Arty class- the worst tank class ever?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Hechaton #1 Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:54 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 44541 battles

In my opinion the arty class as it is right now it is the worst tank class the game has seen. At least during my playtime. The light tanks are in a good second place. 

The artys with the lack of damage are more of an annoyance than a meaningful support. Totally blind and defenseless it surprises me every time I see anyone bothering to play them at all.

And the light tanks have nothing going for themselves but speed. Everyting else is crap. So what good are they if they can't even scout? Yes, there are a few maps when you still can do some meaningful scouting, but the majorety of the maps you are cannon fodder (unless you coward like idiot at the back). WG still think they are scouts though, for some reasons unknown -see personal missions. 

The two tank classes have no meaningful purpouse in the game anymore. The game wouldn't suffer if they were to be removed- it would make it better.

What do you guys think?

Ankara_Aatu #2 Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:04 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32832 battles
  • [RIOD] RIOD

Arty always was by far the weakest class in game. In my experience it got a little bit stronger with the recent changes to accuracy, aim time and splash, despite reduced damage per shot. At least I think my damage per game in arty has increased since the changes due to hitting more shots and doing damage with splash. But it's still the weakest class by a mile.

About the second place, I think tank destroyers are a close competitor to light tanks. There are some strong light tanks, just not in tier 10. But there are some strong TDs also. So it's a tough call.

magkiln #3 Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:11 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22589 battles
  • [EKKE] EKKE

View PostHechaton, on 14 June 2017 - 11:54 PM, said:

In my opinion the arty class as it is right now it is the worst tank class the game has seen. At least during my playtime. The light tanks are in a good second place. 

The artys with the lack of damage are more of an annoyance than a meaningful support. Totally blind and defenseless it surprises me every time I see anyone bothering to play them at all.

I think the enemy team here disagrees.

http://wotreplays.com/site/3643577#cliff-magkiln-s-51

It's actually rather funny. Half the forum complains that artillery is more OP than ever, that they're getting perma-stunned, one shotted, focussed down, blah bah blah. AN dthen we have people who complain that arty is just a minor nuisance.  They cannot both be right.

Edited by magkiln, 15 June 2017 - 12:15 AM.

TungstenHitman #4 Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:18 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20589 battles
Arty hurts campers and OP slow HTs.. this is a good thing, if you neither camp or drive a slow azz OP HT then arty of rarely a problem.. simple azzzzzzzzzzz

Enforcer1975 #5 Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:22 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20449 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I have seen arty players be in the top ranks xp wise thx to assist damage and sometimes damage wise so they don't seem to be completely useless. It's still rare to find arty players who actually help by shooting tanks that disrupt the movement of their teammates but they are out there.

Edited by Enforcer1975, 15 June 2017 - 12:24 AM.

Dundato #6 Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:46 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26139 battles
Arty is the best

rado84 #7 Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:05 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18693 battles

View PostHechaton, on 15 June 2017 - 12:54 AM, said:

And the light tanks have nothing going for themselves but speed. Everyting else is crap. So what good are they if they can't even scout? Yes, there are a few maps when you still can do some meaningful scouting, but the majorety of the maps you are cannon fodder (unless you coward like idiot at the back). WG still think they are scouts though, for some reasons unknown -see personal missions. 

The two tank classes have no meaningful purpouse in the game anymore. The game wouldn't suffer if they were to be removed- it would make it better.

What do you guys think?

It's not bad at all. With the last arty update this class finally became a pleasure to play with.

Phobos4321 #8 Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:09 AM

General

• Player
  • 43082 battles

View PostAnkara_Aatu, on 15 June 2017 - 12:04 AM, said:

Arty always was by far the weakest class in game. In my experience it got a little bit stronger with the recent changes to accuracy, aim time and splash, despite reduced damage per shot. At least I think my damage per game in arty has increased since the changes due to hitting more shots and doing damage with splash. But it's still the weakest class by a mile.

