Jump to content


Heavy tank crew skills and equipment


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

oloygaws #1 Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 3232 battles
  • 15
  • Member since:
    11-15-2012

Hi guys I'm a noob at this game.

 

What crew skills should I train on my heavy tank? In order pls.

 

And what equipment is recommended? At the moment I use -10% reload time, camo and binoculars. 



Isharial #2 Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 19778 battles
  • 2,347
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-19-2015

most go with "repairs" as their first skill, however I tend to use "camouflage", as not being shot on the way to the heavy spot, or location you want, is better than having your ammo rack taken out before you get there

sixth sense is a must on your commander

driver id go with atleast clutch braking or off-road driving, or if your driving Chinese heavies, you might want the preventative maintenance, as they tend to be fire quite a lot

gunner, snap shot, deadeye, maybe armourer, depending on what you end up with a lot, if your gun keeps getting broken, use armourer over the others

loader, safe stowage, or maybe intuition, though generally, most will go with safe stowage, I like intuition personally, as you can change to a prem shell very quickly, though it is just a chance that will happen


 

ventilation, along with rammer, and vertical stabilizer, or if you cant mount vert stab, go with gun laying drive, coated optics could replace the rammer depending on how you play and what tank you have, there's little point running a rammer on a high rof tank

you could also use the spall liner, if your playing a heavily armoured tank such as an O-I, as that will reduce the damage from HE shells and artillery provided they don't pen you


Edited by Isharial, 16 June 2017 - 07:08 PM.


IncandescentGerbil #3 Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 35679 battles
  • 1,443
  • Member since:
    11-24-2015

It's all a matter of personal taste, and unicums might tell you different, but for me, as an average player:

Always sixth sense first. If you trying playing without it, you will realise how important it is.  

I would probably get repairs as early as possible on everyone else but driver. With the driver I would go with clutch braking then off-road driving. Make that heavy as mobile as you can!

Camo can be useful, but really depends on the tank. An OI will still be conspicuous, however sneaky your crew.

I also take spall liners in a lot of my slow stuff, since the arty changes. It will save you from a lot of HE damage, both from arty, and all the Jap tanks etc. I would rather take a liner than a gun rammer, actually, although I might well be in a minority. Higher DPM is great, but it's of no use if you are already dead or perma stunned. 

 



fighting_falcon93 #4 Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:18 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 31173 battles
  • 3,902
  • Member since:
    02-05-2013
It's very difficult to give a good advice without knowing which specific HT that you're reffering to :)

oloygaws #5 Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 3232 battles
  • 15
  • Member since:
    11-15-2012
T1 Heavy american :) 

Laatikkomafia #6 Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:08 PM

    Brigadier

  • Beta Tester
  • 21325 battles
  • 4,249
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P
  • Member since:
    12-27-2010

1st. Repairs for all. At 100%, swap for BiA.

2nd. Repairs for everyone. At 100%, swap commander's repairs for 6th sense.

3rd. Repairs for commander, utility for the rest (Safe stowage, Situational awareness, Clutch braking, Smooth ride, Snap shot etc.)

 

Equipment for T1 HT:

Rammer

GLD

Vents.



fighting_falcon93 #7 Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:17 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 31173 battles
  • 3,902
  • Member since:
    02-05-2013

View Postoloygaws, on 16 June 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

T1 Heavy american :) 

 

On T1 Heavy I'd pick tank gun rammer + gun laying drive + improved ventilation :)

 

And regarding the crew skills. If you're training the 1st skill, then pick repair on all crew members. If you have more than 1 skill trained, it would be usefull to know how many skills they have :)



oloygaws #8 Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:27 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 3232 battles
  • 15
  • Member since:
    11-15-2012

View PostLaatikkomafia, on 16 June 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

1st. Repairs for all. At 100%, swap for BiA.

2nd. Repairs for everyone. At 100%, swap commander's repairs for 6th sense.

3rd. Repairs for commander, utility for the rest (Safe stowage, Situational awareness, Clutch braking, Smooth ride, Snap shot etc.)

 

Equipment for T1 HT:

Rammer

GLD

Vents.

 

and what would you recommend for T26E4?

 

thanks for replies guys :)



Bambodos #9 Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:22 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 21607 battles
  • 146
  • [ENFC] ENFC
  • Member since:
    08-17-2013

View Postoloygaws, on 16 June 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

 

and what would you recommend for T26E4?

 

thanks for replies guys :)

 

The super pershing is basically a Heavy medium. Use the same crew skill set-up as with your heavies, i.e. repairs, BiA, sixth sense, etc.

HundeWurst #10 Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:34 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 69911 battles
  • 4,337
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS
  • Member since:
    02-06-2012

Skills:

Commander: Sixth sense, BIA, whatever else you want and prefer

Rest: Repairs, BIA, Snapshot, Smoothride, and whatever you prefer.

 

Equipment:

Gunrammer, V-Stabs, Optics or Vents.

 

Done ;) Its not very hard. Actually its extremly generic.



NiemandXL #11 Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:39 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 37955 battles
  • 2,934
  • Member since:
    01-30-2013

View Postoloygaws, on 16 June 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

At the moment I use -10% reload time, camo and binoculars

 

Those 2 pieces or equipment you should only use on some TDs and light tanks. Heavy tanks are not supposed to camp base and snipe, or to do passive spotting from some bush. Because those are the things camo net and binos are good for.

