gold. Many people seem convinced that the lowish penetration balances the tank but if you ask me, contrary to a popular belief a tank isn't necessarily balanced or weak just because some drivers are too stupid to press "2" and keep bouncing shots off armored targets.

The 3 sec intraclip looks much worse on paper than it is. The platform usually allows you to not receive any damage in return because you have the superior reach and a very bouncy turret and you can literally just peek over a ridge, press down LMB and farm damage without losing any health. Just have some situational awareness and don't take too many marginal shots and the gun is definitely not a problem, even if it can be frustrating. 

Spoiler

Hull armor:

You use this to bully lower tier 150-160 pen tanks and occasionally when you're using your gun depression you get such a retarded angle that it'll bounce anything. Don't be distracted though, for the most part the hull armor has no utility and you play the tank like you have none. Also keep in mind that the side armor is pathetic, overmatchable by many guns and you should almost never angle your hull for increased protection. Arty splash will hurt you. Play as paper medium when not hulldown unless you're dealing with low pen guns, typically lower tiers.

Turret armor and gun depression:

This combination is typically broken and this tank is no exception, especially with the autoloader gun. You just go to a local medium area and find opportunities where you can shoot enemies without being shot back at which is not particularly hard with -12 gun depression. Just put some effort into not feeding the base camping enemy TDs and you'll have a nice buffet. Tanks like T-54 with less than half of the gun depression you are fun farming simulators as long as you carry some gold ammo with you. Even many tanks with something like -8 gun depression are comfortable to deal with without receiving any damage and tier 8 mediums are a free lunch because many of them can't even gold pen your turret and even if they do, it's 240 damage and nobody cares.

The turret armor is very bouncy and it's all the armor you have. When I checked my damage blocked it showed 450 which was somewhat less than I expected. After going through a few replays I noticed that the damage blocked is low because people don't even bother shooting your turret even when they should. Too often when you peek they go in "oh sh*t" mode and won't shoot you at all because they realize that if they do, you are going to commit further and get better shots out. Higher tier tanks with 250+ AP penetration or gold rounds can penetrate the turret and you should follow some caution. With "some caution" I mean that you shouldn't whine if tier 10 tanks penetrate your turret front or if you keep giving same tier tanks your turret side and they penetrate it, it's not the tank's fault.

Everything else:

The mobility is kind of like what you can expect from Russian heavies - slow for a medium but fast for a heavy, allowing you to generally reach any relevant area in any map and the top speed is 50km/h so if you can get some nice downslopes you're much faster than the Russian heavies. The mobility is not a problem. 

The view range is horrible at 360m, you don't want to play positions in which you have to do all the spotting by yourself. The camo is even worse. The turret traverse speed is bad. This is a minmax tank and you are best off just accepting your tank only has 3 things(gun depression, turret armor, gun depression) on a relatively mobile platform and nothing more. These 3 things give you so much to work with that you don't need anything else.

When hulldown isn't possible:

This situation is quite rare. There's so much whining about corridor maps but even most such maps offer relevant hulldown positions. When you roll like Ensk or Mountain Pass with minimal hulldown potential then you just play like a slightly limpdick autoloader. Although a lot of players who believe that Emil I is a balanced tank complain how the tank is useless in these maps and in any situation other than hulldown, the harsh reality is that even in such flat corridor maps you're still going to have a better tank than most same tier TDs or mediums. You have a turret, 1280 burst damage and a tiny bit of armor on a reasonably mobile platform. That's not too bad. Honestly, even the 217 APCR penetration isn't as bad as people say and if you're fighting against heavily armored tanks, you should just load gold instead of handicapping yourself.

Autoloaders are never useless.

Summary:

All in all, as I have said a million times this tank has only a few things going for it, but they are the ones that matter the most. It's got all the stuff you want in today's meta. I keep repeating this because there are still lots of players who don't appear to understand which tank characteristics matter and which ones don't. This may be a blunt way to put it but in today's random battles driving around with a cutesy, fast, stealthy tank, passive scouting and occasionally pewpewing stuff is not the way to win games. You win games by forcefully taking map control and grinding down your enemies on your Defender, Maus, Emil I or Object 140, or by having the burst damage of a BatChat or TVP and forcing every non-autoloader out of the position in the beginning of the battle and/or making good trades with your autoloader. Or just removing most of the health of an enemy tank in a few seconds when he makes a mistake. Emil I can fortunately(or rather unfortunately) do both, grind down enemy tanks and inflict heavy burst damage.

