Matchmaker Improvements

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

MrConway #1 Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

WoWs Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 13046 battles
  • [CIRC] CIRC
Please leave any feedback about the improvements to the matchmaker here.

fighting_falcon93 #2 Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 31233 battles
You need to balance the amount of MTs and HTs on both teams aswell. Balancing the amount of HP wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Marppuli #3 Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:10 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20063 battles
  • [MOTUS] MOTUS

This is a step forward to making the matchmaker good. Next you need to balance the amount of heavy and medium tanks per team and we're pretty good. Also might be a good idea to put a limit to how many tanks of one type can be in one battle; it isn't really fun to play when there's 8-10 of one tank type on both teams, and the match devolves into a competition between the dominating tank type on teams. The other tanks have less chances to do their job when the teams are so focused on one tank type and their gameplay aspects.

Also, +1 for allowing SPGs back into platoons. Though in my opinion normal SPG platoons would not be any more harmful than any other tank types in a platoon.

In addition, please allow making platoons based on the BATTLE TIERS of the participating tanks, so that preferential matchmaking tanks can platoon with regular tanks! Currently eg. TOG II*, IS-6, KV-5, SuperPershing, T-34-3 and such can't platoon without the risk of meeting inappropriately high-tiered enemies.

Edited by Marppuli, 23 June 2017 - 08:42 AM.

CoolDannyO #4 Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:37 PM

Private

• Player
  • 27908 battles

It won't change enough until you balance player skill.

just use the "player personal rating" which represents significantly the quality and game awareness.

what sense does it make to match for example 3x IS3 on each team, if on one side we have 3 new players X 3 skilled players? Where does this the matchmaking of yours makes any difference in the balance?

Let me answer that: NONE!

Edited by CoolDannyO, 22 June 2017 - 06:41 PM.

Bambodos #5 Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:46 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21607 battles
  • [ENFC] ENFC
Keep improving the MM but not like 9.19 did... MM in 9.18 was absolutely fantastic but 9.19 completely destroyed that... Hardly ever top tier lately. Plz FIX!

Edited by Bambodos, 22 June 2017 - 10:25 PM.

spyspyspy #6 Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:34 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8116 battles
  • [8THA] 8THA

LOVE IT! Thank you for allowing arty back into platoon. My mate always loves to eat whilst we play, so having arty means he can now enjoy his muesli whilst dropping bombs on the enemy :D 

Supremecommando5 #7 Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7829 battles
  • [DR_GN] DR_GN

Has anyone realised that platoons are never top tier???

It occurred to me after a few games with my friend. We were always either middle tier or bottom and the same was true for the enemy platoons.

The only way to have a top tier platoon is to either make one in battle with other top tier tanks or be in a 1 tier match (e.g. all tier 5s). 

This makes playing platoons really unpleasant  as you or your platoon mates are completely wiped out by 1 tier higher or 2 tiers higher tanks. I find that I can no longer enjoy it unfortunately.

StinkyStonky #8 Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:51 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 28441 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

The biggest unaddressed problem is treating all heavy and medium tanks as if they are the same.

Block Quote

Every time the matchmaker creates a battle it’ll ensure both sides have a similar number of TDs, LTs, and arty on each battle tier.

Currently it's possible for one team to have 3 supper heavies and the other to have 3 mediocre mediums.

I'm a software developer so I can appreciate the complexities of your MM algorithm.

But ... once you have 30 tanks making 2 viable teams there is no reason why two comparable tanks cannot be switched between teams.

So if each team has 3 heavy/medium tanks, e.g. there is a Maus, an E100, a Type 5 Heavy, an Object 140, and M48 Patton and a Centurion AX, there is no reason to put all the heavies on the same team (random allocation will do this from time to time.

It would be easy to balance the numbers, 1 heavy and 2 meds, vs 2 heavies and 1 med.

It would also be easy to balance other attibutes (e.g. the hit points).  Put the 2 lowest HP heavies with the lowest HP meds to try to balance things up.

In all tier 10 games it's not unusual for one team to start the battle with 4000 hit points more than the other team.  That's 13 extra hits required by all the meds. 

anonym_YNch2j0j5oJ9 #9 Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 0 battles

Get 9.18 mm back, tier 8s are never ever top tier, same with platoons, tier 8s are 90% of time vs tier 10s, and 9% of the time vs tier 9s, typical WG, 1 step forward with 9.18 , then jumps down the Edited hole the next.

This post has been edited by the moderation team due to swearing. 

Edited by VMX, 26 June 2017 - 02:25 PM.

leggasiini #10 Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 14289 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
For god sake, F I X the tier 8 MM

CitOijen #11 Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 13051 battles
  • [RHPO1] RHPO1

Could not get a good impression since there were a lot of 9 and 10 tanks on the server and I played tier 8. Bottom, bottom etc.

MM should be that you maybe will be 20% bottom 3 tier match, 20% bottom 2 tier match, 15% top tier 3 tier match 15% top 2 tier match and 30% 1 tier match or middle tier match.