EggyTheGumGumChewer #12 Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:11 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 16312 battles
  • 767
  • [CRY-X] CRY-X
  • Member since:
    06-04-2012

Get Sixth Sense for your commander as soon as you can. Train Repairs, Snap Shot and Smooth Ride for the rest. Go for BIA for second or third skill. Other than that, train Safe Stowage and camoflauge if you'd like. Remember that BIA must be trained to 100% for all crew members in order to have an effect.

 

Edit:

Equipment wise I would go for Rammer, Vents and Binos. Binos is in fact not as terrible as some may tell you. Especially in the lower tiers, Binos enables you to gain a massive view range advantage over you opponents, spotting all the way up to 445m away. I actually use Binos for most of my lower tier tanks that are not capable of mounting Vstabs.

 

I made a collection with screenshots and recommended tank loadouts. While the heavy tanks I have featured are generally higher tier, you can still get an idea of what the best choices are. Click on posts to expand them / see loadout:

https://plus.google.com/collection/UCLAMB


Edited by EggyTheGumGumChewer, 17 June 2017 - 01:16 AM.


lafeel #13 Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:19 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 4964 battles
  • 1,503
  • [LAFIE] LAFIE
  • Member since:
    03-13-2011

I personally run, in order, as follows: Recon, Snap Shot, Repairs, Smooth Ride, Sit Awareness, Repairs.

 

While not as blind as some (looking at you Kv-1), the T-1HT's view range  does leave a bit to be desired for tier 5. Feel free to make of that what you want.



Suurpolskija #14 Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 18692 battles
  • 1,642
  • [URHO] URHO
  • Member since:
    01-26-2016

I mostly get ss + repairs first. Next some utility skills and retrain to bia when at ~50% on 3rd skills.

I don't think the order matters much as long as you get sixth sense asap.

 

I'm a sucker for view range so I tend to favor optics on tanks that can reach 420+ with them. I also like to get recon and SA as 3rd skill. 


Edited by Suurpolskija, 17 June 2017 - 09:21 AM.


Dundato #15 Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 26310 battles
  • 715
  • Member since:
    06-09-2012
Bia. Sixth sense/Repairs

Laatikkomafia #16 Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:19 PM

    Brigadier

  • Beta Tester
  • 21325 battles
  • 4,249
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P
  • Member since:
    12-27-2010

View PostWunderWurst, on 17 June 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

Skills:

Commander: Sixth sense, BIA, whatever else you want and prefer

Rest: Repairs, BIA, Snapshot, Smoothride, and whatever you prefer.

 

Equipment:

Gunrammer, V-Stabs, Optics or Vents.

 

Done ;) Its not very hard. Actually its extremly generic.

 

At 1500 battles, my KV-2 had binoculars :hiding:

HassenderZerhacker #17 Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 27224 battles
  • 2,398
  • [1DPG] 1DPG
  • Member since:
    09-09-2015

View PostIsharial, on 16 June 2017 - 07:07 PM, said:

most go with "repairs" as their first skill, however I tend to use "camouflage", as not being shot on the way to the heavy spot, or location you want, is better than having your ammo rack taken out before you get there

sixth sense is a must on your commander

driver id go with atleast clutch braking or off-road driving, or if your driving Chinese heavies, you might want the preventative maintenance, as they tend to be fire quite a lot

gunner, snap shot, deadeye, maybe armourer, depending on what you end up with a lot, if your gun keeps getting broken, use armourer over the others

loader, safe stowage, or maybe intuition, though generally, most will go with safe stowage, I like intuition personally, as you can change to a prem shell very quickly, though it is just a chance that will happen


 

ventilation, along with rammer, and vertical stabilizer, or if you cant mount vert stab, go with gun laying drive, coated optics could replace the rammer depending on how you play and what tank you have, there's little point running a rammer on a high rof tank

you could also use the spall liner, if your playing a heavily armoured tank such as an O-I, as that will reduce the damage from HE shells and artillery provided they don't pen you

 

for free players, the priorities are slightly different.

 

(super)heavies with thick armor and good viewrange should go for a spall liner, optics and vents. the greater the viewrange, the better the spotting that can be farmed and spotting = credits.

 

skills wise, my 3 first skills on heavies are always:

commander: sixth sense, BIA, repairs

radio: situational awareness, BIA, repairs

gunner: snapshot, BIA, repairs

driver: offroad driving, BIA, repairs

loader: safe storage, BIA, repairs

 

normally I would put BIA third, but the third skill takes forever to train, so as repairs kick in even when not trained to 100% and I don't want to lose XP by reassigning skills, this is a more useful order, so I can use the increased viewrange and accuracy of BIA in combination with vents.

 

at first, I too had been tricked into taking "smooth ride" but now I know that skill only kicks in when driving STRAIGHT when shooting, which doesn't happen very often. I think "offroad driving" is more useful, because it improves acceleration from a standstill (by reducing terrain resistance), so it's useful for getting cover after shooting, it might make these 30cm that will cause the enemy shell to bounce.


Edited by HassenderZerhacker, 17 June 2017 - 03:45 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users