Emil I is an oppressive, unhealthy tank. Playing against one gives you the same feeling as the old artillery where you just get punished without doing anything fundamentally wrong. You know, the situation where you were doing more or less what your tank is supposed to do, only to find that some retarded mechanic that requires no interaction, ruining the game for you. All you did was going to the key flank of the map with your typical medium tank only to have one of these things on the enemy team slumber into action and either farm you or force you to leave the area. In some cases you can sit behind some cover and be useless but that's not really what you should be looking to do either. The frustration is that no interaction or play from your side can realistically prevent this from happening, it's just that the Swedish heavies are very oppressive by their nature. After being banished from the local medium area, you're either forced to either camp and watch your team die or go and brawl against Defenders, VK 100's or higher tier heavies. Sometimes you'll find an opening but most maps don't offer all that many options and the odds are stacked against you.

Tier 8 matchmaking is [insert a serious disease of your choice]:

To add another comical dimension to this all, I played all my Emil I games under the new matchmaking rules that have left tier 8 tanks in a pretty ugly spot. Even with the new matchmaking, I got 75% win rate and DPG rivaling that of my best tier 8s. This subject should be interesting almost everyone, even the people who couldn't care less about broken Swedish tanks. Since I am a stats nerd I decided to count what I faced and how often. As I already explained above 100% of the games were solo so platooning had no impact in these numbers.

I was hoping the micro patch from a few days back would've changed something. A couple of weeks ago I ragequit my O-Ho grind because in my 60~ battles with it I never once encountered any 6 tanks and only saw tier 7s a few times. As stupid as O-Ho as a tank is, it grows old to try to play a tank that has retardproof armor as its main selling point if you never face any of the lower tiers that it works so wonderfully well against. At least the HE gun makes it somewhat viable against higher tiers so it's still somewhat good but it's hardly worth playing as of now. Either way I was hoping for a change.

The templates of the new system made the math easier. All I had to do was to log the battle tiers(for example '8' or '6-8' or '8-9' ) and count in the end. The numbers of each tier are always the same. Here are the results:

Tanks faced:

Total: 1035

Tier 6: 21
Tier 7: 74
Tier 8: 581
Tier 9: 266
Tier X: 93

As expected on a tier 8 tank I would see far more tier 8 tanks than anything else, over 50% of all tanks faced. On the other hand, out of the 1035 tanks in the enemy team I faced only 21 were tier 6 and 74 were tier 7. That means 95 tanks or 9% of the tanks I faced were lower tier, and only 2% were tier 6s. This is pathetic considering the fact I faced 359 higher tiers which accounts for 35%. On the positives I only faced 93 tier X tanks which ensured that the battles were generally playable although in the big picture tier 8 is obviously getting the short end of the stick. The advantage of the new matchmaking is that you no longer get completely unplayable battles with 7-8 tier 10s, so you can at least contribute more consistently and you don't find yourself tying a rope around your neck during the countdown. On the other hand although I am not a fan of seal clubbing two tiers lower tanks, I admit it feels pretty dumb to constantly see tier 9-10 tanks while barely seeing any lower tiers.

I managed because I was playing a blatantly overpowered tank that fits into the metagame perfectly. I probably lost a couple of hundreds of damage per game but for the most part I can live with the matchmaking as long as I play tanks as overpowered as this. But how about a tank that's not blatantly overpowered?

The frustration with tier 8 is that it's already a very damaged because of all these new lovely tanks(including Emil I) that you can't interact with so if you're trying to play something even vaguely balanced, you're going to be punished by the people playing these tanks and time after time you'll feel useless. Do you really want to be the AMX CDC or Tiger II when I play a Defender, Emil I, VK 100 or Patriot? Me neither. These tanks aren't even remotely balanced yet they all get the same matchmaking. When you get tier 8 only games your cute Tiger II gets eaten alive by the Defenders and VKs. Now imagine the fun of your Tiger II seeing plenty of higher tier tanks that it has absolutely no armor against, and barely facing any tier 6-7 tanks that the armor works against. Playing a balanced tier 8 tank is now about as fun as being married to a violent alcoholic.

Consider this in your calculations when you are contemplating on buying a new tier 8 premium. My hint would be to avoid tier 8 altogether but since it's the primary money making tier it may be hard to avoid. You can expect to see a fair amount of higher tier tanks and almost no lower tiers of any kind. On the other hand you will be facing all the new retarded tier 8 tanks, spamming gold and still probably being left behind. The value of tier 8 tanks now depends on how good they are slaying the new premiums and higher tiers. Tanks like tier 8 mediums are absolutely worthless, and since the matchmaking changes tanks with terrible guns like IS-3A or preferential matchmaking tanks aren't worth your money either. The new premiums are your best bets, meaning Defender, Patriot, Liberte and Skorpion. If you're a good player the Lorraine 40t is also a fine option. The Chrysler has 198 AP penetration and I wouldn't farm money with it. My preferred premiums nowadays are Löwe and Skorpion. Löwe is now a hidden gem with most players acknowledging that it's playable since the buffs but almost nobody knowing of its true power. 

