Last resort: Crashes constantly in-game.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

128K #1 Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16126 battles

Ok I am about sick to death with this. As updates have gone on, this game has gotten more and more unstable to the point that it is now completely unplayable. This problem never has seem to gone away since closed beta, it's a joke and I feel like a mug spending all my money that I did on this game over the last 5 years.

Now, it crashes on average about once every 60 seconds or so. Sometimes I get a couple of mins or a little more, sometimes its a matter of a few seconds then crashes again. It only happens in game too, menus are fine though.

So here is my last resort before quitting and giving away my account altogether (which I contimplated many times before for various reasons, but this really is the last straw for me).

So my specs:

• Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz (4.40GHz)
  • KFA2 nVidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti 4GB (1920x1200 @63Hz)
  • 12GB DDR3 @1600MHz
  • Intel 250GB SATAIII SSD (currently installed on)
  • Seasonic Gold X-series 650W PSU

Things i've tried and have not made any difference (unless otherwise stated):

• Installing/uninstalling mods (if anything, mods make it crash more).
  • Various graphic setting changes in-game (windoed and full screen and various monitor frequencies).
  • Closing all unnecessary background software.
  • Uninstalling, clearing cache files, account files and leftover files, then re-installing.
  • Installing onto SSD and 2TB HD.
  • CCleaner reg cleaning/fixing.
  • Factory clocking CPU @ 3.30GHz (and underclocking).
  • Factory clocking, overclocking and underclocking GFX card.
  • Underclocking RAM.
  • Disconecting all unvital drives and devices.
  • Turning it off and on again.

Any help/suggestions/ideas/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by 128K, 15 June 2017 - 08:25 PM.

HugSeal #2 Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 22717 battles
  • [SWEC] SWEC
Have you tried running i in safe-mode? Could be your graphics driver or something resetting, what do your temps look like?

Nokkeli #3 Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17844 battles
  • [SWEDH] SWEDH
Drivers, OS reinstall, heat issue etc...

Balc0ra #4 Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64443 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Well then...  did you do any changes to the software or hardware... before the issues started. Or do you have drivers on automatic update to? If so, then do a rollback. As in an older version if you do.

AliceUnchained #5 Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:27 PM

General

• Player
  • 38173 battles
  • [322] 322

Use DDU to remove the current graphics driver and do a clean install. Which version are you currently using? If it's the latest or one of the latest, try using an older version. The 378.xx versions appear to be quite stable. I had no issues with WoT for quite some time but the very same day I updated to 382.05 I had WoT crash on me within the Hour. If you actually are using an older version, try updating to the latest. But either way, be sure to use something like DDU to do a clean install of the drivers.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17066-released

You mentioned factory clocking and underclocking the CPU; did you actually adjust ALL settings (or revert to default settings) or merely adjusted the multiplier?

Edit: Crashes this severe really would point at a system issue, possibly hardware failure (which can progressively get worse over time). Faulty RAM could be one. You have 12 GB which seems odd as the i5 would be dual channel and there are no 6 GB modules as far as I know. 

Edited by AliceUnchained, 15 June 2017 - 08:34 PM.

128K #6 Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16126 battles

View PostHugSeal, on 15 June 2017 - 07:23 PM, said:

Have you tried running i in safe-mode? Could be your graphics driver or something resetting, what do your temps look like?

Yeah it doesn't even start run in safe mode, even via the .EXE directly. The welcome launcher works, just not the actual game. Temps are a-ok, fans don't even spin up to a faster speed on the game.

View PostNokkeli, on 15 June 2017 - 07:23 PM, said:

Drivers, OS reinstall, heat issue etc...

Did a total OS reformat on the SSD as it was getting clogged anyway. Made no difference. Not a heat issue as stated above.

View PostAliceUnchained, on 15 June 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

Use DDU to remove the current graphics driver and do a clean install. Which version are you currently using? If it's the latest or one of the latest, try using an older version. The 378.xx versions appear to be quite stable. I had no issues with WoT for quite some time but the very same day I updated to 382.05 I had WoT crash on me within the Hour. If you actually are using an older version, try updating to the latest. But either way, be sure to use something like DDU to do a clean install of the drivers.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17066-released

You mentioned factory clocking and underclocking the CPU; did you actually adjust ALL settings (or revert to default settings) or merely adjusted the multiplier?

