Ranked battles - A mode designed to fail?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

HundeWurst #1 Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 67549 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

Yes it is me again, and this time I am going to post a wall of text. This time I want to go a bit more into detail about the idea of ranked battles, and highlight first my personal opinion and second why I think ranked battle in their current state will fail rather quickly as well.

So lets get started with this new masterpiece of wasted time, as if any Wargaming employee would ever read that and if that mircale would happen, what would happen next? Nothing... Still here we go:

First of all I would like to ask Wargaming to ask themselfs a question. I feel like they have not done that and as a result we do have what we have right now called ranked battles. What is the purpose of this mode?

What do I mean with this question you ask yourself now? I feel like Wargaming came up with "ranked battles" just because. Are "ranked battles" to be an equal to "random battles" in the endgame stage? Or are they supposed to be a "lesser mode"?

If we look back at what Wargaming did in the past, all the "new" modes which failed rather soon. I feel like that all these modes were designed to be "inferior" to random battles. They just were there to add a bit of diversity, but were not supposed to be taken seriously. The ramapge looked a lot like that. Do you remember the countless fun modes WoT has offered of the years for certain events? Rampage looked just like a mutated version of such a "fun mode". As so do the current ranked battles. So yet again. What purpose are ranked battles supposed to serve?

For me it feels like, and I guess a lot of people would join me in the feeling, that I am forced to play that mode. It is not in particular fun, and while I might play a round or two in its current state, I would never dumb as much time into it as I am doing right now. I have to play the mode in order to get the new improved equipment. Now if I take into account that I have to supposingly play 20 hours of ranked battles every week to get the best rewards my heart sinks into the ground. I do not want to play that much just to be able to get access to the best gear out there. I guess many more players willr ealize that very soon, and at that point will leave ranked battles, the mode might die. Long story short: I do not play the mode out of enjoyment (facing equally skilled players) but I am forced to play it for the rewards (Same like with Rampage mode and the T22sr.).

So what would I like to see ranked battle be?

I would like them to be endgame content and at the same time euqal to random battles. Once a player got his hands on a tier 10 tank he can chose to either play ranked or continue with randoms. That should be entirely down to what he/she prefers. I feel like if Wargaming would take this approach towards "ranked battles" this mode could ultimatly be very successfull, as a noticable part of the community will be interesed in such a mode.

At the same time ranked battle should not offer any kind of rewards you cannot get while playing random battles! The current design is so damn bad, its not even funny any more. There is not a single other game out there which does the same thing Wargaming is trying to force on us. Well actually lets get ranked players some rewards. However they should ONLY AND ONLY be of cosmetic nature. Non of the rewards should have any impact on the gameplay. Keep the bonds if you want them to stay, however only allow players to buy cosmetics for their tanks, nothing else.

What needs to be changed to make ranked a good mode?

I will restrict the changes to the mode itself for now. Many gameplay changes would be needed as well, however I might just name them in the end without any specifics.

Any good ranked system needs a propper ELO system. There is no way around that! Your current attempt with the chevrons is just a sad and bad replacement for a good elo system:

First of all get rid of the "vehicle rankes" and make it actually hard to reach the higher ranks:Ranks should represent leagues -  Rank 1 - Bronze, Rank 2 - Silver, Rank 3 - Gold, Rank 4 - Platin, Rank 5 - Diamond. (Ofc you can as well find some fancy other names for the ranks which are a bit closer to the military theme.). The current Chevrons would be the now considered as "sub-leagues": Bronze 10 chevrons, Silver 8 Chevrons, Gold 6 Chevrons, Platin 4 Chevrons, and Diamond 3 Chevrons. Having more Chevrons would display that you have a higher stand in the rank/league itself.

Now coming back to the ELO system. There are multiple ways to implement a propper ELO system. How that is done exactly there are plenty examples out there, you can even base that ELO system on the EXP system you already have in place. Upon ONLY AND ONLY winning the winners will gain ELO, while the losing team will lose ELO. To make that fairer, base the amount of gained or lost ELO based on the experience the player managed to obtain in every particular level.

Upon reaching a certain ELO level a player will gain an additional Chevron, if he has the final Chevron of his current rank, gaining more ELO will result into going up a rank, kinda obvious...

That will get rid of all the stupid changes in a players gameplay due to the situation in the battle, everyone would play at any given point for a victory. Still it would be fair. Someone who just got lucky being on the winning team, however not contributing towards the win would now gain abit of ELO but not as much as the player(s) who carried the team. Same obviously goes viceversa for the losing team.

