247 replies to this topic

FireflyDivision #1 Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 23780 battles
  • [L-REM] L-REM

POPULAR

For GERMAN version, click HERE.

I have played Clan Wars since the first days of its implementation, and in at least the last two years, I've seen it going towards the wrong direction. I wonder if anyone shares my opinion.

When I discovered the Clan Wars gamemode, I was very optimistic because it was very original. I've played many games, but in all those games, Clan Wars were pretty much the same: you schedule a battle against someone, you play the battle, and the result counts for some ranking. Pretty basic. However, WoT CW was something totally different. Something very original. It wasn't only about randomly playing battles against other clans, but it was much more than that. It was a whole new world. 

There was a global map where you could take provinces. Each provice gave a certain amount of income. The rules were pretty simple: landing zones were only on the coasts. If you wanted a good gold income, you'd have to push away from the landing zones most of the time and establish somewhere. And this created originality, because clans figured out that such thing would have a bigger chance of succeeding if you teamed up with other clans. It led to the creation of alliances. And that's where the fun started. CW wasn't about just randomly battling other clans, but it was more intense than that. The global map tactics, the diplomacy, the risks, everything related to that was making WoT's CW original. You often ended up having alliance vs alliance battles. That was exciting, fun and intense. 

Not sure about what I'm talking about? Well, let's say it was some sort of game of thrones. One alliance would dominate an area, other clans would become fed up of their dominance, the other clans would team up, start an alliance war, and try to throw out the established alliance. Sometimes people would start wars to have fun, sometimes because they don't like people in other clans, and sometimes just for gold. 

Let's look at an example: 

tytryhtr.png

To someone who didn't experience the old CW, this looks bad, doesn't it? You would think: "what's up with these alliances? All I see is people farming gold."

Well, no. What you see here is the situation before the biggest war broke out that we've ever seen on EU. Ultimately, the blue alliance (which used to be called Rebellion, nicknamed Smurfs) ended up getting erased from the map. This war took months. This was competition. Similar things were happening all over the map. 

Now you might think: "but what about the smaller clans? To me, this just looks like something for top clans".

Well, you're wrong again. CW was just as fun for the smaller clans with low average stats. The thing is: the gold incomes weren't the same on all places. Western Europe was highest, followed by places in the middle-east and Russia. Africa was lowest. This caused a balanced spread of clans. Good clans would go to the high income zones, and other clans to the lower income zones, which makes sense. This, again, was promoting competition. I'll show you what I'm talking about:

First you had this:

rtryr.png

Then this:

rtrrgr.png Also, do you remember about that Rebellion alliance I talked about earlier? You can see it's gone completely!

Then this: 

ertyrytry.png

Eventually, that Grey alliance in Europe got wiped as well. The dark blue alliance in Africa was also wiped. 

I also remember that my clan was once in West Africa. We built an alliance and we dominated the area. This was until DOZENS OF POLISH CLANS got fed up with it and completely wiped the floor with us. They then dominated the area until another group of clans cooperated and wiped them. You see, it was a constant game of thrones style warfare. The ability to declare war on a clan was awesome.

Now you might wonder: "but was it possible to do anything on your own?". YES! No matter what you do, the battles remain 15vs15, so if you could handle it, you could also fight alone. You could make non-aggression pacts here and there to protect some of your flanks. Just remember that nothing lasted forever ;) In africa, you had 4 critical provinces by the way, which gave 1.2k or 2.4k gold. That added to the competition, and that was a target you also could go for if you were alone. CW was fun and rewarding for both good and bad clans. 

This stuff also had side effects. Good ones. First of all, there were 4 clans that were trying to be number one. At the moment we've got FAME and no one is trying to become better than them. This forum was also a much better place and there was real content (including real drama :P). I'll give you a few links to old threads in this section. You can also use those to factcheck what I've been saying:

http://forum.worldof...27#entry1387427

http://forum.worldof...76#entry2649076

You can also check the first pages of the currently active "Fontline News" thread. You can find alot of posts about CW and most importantly, stuff like this: http://forum.worldof...6#entry10369206

If you want to see more, just check the last 10-20 pages of this forum section (http://forum.worldof...ral-discussion/). You can see almost everything is about CW. Now go back to the first page (most recent page).... you see almost nothing about CW. Surely this must mean something?

So what went wrong?

Because CW was such a successful game mode, the amount of players and clans playing clan wars kept increasing and increasing. This caused the map to be clogged up. The CW map became way too small for the amount of active clans. The solution was simple: add more provincies to the map. However, instead of doing that, WG went overboard and completely redesigned CW and added new features. And the weirdest of all is that it seems like they have no idea what they want to do with CW. They seem to be just randomly trying stuff. 

I mean, they announced CW 2.0, and said "oooooh, this is going to be awesome. There will be a t6 front, t8 front and t10 front, there will be upgradable provinces (so that they give more income), there will be a new currency to create divisions and do province upgrades with"

Look at CW now. What is left of those plans? Almost nothing. T6 has been removed. Provinces cannot be upgraded anymore, and the new currency (called influence) is therefore now useless. (We probably didn't even need most of those changes to begin with, but hey...). CW players are completely disoriented and have no idea about the future of CW. 