I will try your suggestion. Never really thought about rolling back (never knew how far I should go), only updating. I've had a few updates since this started bing a big problem and hasn't made a difference but i'l try the version you're suggesting. DDU is a good tool I must admit. I'l let you know how I get on with this.

As for overclocking CPU, I did the multiplier and voltages. Reverted to default settings (appears as X33 IIRC) and all CPU options are reverted to factory settings. Always ran cool and stable at 4.4GHz previously for a good 2-3 years (with no voltage overclock). All other settings are as from factory anyway.

RAM is in 2x 4GB and 2x 2GB configuration.

Edited by 128K, 15 June 2017 - 10:49 PM.

JocMeister #7 Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:32 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21882 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Have you reinstalled your OS during this time?

128K #8 Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16126 battles

View PostJocMeister, on 15 June 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

Have you reinstalled your OS during this time?

Yes. About a month ago.

Okay, update: Just reinstalled all new (older graphics) driver as suggested. Did a few training rounds and the tutorial with no crashing (which was hopeful), but about 5 mins into a main game, it crashed, and continued to crash every 20-30 seconds or so. Played with graphics settings, still the same. I see I got a free Premium day, what a waste...

Edited by 128K, 15 June 2017 - 10:25 PM.

pkaffe #9 Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14404 battles
  • [TNEN] TNEN
 have had a lot of crashes on my computer when playing WoT after I installed Windows 10.

I never had it with my Windows 7.

I even replaced the motherboard, powersupply, cpu and grapichs card and did a clean install of windows 10, all the latest drivers (also tried older drivers, just the drivers and no extra) and no mods and the game would still crash, sometimes restarting the game, sometimes to the desktop and even one time it rebooted the computer completely.

It even went so far that I installed a virtual Windows 7 so that I could play normally.

So I started doing some Processmonitor watching and found something weird going on when I was going to play WoT on the windows 10 computer which doesn't show up on the windows 7 computer.

After I made an change it has been something like 65 games in a row and no crashing.

The weird thing I saw was that the Xbox dvr feature in windows 10 was triggered (the green square saying "Activate screen dump: Win + G)  when you start the game.

I am running on a Windows 10 x64 computer, 16Gb, 4 HDD's, Icore 5 - K-series and a Nvidia 980Ti.

So here is my fix (I am not saying that it will help you and your computer but hopefully it will)...

1. Start Powershell as Administrator

2. Enter the following:     get-appxpackage -allusers

3. Search for the "Microsoft.XboxApp" entry in the list

4. Copy the PackageFullName (will look something like: Microsoft.XboxApp_24.25.26002.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe) to notepad

5. Run the following command in Powershell:    Remove-AppxPackage "Packagefullname the name you pasted in notepad" (for example: Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxApp_24.25.26002.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe)

6. Reboot your computer after the script is finished.

What this does is that it uninstalls the Xbox application that was installed by default in Windows 10.

If someone wants to reinstall the apps this is the powershell code for it:   Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

I hope that this will help a few of you that have had the same issues as me...

Captain_Kremen0 #10 Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36847 battles
Dual boot with an old copy of Win7?

JocMeister #11 Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:05 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21882 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Post128K, on 15 June 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

Yes. About a month ago.

Okay, update: Just reinstalled all new (older graphics) driver as suggested. Did a few training rounds and the tutorial with no crashing (which was hopeful), but about 5 mins into a main game, it crashed, and continued to crash every 20-30 seconds or so. Played with graphics settings, still the same. I see I got a free Premium day, what a waste...

Things you can try:

- Take out some memory modules. Try running with just one pair. Switch them around to different positions.

- Make sure all fans are clean and running properly. 

- Try another GFX card (old one, buy new or borrow from someone).

- Upgrade BIOS

- Try with disabled sound.

- Run a benchmark program (stress test) and see if everything works fine without crashes.

-

Balc0ra #12 Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64443 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Is this the only game it does this to? As in other games works just fine? As to eliminate a potential faulty hardware. If it's the only one, then it's more likely to be a driver or a system conflict etc.

Isharial #13 Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19540 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post128K, on 15 June 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

Ok I am about sick to death with this. As updates have gone on, this game has gotten more and more unstable to the point that it is now completely unplayable. This problem never has seem to gone away since closed beta, it's a joke and I feel like a mug spending all my money that I did on this game over the last 5 years.