All that would create a fair evironement for the ranks and chevrons itself. However now we will continue with further very much needed adjustments:

1. MM needs further adjustments - In ranked all tank types should be mirrorwed to reduce the chances of default wins/loses due to tanklineups.
  2. Maps need to be picked more carefully - Currently there are quit some maps in the ranked roatation which favor one spawn more than the other. In the higher Ranks, ELO that will start to be plain obvious and bad. Remove these maps from the Ranked rotation.
  3. Tank balancing would be required. And oh boy that is non existent on tier 10 at all. Then again that is old news.

And all that for what?

Creating a fun game mode, which is optional yet equal to random battles. At the same time The ELO system would be the by far best rating system anyone could ever come up with. Your are Rank 5 and have 3 Chevrons? You are the absolute elite. You are Rank 3 with 1 or 2 Chevrons? You are fairly average.

End of all of text.

Edited by WunderWurst, 08 June 2017 - 05:35 PM.

Hedgehog1963 #2 Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 50139 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY

View PostWunderWurst, on 08 June 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

For me it feels like, and I guess a lot of people would join me in the feeling, that I am forced to play that mode. It is not in particular fun, and while I might play a round or two in its current state, I would never dumb as much time into it as I am doing right now. I have to play the mode in order to get the new improved equipment. Now if I take into account that I have to supposingly play 20 hours of ranked battles every week to get the best rewards my heart sinks into the ground. I do not want to play that much just to be able to get access to the best gear out there. I guess many more players willr ealize that very soon, and at that point will leave ranked battles, the mode might die. Long story short: I do not play the mode out of enjoyment (facing equally skilled players) but I am forced to play it for the rewards (Same like with Rampage mode and the T22sr.).

Despite what you say, I don't agree you are "forced" to play this mode.  The rewards aren't good enough to justify the displeasure you're describing. If you don't enjoy the mode don't play it.

That being said, those same rewards will be the reason some stay.

Right now I'm one chevron off rank 4.   Looking at the teams I'm on I often see no players worse than myself and the most I saw in the five games I played last evening were two oranges.  It's already filtering at that level.  I've found a tank I like and I'm playing honestly by trying to win and  I'm in the front line trying to damage the enemy team off my own spotting.  I have to put some preparation time in with Tier VIII premiums to buy the credits to but the premium ammo before, but I'm gerring a supply crate or two for that right now.  I'm relaxed

Edited by Hedgehog1963, 08 June 2017 - 05:54 PM.

Slyspy #3 Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14169 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Agreed, no one is "forced" to play this mode.

HundeWurst #4 Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:15 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 67549 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostSlyspy, on 08 June 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

Agreed, no one is "forced" to play this mode.

If you want to stay compßetetive on the highest level you will feel forced to play. Also I dont dislike the mode that much. Actually I enjoyed it when only the best players had the highest ranks.

Still If I want to get the equipment I am forced to play the mode as of right now I cannot obtain bonds in any other way.

PS: I am annoyed by the fact that supposingly I have to play this mode every week for a considerable amount of time. I have no problems spending time on it, but every week around 20 hours? That is way to much for my taste.

Slyspy #5 Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14169 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostWunderWurst, on 08 June 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

If you want to stay compßetetive on the highest level you will feel forced to play. Also I dont dislike the mode that much. 

Yes, that is what WG want you to believe. They want to you grind and play, play and pay. But it isn't really true. 

SovietBias #6 Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36778 battles
  • [DIRE] DIRE
It's powercreep behind a time consuming and credit draining mode. More, half of the population will get, at best (if they bother to get rank 5 4 times, if I understood correctly) 2000 bonds/month. Honestly, the worst part is the powercreep equipment, but I don't see a lot of players bothering in the long run to fill that queue.

Edited by SovietBias, 08 June 2017 - 06:34 PM.

gpalsson #7 Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

General

• Player
  • 22107 battles
Imo i find this golddspam mode in tier 10 boring, expensive and utterly inbalanced. It just seems pointless to play a mode with 7 different tanks and spam gold at each other.

Achibot #8 Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17959 battles
  • [HUSH-] HUSH-

View PostWunderWurst, on 08 June 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

If you want to stay compßetetive on the highest level you will feel forced to play. Also I dont dislike the mode that much. Actually I enjoyed it when only the best players had the highest ranks.

Still If I want to get the equipment I am forced to play the mode as of right now I cannot obtain bonds in any other way.

PS: I am annoyed by the fact that supposingly I have to play this mode every week for a considerable amount of time. I have no problems spending time on it, but every week around 20 hours? That is way to much for my taste.

Not really man, right now 8 Ranks is enough to be in the Top50, much less the Top Tier:

Spoiler

1337 pages of rankings also, cute...