Just look at the way CW works now. We have a massive global map, with landing zones literally everywhere and riots popping up daily everywhere as well. All provinces have the same income (except the few critical provinces), there are season rankings, and the goal is to get up on those rankings even if it means you need to do just landings daily and not try to establish yourself, there are missions etc etc. Even if you still want to establish yourself and play CW the old way, it's impossible because with all the landing zones and riots. The whole way of CW has CHANGED! Alliance wars, interesting conflicts, global map tactics, they all don't exist anymore. CW is atm all about just randomly spamming battles. The whole originality of CW is GONE. It's almost the same as in any other game now, which is sad. I don't want any of that season ranking and missions nonsense. You can do that stuff in CW campaigns or tournaments or something. Normal CW needs to be a sandbox again, with the only achievable thing being gold and the only goal being getting on the map. Speaking about CW campaigns by the way.... the last ones have been horrible. I mean come on. you turned all provinces into landing zones and forced clans to spam as many battles as possible. Again, where is the originality? What happened to the global map tactics? Why did you turn CW into a generic gamemode? 

Getting back to my point where I said WG is unsure about what to do....

Just look at what happened in the past years. They tried to hard to create new game modes. Two types of historical battles, ranked team battles etc etc. Most failed. Strongholds has been the first big success, but even that is subject to critisism because of Defenders. Also, they had to redesign the game mode because clans kept farming worse clans for boxes. Now we've got these new ranked battles. It might be too early to add that to this post, but it's still notable that alot of people are critisizing it and feel forced to play it. One thing is sure: I'm not touching it. I'm here for CW and SH. Also, there is going to be a point at which some people will ask for fun rather than the endless road of hunting for boosts and bonusses. I really think CW needs to be fixed. It has got great potential and it's also a good way to get people to spend money. I mean, back in the days, I was really motivated to get new tanks for CW (because of a combination of CW being the best game mode and tank freezing). I spent alot of gold on converting xp to free xp to unlock whole tank lines. I don't have that motivation anymore. I don't have any of the new tier 10s. I don't even see a reason to buy premium account anymore.

So how can CW be fixed? I will explain my ideas below. Keep in mind that this is for "normal" CW, so not CW campaigns. 

- First of all, remove rankings & missions/tasks and solely make it a sandbox again. By removing missions and rankings (so by not giving clans gold after each season/stage depending on their rank), you can increase the gold income per province. That's the first good step.

- Reintroduce tank locking. For those who don't know what it is: if you play a CW battle on the map (so not in a landing tournament) and you die, then you cannot use that tank in CWs for a period of time. This is good for tactics but I'll elaborate more important reasons in some of the points below.

- Put landing zones only on the edges of the map. Not in the middle. Get rid of auction provinces altogether. Riot system can stay in this case. It opens new opportunities for clans that aren't on the map and it can also break stalemates.

- Remove the warning/punishment system for missing battles. It only makes clans afraid of attacking. Clan's shouldn't be afraid of going to war. This will also make covering allies a possibility again, which is good for global map tactics and diplomacy. With the tank-locking enabled, this won't cause bad effects. Remember, this is a suggestion for normal CWs, not campaigns. In campaigns, the warning system for missing battles should be enabled, because its annoying to miss out on fame points just because your enemy keeps being absent from the battles.

- Don't allow clans that are on the map to attack landing zones. This is to make sure that off-map clans will always have a good chance of getting on the map and organising themselves on the coasts to attack inland.

- Remove the "max 10 provinces give income" limit. *Update: If there is a limit of e.g. 10, then clans won't have any incentive to attack after they get 10 provinces, which is bad. Give clans freedom. If they overstretch then they will automatically face problems, such as riots and enemy clans organising themselves and teaming up against them. If you really still want to have some type of limit, then limit the amount of divisions a clan can have (just like there was a limit on the amount of chips in the past).

- Reintroduce encounter battles. This means that in case this happens:

encounter battle.png

then the clans have to play an encounter battle. This means that first the clans play a battle on one of the two maps. The winner of the battle then gets a chance to attack the enemy province. The loser obviously defends. 

-  Unify the whole map. There shouldn't be yellow lines between zones that cannot be crossed. 

-  Divide the map into various regions (keep my previous point in mind while doing this. Clans should be able to stretch their provinces across multiple zones)

There generally should be 4 regions. I'll illustrate it below in a very simplified way:

tytryht.png

1. ~ 50 provinces with high income. This is where the best clans will battle each other for superiority and maximum prosperity. This region is too small for all best clans to settle without fighting. (tier 10)

2. ~ 100 provinces with medium-high income. This is where other clans with potential can settle and fight. (tier 10)

3. ~ 100 provinces with medium income. The place where the average clan can settle (tier 10)

4. ~ 300 provinces with low income. The place where the other clans can settle. This one needs to be tier 8. If a clan attacks region 4 from region 3, then it's a t8 batte. If a clan on region 4 attacks a region 3 province, it's tier 10. 

