Gameplay

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

STAR_Elsko #1 Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 26827 battles
  • [4STAR] 4STAR

the crosshair in the game is verry limited ,u can choose from a lot of different sizes or dots,but still all are verry alike.
also the game has evolved, grown and improved.
BUT sadly NOT the crosshair .

Why's that?

Or when does wargaming develop this?

Dundato #2 Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26168 battles
Use a third party one then like jimbos or some other dude that does one

Hammerhead20 #3 Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25370 battles

What's wrong with them?

I use in-game crosshair and I don't see any problems with that.

If you don't like those "default" ones, then use mods.

Strappster #4 Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDundato, on 06 June 2017 - 05:06 PM, said:

Use a third party one then like jimbos or some other dude that does one

There's two issues with that ...

1. Waiting after every patch or micro-patch for someone to update the mod because Jimbo hasn't worked on it for some time, it's another chap now and if he gives it up then who knows when it'll be updated again.
  2. They look gash.

I agree that the ones currently available in the client are poor. It's easy to lose sight of the centre point when you're in the heat of a battle because they're dark coloured with a pixel or two of what could only be called highlighting as a joke on the edges. Offering red or green aim points is equally daft because they use the same colour as the highlights on tanks, so you can lose them again.

All I want is a decent-looking crosshair that's not neon bright or covered in nonsense sci-fi fonts, such as the one provided for Swedish TDs.

250swb #5 Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21720 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
How does the crosshair need to 'develop', it either points to the place you point it to or it doesn't? The only way I could imagine it is confusing is to keep changing it in the hope of finding the answer to those WOT imponderables, like 'why do I keep losing' etc.

Pansenmann #6 Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33678 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Sadly I have not found a suitable replacement for "Melty's" crosshair,

so I am using Jimbo's again which I used from 2013-2014...

Strappster #7 Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:57 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post250swb, on 06 June 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

How does the crosshair need to 'develop', it either points to the place you point it to or it doesn't?

VsUK can point you to a crosshair that doesn't point to the place you point it to. :great:

TempSGK #8 Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 9072 battles

View PostStrappster, on 06 June 2017 - 05:23 PM, said:

All I want is a decent-looking crosshair that's not neon bright or covered in nonsense sci-fi fonts, such as the one provided for Swedish TDs.

Just wondering , what crosshair do you want? You have any examples?

Achibot #9 Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:58 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17959 battles
  • [HUSH-] HUSH-

1. Waiting after every patch or micro-patch for someone to update the mod because Jimbo hasn't worked on it for some time, it's another chap now and if he gives it up then who knows when it'll be updated again.
  2. They look gash.

I agree that the ones currently available in the client are poor. It's easy to lose sight of the centre point when you're in the heat of a battle because they're dark coloured with a pixel or two of what could only be called highlighting as a joke on the edges. Offering red or green aim points is equally daft because they use the same colour as the highlights on tanks, so you can lose them again.

This is nonsense. Decent modpacks, such as Aslain's, are prepared well in advance (test server) and updateld multiple times a day post patch to correct issues. You are literally talking about the state of mods about 2 years ago.....

Edited by Achibot, 06 June 2017 - 11:58 PM.

Strappster #10 Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:22 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostTempSGK, on 06 June 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

Just wondering , what crosshair do you want? You have any examples?

Apologies for the potato quality, I had to snip this from a youtube vid.

Spoiler

That's the default crosshair for Swedish TDs, at least the ones with seige mode that I've watched vids of. It's not so much about the centre aim point as it is the surrounding detail that directs the eye. I know where the centre of my screen is, obviously, but when you're in a hurry it's useful to have something which assists rather than distracts.

View PostAchibot, on 06 June 2017 - 10:58 PM, said:

This is nonsense. Decent modpacks, such as Aslain's, are prepared well in advance (test server) and updateld multiple times a day post patch to correct issues. You are literally talking about the state of mods about 2 years ago.....

You are clearly talking about something you don't know about. Aslain's pack contains mods written by other people - the clue is in the name "pack". The base of all these packs is XVM, then other mods are included depending on what the pack curator wants to offer. Seriously, why do you think it's called J1mb0's crosshair? Because Aslain wrote it? :rolleyes:

As for patches not breaking mods, the micro-patch last week broke some mods so saying it's all two years ago is nonsense.

TempSGK #11 Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 9072 battles

View PostStrappster, on 06 June 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

Apologies for the potato quality, I had to snip this from a youtube vid.

