Jump to content


Defensive/Manoeuvrable Tanks/TDs

Gameplay Playstyle Tanks TDs

  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

WhyNoGoodNames #1 Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:24 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 2161 battles
  • 43
  • Member since:
    05-15-2017

Hi! I am a noob, as you can see from my battle count. I have previous experience of WoT Blitz, and had my playstyle/s all figured out, but when I started playing WoT PC that/those playstyle/s shattered. The maps, much bigger than what I was used to, caused the most problems for me. I took the KV-1 to IS-7 line (I am currently having loads of "fun" with my stock KV-1S) in hope of bringing my kinda mobile/kinda brawling/kinda defensive playstyle to this new account, and found a huge problem with, as I have stated above, the map size. On Blitz, I took the KV-1S line because of the above-mentioned playstyle. But that little bit of extra manoeuvrability is NOT helping me on PC. So, to get to the point, what is the best (if there are any) mobile/defensive tank or TD line out there?

 

Thanks in advance,

             WhyNoGoodNames


Edited by WhyNoGoodNames, 15 June 2017 - 08:35 PM.


TungstenHitman #2 Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 20670 battles
  • 3,805
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016
At what tier? At mid tier, say 5-6 I find the US turreted line, the T67, Hellcat offers excellent mobility and maneuverability to cover maps and defend where needed so far as TDs go.. also I found all the Swedish lines have excellent mobility but somewhat barge like turning circle for some.. but all fast movers and great pen throughout. The JP2 has an excellent traverse that when combined with clutch breaking skill and vents actually catches out many LTs and MTs that think they are going to just race on in behind and get the job done.. monster top gun on it but can test ones patience in terms of aim time and accuracy not particularly befitting a TD

SheWasOver18 #3 Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:47 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 2352 battles
  • 84
  • Member since:
    12-11-2014
You should try Hellcat and T25AT! I had a great time playing those!

WhyNoGoodNames #4 Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:01 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 2161 battles
  • 43
  • Member since:
    05-15-2017
Thanks, I wasn't expecting my first replies so soon! I've certainly been considering the T110E4 line for a while, but now I'll definitely take it. Call me easily swayed by people with 12k+ battles, but I think that I was just waiting for someone's opinion on that line. I got to tier 4 in the Swedish TD line, but had to sell it in order to buy the KV-1. I'll probably sell my KV-1S until I've got  a better feel for the game. I am going for the German paper TD line since I want proper snipers, but I think that I will launch a foray into the better armoured German TD line later on. Also which is better [for defensive play]; the T-34-85 med line or the MT-25 light line? Again, thanks for replying so soon:).

Edited by WhyNoGoodNames, 15 June 2017 - 09:44 PM.


WhyNoGoodNames #5 Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:05 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 2161 battles
  • 43
  • Member since:
    05-15-2017

View PostSheWasOver18, on 15 June 2017 - 07:47 PM, said:

You should try Hellcat and T25AT! I had a great time playing those!

 

Thanks for the suggestion and speedy reply. As I said before (my earlier reply was meant to be to the TungstenHitman, but I took too long) I will take the T110E4 line, and am really looking forward to the Hellcat.

Edited by WhyNoGoodNames, 15 June 2017 - 09:05 PM.


SheWasOver18 #6 Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:05 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 2352 battles
  • 84
  • Member since:
    12-11-2014
Anyway, it depends on your playstyle. 
I find FV4005 good and JagdE100 awesome, but those 2 got different ways to play them.
It depends if you like to snipe and be support or you like to smash head and go berserk/

TungstenHitman #7 Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:12 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 20670 battles
  • 3,805
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

View PostWhyNoGoodNames, on 15 June 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

 I am going for the German paper TD line since I want proper snipers, but I think that I will launch a foray into the better armoured German TD line later on. Also which is better [for defensive play]; the T-34-85 med line or the MT-25 light line? Again, thanks for replying so soon:).

 

For me the German paper TD line fun stops with the first one, that tier5 death toaster, can never remember it's real name, sfl something or other lol.. that's a really fun tank with genuine gun choice headaches. its middle gun is 150pen which is enough for most tanks it will face while also having an insanely good gun arch which means you don't really need to move the tank much at all so binocs and camo and accuracy stay in play which is great. It's top gun has a 200 pen as standard which for tier5 is just fall off the chair lols but there's a catch, it has a tiny gun arch which means you have to turn the tank all the time giving away your camo and accuracy and often your position so I actually stayed with the 150 pen gun option. Nashorn is meh.. big and easy to see, slow.. not really better at all, then the St.Emil.. I saw how slow and unusable it was so while I would have loved the turret tier8 there was just no way I was grinding that StEmil..

