Jump to content


How to play a light as top tier?


  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

jabster #1 Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12516 battles
  • 21,594
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

Overall I rather like the changes to the MM but one problem I have is what should I do if I'm a top tier light in a 3/5/7 format. Before I tended to treat myself as fairly expendable so if I took risks and they didn't pay off, well not ideal but no great problems.

 

Does this really hold being top-tier. The crux of it is that I feel that I should be helping with taking the fight to the enemy but I'm also very aware that I'm still very squishy so playing too aggressively risks an early death. A good example was a game on Malinkova yesterday where our team weren't pushing and we had a bottom tier scout spotting so I pretty much sat back and tried to support as much as possible while at the same time occasionally relocating to better, well to me at least, positions. It was a close game and in the end I managed a decent amount of damage, for me anyway, but I did feel I should be doing more to really help the team.

 

Obviously there will be differences between lights, this all comes from playing the LTTB, but I was hoping there was some general advice as to lights new role.



tajj7 #2 Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 24351 battles
  • 13,836
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    03-30-2014

Lights are still support tanks, being top tier doesn't change that. It's really no different from squishy TDs, meds, autoloaders, support heavies being top tier. 

 

Support your front line tanks, spot for allies, flank, add support fire, use bush mechanics and range, use your mobility to be where you are most needed. Lights like autoloaders and squishy meds tend to increase in value as the match progresses and spreads out. 

 

No tank is expendable IMO. Ever tank has a role even bottom tier tanks, I used to curse light tank drivers who died early because I'd end up in a situation say in a Heavy where you;d have people flanking your or spotting you that light could have easily helped with. 

 

I don't think the tier of your light fundamentally changes very much, you generally play them similarly if your are top or bottom tier, it's just being top tier your firepower has more impact and your HP to the average alpha damage gives you more room to be a little more risky aggressive, but usually that doesn't come till later in the game. 



Slind #3 Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 50072 battles
  • 1,602
  • Member since:
    02-16-2011

Spot, don't get hit, try to take shots using bushes and know your chance to shine will be at the end of the battle, when there are singled enemies. Use your speed to run around them and finish them off one by one. As a thumb rule, 1v1 when you can use your speed is the perfect opportunity.

 



Junglist_ #4 Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:50 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 35127 battles
  • 1,295
  • Member since:
    06-17-2013
When top tier I play them like paper meds. 

captainpigg #5 Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 30359 battles
  • 761
  • [F-DIV] F-DIV
  • Member since:
    02-22-2014

View Posttajj7, on 09 June 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

Lights are still support tanks, being top tier doesn't change that. It's really no different from squishy TDs, meds, autoloaders, support heavies being top tier. 

 

Support your front line tanks, spot for allies, flank, add support fire, use bush mechanics and range, use your mobility to be where you are most needed. Lights like autoloaders and squishy meds tend to increase in value as the match progresses and spreads out. 

 

No tank is expendable IMO. Ever tank has a role even bottom tier tanks, I used to curse light tank drivers who died early because I'd end up in a situation say in a Heavy where you;d have people flanking your or spotting you that light could have easily helped with. 

 

I don't think the tier of your light fundamentally changes very much, you generally play them similarly if your are top or bottom tier, it's just being top tier your firepower has more impact and your HP to the average alpha damage gives you more room to be a little more risky aggressive, but usually that doesn't come till later in the game. 

 

To add to this, never discount the role you can play by simply being a distraction. Even if your gun has no chance of penning a +2 heavy (think M5 here), simply presenting yourself as a target option will more often than not result in the opponent turning their turret and tank to try and get the easy kill on something that can't hurt them, hopefully your allies will take advantage of this.

Edited by captainpigg, 09 June 2017 - 01:13 PM.


Suurpolskija #6 Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:18 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 16443 battles
  • 1,159
  • [URHO] URHO
  • Member since:
    01-26-2016

well, as a top tier I try more often get shots early in my enemies by using my mobility. In Campinovka I'll rush hill to try and deny it for enemy, spot them early for my teams campers etc. Especially with autoloaders I want to empty my first clip during the first minute or so, preferably without getting shot more than once.

