Anti Aircraft Tanks ?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

igrieves #1 Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:48 AM

Private

• Player
  • 12331 battles

Guys,

I am advised any new ideas for the game need to go here? In that case does anybody else agree that adding a whole new class of tanks to the game would be fun? My suggestion is Anti Aircraft tanks such as the US Half track with Quad 50 Cals and the German Wirblewind Quad 20mm.

Playing these would be amazing.

Does anybody else agree? If so please discuss this thread and perhaps, perhaps, the development team may see it and do something.!!

Ian

brumbarr #2 Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:49 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View Postigrieves, on 16 June 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

Guys,

I am advised any new ideas for the game need to go here? In that case does anybody else agree that adding a whole new class of tanks to the game would be fun? My suggestion is Anti Aircraft tanks such as the US Half track with Quad 50 Cals and the German Wirblewind Quad 20mm.

Does anybody else agree? If so please discuss this thread and perhaps, perhaps, the development team may see it and do something.!!

Ian

And what would be the point of them? Shoot  the random planes on fiery salient?

AliceUnchained #3 Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:51 AM

General

• Player
  • 38414 battles
  • [322] 322
And people wonder why developers don't listen to (EU) player base...

Jigabachi #4 Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:54 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I know that those guns can harm some tanks and were used for exactly that in the war, but... do we have aircrafts in Wot?
No, we don't. That's why adding that class would be entirely pointless, don't you agree?
Besides that, the game is broken enough, no need for a whole new class they'll fail to balance.

WG also stated that they will never add halftracks.

btw: You got redirected here by the support? If yes, that's pretty much their way of telling you to get lost. WG doesn't care about player feedback - let alone ideas.

Edited by Jigabachi, 16 June 2017 - 09:55 AM.

DracheimFlug #5 Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles

View Postbrumbarr, on 16 June 2017 - 09:49 AM, said:

And what would be the point of them? Shoot  the random planes on fiery salient?

What is the point of the Pz I c, Pz II's or the Luchs, or any of the other tanks in game with similar guns? What is the point of the German 88's, which started as AA guns but were used very successfully against tanks out of necessity and then later specific anti-tank versions were refined from them? Just because something is designated AA does not mean it can only fire up or that it's shells are only effective against aircraft.

brumbarr #6 Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View PostDracheimFlug, on 16 June 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

What is the point of the Pz I c, Pz II's or the Luchs, or any of the other tanks in game with similar guns? What is the point of the German 88's, which started as AA guns but were used very successfully against tanks out of necessity and then later specific anti-tank versions were refined from them? Just because something is designated AA does not mean it can only fire up or that it's shells are only effective against aircraft.

No, but those he mentioned can only be effectivly used against aircraft.

DracheimFlug #7 Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles

View PostJigabachi, on 16 June 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

I know that those guns can harm some tanks and were used for exactly that in the war, but... do we have aircrafts in Wot?
No, we don't. That's why adding that class would be entirely pointless, don't you agree?
Besides that, the game is broken enough, no need for a whole new class they'll fail to balance.

WG also stated that they will never add halftracks.

btw: You got redirected here by the support? If yes, that's pretty much their way of telling you to get lost. WG doesn't care about player feedback - let alone ideas.

The Ostwind and Wirbelwind were both fully tracked. There are AA vehicles already in game. Why do you think the 'toaster' is capable of such a high gun elevation? But you are right, of course. Nothing new should be added to the game ever, just in case it turns out unbalanced. I am sure that stagnation is the best thing for any game..... 

Phobos4321 #8 Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:02 AM

General

• Player
  • 43226 battles

perhaps he want to shot down the birds ?

adding AA if there are no aircrafts to shot at doesnt sound that convincing to me

for WT GF it might work but there are at least planes to shoot down also you got 3 tanks for each battle so you wont be stuck at such an tank

playing atank that could hardly hurt any med/td/heavy they might meet isnt fun right ?

leggasiini #9 Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 13384 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View Postigrieves, on 16 June 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

Guys,

Ian

Ehhh and tell me the point of them, this game doesnt have shootable planes...

igrieves #10 Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:07 AM

Private

• Player
  • 12331 battles

Guys, I'm quite surprised at the negativity of this suggestion!

Plenty of tanks in the game have 20mm cannons and they are great fun to play. 1 - 2 have 50's too and even these are fun. It strikes me a quad 20mm can only be fun too. As somebody mentioned below AA tanks were often used to great effect in war and could be here too.

DracheimFlug #11 Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:09 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles

View Postbrumbarr, on 16 June 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

No, but those he mentioned can only be effectivly used against aircraft.

Hardly true. The Luchs has the 2 cm Flak 38 gun as a middle gun at Tier 4, and the Wirbelwind fields 4 such guns linked. Same gun. The Ostwind fields the 37mm Flak 43. Both are on Pz IV hulls, so likely viable for Tier V (Wirbelwind) and Tier IV (Ostwind), possibly higher for the Ostwind depending on its exact specs (less certain there since I don't think that gun is in game yet).