Tier 8

I have to say though that I find the new matchmaker way better than the old. You don't get those totally unplayable battles anymore where you are a tier 8 and each team has 7 tier 10 tanks. I find that a great improvement. Still it would've made much more sense to just go +1/-1 than implement half-solutions like this. The current matchmaking is WG's indecisive way of "kind of going +1/-1 without really doing it" where it addresses some of the old issues like the totally unplayable battles, ignores the others like that a Tiger II will still be fielded against a Maus sometimes and even creates new issues such as this situation in tier 8 where you're constantly being screwed. Still, I take this over the old matchmaking, but it does need further fixing if WG has plans of selling their tier 8 premiums.

TL;DR: Emil I is just as overpowered as before. For tier 8 as whole though many things have changed. On a tier 8 tank you'll see lots of same tier tanks, a fair amount of higher tier tanks and almost no lower tiers. The whole tier is screwed and the only way to weather the storm is to play overpowered tanks yourself. The other option is being crushed by others playing them.

Thanks for reading,

Tony

Edited by kripton69, 05 June 2017 - 05:22 PM.

qpranger #2 Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:09 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 30767 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Can I get a summary please?

kripton69 #3 Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1208 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View Postqpranger, on 04 June 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

There's a TL;DR part but if you really want my vote in becoming a CC you should at least pretend you read the whole thing and liked it.

Bludsuager #4 Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11685 battles

I agree with most what is said by Per_Saukko, but unfortunately the few that i have met didnt really stand out, they die just like other tanks and dont need gold for them either. However i believe this has to do with the player skill playing them. I think the average (or heigher) player would excel in them more than lower bobs, but have been lucky that i havent met one that seems to realize the power they have. 

But again i have come back recently and havent had many games under my belt from them. I like the T34 american heavy and imagining a tank with decent turret armor, an autoloader AND better gun depression seems like a dream:medal: 

(btw i wont be going down that line, have too many others i want to play so maybe one day)

qpranger #5 Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:20 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 30767 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postkripton69, on 04 June 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

There's a TL;DR part but if you really want my vote in becoming a CC you should at least pretend you read the whole thing and liked it.

OK, I read the whole thing and I liked it, a lot.

Homer_J #6 Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

It's a strong tank when you can find the exact right position.  Most of use mere plebs can't.

Balancing a tank around how well the top 0.01% players do in it is wrong and Per_Saukko isn't exactly a ripe tomato.

Bludsuager #7 Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11685 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 04 June 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

It's a strong tank when you can find the exact right position.  Most of use mere plebs can't.

Balancing a tank around how well the top 0.01% players do in it is wrong and Per_Saukko isn't exactly a ripe tomato.

What i said and what he said (although shorter and much easier to understand :( )

fighting_falcon93 #8 Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 29341 battles
Oh, here we go... Yes, let's nerf one of the few HT branches that're actually enjoyable to play... :rolleyes:

arjun69 #9 Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 91755 battles

thanks for the effort.

i dont have emil yet but your description confirms my impressions from the field.

Search_Warrant #10 Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 25990 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

Its so broken nobody plays it. its slow. trash armor on anything but the turret front (can load gold and autopen with RASHA HEAT.) the gun handling is beyond trash, the pens garbage and if you look at someone in a hulldown spot. anyone else not aiming at the 100% front will pen the side turret/cheeks easy.

Still better than FV4202p tho.

kripton69 #11 Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1208 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostHomer_J, on 04 June 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

Based on this Emil I is overperforming for pretty much everyone. For the fun of it I added IS-3 to the comparison because it's infamous for being "retardproof". A 46% player is already overperforming with an Emil I and a 48% player is already winning 49.75% of his games with Emil I. These player levels aren't exactly full of rocket scientists of WoT, and we are talking about a tier 8 tank here. Keep in mind that players record much higher win rates at low tiers so when a tier 8 tank performs better for a 46% player than his usual tier 4 tanks you know something's wrong.

The tank is ridiculously easy to play as long as you can follow the basic principle of trying to find a hulldown area. It's super forgiving because you have the gun depression advantage against anything and can play pretty much any ridge. Then you have the turret armor to bounce stuff even when you fail, and to make the matters even worse the autoloader often makes awful mongol pushes profitable. With an IS-3 you may also have turret armor but you also have -5 gun depression and you need to work around ridges.

Edited by kripton69, 04 June 2017 - 03:28 PM.

Browarszky #12 Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

Major

• Player
  • 14906 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

View Postqpranger, on 04 June 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

Emil 1 is a PITA. Face it in battle and go buy some Preparation H.

kripton69 #13 Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1208 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 04 June 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

Oh, here we go... Yes, let's nerf one of the few HT branches that're actually enjoyable to play... :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's really fun when all the broken elements of the game are piled into one tank. That's so good for the game.

fighting_falcon93 #14 Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:35 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 29341 battles

View Postkripton69, on 04 June 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

Yeah, it's really fun when all the broken elements of the game are piled into one tank. That's so good for the game.