 

T34-85 or MT25 line. well, I'm not a big medium tank player so I went from the T34-85 to the KV13 route which is a real bully tank, it has the same armour as the IS yet very mobile just a fun and solid MT. The MT25 route is great fun if you like F1 car style LTs 



Isharial #8 Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:29 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 19442 battles
  • 2,274
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-19-2015

well that's quite an odd playstyle, though there are some tanks that fit the brawling, but still mobile playstyle


 

- the American TD line has already been mentioned here, BUT, there are 2 types, there's a slower one, with the T8 T28 and T9 T95, which are VERY slow but very armoured, you'll be left behind sometimes in these tanks, and track shots leave you vulnerable, the other line has the  T8 T28 Prot, and T9 T30. this line has turrets, but are still quite immobile

lower down the American branch they are faster and less armoured, they also play different, so be warned if you go up this line that you might like lower tiers, but hate the higher ones, or vice versa

- the germans have a few lines, the T9 Jagdtiger, being one, they're heavily armoured and slow again, but a little less slow than the T95, these are good tanks, and finish with the JGP E100, a very powerful T10 TD, lower down, the T6 is the only one that is a bit of a failure, as it must get to the side of much of what it faces rather than the traditional TD playstyle of blasting something through the frontal armour

- the british have the tortoise, which is the same, but in wot it is sadly riddled with weakspots that make its armour not very useful, this line is all similar playstyle, slow, fast firing guns with known weakspots

- the Chinese have some heavy tanks, not quite as armoured as their Russian counterparts, but they are more mobile than them, and wont get left behind quite as easily, they're fast enough to wolfpack with mediums and they carry heavy tank guns, so can be very potent in the right hands


 

atleast that's a taster for that part


 

for defensive play, you want something like the VK100P (T8 german heavy) which is pretty much a steel wall and finishes with the Maus (currently overbuffed), or the Japanese O-I line, which are armoured monsters, slow(ish) but they can be very deadly

these tanks will block most of what they face regardless of whether your even paying attention to them or not


 

View PostWhyNoGoodNames, on 15 June 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

Thanks, I wasn't expecting my first reply so soon! I've certainly been considering the T110E4 line for a while, but now I'll definitely take it. Call me easily swayed by people with 12k+ battles, but I think that I was just waiting for someone's opinion on that line. I got to tier 4 in the Swedish TD line, but had to sell it in order to buy the KV-1. I'll probably sell my KV-1S until I've got  a better feel for the game. I am going for the German paper TD line since I want proper snipers, but I think that I will launch a foray into the better armoured German TD line later on. Also which is better [for defensive play]; the T-34-85 med line or the MT-25 light line? Again, thanks for replying so soon:).

 

 

so no mobile brawly playstyle anymore? :P

for "proper" snipers, try the Russian SU/ISU line, big guns, good camo, and reasonable speed for moving around

the german paper TD's are good, but there are a couple of nasty suprises in there, the nashorn was a complete waste of time for me and I hated every minute of it, the ST Emil is also a horrid grind stock, but when you get that top gun its worth it...

when you get the RHM, that's when that line comes alive

there's also the Swedish line, you should give it another go

the british don't have any "proper" snipers as such, most of them have little camo, the more "snipey" line is the charioteer, it ends with the fv4005, which has little to no camo, but a huge gun on it


 

personally for defensive play, id rather go for something such as the M4 jumbo (for the armour), or the Japanese mediums (for sniping) over the T-34-85


 


Edited by Isharial, 15 June 2017 - 09:29 PM.


Jack_Dexter #9 Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:35 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 31515 battles
  • 53
  • [9-12L] 9-12L
  • Member since:
    05-31-2011

Mid tier the US lines are best, bit disappointed at tier 10 on both lines, T30 is probably my fave. Tier 7-9 I'd go German still have Jagdpanther II even though I've got the tiers 9  and 10 in that line.rheimborsig is good and the Aufpanzer IV. Only decent Brit is the tortoise. Top tier swedes look good premium S1 is one of my faves at the moment. 

So ther are good tanks in all lines but some real dogs as well, when you find one you enjoy keep it and don't assume the next one up will be better.