About the second place, I think tank destroyers are a close competitor to light tanks. There are some strong light tanks, just not in tier 10. But there are some strong TDs also. So it's a tough call.

what about not writing anything at all when you have no clue ?

pre 8.6 arties fought for the role of top dd together with tds  even more  pre ~8.3 with old HE mechanics

income from spgs got nerfed 2 or 3 times, they lost about 40% of their hp while repair costs remained the same and thats the nerfs pre 8.6

with 8.6 it was about  40% worse aimtime, reload, accuracy, bloom, mobility  

wg should go back to the old arty for 1-2 months just to give all the whiners at least a real reason to whine about and not that  "whining about arty just because im used to whine about it no matter how bad it actually is" 

Warzey #9 Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:51 AM

Warrant Officer

• WGL PRO Player
  • 56777 battles
  • [L-REM] L-REM

I'd have to disagree with arty being the worst class. Arties can break the stalemate on a flank and on top of that they can be very helpful at taking out fast tanks. With the stun mechanic you're basically forcing heavy tanks/TDs to expose themselves longer and you severely cripple the mobility of any fast tank. Not to mention that arties are very effective at digging out annoying tanks. 

Sure, you're totally defenseless  in close combat, but that's not really a big issue. The biggest issue with arty is that you have very little impact on the outcome of the battle.You can't save a losing flank and you can't directly win a flank, you can set it up for someone else. but if someone else decides not to push you as an arty player are screwed. But I guess that's one of the thing you have to accept when playing a support class.

If you ask me, light tanks are way more "useless" than arty.

Balc0ra #10 Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:32 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64272 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostHechaton, on 14 June 2017 - 11:54 PM, said:

The light tanks are in a good second place. 

What? How so? Sure most are "nerfed" and worse off now vs before. But overall most of them still bully and harass better then anything on their tier.... and some are better now vs before. 13 90 and T71 to name a few. And I'll take them over most guns on tier 7/9.

Edited by Balc0ra, 15 June 2017 - 03:33 AM.

Ankara_Aatu #11 Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:35 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32832 battles
  • [RIOD] RIOD

View PostPhobos4321, on 15 June 2017 - 02:09 AM, said:

ancient history

Obviously I can only talk about the last 2 years or so that I have been playing the game.

Also, who pissed in your cereal?

Lowered #12 Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:13 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 28387 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

Arty needs buff, and it prevents camping...

Kappa!

Phobos4321 #13 Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:05 AM

General

• Player
  • 43082 battles

View PostAnkara_Aatu, on 15 June 2017 - 03:35 AM, said:

Obviously I can only talk about the last 2 years or so that I have been playing the game.

Also, who pissed in your cereal?

you should probably dont claim "always was" when you mean in the last 2 years

the pissing was obvioulsy done by you  more or less ignorantly claiming arty was always bad

no-it was made bad  with hard nerfs  so hard and overall like no other class got hammered before  or even after

View PostWarzey, on 15 June 2017 - 02:51 AM, said:

I'd have to disagree with arty being the worst class. Arties can break the stalemate on a flank and on top of that they can be very helpful at taking out fast tanks. With the stun mechanic you're basically forcing heavy tanks/TDs to expose themselves longer and you severely cripple the mobility of any fast tank. Not to mention that arties are very effective at digging out annoying tanks. 

Sure, you're totally defenseless  in close combat, but that's not really a big issue. The biggest issue with arty is that you have very little impact on the outcome of the battle.You can't save a losing flank and you can't directly win a flank, you can set it up for someone else. but if someone else decides not to push you as an arty player are screwed. But I guess that's one of the thing you have to accept when playing a support class.

can some splash and a few secs of stun really break a stalemate ? digging out anything ?

being completly defenseless is an issue since hardy any teammate would protect you  if your team went full lemmingtrain all you can do is to die to the enemies scouts. 

Striktly speaking scouts should be a support class too still they could dish out large amounts of damage (far more than arties) could spot, could hide, could run the arties being a support class cant do anything of that

Going for a support class in a teamshooter where the developer killed the teamwork aspect by themself (option to turn off the teamchat) is just plain stupid and to push that point further they say its a support class but isnt allowed to platoon ? not some 1 piece per platoon like wows but a complete ban from platooning ...

how drunk must you be to come up with something retarded as that ?

thestaggy #14 Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:07 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14841 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 15 June 2017 - 12:18 AM, said:

Arty hurts campers active players and OP slow any tank in general that is actively trying to play the game.. this is a good bad thing, if you neither camp or drive a slow azz OP HT don't play the game at all then arty is rarely a problem.. simple azzzzzzzzzzz

Corrected for mistakes.

Edited by thestaggy, 15 June 2017 - 07:09 AM.

Hammerhead20 #15 Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:05 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25370 battles

SPG's are the worst part in this game.

But the new Matchmaking is in the first place of the worst things.