I seriusly fail to see how it's broken? I could have agreed if you complained about the auto loader. But you're complaining about good turret armor + good gun depression. Jeeez what's so broken? If the problem is the auto loader, by all means, remove it... I think I'd enjoy the Swedish HT line even more without autoloaders (and slightly better gun handling). But having a sturdy turret allows you to actually peek with your HEAVY tank without getting shot to pieces by either skill ammo or laser guns that hit one of all weakspots on your turret (!).

Edited by fighting_falcon93, 04 June 2017 - 03:36 PM.

AvalancheZ257 #15 Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3124 battles
  • [3WCST] 3WCST

View Postkripton69, on 04 June 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

It may be powerful, but I think the point is its not yet spammed enough in Randoms for people to notice. 

The more you see a tank, the clearer your experiences are, and the more you realize how OP/UP/situational each tank is. There are just so few Emil I's compared to Defenders, Skorpion's and the like that most people don't see it as OP. 

This may change down the road obviously, but since no one is currently complaining because Emil I tanks are so rare, WG is in no hurry to change it. Judging by the speed they do take to fix broken tanks that are spammed everywhere, the Emil I will take even longer to fix... 

Also, you greatly overestimate the ability of the common player, especially in map knowledge. Insane gun depression values are of no use if you don't know any of the sweet hulldown spots specially for said insane depression values, and its hard to find them. Lets be honest here, how many players really know how to use 12 degrees of gun depression to its maximum potential? I myself have no clue where 12 degrees of depression would work where 8 does not. 

Homer_J #16 Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postkripton69, on 04 June 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

The tank is ridiculously easy to play as long as you can follow the basic principle of trying to find a hulldown area. 

IF

On the other hand I found it quite hard work, and the first autoloader that I decided to carry HE, and pretty much loaded premium at the start of almost every round and when that wasn't working (which was often) then HE just to do something.  OK, I wasn't getting hurt but that's no use as your team crumbles around you and you can't do anything because you can't relocate in case you get caught with your pants down.

8126Jakobsson #17 Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

Major

• Player
  • 61193 battles
What I take away from this is that me and Per are in an agreement about the Löwe. Girth is power. As for the Emil I'm not ready to join his camp. Gonna revisit the tank some time so we'll see. For now it's just Finns hatin' on our sweet machines.  

Infine #18 Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18265 battles

View Postkripton69, on 04 June 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

With an IS-3 you may also have turret armor but you also have -5 gun depression and you need to work around ridges.

IS-3 at leas has a turret weakspot. And the turret itself is ventilateable by higher tiers. Emil & co is exactly as described - gg idunwanna fite yuo. Paper turret is a meme when gun depression is used. At full depression it has 320ish effective armour.

kripton69 #19 Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1208 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostHomer_J, on 04 June 2017 - 04:50 PM, said:

IF

On the other hand I found it quite hard work, and the first autoloader that I decided to carry HE, and pretty much loaded premium at the start of almost every round and when that wasn't working (which was often) then HE just to do something.  OK, I wasn't getting hurt but that's no use as your team crumbles around you and you can't do anything because you can't relocate in case you get caught with your pants down.

The thing with Emil I that I noticed that often you don't necessarily need to do a whole lot to influence the fight. Often just being around forces enemy tanks to play passively which ultimately leads to your team gaining the edge. The tank is so unhealthy because it's borderline impossible to interact with it while it can easily make plays against you if you try to play the game.

I won many games even without doing a lot of damage because my mere presence banished the enemy tanks away or made them camp a useless position. The tank plays the same areas as mediums. Those mediums usually have -10 gun depression as their highlight, combined with a useless 240 alpha gun and no armor and some mobility that doesn't matter too much in most maps nowadays. Now, Emil I has -12 gun depression(many mediums would give their left hand for that), a 320 alpha autoloader and turret armor that none of the mediums can penetrate. 

What's the point of playing tanks that have gun depression when you can have more gun depression, autoloader and turret armor? The only thing tanks like Emil I achieve in this game is forcing everyone to play OP tanks because playing anything fair just gets you killed without any hope. 

View Postqpranger, on 04 June 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

OK, I read the whole thing and I liked it, a lot.

Alright man, you got my vote.

Edited by kripton69, 04 June 2017 - 09:02 PM.

NiemandXL #20 Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:01 PM

Major

• Player
  • 37955 battles

View Postkripton69, on 04 June 2017 - 01:53 PM, said:

Playing a balanced tier 8 tank is now about as fun as being married to a violent alcoholic.

Haha, I'm grinding both Centurion 1 and T28 Proto atm and that's pretty much the experience^^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users