 

Mid or bottom tier I'll kemp bush until 5-6 enemies are dead and then try to guess where the remaining tanks are and then make my moves.



qpranger #7 Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 30682 battles
  • 5,061
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-25-2013
If you are top tier in an autoloader light tank, you are basically God. Let heavies slug it out at first, while you tear smaller targets a new one, and then finish off heavies.

antwerp_fighter #8 Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 26127 battles
  • 136
  • Member since:
    01-29-2015
like medium? less spotting and more farming dmg?

dennez #9 Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 16745 battles
  • 4,755
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    02-26-2013

 

View Postjabster, on 09 June 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

Overall I rather like the changes to the MM but one problem I have is what should I do if I'm a top tier light in a 3/5/7 format. Before I tended to treat myself as fairly expendable so if I took risks and they didn't pay off, well not ideal but no great problems.

 

Does this really hold being top-tier. The crux of it is that I feel that I should be helping with taking the fight to the enemy but I'm also very aware that I'm still very squishy so playing too aggressively risks an early death. A good example was a game on Malinkova yesterday where our team weren't pushing and we had a bottom tier scout spotting so I pretty much sat back and tried to support as much as possible while at the same time occasionally relocating to better, well to me at least, positions. It was a close game and in the end I managed a decent amount of damage, for me anyway, but I did feel I should be doing more to really help the team.

 

Obviously there will be differences between lights, this all comes from playing the LTTB, but I was hoping there was some general advice as to lights new role.

 

Whats this spotting thing you speak of? It might be a thing on open maps below tier 8, but generally dont bother unless for a mission.

If its tier 7 you can rejoice as you probably have the best tank in the team with the most potential. Just stay away from hulldown T29's, 13 57 GF's and avoid frontally running into Jap heavies.

If its tier 8/9/X you just play as a med but more careful.

 

 


Edited by dennez, 09 June 2017 - 02:09 PM.


jabster #10 Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:43 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12516 battles
  • 21,594
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010
Thanks for all the different view points and it gives me something to think about.

spuriousmonkey #11 Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:53 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 42855 battles
  • 3,201
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    06-23-2011
In the end game you can dominate as a top tier light. So whatever you do, try to survive till the end game.

azakow #12 Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:18 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 73677 battles
  • 4,562
  • Member since:
    05-23-2011

View Posttajj7, on 09 June 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

Lights are still support tanks, being top tier doesn't change that. It's really no different from squishy TDs, meds, autoloaders, support heavies being top tier. 

 

Support your front line tanks, spot for allies, flank, add support fire, use bush mechanics and range, use your mobility to be where you are most needed. Lights like autoloaders and squishy meds tend to increase in value as the match progresses and spreads out. 

 

No tank is expendable IMO. Ever tank has a role even bottom tier tanks, I used to curse light tank drivers who died early because I'd end up in a situation say in a Heavy where you;d have people flanking your or spotting you that light could have easily helped with. 

 

I don't think the tier of your light fundamentally changes very much, you generally play them similarly if your are top or bottom tier, it's just being top tier your firepower has more impact and your HP to the average alpha damage gives you more room to be a little more risky aggressive, but usually that doesn't come till later in the game. 

Which translates to early spotting, either bushing or active.

The challenge at the keyboard is to find the right time and location in order to switch to dmg dealing.

Timing and awareness is key here.

 

View Postcaptainpigg, on 09 June 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

 

To add to this, never discount the role you can play by simply being a distraction. Even if your gun has no chance of penning a +2 heavy (think M5 here), simply presenting yourself as a target option will more often than not result in the opponent turning their turret and tank to try and get the easy kill on something that can't hurt them, hopefully your allies will take advantage of this.

Presenting yourself as a target is fine, but should be used by more experienced players only, since it takes some guts and awareness to be successful.

 



Jigabachi #13 Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:27 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 17698 battles
  • 17,592
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011
I simply play them a bit more aggressively. Like a med with rather bad armor. You can soak up a few more hits while being quite fast and maneuverable, so that allows you to put pressure on a flank.

But that's one of the reasons why I really don't like the change of light tanks. The only thing that is worse that toptier lights is toptier arty...

azakow #14 Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 73677 battles
  • 4,562
  • Member since:
    05-23-2011

View PostJigabachi, on 10 June 2017 - 07:27 AM, said:

I simply play them a bit more aggressively. Like a med with rather bad armor. You can soak up a few more hits while being quite fast and maneuverable, so that allows you to put pressure on a flank.

But that's one of the reasons why I really don't like the change of light tanks. The only thing that is worse that toptier lights is toptier arty...