WhyNoGoodNames #10 Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:37 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 2161 battles
  • 43
  • Member since:
    05-15-2017
Okay, thanks again. I wanted to know about the T-34-85 and MT-25 because I have nearly completed the grind from the AMX ELC bis to the AMX 12t, and wanted to know about the defensive abilities of scouts and meds for general reference. The T-34-85 was the most medium medium I could think of, and the Russian scouts are just so... Scouty. But no. No more mobile brawly playstyle anymore, at least for a while. I would like to give U.S meds a go but I am constantly put off by the M3 Lee. Is the M3 Lee worth it? I've heard bad things about the pen of the Easy Eight and the Jumbo, and apparently at tiers 9 and 10 the U.S meds lose their traditional decent speed.

WhyNoGoodNames #11 Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:42 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 2161 battles
  • 43
  • Member since:
    05-15-2017

Trying to keep on topic while also deviating a bit:

Are easily defensible hull-down positions in which you will see a lot of action common? Or are they mostly just hyper-defensive rear line positions? Thanks again for the replies, I (again) didn't expect any really. Most of the WoT community seems really toxic towards noobs.



WhyNoGoodNames #12 Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:48 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 2161 battles
  • 43
  • Member since:
    05-15-2017

View PostSheWasOver18, on 15 June 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

Anyway, it depends on your playstyle. 
I find FV4005 good and JagdE100 awesome, but those 2 got different ways to play them.
It depends if you like to snipe and be support or you like to smash head and go berserk/

 

I would like to develop a bit of a YOLO style in a durable tank, but would have to have some real credit farms around to supply it constantly with prammo. Cause hey, if your just gonna YOLO it, you might as well spend terrifying amounts of credits doing so:coin:.

Edited by WhyNoGoodNames, 15 June 2017 - 09:48 PM.


Isharial #13 Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:57 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 19442 battles
  • 2,274
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-19-2015

View PostWhyNoGoodNames, on 15 June 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

Okay, thanks again. I wanted to know about the T-34-85 and MT-25 because I have nearly completed the grind from the AMX ELC bis to the AMX 12t, and wanted to know about the defensive abilities of scouts and meds for general reference. The T-34-85 was the most medium medium I could think of, and the Russian scouts are just so... Scouty. But no. No more mobile brawly playstyle anymore, at least for a while. I would like to give U.S meds a go but I am constantly put off by the M3 Lee. Is the M3 Lee worth it? I've heard bad things about the pen of the Easy Eight and the Jumbo, and apparently at tiers 9 and 10 the U.S meds lose their traditional decent speed.

 

the M3 lee is not as bad as people make out, when top tier, the rof and armour are enough to put down most of what you'll face

when against T6, you still have the pen to take them out too, ofcourse, it suffers when on hilly terrain because of how tall it is, and people will shoot the little turret before you can pull up with yours, so best to stay away from hills

the easy eight and jumbo are good even with the M1A gun, 128mm pen isn't much, nor is 177mm of the premium round, BUT they can mount howitzers, which will damage anything

in particular:

View PostWhyNoGoodNames, on 15 June 2017 - 09:42 PM, said:

Trying to keep on topic while also deviating a bit:

Are easily defensible hull-down positions in which you will see a lot of action common? Or are they mostly just hyper-defensive rear line positions? Thanks again for the replies, I (again) didn't expect any really. Most of the WoT community seems really toxic towards noobs.

 

the jumbo can do hull down positions and block damage, is there's a ridge, you can use it as the jumbo, along with many of the American heavys such as the T29, or the latest Swedish heavies to name a few

if you have turret armour and gun depression, or even just turret armour, you can use a lot of ditches, holes and ridge's to cover your tank and make it hard for the enemy

just remember that artillery and HE shells can still damage you in these positions

the community isn't generally toxic if you show a braincell or 2 when posting a thread or post, you started the thread in a positive way, asking about a particular subject and people will help you when you do that, they have no reason to troll or be toxic towards you

had you started the thread like "fck team bad, no shoots just die" while managing to play worse than being afk, then people would mostly just troll you because there's no reasoning with such people, but that's more the people that wot attracts than the playerbase being toxic



WhyNoGoodNames #14 Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:06 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 2161 battles
  • 43
  • Member since:
    05-15-2017

Hmm... On that last bit, thanks. Tbh you people commenting have kinda given me some faith in the WoT community. I think that the main hate is in battles, y'know, in the heat of the moment. Geez. If people are this mad when they die in a tier 5, I'll probably learn some new words at tier 10.



magkiln #15 Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:52 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 22592 battles
  • 731
  • [EKKE] EKKE
  • Member since:
    09-21-2015

View PostJack_Dexter, on 15 June 2017 - 09:35 PM, said:

Mid tier the US lines are best, bit disappointed at tier 10 on both lines, T30 is probably my fave. Tier 7-9 I'd go German still have Jagdpanther II even though I've got the tiers 9  and 10 in that line.rheimborsig is good and the Aufpanzer IV. Only decent Brit is the tortoise. Top tier swedes look good premium S1 is one of my faves at the moment. 