Spoiler

That's the default crosshair for Swedish TDs, at least the ones with seige mode that I've watched vids of. It's not so much about the centre aim point as it is the surrounding detail that directs the eye. I know where the centre of my screen is, obviously, but when you're in a hurry it's useful to have something which assists rather than distracts.

Try hardscope? All realistic crosshairs.  http://worldof-tanks.com/hardscope/

Achibot #12 Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:34 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17959 battles
  • [HUSH-] HUSH-

View PostStrappster, on 06 June 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

You are clearly talking about something you don't know about. Aslain's pack contains mods written by other people - the clue is in the name "pack". The base of all these packs is XVM, then other mods are included depending on what the pack curator wants to offer. Seriously, why do you think it's called J1mb0's crosshair? Because Aslain wrote it? :rolleyes:

As for patches not breaking mods, the micro-patch last week broke some mods so saying it's all two years ago is nonsense.

Of course it contains external mods, but they are tested for compatibility on the TEST SERVER for base compatibility and then offered (or not) on live once it rolls out. To pick your own example, Jimbo's Crosshair hasn't been broken in as long as I can remember. The point I actually made, assuming you were good at reading of course, is these these days mod packs are curated, come with modern installers, remember your preferences and take less than a minute to update, for everything you've *previously* selected.

It's not about your standard stubborn, contrary, bullshite man, it's about usability. Mods advance the game, half of the current UI (correctly) borrows from previous mods. Wargaming promotes modding as a method of cost-saving in development. I haven't spent more than 5 minutes per patch organising my preferred mods in over 2 years and even that is seriously generous. That's the actual point, what was your nonsense again?

Edited by Achibot, 07 June 2017 - 12:41 AM.

Strappster #13 Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:47 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostTempSGK, on 06 June 2017 - 11:32 PM, said:

I hadn't, thanks for the pointer. :)

View PostAchibot, on 06 June 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Of course it contains external mods, but they are tested for compatibility on the TEST SERVER for base compatibility and then offered (or not) on live once it rolls out. To pick your own example, Jimbo's Crosshair hasn't been broken in as long as I can remember. The point I actually made, assuming you were good at reading of course, is these these days mod packs are curated, come with modern installers, remember your preferences and take less than a minute to update, for everything you've *previously* selected.

It's not about your standard stubborn, contrary, bullshite man, it's about usability. Mods advance the game, half of the current UI (correctly) borrows from previous mods. Wargaming promotes modding as a method of cost-saving in development. I haven't spent more than 5 minutes per patch organising my preferred mods in over 2 years and even that is seriously generous. That's the actual point, what was your nonsense again?

The only reason Jimbo's crosshair hasn't been broken recently is because Grabaah has been updating it. Grabaah started updating it after Jimbo stopped updating it himself because it was broken by an update and he'd had enough.

I know mod packs come with installers but they're still nothing more than a bundle of mods written by other people. You can dress it up however you want, it doesn't change facts.

And you're giving me crap about being stubborn and contrary. :facepalm:

Achibot #14 Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:02 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17959 battles
  • [HUSH-] HUSH-

You are a true troll man, everything to obfuscate the point. Which is that it doesn't mater who updates Jimbo's Crosshair, because someone else checks that for me and makes it available when it works. End of story.

You're argument was that mods are somehow hard, or inaccessible to the average player because of update difficulties etc. The absolute fact of the matter is that you are 100% wrong. you can argue on as many parallel points as you feel inclined, it's surely your way.

BUT THE FACT REMAINS; mods are *simple* to use and control now. No more difficult or different than installing an app on your phone. That's the way it is and nothing you can pretend to argue about will change that.

Strappster #15 Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:24 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostAchibot, on 07 June 2017 - 12:02 AM, said:

You are a true troll man, everything to obfuscate the point. Which is that it doesn't mater who updates Jimbo's Crosshair, because someone else checks that for me and makes it available when it works. End of story.

You're argument was that mods are somehow hard, or inaccessible to the average player because of update difficulties etc. The absolute fact of the matter is that you are 100% wrong. you can argue on as many parallel points as you feel inclined, it's surely your way.

BUT THE FACT REMAINS; mods are *simple* to use and control now. No more difficult or different than installing an app on your phone. That's the way it is and nothing you can pretend to argue about will change that.

My argument wasn't that mods are somehow hard or inaccessible or anything of the sort. That's something you've assumed and instead of validating that assumption by clarifying it with me, you've jumped in to tell me how wrong I am. :facepalm:

My point was that some mods get broken by patches and I don't want to go through the rigmarole of waiting for an update after each one for something as straightforward as a crosshair. That's it. End of story.