This system promotes getting better while it gives each clan a chance. It's also going to cause wars. Imagine what will happen when many clans in the 4th region decide that it's time to conquer higher gold value provinces. They can team up and organise a mass attack on the clans which are in the 3rd region. While the clans on the 4th region will probably be worse clans, they have a numbers advantage (because the 4th front is the biggest, so more clans). This is where tank locking comes into play. A similar thing can happen between region 2 and 1. And this is just an example. There are many ways in which wars can start in this system.

The Clan Wars game mode in World of Tanks has great potential. It's sad to see it being wasted. I don't know how many people share my opinion. Maybe its just a few people, maybe it's many. However, this has been in my head for a long time, and I also heard similar things from other players. To me it feels that CW is losing attraction. I mean, in the last months, my clan could often land without even fighting one battle, because there were no other competitors. Even if the statistics say that there are more CW battles being played now, I heard from various CW active clans that they play CW even though they don't enjoy it too much. The fact that last season was extended while we were hoping for a campaign and the fact that we haven't had any info about CW after its freeze a couple of weeks ago, adds to my feeling that CW is being neglected. In fact, I sometimes even get the feeling that WG is planning on removing this game mode altogether. That would be the fastest way to get me to drastically decrease my WoT activity. Don't remove, but improve!

I wonder what the general public's opinion is about this. I'm looking forward to your comments. 

Edited by FireflyDivision, 26 June 2017 - 04:51 PM.

AdzTownstrike #2 Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18853 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL
liked, commented... But you to subscribe :thinking:

GrandDiaos #3 Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:54 PM

Private

• Player
  • 63567 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
up hype!

Azusa_right_in_the_pusah #4 Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23616 battles
OUR LORD AND SAVIOR H4SAN HAS SPOKEN , PRAISE TO THE NEW AND THE OLD GODS AND SING THE SONG OF OUR PEOPLE

thebiggoliath #5 Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 18818 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
For our lord , Up !

_EXODUZ_ #6 Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:45 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34635 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
GJ Hassan, I agree 100%

fleshless666 #7 Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15685 battles
  • [LIVIT] LIVIT

True Story I agree.

Same with tournament 2.0 will income.

Edited by fleshless666, 09 June 2017 - 07:51 PM.

Unkel_Dolan #8 Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:19 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 25589 battles
  • [NOPAN] NOPAN

From my small clan perpective, CW is worthless because the income is very low for the amount of battles you need to get land. The only reason my clan played CW (tier 8 only) in the past month is to practice new lineups and strats because of the LT changes, to prepare for the summer campaign. But apparently that campaign isn't happening.

Same issue with skirmishes, we used to play tier 6 regularly, and with our SH level we could burn one credit bonus and these 2 hours were enough to farm boxes to recreate another bonus. Now it's nowhere near enough and the matchmaking and queue time has removed a good part of the fun so we just don't play them anymore.

And the latest blow to clan life is the gutting of the tournament rewards, we used to play 3-4 tournaments every week and now nothing.

nice_to_heat_you #9 Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22645 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
Awesome, thanks. I couldnt have said it better! My biggest motivation in my early days in WoT was to get one of those sexy VK 72.01K. The hope of getting this tank made me a better player:)

Edited by nice_to_heat_you, 09 June 2017 - 10:37 PM.

Norstein_Bekker #10 Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:20 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 19051 battles
  • [N00T] N00T
Except it's not only the CW, it's all clan-related activity.

KorelG #11 Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:29 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34767 battles
Firefly's rl name is hasan?

_EXODUZ_ #12 Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:34 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34635 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostKorelG, on 09 June 2017 - 11:29 PM, said:

Yes, it was supposed to be a secret though, my bad.

FireflyDivision #13 Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:35 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 23780 battles
  • [L-REM] L-REM

View PostKorelG, on 09 June 2017 - 11:29 PM, said:

No. It's actually Brkomir's name. 

Anyway, story goes like this:

We were doing t8 SH and we met a Turkish opponent. In that team there was someone called Hasan Commander (won't give full name). Brkomir led us to victory and started mocking him. Next two games Hasan beat Brko's tactics (we met them 3 times in total). It was a clan with under 1500 wn8. Since then, I've been calling him HASAN. 

Edited by FireflyDivision, 09 June 2017 - 11:35 PM.

binmaa10 #14 Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:38 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 30349 battles
  • [HORAI] HORAI
I really like this post. Well written and a good point :)

I would love to see CW going back to this state again, and I exoerienced most of the old map in Africa, only went to Europe within the last months of the map. 

ooostindrew #15 Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 41867 battles
  • [MEME] MEME
how long did this take to type 

FireflyDivision #16 Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:41 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 23780 battles
  • [L-REM] L-REM

View Postooostindrew, on 10 June 2017 - 11:35 AM, said: