How would disabling team chat affect gameplay.

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

DorsVenabiIi #1 Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22046 battles
  • [BIBLE] BIBLE

I'm gonna be honest, It's mostly toxic and I myself also contribute to the toxicity. 

Would I really lose that much information by disabling it, would it really have an impact on gameplay? Only useful scenario I can think of is when you need to know a certain enemies HP, and you ask your team, other than that I can't come up with any other reason to have it. 

Shivva #2 Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29624 battles
  • [J_A_G] J_A_G

View PostDorsVenabiIi, on 06 June 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

I'm gonna be honest, It's mostly toxic and I myself also contribute to the toxicity. 

Would I really lose that much information by disabling it, would it really have an impact on gameplay? Only useful scenario I can think of is when you need to know a certain enemies HP, and you ask your team, other than that I can't come up with any other reason to have it. 

There are always those rare matches when abit of communication between players turns the game, I keep chat on but yeah 90% of is just nonsense, spam or abuse still it's worth it for those moments when it is actually helpful.

Phobos4321 #3 Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:57 PM

General

• Player
  • 43079 battles

its a teamshooter and there shouldnt be a way to communicate ?  even giving to option to turn of the chat was a epic fail from WG

the  lack of communication, planning etc already ruined random matches  and they turned into a brainfree lemmingtree zone

peekakilla #4 Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10122 battles

if you turn the chat off, you can still see the pings, or the platoon chat.

anyway when yout team is winning no one is saying anything in the chat, while when losing, there is always some 12y old kid that apparently slept with your mom the last night :trollface:

Gromm1t #5 Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:10 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11859 battles

It is toxic, but opponent/ally may send you toxic messages after batle because you shot them or you play specific tanks they dislike and that you cant avoid.

...but keep teamchatr on and try behave , skip toxic messages and give team valuable info,

+ you saw tank flipped (finnish him)

+ you saw your tank moving after you died(very usefull 1 vs. 1 situation)

etc.

, it is very hard contain and keep chat civil but sometimes it pays back 90% positive, :medal: .

HM_Kaiser #6 Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 25431 battles

I disabled in-game chat a long time ago.

Very rare are the games where I would need to communicate, and at every game there are insults or "noob team" ot the 1k games player dead since 8 minutes pinging and arguing at me even if I am the last survivor and win the game. Ratio useful / useless is easy to say for me...

OK, it's a team game, I do what I'm supposed to do, with the other players at my side, others do so (or whatever they want), and I appreciate the game more (by far) without these annoyances.

Each time I turned chat on, I switched it off again a few minutes later. When I play I want to relax, not get annoyed.

Even better, if I could disable map pinging, I would disable it.

HeidenSieker #7 Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostDorsVenabiIi, on 06 June 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Well stop contributing to toxicity, then!

Sometimes it's useful. During the start countdown, I tend to say where I am thinking of going (if no-one else has other ideas). it's better to type a few words in chat rather than just ping the map mid-game, and at the end of the game if it's just you and one or so others it's useful for coordinating actions.

Granted it's not used a lot, which I think is a pity. Yesterday we had a team win because of it, though, and a couple of times at the weekend. If you use it, you may get good results. If you don't use it, you won't.

Lycopersicon #8 Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10600 battles

If not for the team chat, I would not stop periodically to fire an "Inappropriate behaviour in chat" report, which disturbs the gameplay somewhat :) Team chat can theoretically be useful, of course, but I cannot even remember the last time when I saw an attempt to coordinate play. In low tiers, there is sometimes some friendly banter in the chat, but from tiers 6-7 upwards, the chat exists solely for yelling at each other.

Balc0ra #9 Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64255 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Most info like map ping and wheel commands work if you turn it off. And IMO 8 out 10 games have zero useful intel in the chat for you anyway. As it's mostly just idiots that want you to go cap to win. Since their cap is in the open. So you can be easily spotted and killed faster. If it's not that. It's just the dead players arguing over who's fault it is for not covering them when they yoloed a 2 vs 10.

Edited by Balc0ra, 06 June 2017 - 03:45 PM.

Timewarp76 #10 Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Clan Commander
  • 19054 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Try it and see I have, and to be honest I haven't seen any real downside. 99% of the chat is either a dead player cussing out and raging on someone else for their poor gameplay, a troll calling out noobs, or people that have no clue couching you on how to play the game. There is the 1% that actually encourage you or offer valuable information but lets be real, it's few and far between. If chat is disabled, you will still be able to see the clicks on the mini-map that people so often like to provide and that realistically is worth more than their words anyway.