Now, it crashes on average about once every 60 seconds or so. Sometimes I get a couple of mins or a little more, sometimes its a matter of a few seconds then crashes again. It only happens in game too, menus are fine though.

So here is my last resort before quitting and giving away my account altogether (which I contimplated many times before for various reasons, but this really is the last straw for me).

So my specs:

• Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz (4.40GHz)
  • KFA2 nVidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti 4GB (1920x1200 @63Hz)
  • 12GB DDR3 @1600MHz
  • Intel 250GB SATAIII SSD (currently installed on)
  • Seasonic Gold X-series 650W PSU

Things i've tried and have not made any difference (unless otherwise stated):

• Installing/uninstalling mods (if anything, mods make it crash more).
  • Various graphic setting changes in-game (windoed and full screen and various monitor frequencies).
  • Closing all unnecessary background software.
  • Uninstalling, clearing cache files, account files and leftover files, then re-installing.
  • Installing onto SSD and 2TB HD.
  • CCleaner reg cleaning/fixing.
  • Factory clocking CPU @ 3.30GHz (and underclocking).
  • Factory clocking, overclocking and underclocking GFX card.
  • Underclocking RAM.
  • Disconecting all unvital drives and devices.
  • Turning it off and on again.

Any help/suggestions/ideas/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

none of the other posters have noted this, and I may be posting the obvious, but, have you actually checked your hardware to make sure its running alright? your list is full of software changes and OC'ing but the actual hardware you've not changed

the fact it crashes so often indicates to me it has to be something either graphics related (but changing the driver should have fixed if it was this, unless the card is biting the dust as we speak), or power related (most likely this)

my guess its the PSU, if that's not giving out the power the graphics card requires, it wont be able to work properly, and would shut down causing a crash, it would work fine in the menu's however as the card isn't using as much power, and the PSU can handle it. As soon as you get into a game, the card needs more power, and if it card cant get it, it wont work

650 seems to me, a little on the low side, specially if the PC is a few years old and actively used (you never specified how old it is), over time the 12v rail wont give out what it did when it was new, and if you were close to the limits of the PSU then, you'll be even closer now

have you got another PSU, potentially from an another PC that you can try? or borrow from a friend? this would eliminate that as a potential cause if it doesn't work, or it will fix it and you'll know what you need

none of the things you tried would push the PC to its limits power wise, bar the unvital drives, but even then, if they wernt actually on during the game, they wont draw power (most drives have a setting that they will turn off after a certain time, my secondary is set like that) so thus, those wont have made a difference...

just my 2 cents

Homer_J #14 Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post128K, on 15 June 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

Yeah it doesn't even start run in safe mode, even via the .EXE directly. 

How are you trying to launch in safe mode?  It has changed over the years and I believe the old method no longer works.

Also, what happens when the game crashes?  Is it just a dump back to desktop, do you get a popup that the game has stopped working, does it just stop responding, or does the whole system crash?

AliceUnchained #15 Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

General

• Player
  • 38173 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostIsharial, on 16 June 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

none of the other posters have noted this, and I may be posting the obvious, but, have you actually checked your hardware to make sure its running alright? your list is full of software changes and OC'ing but the actual hardware you've not changed

the fact it crashes so often indicates to me it has to be something either graphics related (but changing the driver should have fixed if it was this, unless the card is biting the dust as we speak), or power related (most likely this)

my guess its the PSU, if that's not giving out the power the graphics card requires, it wont be able to work properly, and would shut down causing a crash, it would work fine in the menu's however as the card isn't using as much power, and the PSU can handle it. As soon as you get into a game, the card needs more power, and if it card cant get it, it wont work

650 seems to me, a little on the low side, specially if the PC is a few years old and actively used (you never specified how old it is), over time the 12v rail wont give out what it did when it was new, and if you were close to the limits of the PSU then, you'll be even closer now

have you got another PSU, potentially from an another PC that you can try? or borrow from a friend? this would eliminate that as a potential cause if it doesn't work, or it will fix it and you'll know what you need

none of the things you tried would push the PC to its limits power wise, bar the unvital drives, but even then, if they wernt actually on during the game, they wont draw power (most drives have a setting that they will turn off after a certain time, my secondary is set like that) so thus, those wont have made a difference...

It was noted actually, by me in fact. He also made no mention of changing drivers, and will actually do that now at my suggestion. And 650 W is more than enough to handle a GTX 660 Ti along with the OC'ed i5 2500K. It could be defective, but the normal power output most certainly is sufficient.