_EXODUZ_ #9 Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34165 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Erm, with your ability of analytical thinking you really believe that it's gonna make you more competitive considering the never-changing RNG factor?

Personally, I kinda liked it during the first day, it has many flaws and I agree with general consensus. Then I just decided that it's not for me, not worth the hassle at all.

Oh and it's still in Beta stage, don't forget.

unhappy_bunny #10 Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:33 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17409 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

Dear WunderWurst,

Please explain to me what you mean by "endgame stage". I was sure that WoT is a game that has no "endgame".

Then, what were you expecting from Ranked Battles? I haven't tried the mode yet, and most likely I won't, but my impression of them was they were to provide a form of "skill Based MM", which, after a settling in process, would allow players of similar skill (ranks) to be match in battle, or at least, to ensure the teams were balanced in a skills way. To my way of thinking, this is an optional game mode, and those that are "competitive" would embrace it, and those of us that know we cannot match the better players, would remain in randoms and try to improve our play in that mode. 

arjun69 #11 Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 91755 battles

they could have sold the ranked battles as a a step up from randoms.

do you have what it takes to be successful in ranked battles?

limitless bragging rights for the season leaders.

brumbarr #12 Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postarjun69, on 08 June 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

they could have sold the ranked battles as a a step up from randoms.

do you have what it takes to be successful in ranked battles?

limitless bragging rights for the season leaders.

That only works when you have a good rating system, and atm there isnt.

Homer_J #13 Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:16 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27068 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

You can't currently obtain bonds any other way.

And it will be nearly four weeks before you receive enough bonds for a piece of equipment.

And most won't even get enough for one piece of equipment, the very best might be able to afford two or even fully equip one tank with enhanced equipment.

JocMeister #14 Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20545 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
I think once most people realize how little they will gain for the effort and credits they will just stop playing.

HundeWurst #15 Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 67549 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View Postunhappy_bunny, on 08 June 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

Dear WunderWurst,

Please explain to me what you mean by "endgame stage". I was sure that WoT is a game that has no "endgame".

Then, what were you expecting from Ranked Battles? I haven't tried the mode yet, and most likely I won't, but my impression of them was they were to provide a form of "skill Based MM", which, after a settling in process, would allow players of similar skill (ranks) to be match in battle, or at least, to ensure the teams were balanced in a skills way. To my way of thinking, this is an optional game mode, and those that are "competitive" would embrace it, and those of us that know we cannot match the better players, would remain in randoms and try to improve our play in that mode. 

Well endgame or endgamcontent is a phrase for things youa re going to do "over and over" again after you dealt with all the other things a game has to offer. Endgame is supposed to be challenging, renewing itself all the time to keep it being interesting and appealing to play it again.

Such as in MMORPGS, leveling is just one thing you do. While I actually never have player a single MMORPG things like raids or PVP content is what you are going to play the most, when all the other things are done and dusted.

Same goes for World of Tanks. Once you have multiple (or even all) tier 10 vehicles unlocked what else is there to do? Play for fun is what is left to do. I take my joy out of the game by just being better than almost all player is face. Ranked would spice things up as it would be a better challenge to continusely compete with only the best. WoT already has an endgame just due to its nature. The high randomness in MM and maps will hardly ever crate the same battle. There is only very little repetition.

For the second part. I agree that is what I would have liked the ranked battles to be. Optional and for the people who like a challenge. Due to the improved equipment I feel forced to play however as I want to stay ahead of the cruve. That tankes a big chunk of being optional away. Something really bad.

I see ranked abttles the same like you see them. However by now a lot of fairly medicore players managed to get rank 5 as well. There is no achievment getting rank 5, I am not playing with (close) to equally skilled players on rank 5. And that is due to the sad "frankenstein system" Wargaming came up with. They would just have needed to look a bit left or right and pick one of the many propper rank systems other games came up with. But no Wargaming needed to come up with that monster, not working propperly.

I was just trying to point that out. Maybe I should highlight that any PROPPER ranked system NEEDS a PROPPER elo system to work.

wEight_Tanker #16 Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:19 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6850 battles
  • [VI90M] VI90M
RB should be restricted to non-premium ammunition.

FluffyRedFox #17 Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:25 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21564 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostwEight_Tanker, on 08 June 2017 - 08:19 PM, said:

And then every Tom, [edited]and Harry will be out in their Maus and Type 5 outplaying everyone

brumbarr #18 Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:50 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostwEight_Tanker, on 08 June 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

Why?

MofaKlaus_ #19 Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16724 battles
100% agree with you Wurst! Vote for WG Chief

_snowfIake__ #20 Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26477 battles
Game Mode based on RNG

1 user(s) are reading this topic