Ranked - Chevron gain for base capture

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Chevron gain (40 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Should players who took part in a successful base capture automatically gain a chevron?

1. Yes (12 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. No (28 votes [70.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

3. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Hide poll

Chopin #1 Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:23 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 28245 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

Hi!

I made this topic because I think that the chevron system in ranked battles - which I believe is quite fair overall - have an obvious flaw. And that is the possibility, that players who took part in a successful base capture, and secured a victory for their team may end up without chevron, in case they were among the bottom 3 players in experience. I think that is ridiculous, and a system like that gives false incentives to the players. Victory should be the ultimate goal, and capturing the base at the right time is often the surest way to achieve it. 

I support the idea that every player who earned at least one cap point should automatically receive a chevron.

The legitimity of such radical suggestion is debatable, because sitting in a cap circle requires no skill (altough you had to survive to get there), and because someone who gained 90 pts contributed more to the capture than someone who only gained 10.

A solution could be to significantly increase the xp gain per cap point, so that someone who gained e.g. 40 points would surely end up in top 12, while someone who got into the circle in the last few seconds would not get a "free" chevron.

But overall I think the best option is to give a chevron to all the players who took part in the cap, no matter how many points they gained and no matter how many xp they gained during the battle.

This idea has been suggested in other topics before, but I believe a poll like this would increase the probability that WG would implement it, should they see an overwhelming support from the community.

Cheers!

Edited by Chopin, 13 June 2017 - 01:25 AM.

Spurtung #2 Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:30 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 61592 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

The "legitimity" sure is debatable.

I'd much rather see the top 3 in xp of the winning team getting 2 chevrons than any of this.

RamRaid90 #3 Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:55 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20586 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

It's fine as it is.

Should always be based on experience. If you "won the game" by capping and didnt get enough XP to finish in the top twelve then you didn't help win the game at all. If anything you hindered the victory by literally doing nothing but driving towards the cap.

In most games penetrating 2/3 shells will gain you enough XP to finish in the top 12 for XP on the winning team as the players are so bad.

Let me phrase it even simpler.

If you have fought your way through the enemy to gain access to the cap circle and enable your team to win by capping then you will already have enough xp from your damage dealt to finish in the top 12.

If you have hindered your team by hiding in the corner while your allies suffer vs the enemy and being one tank down because of your base camping, only for you to drive through to the cap and "win" the game without doing anything, then the only thing you deserve is a ban.

Edited by RamRaid90, 13 June 2017 - 02:01 AM.

rurkovsky #4 Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:34 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 47037 battles

View PostChopin, on 13 June 2017 - 01:23 AM, said:

Hi!

I made this topic because I think that the chevron system in ranked battles - which I believe is quite fair overall - have an obvious flaw. And that is the possibility, that players who took part in a successful base capture, and secured a victory for their team may end up without chevron, in case they were among the bottom 3 players in experience. I think that is ridiculous, and a system like that gives false incentives to the players. Victory should be the ultimate goal, and capturing the base at the right time is often the surest way to achieve it. 

I support the idea that every player who earned at least one cap point should automatically receive a chevron.

The legitimity of such radical suggestion is debatable, because sitting in a cap circle requires no skill (altough you had to survive to get there), and because someone who gained 90 pts contributed more to the capture than someone who only gained 10.

A solution could be to significantly increase the xp gain per cap point, so that someone who gained e.g. 40 points would surely end up in top 12, while someone who got into the circle in the last few seconds would not get a "free" chevron.

But overall I think the best option is to give a chevron to all the players who took part in the cap, no matter how many points they gained and no matter how many xp they gained during the battle.

This idea has been suggested in other topics before, but I believe a poll like this would increase the probability that WG would implement it, should they see an overwhelming support from the community.

Cheers!

Your thinking is just wrong. Base caping is worst kind of victory and while team doesn't need it at point of reaching 100% all players with cap point should be banned for a day. I TRULY BELIEVE THAT !!!

And stop with win BS, You have 2:1 cap to decap ratio amd thats why your win ratio is low. Sorry for stats shaming, just hate Your kind

Marlekin #5 Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:19 AM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 33410 battles
  • [HOFF] HOFF

View PostChopin, on 13 June 2017 - 01:23 AM, said:

that players who took part in a successful base capture, and secured a victory for their team may end up without chevron, in case they were among the bottom 3 players in experience. I think that is ridiculous

Youre missing the point of all this. 

Ranked battles isnt as much about team effort as it is about personal performance. Thats how it was advertised and thats how it works. Winning does improve your chances of getting a chevron but you still need to actually contribute instead of sitting in a cap circle. So if someone does f*** all and caps a base, and doesnt even manage to get in the top 12, I dont think he should expect to get one. And to be fair, this is tier 10 we're talking about here. These players should know that kicking butt and taking names is more exp than just watching paint dry while capping a base with meh damage done. 

Infine #6 Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:39 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18265 battles

View PostMarlekin, on 13 June 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

Youre missing the point of all this. 

Ranked battles isnt as much about team effort as it is about personal performance. Thats how it was advertised and thats how it works. Winning does improve your chances of getting a chevron but you still need to actually contribute instead of sitting in a cap circle. So if someone does f*** all and caps a base, and doesnt even manage to get in the top 12, I dont think he should expect to get one. And to be fair, this is tier 10 we're talking about here. These players should know that kicking butt and taking names is more exp than just watching paint dry while capping a base with meh damage done. 