Isharial #16 Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19540 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAliceUnchained, on 16 June 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

It was noted actually, by me in fact. He also made no mention of changing drivers, and will actually do that now at my suggestion. And 650 W is more than enough to handle a GTX 660 Ti along with the OC'ed i5 2500K. It could be defective, but the normal power output most certainly is sufficient.

that depends on how old the PSU is, I know my old akasa was a 750w (I had it for around 3 years), and eventually it could no longer provide the power my gtx 680 + X4 955 needed, I know the CPU is powerhungry but wasn't expecting it cause total restarts as it did, changed the akasa to a 750w corsair, and the PC has been working fine ever since, recently upgraded to a gtx 980, and still it is fine

which is why I stated that it is most likely the PSU, either its on its way out, or its just no longer capable of powering their system, it may well have been sufficient when new, but if its a few years old, I highly doubt its still capable

they note some of their system, but not all, major omission being their mobo, so we cant work out their "actual" power requirements, we may find their system needs 5/600w, and that is very close to the maximum their PSU can deliver, and its never good to run a PSU at maximum constantly, especially if you want to run the machine for a few years and "future proof" it

Edited by Isharial, 16 June 2017 - 02:22 PM.

Balc0ra #17 Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64443 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostIsharial, on 16 June 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

650 seems to me, a little on the low side,

If he had a 1080 or a Titan. Then perhaps. With a 660 and the other stuff he has? Not really. As the min requirements for a 660 is 450w. As it's power consumption is 150w, even when overclocked.

If the driver rollback don't work. Then it could be other issues. There are plenty of PC benchmark programs he can run to check even if there are power or voltage issues. One thing tho.. have OP checked system temps? Or taken notice of temps when running WOT? As my old 560 ti had a busted fan one time, and got hotter then needed, causing the card to be unstable and caused games to crash. As the garage usually loads the card more then the actual battles does. As my temp is above 55 in the garage, but below 50 during battle.

Edited by Balc0ra, 16 June 2017 - 02:33 PM.

TungstenHitman #18 Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:38 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20738 battles
For some reason I was anticipating reading a thread about players that constantly crash into others during a battle

Achibot #19 Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:38 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17959 battles
  • [HUSH-] HUSH-

View PostAliceUnchained, on 15 June 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

Edit: Crashes this severe really would point at a system issue, possibly hardware failure (which can progressively get worse over time). Faulty RAM could be one. You have 12 GB which seems odd as the i5 would be dual channel and there are no 6 GB modules as far as I know. 

View Postpkaffe, on 16 June 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

So here is my fix (I am not saying that it will help you and your computer but hopefully it will)...

1. Start Powershell as Administrator

2. Enter the following:     get-appxpackage -allusers

3. Search for the "Microsoft.XboxApp" entry in the list

4. Copy the PackageFullName (will look something like: Microsoft.XboxApp_24.25.26002.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe) to notepad

5. Run the following command in Powershell:    Remove-AppxPackage "Packagefullname the name you pasted in notepad" (for example: Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxApp_24.25.26002.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe)

6. Reboot your computer after the script is finished.

I like pkaffe's solution as the easiest thing to try first and it gels with the issue increasing after re-install. Also Win 10 addresses RAM very differently from Win 7. I would drop out the 2x2GB RAM modules as my next step.

Isharial #20 Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:39 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19540 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBalc0ra, on 16 June 2017 - 02:28 PM, said:

If he had a 1080 or a Titan. Then perhaps. With a 660 and the other stuff he has? Not really. As the min requirements for a 660 is 450w. As it's power consumption is 150w, even when overclocked.

If the driver rollback don't work. Then it could be other issues. There are plenty of PC benchmark programs he can run to check even if there are power or voltage issues. One thing tho.. have OP checked system temps? Or taken notice of temps when running WOT? As my old 560 ti had a busted fan one time, and got hotter then needed, causing the card to be unstable and caused games to crash. As the garage usually loads the card more then the actual battles does. As my temp is above 55 in the garage, but below 50 during battle.

now add a bit of age to it, and 450w is still 70% of the PSU's original output, still seems a little high, no room for age or increased load on the parts

still, it would be the first thing id swap out, I cant see it being temps unless the system's getting really hot, but if it works in the garage, which as you said, puts them under higher load, I cant see it being heat?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users