IMO, stick to TeamSpeak or other Voice Chat with your platoon and forget the in game chat. Best would be to disable the in game chat you will enjoy the game more and won't see all the toxic stuff being generated.

Wintermute_1 #11 Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42801 battles
Turning off team chat improves gameplay. Given that 99.5% of it is negative trash talk you are less distracted when it's off and can focus more on finding a way to help your team win. Additionally you can't get drawn into it yourself and therefore spend time typing out responses to idiot comments from players that died 5 mins ago. When someone starts working with you in game it's pretty obvious and very little written communication is required. If you really need to communicate something tactical drawing a couple of lines on the map is generally enough.

Pansenmann #12 Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Whenever I read toxic I think of

"The Toxic Avenger"

besterest superhero movie since "Santo and Blue Demon vs. Dracula"

Jigabachi #13 Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Whenever I see threads like this one, I ask myself why some people decided to play a multiplayergame if they could simply play a singleplayergame that is free of annoyances like... uh... other players.

TungstenHitman #14 Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:21 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20553 battles

View PostHeidenSieker, on 06 June 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

Sometimes it's useful. During the start countdown, I tend to say where I am thinking of going (if no-one else has other ideas). it's better to type a few words in chat rather than just ping the map mid-game, and at the end of the game

Well the problem with that is

1. Never assume all your team speak your language

2. Your team might have chat disabled so will not receive your master plan

3. I'd imagine reading and writing is a challenge for some players based on what I've encountered

Map pinging is at least a universal language though pointless in probably 95% of situations since that's about the percentage of players that see the pinging but don't agree or care for what is being pinged.

Also the F keys are a universal language which gets displayed in every players choice language so you pressing F4 "Defend The Base" for example will appear in French or German or Italian etc etc since we play on EU servers, no use typing English instructions to someone that only speaks Lithuanian.

To that end it would be nice if WG expanded the F key options to include "don't be a complete idiot" also "why do you keep driving in front of my gun?" and finally "any reason you do nothing all game?"

Dundato #15 Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26121 battles
Wouldnt affect my gameplay as i have chat turned off.

DorsVenabiIi #16 Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:01 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22046 battles
  • [BIBLE] BIBLE

I've already disabled PM by users not on my friendslist, one of the greatest decisions i've made, no more rage from bots saying I cheat, no more insults from butt hurt idiots. No more Tryhards raging what a lucky noob i am.  

Seems only logical that the next step would be that to disable team chat. 

Bordhaw #17 Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10815 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 06 June 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

Well the problem with that is

1. Never assume all your team speak your language

2. Your team might have chat disabled so will not receive your master plan

3. I'd imagine reading and writing is a challenge for some players based on what I've encountered

Map pinging is at least a universal language though pointless in probably 95% of situations since that's about the percentage of players that see the pinging but don't agree or care for what is being pinged.

Also the F keys are a universal language which gets displayed in every players choice language so you pressing F4 "Defend The Base" for example will appear in French or German or Italian etc etc since we play on EU servers, no use typing English instructions to someone that only speaks Lithuanian.

To that end it would be nice if WG expanded the F key options to include "don't be a complete idiot" also "why do you keep driving in front of my gun?" and finally "any reason you do nothing all game?"

Map pings are useful for new players learning the maps and locations to make note of. But people can research the maps separately if they are that bit interested. Plus if someone pings one side or the other many times the lemming mentality will mean 80% players will head there and fatally ignore one side of the map. But hey I've only seen up to T7 games...

Strappster #18 Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDorsVenabiIi, on 06 June 2017 - 06:01 PM, said:

Seems only logical that the next step would be that to disable team chat. 

Why don't you simply disable it and find out? It's not as though it's a one-off choice. :rolleyes:

Aikl #19 Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Can't remember the last time someone told me anything helpful, but it is worth keeping on for reminding people that capping is a viable option when their two superheavies are on the other side of the map and can't be stopped unless they are under pressure.

I keep it on mostly for messing with the whiners, it's a fun part of the game. ;)

Pansenmann #20 Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:09 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Since I know how to behave in public chats,

I was quite unhappy about the cross-team chat disabled

but I can perfectly understand why,

because the usual suspects couldnt keep their potty mouth shut

their fish fingers away from keyboard.

I can be a bit more direct in private messages,

but that's not meant for open public anyways. :P

but full-blown up-front toxicity and verbal abuse?

can count those on five fingers (where I was adressed directly and not the whole wot playerbase at once)

Edited by Pansenmann, 06 June 2017 - 08:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users