HeidenSieker #16 Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:39 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostWarzey, on 15 June 2017 - 02:51 AM, said:

Coo! Good post. With the changes, gameplay vis-à-vis SPGs needs re-appraisal. The smart ones are doing just that. Stick-in-the-muds aren't.

HeidenSieker #17 Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:42 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostPhobos4321, on 15 June 2017 - 07:05 AM, said:

can some splash and a few secs of stun really break a stalemate ? digging out anything ?

being completly defenseless is an issue since hardy any teammate would protect you  if your team went full lemmingtrain all you can do is to die to the enemies scouts. 

Striktly speaking scouts should be a support class too still they could dish out large amounts of damage (far more than arties) could spot, could hide, could run the arties being a support class cant do anything of that

Going for a support class in a teamshooter where the developer killed the teamwork aspect by themself (option to turn off the teamchat) is just plain stupid and to push that point further they say its a support class but isnt allowed to platoon ? not some 1 piece per platoon like wows but a complete ban from platooning ...

When I've played SPGs I have helped people, and I've also been rescued, which is great! OTOH I have done the reverse when playing vehicles other than SPGs.

Support is a two-way thing, isn't it.

Edit: P.S. Why call people "drunk" and "retarded", exspecially when according to their stats they have more experience and attainment than you? It's insulting and probably against the rules, and in any case it's unseemly.

Edited by HeidenSieker, 15 June 2017 - 09:46 AM.

gpalsson #18 Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

General

• Player
  • 22134 battles

View PostPhobos4321, on 15 June 2017 - 06:05 AM, said:

you should probably dont claim "always was" when you mean in the last 2 years

the pissing was obvioulsy done by you  more or less ignorantly claiming arty was always bad

no-it was made bad  with hard nerfs  so hard and overall like no other class got hammered before  or even after

Whiner

Warzey #19 Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• WGL PRO Player
  • 56777 battles
  • [L-REM] L-REM

View PostPhobos4321, on 15 June 2017 - 06:05 AM, said:

Stun and splash can indeed break the stalemate. Of course it's not going to happen after one or two shots, but enemies will surely start to crack after a few minutes of non stop arty bombardment. You can dig out those pesky heavies like Kranvagn and IS-7, or even a hull down Russian medium, because you're accurate enough to hit almost every shell and you do enough damage, but you need to keep one thing in mind, when I say you can dig them out that does not mean you have to kill them, doing some damage to them and destroying modules and crew is usually enough to give your team mates an opportunity to take them out, it's enough just to force them to do something like attack or retreat.

Lemming trains are somewhat bad for arty, not because you'll be unprotected, that problem is easily solved by proper positioning, the problem is lemming train battles usually end with a quick victory or defeat and as an arty you want a long game. Then again, things can work out in your favor, imagine your lemming train running into enemy lemming train and whole thing turns into a 10v10 slug fest, it's an arties wet dream, it's their time to shine.

Using lemming train battles as an argument is kind of weak because other classes are not in their comfort zone in those battles, those being lights and TDs and even mediums to some extent. 

The whole "arty can't platoon" thing is a result of new MM, luckily for us, it seems like arty will be allowed to platoon in 9.19

Light tanks are not "bad" in a true sense of a word, you're aware that currently lights are pretty much shitty medium tanks and as such lights are "bad" because you can take something better. Now that we got that out of the way, it is true that lights can do more raw damage than arty and they can use their mobility to scout and move around the map, but the thing is, arty can deliver it's damage and stun where it matters while light tank can not. As a light tank you're taking pot shots and looking for lone enemy tanks, your assistance to "main flanks" usually consists of medium to long range side shots. The problem is you can't directly fight on a medium flank because medium tank is better than you in every way, shape and form and of course you can't fight on a heavy flank because your gun is not good enough to contest front of a heavy tank plus there's an obvious difference in HP and alpha damage. The point is, you have little impact on both medium and heavy flank. After 40k battles you should know what happens when a flank breaks and things start snowballing. On the other hand, arty can usually deliver its damage directly in the choke point, and in a longer fight that damage can be enough to tip the scales.   

Khitan #20 Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36526 battles

What the Kazna boy said. 

Arty these days is a front line support - very rarely will I target a second or third line camper unless it's an assured kill. Stunning a deep camper won't help my team as they can't take advantage of it - unless I want him to move and break his line of fire. 

Effective target selection is much more important these days for arty - it no longer is about raw damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users