So ther are good tanks in all lines but some real dogs as well, when you find one you enjoy keep it and don't assume the next one up will be better.

 

The British Charioteer is actually quite good once you've unlocked the top gun. It plays like a cross between a Skorpion G and a light tank.

Edited by magkiln, 16 June 2017 - 09:56 AM.


T_H_F #16 Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:13 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 32994 battles
  • 929
  • Member since:
    10-20-2014

Low Tier: Mauder2,Su85B, Hetzer,.

T8: Regular tanks, good TD's Rhm Borsig(slow but deadly) Udes(fast ,extreme good camu), and yes charioteer(fast, lovely gun)....



Gremlin182 #17 Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:25 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 46632 battles
  • 7,925
  • Member since:
    04-18-2012

View PostWhyNoGoodNames, on 15 June 2017 - 08:24 PM, said:

Hi! I am a noob, as you can see from my battle count. I have previous experience of WoT Blitz, and had my playstyle/s all figured out, but when I started playing WoT PC that/those playstyle/s shattered. The maps, much bigger than what I was used to, caused the most problems for me. I took the KV-1 to IS-7 line (I am currently having loads of "fun" with my stock KV-1S) in hope of bringing my kinda mobile/kinda brawling/kinda defensive playstyle to this new account, and found a huge problem with, as I have stated above, the map size. On Blitz, I took the KV-1S line because of the above-mentioned playstyle. But that little bit of extra manoeuvrability is NOT helping me on PC. So, to get to the point, what is the best (if there are any) mobile/defensive tank or TD line out there?

 

Thanks in advance,

             WhyNoGoodNames

 

Hi there I have no Blitz experience so don't know if they run test servers there but they are a great way too try out tanks you might want to try.

 

Now there is a limitation and as a new account im not sure you will be able to make use of the next one which they say is soon so maybe a week maybe more.

But they will give a date saying its available for game accounts started after a certain point and if you miss this one there will be others.

You get 20k gold and 100,000,000 credits and xp that you can only use on the test server but that lets you unlock loads of tanks you can play any tank or nation in the game and see what you might like to grind towards.

 

I make use of every test server to try out the next one or 2 tanks I am working towards so I can decide which to prioritise and sometimes avoid.

It does mean you have to download and install a second copy of the game install it in a different folder to your own game.

Then run it and log in using your own account settings.

 

Any changes to your account and any prograss is lost when the test ends so you cannot gain or lose anything


Edited by Gremlin182, 16 June 2017 - 08:25 AM.


Joggaman #18 Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:29 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 23010 battles
  • 6,031
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-23-2011

View PostWhyNoGoodNames, on 15 June 2017 - 10:06 PM, said:

Hmm... On that last bit, thanks. Tbh you people commenting have kinda given me some faith in the WoT community. I think that the main hate is in battles, y'know, in the heat of the moment. Geez. If people are this mad when they die in a tier 5, I'll probably learn some new words at tier 10.

 

You started the thread in a positive manner, and that is the way to get good answers. 

 

On topic: T67 line is the one you want:great:



Captain_Kremen0 #19 Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:35 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 36801 battles
  • 1,267
  • Member since:
    06-04-2011

At 519 battles you are probably better off grinding different lines to tier 5/6. Rushing to higher tiers without experience will result in very toxic time for you unless you are a born Unicum.

Also make that map as big as you can!



iztok #20 Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

    Captain

  • Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles
  • 2,460
  • Member since:
    10-28-2010

Hi!

> Defensive/Manoeuvrable Tanks/TDs

A rather mixed bag. Very rare tanks fulfill those conditions. Defensive (you can hold ground and bounce some/many shots) means armor, but armor mostly negates maneuverability.

Since you're technically a newbie I'd suggest you the KV-1 (tier-5 soviet heavy). Decent armor, gun and maneuverability, quite forgiving to player's mistakes and also a decent money earner. Your KV-1S is less mobile and has less armor, but its last 122mm gun is a mighty boomstick. Stay with it (and other tier-4/5/6 tanks) until you re-learn the maps and PC game mechanics and collect enough money to go to higher tiers.

And don't forget: you're here to have fun. WoT can be very un-fun at times. :(

 

BR,  Iztok


Edited by iztok, 16 June 2017 - 09:05 AM.






Also tagged with Gameplay, Playstyle, Tanks, TDs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users