I welcome the changes alot, since it was quite common to be buttom tier and rarely mid tier in the past, hence repetive and borderline stale gameplay.

Being top tier now offers a completely different challenges and aggressive gameplay is successful in many cases.



I_DiD_ #15 Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 1462 battles
  • 520
  • [PGGY] PGGY
  • Member since:
    04-13-2014

play them like you where bottom tier?  Idk why you even need to question about how to play LT's?  

 

Like they where first time in game :facepalm: 

 

They only got normal MM and some of them better guns



Schmeksiman #16 Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:47 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 16275 battles
  • 6,601
  • [INC] INC
  • Member since:
    03-10-2012

View Postspuriousmonkey, on 10 June 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

In the end game you can dominate as a top tier light. So whatever you do, try to survive till the end game.

 

Provided you do have a decent chunk of HP left.

Still you need to impact every part of the battle, you can't just corner camp at the start.



azakow #17 Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 73677 battles
  • 4,562
  • Member since:
    05-23-2011

View PostSchmeksiman, on 10 June 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

 

Provided you do have a decent chunk of HP left.

Still you need to impact every part of the battle, you can't just corner camp at the start.

Strict housekeeping on your HP pool is a must for successful LTing, even more when top tier. It will lead to the end game cleanup.



Infine #18 Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:22 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 18265 battles
  • 576
  • Member since:
    06-23-2011

Only have 13 90. It's a monster top tier. I imagine T49 derp can be quite similar in this regard.

 

It has what? About 1K damage per clip and unlike other autoloaders (cough T69 cough) it does not need to crawl to a position, spend 5 minutes aiming and zero damage criticals half the clip. No,  it can just drive up to your side/rear and fullclip you at full speed on autoaim. Then drive away because it's small and fast and hard to hit.

 

So you hang around unspotted and look for distracted/badly positioned/damaged enemies, sneak up and fullclip them. Even if they shoot you (and hit you), the trade is guaranteed to be favourable. Unless you failed to account for unspotted enemies that are waiting for you.

 

The things to consider are

1) Whether there are other tanks besides your target that can potentially be there and react to you in time (and able to to do something about you in time). A bunch of heavies contesting a corner will not be able to do anything about you. A medium hanging behind will ruin your day.

2) You have to be sure you are coming in unspotted. Does not mean the enemy should not be expecting you. Only means the enemy should not know exactly when you are coming. You hold the initiative.

3) You have to have a way out. Not necessarily a way back. Just out. The thing that makes lights not just paper mediums is that overextending is not a death sentence. You often can survive behind enemy lines for a meaningful amount of time and get out some time later and some other way.

 

Overall lights are chaotic aligned. The plan is no plan and actively looking for opportunities. You see a good bush, you dive into it. You see a good ridge, you coast it. You see an enemy out of position, you punish him. You see a way to flank, you do it. You see a hole in the defense, you run for arty. You get too much heat, you get out.



Jigabachi #19 Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:57 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 17698 battles
  • 17,592
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011

View Postazakow, on 10 June 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

I welcome the changes alot, since it was quite common to be buttom tier and rarely mid tier in the past, hence repetive and borderline stale gameplay.

Being top tier now offers a completely different challenges and aggressive gameplay is successful in many cases.

Playing well as a pre-update light tank, meaning carrying and scoring well as an absolute underdog, was THE most rewarding thing in the entire game. At least for me.

Now, a toptier light tank is basically a bad medium tank.

They should have put more effort in the light tank rebalance, like they did with arty...


Edited by Jigabachi, 10 June 2017 - 04:57 PM.


azakow #20 Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:08 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 73677 battles
  • 4,562
  • Member since:
    05-23-2011

View PostJigabachi, on 10 June 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

Playing well as a pre-update light tank, meaning carrying and scoring well as an absolute underdog, was THE most rewarding thing in the entire game. At least for me.

Now, a toptier light tank is basically a bad medium tank.

They should have put more effort in the light tank rebalance, like they did with arty...

Most rewarding, exicting, pushing some kind of adrenaline addiction, I know what you talk about. (My persective at 32k LT matches seems a bit off. :hiding: )

Curently a "bad" but very agile MT makes it fun for me.

 

I agree, more effort would have been good, hopefully this will happen soon.

:D


Edited by azakow, 10 June 2017 - 05:09 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users