I haven't played ranked, but let's look at the standard situation for randoms. Steppes encounter. Both teams lemming to the heavy brawl. Each team has a couple of poor souls going to the cap circle. Due to basic game mechanics one train is going to crash hard, and it's up to the couple of battered poor souls in the cap circle to win the game (if they didn't also crash). They can make a heroic last YOLO and inevitably die giving the rest of the team a honourable loss, which is painful in ranked. Or they can cowardly cap base, their only damage being to the opposing 1,5 gimps that initially failed to contest the cap, and give the rest 12-13 lemmings an unsportsmanlike victory.

Now the question is, what use were those 12-13 lemmings that supposedly "won" the game?

Marlekin #7 Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:06 AM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 33410 battles
  • [HOFF] HOFF
I'm not sure why you would bring up a random battles encounter here. What does your post have to do with earning chevrons?

Infine #8 Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18265 battles

View PostMarlekin, on 13 June 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

I'm not sure why you would bring up a random battles encounter here. What does your post have to do with earning chevrons?

The point is, however you want ranked battles to be about personal performance, in the end what statistically is more chevron-awarding is the team victory. Due to simple math. Any effort that achieves victory is more important than the effort spent to farm damage or spotting or whatever. It's the same with various WN metrics really. In the end what they aim to do is measure your ability to carry and win games. Not the other way around. The person that brings guaranteed chevrons to 12 other people is more valuable to the team than the person that gets the top score.

Marlekin #9 Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 33410 battles
  • [HOFF] HOFF

I get what youre trying to say, but in this game mode youre supposed to look out for number 1 first. If you end up not getting your chevron by trying to be valueable in the way you describe, youre doing it wrong. You mightaswell just stick to randoms if thats your way of playing.

Suurpolskija #10 Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO
If you're unsure you'll be in top12 don't cap. When ever I'm sure that I am and I know that the cap is plausible, I'll do it, though.

Chopin #11 Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 28245 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View Postrurkovsky, on 13 June 2017 - 02:34 AM, said:

Your thinking is just wrong. Base caping is worst kind of victory and while team doesn't need it at point of reaching 100% all players with cap point should be banned for a day. I TRULY BELIEVE THAT !!!

And stop with win BS, You have 2:1 cap to decap ratio amd thats why your win ratio is low. Sorry for stats shaming, just hate Your kind

Our hatred is mutual, since I hate people who attack the person who made the suggestion instead of attacking the substance of their suggestion.

There are occasions when one team lemmings one side, the other lemmings the other side, and capping would win the game instead of going back to defending the base. In that case some players are encouraged by this system to go back instead of try and cap. But since yesterday I realised, that not losing a chevron (win by cap) is still better than losing one (go back and lose) in a situation like that, so actually the current system is not that bad.

fighting_falcon93 #12 Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:33 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 29745 battles

View PostMarlekin, on 13 June 2017 - 06:19 AM, said:

Ranked battles isnt as much about team effort as it is about personal performance.

But WG never defined personal performance. So can we start by defining personal performance before we decide how chevrons should be handed out?

Is personal performance your ability to ignore your team and just farm as much damage as possible?

Is personal performance your ability to play for the team and willingness to sacrifice everything for a win?

If WG defined personal performance as your ability to just farm damage and xp, how come that the winning team still gets a lot more chevrons than the losing team? Wouldn't it be better to remove all xp bonuses, sort all players by xp regardless of team, and then give a chevron to the top 15 of those players? Or maybe actually WG thinks that winning battles matters more?

Personally I think that everyone on the losing team should lose a chevron, and everyone on the winning team should get one. Capping, killing all, diplomacy (:trollface:) shouldn't matter as long as it's a win.

@OP: I voted yes, because I know how it feels to secure a win for the team and help 12 other guys to get a free chevron, just to find out a minute later that I didn't get one because I capped instead of farming a few more shots of damage. That's what you get for playing for the team and not farming damage...

Chopin #13 Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 28245 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

Block Quote

Personally I think that everyone on the losing team should lose a chevron, and everyone on the winning team should get one.

You are right, this system promotes camping. But if your suggestion would be implemented, people would just suicide to save time when their team is at a huge disadvantage, like 0-6, 0-7. In order to avoid this, the best players in the losing team have to be rewarded, either by gaining or not losing a chevron.

h4ctor #14 Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16457 battles
i personaly think if you cap base sooner than lets say 3 minutes into the game,you should get your account banned

Marlekin #15 Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 33410 battles
  • [HOFF] HOFF

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 13 June 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

But WG never defined personal performance. So can we start by defining personal performance ..

The rest of your post more remembles a subtle rant against how this game mode works so I'll just quote this part, but in this game mode performance seems to be determined by base exp gains. So if you too are one that caps while doing little else, thus gaining too little exp, I dont think you earned a chevron either. 

What do you guys think about disabling base caps alltogether in this game mode? 

brisha #16 Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15277 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
So you want to hide at the back and when there are only a couple left each side run up and cap. That's what would happen if this was the case. You either deserve the xp you get or you don't, you have to be really, really bad to not get in the top 12 so if you don't, you don't deserve the chevron.

fighting_falcon93 #17 Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:28 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 29745 battles

View PostMarlekin, on 13 June 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

So if you too are one that caps while doing little else, thus gaining too little exp, I dont think you earned a chevron either. 

Usually I do enough damage to be aleast top 8, but that battle was an exception. It doesn't happen often at all but it was frustrating enough to stay in my memory. Saving the team and getting punished for it... super :great:

View PostMarlekin, on 13 June 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

in this game mode performance seems to be determined by base exp gains.

In that case, they should remove any xp bonuses, sort all 30 players by their amount of xp, and then give a chevron to the top X of those players. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users