At the moment it's over 60% bottom 2 or 3 tier match when you are tier 6, 7 or 8. (9.19)

I do not want to play tier 9 or 10 tanks just to get decent mm; firstly because I do not have them (I do have a life besides WOT) and secondly because I do not have enough money to afford being able to play tier X or buy OP premiums.

If you can get those spreads in MM I will be very happy indeed. It will probably mean that tier x tanks will play a lot between themselves, but as us lower tiers are just 'noobs' anyway, that would be fine not?

FendaBenda #12 Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 47578 battles
  • [YBB] YBB
MM is flawed with a few things

Tomato teams v Unicums

OP tanks one sided like three T29s on one side and IS Black Prince etc on the other

One sided auto lading with HT or medium, even LTs. Prime example where I was was in 13 90, two 57f and a 13 75 = 4 auto loading LTs on one side for Khakov took us 4 mins to do half the kills and one third damage of team and the game was fun sorry I mean won. Felt sorry for the poor suckers who didn't know what hit them but one look at the teams might have given them a clue.

Arty
Don't need three each side as two is enough and Himmelsdorf, Kharkov etc only need one but that's more of a big nuisance by way of redundancy and hit poin pool reduction.

Balance?
Unicum load out of premium ammo but your never gonna stop them blowing through credits as most unicums are paying out for extra silver or have bought  premium tanks to earn it - plus, see ranked battles

Ranked battles
They are not ranked they are just their to earn a rank and improve Unicum stats even further - earn bonds and buy equipment that others will have to face. But that must be great watching the premium load outs abused while unicums are trying to sustain/earn chevrons if your on the losing side and hoping to be in top three.

I get that WG want to keep the game developing rather than have players tire of it.  They run from LoL to OW as they did from WoT to AW - it took two years to wake up to the fact that arty was op and AW did it differently and now it's over nerfed IMO. Especially when you consider one v three where close range arty should be able to do more damage and especially in shot gun situations as only the French tier ten might make a three shot kill - not like they can aim for engine or ammo rack.

brisha #13 Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:58 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15387 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG
Test server is a waste of time for testing anything other than T10. Evey thing is dominated by T10 and pure 100% gold spam. Play a t8 and it T10 ever time, mind you its like that on the live server too, but fix T8 ffs.

Max_Calibre #14 Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:02 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20631 battles
  • [T-OG] T-OG

Test Server is broken since last Friday 23rd when it lasted barely 2 hours before it crashed and has never been seen again tried again today Sunday 25th waste my time

Wargame any comment please?

So - how can we play or test anything, anyone, anywhere?

if it looks like incompetence smells like incompetence

then it must be ........................... ?

Fazed_Massacre #15 Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5175 battles
  • [DDBC] DDBC
not just tier 8 tho is it iv been grinding tier 7 and 8 yesterday bottom to mid tier for majority games would be nice to be top a lil bit more but its getting there.  arty errrr i dont really care to be fair yeah its a pain for the most part when there is 3 and focus you as for skill matching nah i played other games and it ruined the game for me and others just playing sweats cant u add a game mode tho with skill match for the players that would like this ?  im playing tier 8 and 7 without sixth sense and the lower tiers omg some of the seal clubers yesterday the holiest of players  unicum 40k games playing chaffee would not like to see the crew he had. i would also like to see more balance some tanks really do need a buff with power creep  like old trump says make some of the tanks great again

Bambodos #16 Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:40 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21607 battles
  • [ENFC] ENFC
I have to say platoon MM is absolutely horrible.. Youre hardly ever top tier. I know platoons have an advantage but dont punish people who just want to play with their buds.

WorkOstrich #17 Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

Private

• Player
  • 989 battles
  • [IDI0T] IDI0T

As Brisha said above, the test server is not really very useful in testing MM as most players just jump straight to maxed out Tier 10! On top of that the players are unlikely to be complete newbies so any skill based MM will not get a fair reflection either.

Perhaps you could move to testing this in Live? Perhaps using the new algo on one game in 5 (or one day in 5), and the existing algo on the rest?

On the whole though I think you should move to a "league+tier" based system to even out player skill a bit, especially in Tiers 1-3 where new players face a horrifically steep learning curve that no amount of "training ground" can really compensate for.

Melebo #18 Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16203 battles

View PostBambodos, on 26 June 2017 - 06:40 PM, said:

I have to say platoon MM is absolutely horrible.. Youre hardly ever top tier. I know platoons have an advantage but dont punish people who just want to play with their buds.

I second this. Really no question about it. I get that in a three tier spread with only three top tiers, it's very unbalanced if the top tiers are in a platoon but bannishing platoons to forever bottom tier is no fun either. I think the solution is inbetween those two: not wanting the only top tiers in a platoon is fine but compensate those platoons by barely being bottom tier. Give them mid tier and single tier more often.

Shieldwall_ #19 Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:56 PM

Private

• Player
  • 892 battles
If you dont fix the mm to make the teams in random have almost the same personal rating this game will be for ever broken

Bambodos #20 Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:36 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21607 battles
  • [ENFC] ENFC
FIX Tier 6 & 8 MM!

Also tagged with 9.19.1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users