I used to install XVM after every patch and then go through all the configuration files line by line to get things exactly how I wanted them, down to the correct sized font for tank labels on the minimap and making pixel adjustments to spotted tank positions because I wasn't happy with how they were presented. I gave that up after having to go through it all again for a new patch when the decent mods started getting incorporated into the client.

I don't care if someone else goes through it all on the test server; I've had to patch mods after the standard client was updated without a test server - it happens and I bloody know it because of the arse-ache it caused. There wasn't a test server for the micro-patch last week and some mods stopped working because of it.

*edit*

Edited by Jahrakajin, 07 June 2017 - 08:27 AM.
Avoid personal insults and accusing others of trolling

Homer_J #16 Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:43 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostStrappster, on 06 June 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

2. They look gash.

3. The mod maker decides that just changing the crosshair isn't enough and he has to showcase his talent by bundling all kinds of stuff you never wanted so you have to try and either remove the fluff yourself or find another one which does the job you originally wanted.

Strappster #17 Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:59 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHomer_J, on 07 June 2017 - 12:43 AM, said:

3. The mod maker decides that just changing the crosshair isn't enough and he has to showcase his talent by bundling all kinds of stuff you never wanted so you have to try and either remove the fluff yourself or find another one which does the job you originally wanted.

In before Achibot tells you about the configuration options available with Aslain's pack and how he can choose to install any mods despite not knowing anything about what they do.

Anyway ...

View PostTempSGK, on 06 June 2017 - 11:32 PM, said:

I've just tried them. They're very well made but unfortunately there's an animation of a shell being loaded that plays during every reload and I couldn't find a way to switch that off so it's back to grumbling about the standard crosshairs. Proving Homer's point rather nicely, I feel.

Achibot #18 Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:17 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17959 battles
  • [HUSH-] HUSH-

Perhaps I'm just being obtuse or something. I haven't made a major change to my mods or thought about them for more than 5 minutes in 2 years. I've never had to wait for my crosshair mod to be adjusted in all that time. In actual fact, the last time I did adjust that mod the Pz4 still had the L70 since that was the last time a patch broke Jimbos mod for move the 1.6 hours. Approximately, to be sure.

And as I've said above, I don't install mods I don't actively have a use for or worry about the latest in modding technology. I get the mods I prefer, a purely relative thing to be sure, including my preferred crosshair at every patch without any more effort than clicking next a few times.

That is what this thread is about. this guys wants to know about crosshair options and you guys are making it sound way harder than it actually is for him to do that. HOW DOES THIS HELP OP? Wind you neck in man, please. Can you not see this? Must you win every forum fight? Not right man.

Homer_J #19 Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:22 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostStrappster, on 07 June 2017 - 01:59 AM, said:

In before Achibot tells you about the configuration options available with Aslain's pack and how he can choose to install any mods despite not knowing anything about what they do.

I've used Aslains, you can carefully go through selecting individual mods then it goes and installs XVM with some options you never wanted or asked for regardless.

When XVM took over OTM I used to strip out the OTM bit and use it with J1mbo's crosshair, then J1mbo decided to bundle some awful zoom out mod with it so I moved on to using a few of locastan's mods until he got worn out, so I used Aslains mainly to get the minimap stuff until they added it in game but I really can't be bothered any more.

Achibot #20 Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:26 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17959 battles
  • [HUSH-] HUSH-

View PostHomer_J, on 07 June 2017 - 01:22 AM, said:

I've used Aslains, you can carefully go through selecting individual mods then it goes and installs XVM with some options you never wanted or asked for regardless.

When XVM took over OTM I used to strip out the OTM bit and use it with J1mbo's crosshair, then J1mbo decided to bundle some awful zoom out mod with it so I moved on to using a few of locastan's mods until he got worn out, so I used Aslains mainly to get the minimap stuff until they added it in game but I really can't be bothered any more.

I have zero issue with any of this. You are using the mods you prefer or not and that's literally no concern of mine. But guys, the OP is looking for additional crosshair options and you and I and anyone else with half a brain knows he has so many options and that there are very easy ways for him to access them. So why can't we just help the guy out? I am just at a loss here guys, why would you prefer to make some sort of contest out of this rather than just help the lad? Can someone address that point for me please?

Edited by Achibot, 07 June 2017 - 02:26 AM.

Also tagged with Gameplay

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users