Did you look these vehicles up at all before commenting, or are you just repeating the 'Planes are not tanks!' mantra?

spuff #12 Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12201 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Mind you the game doesn't have infantry or heavily fortified bunkers yet we have artillery!!

Nokkeli #13 Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18059 battles
  • [SWEDH] SWEDH

View Postigrieves, on 16 June 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

Guys, I'm quite surprised at the negativity of this suggestion!

Why? It's world of Tanks not World of AA half-tracks 

Jigabachi #14 Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:14 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDracheimFlug, on 16 June 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

The Ostwind and Wirbelwind were both fully tracked. There are AA vehicles already in game. Why do you think the 'toaster' is capable of such a high gun elevation? 

That's nice. Now cobble together a whole line for GER, RU and US and see how far you get. 

Block Quote

But you are right, of course. Nothing new should be added to the game ever, just in case it turns out unbalanced. I am sure that stagnation is the best thing for any game..... 

Adding nonsensical features in an already broken game for the sake of adding new stuff? Yeah. I'd not call myself a DEFENDER of that idea...

And yes, I'd actually prefer if they would stop to add new stuff until they manage to fix the worst issues of the game.

AliceUnchained #15 Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:15 AM

General

• Player
  • 38414 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostDracheimFlug, on 16 June 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

The German 8.8 cm tank guns did not at all start as AA guns. They were merely parallel designs using same caliber. Which generally makes sense as retooling would not be necessary for (slightly) different calibers. Main reason you find many same calibers with all nations. And most AA guns were not able to depress enough to be used in a direct fire role, and AA rounds were ineffective against armor as they were HE rounds intended to explode in mid-air using a timed fuse. You'd have to actually manufacture specific rounds to be used for direct fire.

Oh no wait, now I notice the name. It's you...

Mav75 #16 Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30609 battles

The guns have way too low penetration for mid tiers (27 to 65 mm) and quad mounts for low tiers is stupidly op.

The reason light tanks can get away with such poor guns is that they have speed and camouflage. Something that a M3 half-track or a Pz.Kmpf. IV hull lack.

Nokkeli #17 Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18059 battles
  • [SWEDH] SWEDH

View PostAliceUnchained, on 16 June 2017 - 11:15 AM, said:

And most AA guns were not able to depress enough to be used in a direct fire role, and AA rounds were ineffective against armor as they were HE rounds intended to explode in mid-air using a timed fuse. Y

Not only that but the pen and accuracy of those guns would be terrible, meaning you would have to take your slow fedex delivery truck with no armor into a brawl. And i doubt that you would even get that close because these things were not fast and they were pretty big so they would have really bad camo (at least while moving) in game, and all it pretty much takes is one HE shell and you are out.

signal11th #18 Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 36492 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I'm surprised we are even discussing this to be honest.

DracheimFlug #19 Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:37 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles

View PostNokkeli, on 16 June 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

Why? It's world of Tanks not World of AA half-tracks 

Again, there are a great many non-halftrack AA vehicles. Pretty much everything had an AA variant, real or planned. The Germans were being hit hard from the air and needed countermeasures. 

View PostJigabachi, on 16 June 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

That's nice. Now cobble together a whole line for GER, RU and US and see how far you get. 

Adding nonsensical features in an already broken game for the sake of adding new stuff? Yeah. I'd not call myself a DEFENDER of that idea...

And yes, I'd actually prefer if they would stop to add new stuff until they manage to fix the worst issues of the game.

If to have any line in the game it had to be mirrored in every possible nation, then there would be very very few tank lines in the game at all. And there is a difference between merely not being a defender, and declaring a suggestion nonsensical without showing any understanding of the subject at all.

View PostAliceUnchained, on 16 June 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:

The German 8.8 cm tank guns did not at all start as AA guns. They were merely parallel designs using same caliber. Which generally makes sense as retooling would not be necessary for (slightly) different calibers. Main reason you find many same calibers with all nations. And most AA guns were not able to depress enough to be used in a direct fire role, and AA rounds were ineffective against armor as they were HE rounds intended to explode in mid-air using a timed fuse. You'd have to actually manufacture specific rounds to be used for direct fire.

Oh no wait, now I notice the name. It's you...

Not all the German tanks were Pz IV's either, so what is your point, exactly? Which 88mm AT guns did they have (actual or in development) when they first started firing the 88 Flak guns against ground targets? Which AA guns cannot fire at least level? You have a study of this, I take it, backing up your declaration of 'most?'

Again, some of these guns are already in game. Every available gun for the Pz. Sfl. IVc is a Flak gun and it is blatently obvious from the design that it was really an AA vehicle, not designed AT. As for shells and gun elevation, given that the Germans had already realized the utility of AA guns against armour (regardless of developing specific AT guns later, why do you assume they would limit the bottom elevation of such guns? And as for proximity fuses, the Germans did have such a fuse in development for the high calibre AA guns early war, but stopped development in 1940 and did not restart until 1944. Pretty sure they had nothing for the lower calibre guns. 

Mav75 #20 Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:37 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30609 battles

View Postsignal11th, on 16 June 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

I'm surprised we are even discussing this to be honest.

I'm @work and bored. :hiding:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users